I play drums, watch me play drums

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainCody

So I've been playing drums for a few years, in a band and all that shit. But, I picked up a camera a couple months ago so I could make some drum covers for the internets! As a way of helping promote my band, along with it being something to keep drums entertaining.

Here's my latest one:

By all means not perfect but I don't think I care enough to ever waste enough time considering theirs enough problems with video angles and the sort as is.

While I'm at it, does anyone else want to share their musical experience? Feel free to show off some of your sweet skills as well! All discussion pertaining to music is welcome in my book.

Update 1: I may as well post my Astral Body cover in here as well! I'm aware of my fuck ups but I can only get so OCD about it till I decide I'm wasting my time worrying about it.

Everyone feel free to keep posting whatever musical content they have like the very talented csl316 has!

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ShockD

That was a good watch, you're good with the sticks.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

I have no idea how to judge drumming when it's like this, not to be rude but it just sounds like random banging. Two friends of mine are extremely talented drummers. I still think them just drumming sounds like me banging together some plates.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Sambambo

Why would you choose to shave your face and nothing else?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaptainCody

@ShockD: Thanks, man!

@Baillie: I understand what you mean, but I play jazzy and indie stuff too like The Dear Hunter and Reign of Kindo. You have to be exposed to a type of music to appreciate what it takes I suppose.

@SuperSambo said:

Why would you choose to shave your face and nothing else?

You mean why I don't have a mustache? Otherwsie I'm not sure what you mean. I look like a hardcore Mexican with a mustache.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Strife777
@CaptainCody "I look like a hardcore Mexican with a mustache." And how is that anything other than great?
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jams

Can I get something other than angry drumming? How about some jazz drumming with some brushes? Something slower than 900 BPM

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Giant Bombs own Alex Navarro posted a link on twitter a while a go showing a drummer who apparantly was "SUPER DUPER AMAZING WOAAAH! MATRIX! EPIC FOR THE WIN!"(Yes! I accuse Alex of speaking like that!) 
Had just as hard a time then to figure out exactly what it was I needed to hear because it's all just one guy making noises with a drumkit. 

No offense though, I'm sure that to other drummers whatever you're doing sounds amazing :P 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

Man that china is savage. You're actually pretty good. How long have you been playing? Favorite drummer?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Canteu

Hey you're pretty good. All i can say is make your fills more ridiculous, then i'll be satisfied.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainCody

@Strife777: I don't want to get arrested.

@Jams: I did cover a Scale the Summit song if you wanted to check that out, more of what you're looking for.

@ZeForgotten: none taken, man! It's harder to look at from the outside.

@laserbolts: Its an Agazarian, used to have a Zildjian till it went to shit, replaced it with that. It breaks all the fucking time, I've had it under warranty, replaced it twice, and now I would need to ship it out for that to happen which sounds annoying for me.

Thanks though! been playing for 3 years, and my favorite drummer would be Blake Richardson:

The best
The best

@Canteu: Thanks, bro! I usually try to follow songs unless they're more simplistic and allow for that level of flexibility, I'll see what I can do though ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CaptainCody: I wish I had a picture of Blake pointing at my face... and even as a straight male I would also like to point out how ruggedly good looking Blake and Tommy are.

What a dreamboat
What a dreamboat
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptainCody

@TheVeteran13: I'd spin his stick, if you know what I mean.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fattony12000

@CaptainCody:

I don't/can't/won't drum, but my girlfriend does! I do spin Drum & Bass, that's like drumming for people who can count up to four and also have hands.

You got skills for sure, what about stuff that's a little slower? Put those fills to the test with some Dire Straits!

Also, an overhead camera that's facing you would really show off the kit and your hits.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainCody

@Fattony12000: You get to a point where you can play anything, that's just what I prefer mostly. And I know that a better camera angle would help, but the lack of a tripod and the lack of desire to set up some ghetto rig is what's preventing me unfortunately, but thanks! That man definitely has some talent but those sticks scare me!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By csl316
@CaptainCody: Cool cover, I saw Periphery on accident a while back and they put on a pretty damn good show.  Though I'll admit that my djent interest sort of ends with Meshuggah and Animals as Leaders.

As for my musical contribution, I found some jazzy Rage Against the Machine cover and I couldn't help but play over it!

And here's the sort of metal I like to write:

I got plenty I'd like to record, but god damn is it hard to find a good drummer around here.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainCody

@csl316: Thanks, and I saw them live at a venue near me and they were kickass! And that's some baller shit man, great stuff! Ironically though, their are a decent number of great drummers in a lot of the bands in my scene by Rhode Island. Finding a drummer who's actually really good has seemed to always be a problem unfortunately.

On a side note: I uploaded my Astral Body cover yesterday and I suppose I'll link it in the OP.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By csl316
@CaptainCody: Nice Scale the Summit cover, as well.  I just happen to be wearing my signed Collective shirt in video #2.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaptainCody

@csl316 said:

@CaptainCody: Nice Scale the Summit cover, as well. I just happen to be wearing my signed Collective shirt in video #2.

Oh damn, I didn't even notice! I always wanted to see them live too. I can't stand the heavy seen sometimes because of moshing when I just want to enjoy the music. No one can mosh to Scale the Summit unless they're really high/drunk or something, then I can just LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csl316
@CaptainCody I actually didn't even know who they were. I heard the name in passing, but they showed up at some show around The Collective's release and hot damn, I was instantly sold. They just had a very inviting set. Just played their tunes and seemed like cool dudes. I stopped by their table and they totally were!
kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kre8havoc

Not bad. Watch your timing, you tend to want to rush.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainCody

@csl316 said:

@CaptainCody I actually didn't even know who they were. I heard the name in passing, but they showed up at some show around The Collective's release and hot damn, I was instantly sold. They just had a very inviting set. Just played their tunes and seemed like cool dudes. I stopped by their table and they totally were!

Pretty jealous! I like the lighter side of music like them. Combines the technicality and the smoothness of everything into an awesome package.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainCody

@kre8havoc said:

Not bad. Watch your timing, you tend to want to rush.

A lot of that is mostly me having to sync up the audio for the video and it not going as planned because I use shitty ass windows movie maker.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

@CaptainCody said:

Update 1: I may as well post my Astral Body cover in here as well! I'm aware of my fuck ups but I can only get so OCD about it till I decide I'm wasting my time worrying about it.

Everyone feel free to keep posting whatever musical content they have like the very talented csl316 has!

First off, thanks for giving my ears some relief after listening to the dubstep song a high school friend made and kept bothering everyone about!

Second, thanks for introducing me to Between the Buried and Me! I've heard of them before, but I've never listened to them. Are they always that progressive sounding? It seemed like there was a bit of thrash in there, but it reminded me a lot of Dream Theater.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By dichemstys

ASTRAL FUCKING BODY.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainCody

@believer258: No problem on both accounts, dog! And yes, Everything from Colors on is as progressive sounding. They have their breakdowns and everything but pretty much every song of theirs follows a similar structure. Definitely give Silent Flight Parliament off their newest album a listen.