I need your assistance, duders!

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thebatmobile

I'm writing a research paper on English accents. I would really appreciate it if you could fill out my questionnaire right here.

It will only take you about a minute. Cheers!

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Done it.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Done and done, it sounds like a pretty interesting idea you've got.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys! This community really is the best.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexanderSheen

"I did it.

It was me."

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pezen

I like the questions, and had it been about Swedish some of my answers would be the complete opposite interestingly enough.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did it!

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: @dungbootle: @pezen: Thank you!

@pezen said:

I like the questions, and had it been about Swedish some of my answers would be the complete opposite interestingly enough.

Do you mean that you trust Swedish native-speakers more than non-native speakers? And that this is not the case when it comes to English? Do you have any theory as to why that is?

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Done

Tesuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Done

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Winternet

@thebatmobile: What do you mean by "trust"? Are you talking about general trust or do you mean something more specific?

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Done.

Interesting, made me put my hand on my face and think for a few seconds.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thebatmobile

@winternet said:

@thebatmobile: What do you mean by "trust"? Are you talking about the general trust or do you mean something more specific?

Let's say you hear a statement from a non-native speaker and the same statement from a native speaker. Who do you think you would trust more?

EDIT: So yes, general trust.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebatmobile: The best way to describe it would be to say whatever differences between me and the non-native speaker have (be it idealogical, cultural or superficial differences) are enhanced when their grasp of Swedish is poor. While with a similar individual who speaks Swedish fluently those traits are subconsciously rendered more irrelevant. Probably due in part for some arbitrary "he speaks like me" thing, but mostly due to the fact that communication and tonality is easier to grasp. There's less chance of misunderstood intent.

So for me, it's not necessarily if they're a native or non-native speaker. But that's why I think a good grasp of the language of the country you choose to live in is important because it makes communication so much easier for everyone, which turns into less misunderstandings and better dialogue.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm weirded out that I took a survey in English, but now SurveyMonkey is yelling German at me.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Survey'd!

Any chance you'd be willing to post your findings after your're done with your paper? Based on the questions asked in the survey it seems like you focusing on a pretty interesting topic.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet said:

@thebatmobile: What do you mean by "trust"? Are you talking about the general trust or do you mean something more specific?

Let's say you hear a statement from a non-native speaker and the same statement from a native speaker. Who do you think you would trust more?

EDIT: So yes, general trust.

Then, I think I'll say no? I mean, it depends on the situation. So, unless the statement is about the language itself, I don't think their native tongue would matter in terms of trust.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theguy

There was recently a documentary on BBC about where all the English accents came from and what influenced them in different areas, immigrants from different areas and stuff. I did't actually watch it but it looked really interesting.

I'm weirded out that I took a survey in English, but now SurveyMonkey is yelling German at me.

KLAR JA?!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebatmobile: would have done it, but it's not accepting the touch control on my iPad on the radio buttons. Sorry.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebatmobile

@ravenlight: Thank you! If I remember, I will absolutely post the finished paper in this thread. Glad to hear that so many of you find this interesting.

@oscar__explosion: Thank you for trying though! It will be up for a few days, so if you find yourself at a computer, give it another shot.