I should be working on my thesis...

Skaery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Skaery

But I keep looking at it, thinking wtf should I do here, and then do something else.  I'm supposed to hand this in on June 15th, but it's not going very well...

Anyone else in the same boat?

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Djeffers03

Yes

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I have almost 2 years before mine is due, but yeah, it's painful to write and think about.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mrskidders

I was.  Get off the internet and get on with it or you never will.  Don't take phone calls either.  Just shut yourself away and eat pizza and write.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ectoplasma

Thesis like in Bachelor Thesis? Or like a regular end of class paper? Depending on how far you are it's always a good starting point to JUST WRITE. This will help you order your thoughts and bring on paper everything you know already. Most likely you have some vague idea of what you want to argue, but you cant form a good argument (And that's why youre stuck). So it's an invaluable technique to me to just write things before I start. Once you got everything out of your system you can start ordering your thoughts and construct an outline of your argument.  
It's in general good practice to write the outline, then fill in the whole argumentative steps into the outline. Only then start to write the real thing. This way you also can only get the books you really need if youre short on time.

Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PediatricUrology

What kind of thesis?

Skaery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skaery

It's my master thesis, and it's math, so if I can't figure out a proof, it's pretty hard to write anything.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

Eff your thesis, go have some fun.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JCGamer

Yea, I had to write several scientific manuscripts over the past few months, and every time I think of writing them, I want to cry.  My solution was just write something no matter how crappy and revise it later.  You seem to be in a different boat though. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By gosukiller

Got the same problem with my own Master thesis, which is on Criminal Law. Just can't seem to concentrate with so many other FUN things to do within my reach... like the interwebs!

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Virago

@Skaery: I've got a physics final in 3 hours that I haven't studied for. Wooo procrastination.

Avatar image for guitarjunkie1123
guitarjunkie1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By guitarjunkie1123

I had hit a wall in the writing of my thesis. I'm aware that your subject is vastly different from mine, but what ultimately let me start making real progress was to break it down into "bite-sized" pieces. I needed to have a bunch of really small, easily achieved goals. Every time I completed one tiny section I got a boost of confidence which helped me through my next chunk of text. Figure that I'd throw in my two cents. If that doesn't work take my word that it feels freakin' fantastic after you finish...at least until you have to start the job search.

Skaery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skaery
@Virago said:
" @Skaery: I've got a physics final in 3 hours that I haven't studied for. Wooo procrastination. "
Well, at least mine is not Physics.

@guitarjunkie1122 - yeah, I have some small subgoals like "make an example for this" or "just write the theorem and do the proof later", but right now I'm at "I can't get this example to work" and "I already wrote all the theorem, now I just need the proofs" -_-
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fwylo

mmmm... PIzzzaaa

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icil
@Skaery said:
" It's my master thesis, and it's math, so if I can't figure out a proof, it's pretty hard to write anything. "
If it happens to be Game Theory or Graph Theory, I could help... maybe.
Skaery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skaery
@Icil said:
" @Skaery said:
" It's my master thesis, and it's math, so if I can't figure out a proof, it's pretty hard to write anything. "
If it happens to be Game Theory or Graph Theory, I could help... maybe. "
It's coding theory - Gröbner bases over modules, and decoding of quasi-cyclic codes.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icil
@Skaery said:
" @Icil said:
" @Skaery said:
If it happens to be Game Theory or Graph Theory, I could help... maybe. "
It's coding theory - Gröbner bases over modules, and decoding of quasi-cyclic codes. "
Nope, over my head. Good luck, though, you have my support =)
z0m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By z0m

I wish it was English/History, then I might be of some use to you =/

Good luck though!

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ISuperGamerI

So you basically joined the forums just to say that? I don't know good luck either way though lol.

Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PediatricUrology

Put it on the innabuttz! Worst case scenario is that none of us can read it and you're no worse off. Plus there's gotta be someone on here who knows something, and I might learn a thing or two.

Math is fun :D Unless your academic success hinges on it being correct D: Good luck!

Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Phantom

That sounds amazingly hard, I find it fascinating that some people are able to understand some of these in depths maths concepts, best of luck to you anyway.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Cube

Tak 

Tak 

Tak

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By RJay_64

Watch some anime first.  Then play some video games.  Then post about what anime and video games you played.  

Then maybe start the thesis...

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By zero_

Dude, GiantBomb and gaming have screwed me over too many times in the last few weeks as well. It killed my assignment mark for Multivariable Calculus and Electrical Signal Processing. THANKS GERSTMANN!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

Get drunk and make out with your prof. He will probably like it and give you a pass.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrPockets000

It's OK, you still have almost two weeks.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Bones8677
@Skaery: Your thesis should be about "Why upper division math is ultimately useless in the real world." Just Kidding. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll get it worked out.
Skaery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Skaery
@xyzygy said:
" Get drunk and make out with your prof. He will probably like it and give you a pass. "
I just saw your name. I'm writing about syzygy modules too =)
phragit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phragit

I've taken liberal arts majors, but I think my best suggestion is valid; that is to shut yourself away in a room for a few days with all the books you think that you will need, enough adderall to last you that time and an internet-connected computer. Most people would say a computer is bad to have, especially connected to the internet, but it's pretty easy to stay off liesure sites when you're speeding, plus you have the added benefits of google journals searches, wiki searches and, most importantly, immediate access to your's schools library card catalog website.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy
@Skaery said:

" @xyzygy said:

" Get drunk and make out with your prof. He will probably like it and give you a pass. "
I just saw your name. I'm writing about syzygy modules too =) "
Actually, I've derived my name from the astronomical meaning behind the word. A unity of constellations, is what it is. I have no idea what a syzygy in math is :P