• 77 results
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By DoctorWelch

@SethPhotopoulos: You're missing the point. The point isn't about ignoring problems because there are greater ones at hand. It's about the hypocrisy of discussing one problem and acting like these kinds of things need to be talked about while simultaneously living a life that relies on the morally questionable exploitation of others.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Carousel

the ride never ends

i want to get off the ride

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By crcruz3

Ok, ok... my level of awareness has been raised already. I'm looking for another hobby now.

So long.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By veektarius

If you really don't 'get' why some people don't share your interest in the entirety of the games industry and culture and just want to play and watch people play games, then you need to work harder to understand alternate viewpoints.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By cornbredx
All this talking accomplishes nothing, stop talking and start doing... 

There is nothing wrong with this statement. I would say that this is very true. A lot of people talk about a lot of things these days, there is not a lot of action until it starts hurting someone financially. Although, granted, I don't watch a lot of news or know about what rallies are going on, but I haven't seen anything beyond the twitter thing for this particular issue (which is fine, but I don't think it's enough). 

If all people want to do, though, is raise awareness- well I get that. I think people know this problem exists. If that's the goal- everyone involved has succeeded.  

We both know there's more to it than that though. This problem won't go away because people on the internet know it exists.
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By colourful_hippie

The only downside of these threads is having to constantly see just how stupid some of the users are around here.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By crcruz3

@Colourful_Hippie said:

The only downside of these threads is having to constantly see just how stupid some of the users are around here.

I thought that the purpose of this kind of post was to reveal "how stupid some of the users are".

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By YOU_DIED

@im_not_herbert: Perhaps because the articles in question are full of generalizations, just like the posts by people condemning the ones who are apathetic about it?

The articles on the subject by the press have incredibly little substance, and this is evidenced by the fact that the discussion has shifted from the original 'issues' to about how the gaming community is a bunch of bad people for not caring about what a small group of women said on Twitter. If a journalist wants to provide well researched pieces of journalism on specific instances where a woman was denied her rights because of her gender, then I am more than happy to jump on the bandwagon with my pitchfork. Until then, this is all just white noise, and nothing will happen.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By YOU_DIED

@CaptStickybeard said:

the ride never ends

i want to get off the ride

No Caption Provided

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By crcruz3

@YOU_DIED said:

@im_not_herbert: Perhaps because the articles in question are full of generalizations, just like the posts by people condemning the ones who are apathetic about it?

The articles on the subject by the press have incredibly little substance, and this is evidenced by the fact that the discussion has shifted from the original 'issues' to about how the gaming community is a bunch of bad people for not caring about what a small group of women said on Twitter. If a journalist wants to provide well researched pieces of journalism on specific instances where a woman was denied her rights because of her gender, then I am more than happy to jump on the bandwagon with my pitchfork. Until then, this is all just white noise, and nothing will happen.

Well said, sir.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By EnduranceFun

@Vinny_Says said:

I thought people were complaining because that article was a lazy, vapid and poorly written piece.

Correct. I completely agree with the quoted post before mine.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By phantomzxro

I pretty much agree with everything you said and i do think these issue are worth talking about. I get some people want a break from it or want these issues to be addressed in a more free form way and not be bombarded with it all at once. As with everything i believe it comes down to just having a balance.

In saying that it has to be a give take on both sides because i don't think hearing stories like these 6 months later will have the same impact or response it should just in order to Shields people who do not want to hear about it. So people who are tired of it may have to take it if one or more stories pop up pass your interest level.

On the other side of the coin we have to be mindful that when these stories stop being informative to people and feel like nagging or preaching it may turn people off of the matter which does not help the cause.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By YOU_DIED

@crcruz3 said:

@YOU_DIED said:

Well said, sir.

Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@im_not_herbert said:

We want to play the games we paid for, but for some us, our enjoyment is diminished if we know that members of the team who made the game or of the reporting community were treated with disrespect by fellow employees or members of her community. It adds a taint to the experience. The answer for this is not to bury our heads in the sand or demand that the issue not be addressed, the answer is for more articles to be written, and still more, until the people responsible for the offending attitudes finally get the point that what they are doing is wrong, and it will not be tolerated. The only way that is going to happen is if the reporting is done where the gamers go, and those gamers in turn let developers and other journalists or PR people know that they support women in the industry and will not accept that behavior.

