I Need Something Creative To Do

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I mainly listen to music and play games as hobbies. While there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that I've found myself wanting to do something creative, but I can't think of what. I've tried making music (FL Studio) but didn't have much fun with that. So my question for everyone here is, what are some creative hobbies that you are interested in and could reccomend? It can be anything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Just try everything and see what sticks. The tools to do practically anything are out there and aren't really expensive. Hell, all you need to write a poem is a piece of paper and a pencil. That's all you need to draw, too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Make some pixel art.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Scrap booking of course.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Blog.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

Woodworking

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Steven King said it best, you have to be able to write 10 pages a day without fail even on holidays. So try setting up a habit where your can analyze your work flow. Even the best musicians and artists don't really think of their craft as art just work.

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is super useful thanks everyone! Pixel art sounds fun and I think analysing my work flow is a great idea as well. I'll keep an eye on the thread but I already have a good starting point I think.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fruity Loops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Lock yourself in a basement and make dubstep drops until you lose brain functions.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You won't find a more flexible canvas for creativity than code, so I would recommend that you learn a programming language.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go twerk some senior citizens. They'll thank you for it.

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stete: I was thinking of trying c++ or maybe c#, which do you think would be better as a first language?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arabes

@noahtheboa999: Go C#, C++ is only really used in legacy apps now and it's a bit of a cunt to program in. Just remember that it'll take some time before you can program anything fun. I've been at it on and off for 15 years now and I still fucking hate it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

Well, you might like model building. There are easy kits you can buy that have all the things you need, and at the end you have a nice little model to show off for your efforts.

http://www.megahobby.com/images/view.aspx?productId=56772

If you like that model building is pretty easy if you are patient and have a hobby spot to work at. Small model like this you just need an 18" x 24" space. If you can swing it a few tiny clamps (paper clips?), hobby knife, Emery boards (cheap nail files), a few extra paint brushes are not expensive, but will help with your build.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Perhaps you could do something creative in your video games? There's plenty of games out there that let you build something for that game, in some fashion. And there's always the modding scene.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cure cancer

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been considering getting into music production as well, but don't really know where to start. If anyone has recommendations for how a beginner should tackle such a thing, please I will take any advise.

I know I need some sort of daw and a midi keyboard, but is there other stuff I should look into? Any recommendations for a daw? Im mostly looking for something that's beginner friendly, reasonably priced, and has a lot of different sounds to play around with. Im also wondering what I would need to properly record a guitar. Would that require a microphone, or is there some sort of adapter I could directly plug into a computer? Again, I would like a daw that has lots of guitar effects/etc to play around with. Also, it needs to be for windows, since that's what I have.

How does this midi keyboard look? Its the best Ive seen for the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Web design started as a hobby about 12 years ago for me, and now I'm trying to make a career out of it. There's something crazy relaxing and reward about it for me. This semester I have a sketching class I had to take, and it's reignited my lifelong desire to learn how to draw, and for the first time I'm actually seeing progress. I say give web design or drawing a go. You can even make your stuff about games or music so you can have stuff you already enjoy in the mix.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust

@believer258said it best in my opinion. Look for what it feel like doing, painting, writing, drawing, music, etc.

Just know that for the first times, it won't be that much fun. But afterwards, if you insist and cherish that hobby, it can become a passion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93: Do you have the keyboard for Rock Band 3? I could have sworn that acts as a midi keyboard. Could be wrong though.

I got into music production a few years ago, I recommend getting a program, maybe Acid or Fruity Loops, a bunch of loops and experiment with making simple beats, and progress from there. What helped me was listening to music, and focusing on specific parts, breaking down what the song actually consists of. It went a long way towards helping me understand how simple song construction really is, it changed how I hear music all together too. Your first few song will probably suck, but don't get discouraged!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to play an instrument. Learn music theory. Then go back and try making music.

Some people who never learned theory "get" theory. It clicks and you can tell they know why music works, they just don't know how to say how it works.

And other people just drag loops on top of one another. The stuff sounds all right, but it sounds so boring.

It's like learning how to cook. You can learn what all the spices do, why they do it, and when to use them. Or you can just follow recipes.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93: Do you have the keyboard for Rock Band 3? I could have sworn that acts as a midi keyboard. Could be wrong though.

I got into music production a few years ago, I recommend getting a program, maybe Acid or Fruity Loops, a bunch of loops and experiment with making simple beats, and progress from there. What helped me was listening to music, and focusing on specific parts, breaking down what the song actually consists of. It went a long way towards helping me understand how simple song construction really is, it changed how I hear music all together too. Your first few song will probably suck, but don't get discouraged!

dont have that, no. Thanks for the advise though! Ive been playing guitar for a decent chunk of time and I have a decent grasp on music and what makes a good song, but I've never tried my hand at fully producing a song myself, but I've always wanted to.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say experiment with stuff you've never tried and see if its something you'll like.

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meth