You lost me here. I agree that sexism and racism are bad and have to be addressed and combated, even in something as inconsequential as the gaming industry. However, this paragraph is a bit overly dramatic and instantly turns me off. It implies a level of personal involvement between me and the games I play that is simply not there. Did the people working on L.A. Noire do so under poor conditions? Sure, probably. Does that makes me enjoy the game less? No.

If you feel this way, then that is fine. Clearly your emotional involvement in these matters is greater than mine. But phrasing such claims as if you are speaking for everybody is a big nono. It's insulting, you assume too much about people, and it turns people off, leading them to ignore your message. Which is unfortunate, because I think your message is a good one.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By Tireyo

I just plain don't get myself! I drive my own self nuts!

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By clumsyninja1

There is something called freedom of speech and free will. Also, this is the internet y'all !!!!

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By im_not_herbert

@Veektarius: Please. Save that bullshit for the people insisting that real issues *not* be discussed.

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By im_not_herbert

Lot's of great posts, I appreciate them. For the naysayers, I can't help but wonder why so many people who have no interest in the topic or think it shouldn't be on a site like this take the time to read the articles then to comment on them. Seems odd.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By superfriend

I wasn´t really interested in the whole conversation, so I just skipped reading about this stuff. I too like my politics to go as far away as possible from my videogames.

So, yeah- if you don´t like the conversation, don´t pay attention to it. It´s only "click bait" if you click it. (and it wasn´t really click bait, you should take a look at some Top10/100 list sites for that)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71  Edited By veektarius

@im_not_herbert: Your reply reveals a lack of interest in 'getting people' who disagree with you. I had imagined from the title that you had hoped for a greater understanding.

VoodooTatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By VoodooTatum

@im_not_herbert said:

As a gamer, I am interested in the whole of the gaming industry, not just about the latest map pack for Call of Honor Future Combat 37: Regurgitation Evolved.

Ohhhh I see what you did! Very clever! But seriously I'm tired of people people in video game forums preaching about what I should and should not do. I respect every type of person, other than criminals. In my opinion I'm doing my part. If I researched every movie or video game to make sure that all their employees were treated right in the making of the content I wish to consume I would have time for little else. I mean do you own an Apple product? How about how the people who made the Apple product? Foxconn is a company notorious for the unfair and horrid treatment of its workers yet they make close to 50% of the world's electronics, including a large percentage of Apple products. Yet I'm sure you like most of the people preaching to everyone owns at least one Apple product that was made by someone who is paid to little and forced to work insane hours in order to meet the demands of an Iphone 5 or an Ipad mini. Is owning an Apple product somehow justified in your eyes? Anyway I see where you are coming from and I don't mean to sound hostel. It's something that I have seen a lot of lately and it just kinds of rubs me the wrong way (coming off all preachy). Anyway I do hope you make a difference I just don't think a video game website forum is the avenue to do so.

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By im_not_herbert

@Veektarius said:

@im_not_herbert: Your reply reveals a lack of interest in 'getting people' who disagree with you. I had imagined from the title that you had hoped for a greater understanding.

Not so much, no. I am the one arguing for discussion. Hence the blog post. Others are saying this kind of topic doesn't belong here at all.

narficacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By narficacid

I had the pleasure of working as a sexual assault victim's advocate for 6 years (and I hope to continue to do so in the future). On top of that, I happen to be male. This has given me a unique perspective on gender issues in American society. Despite the fact that some of the comments I read in Patrick's two stories angered me, I'm glad to have seen the conversation happen. Whether or not we can all agree on how these issues should be addressed (spoiler alert: that will never happen) is immaterial. What is more important is that a conversation that can be educational for all comes out of this. And I know I learned a lot from the discussion even if most of that was learning which usernames to skip over in comments from now on. :)

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Veektarius said:

Fuck that, it's more about winning internet arguments

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By Sooty

White Knight Chronicles: The Wrath of Giant Bomb Bloggers

Sexism is bad. More at 11.

Come on, there's enough of this stuff in the article comments.

and no being against sexism doesn't make you a white knight but I'm going to say it anyway for dragging this back up.

Jayree05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jayree05

So I've been a member here for a while but I've never posted anything because I tend to assume the worst. And today I made the mistake of reading though the comments section of Patrick's original articles. And man... What a cesspool. Kind of validated my theory about the community as a whole. ... ... And then I stumbled onto your post. And I just wanted to say thanks for restoring my faith. Sorry... I know this is super late. =)