• 112 results
#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

How do I fix?

I started thinking about this today, for the longest time I haven't really been able to feel anything, not happy, sad or angry or anything really. I work 5 days a week from 9-5 in a fairly pedestrian office job, I pretty much lost all contact with my former friends as we all moved away and grew apart. I don't really have any dreams or ambitions, every day for the last 2 years have been me waking up, going to work, getting back watching tv/browse the internet then going to bed. I just feel hollow, and I suppose this is a weird place to post this but this place is as good as any I guess.

So is there anyway for me to stave off my zombiefication or is it too late?

#2 Posted by gamefreak9 (2417 posts) -

get a girl!

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Start a drug addiction.

#4 Posted by DonutFever (3537 posts) -

I kinda know how that is.  

@gamefreak9 said:

get a girl!

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Zombrex is the way to go.
#6 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

Become dead on the outside.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

You need to do something that provides a creative/ambition fulfilment.

Get a hobby that gives you something at the end (writing, painting, model building), get a girl, aim to get a better job, take a course, play a sport, something like that.

You can't live life without having something to strive for

#8 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

No way its too late. Life goes up and down like that. Check around for sports you can join or anything else that can remotely interest you. Get new friends through doing that stuff. Common interest is a gathering point.

#9 Posted by Xolare (1285 posts) -

Masturbate.

#10 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

FIGHT CLUB!

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@Milkman

Become dead on the outside.

I just laughed out loud... in the middle of my accounting class. Thanks, dick! *smily face*
#12 Edited by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

I get ya, you should start by getting a new avatar. Pick a colourful one, I like pictures of skies with white clouds and green fields myself, it always make me feel better.

If your desktop background is also all black or dark you should change that to. Change it into someting you like that's a little brighter.

Instead of going on the internet or watching TV, which I'm guessing you spend enough time doing at this point to know it gets pretty dull and becomes just a time waster, start taking walks after work. Do so before it gets too dark out and if you can, maybe go to a café or something? Someplace you could just sit and watch as people go about their day, it could help if you're feeling lonely and disconnected from people.

Then there's the part where you get self-confident enough to have ambitions and dreams again, and I can't really offer any advice on that other than if you try to do things differently and change the way you go about your day, then you'll at least have a chance of falling out of the pattern you're currently in.

#13 Posted by konig_kei (669 posts) -

Play some kirby's epic yarn. That'll brighten you up almost immediately.

#14 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Get over yourself

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

You need to do something that provides a creative/ambition fulfilment. Get a hobby that gives you something at the end (writing, painting, model building), get a girl, aim to get a better job, take a course, play a sport, something like that. You can't live life without having something to strive for

This.

#16 Posted by Nonused (222 posts) -

If you think you might be dead inside, you're not dead inside.

#17 Posted by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

Get real nice Prostitute n just say fuck it

#18 Posted by spankingaddict (2738 posts) -

@konig_kei said:

YES

#19 Posted by Socialone (202 posts) -

Watch Fight Club, then the first Matrix. When you caught all the implicit similarities, read Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, which provides an incredible example of a fulfilling life.

#20 Posted by UlquioKani (1182 posts) -

Go do a hobby and meet some people. Find people with common interests and see if you can meet with them for things other than the hobby. You need some new friends by the sound of it.

#21 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

Work with your hands. Take up carpentry or something. Start a garden. I used to feel the same way, but spending a day outside planting trees or putting up a fence leaves me with a fantastic sense of fulfillment.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Sounds like you need to set and fulfill some goals. And get some hobbies.

#23 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

get a girl!

It really is that simple. That dead inside feeling will be gone in a month.

Currently though I'm the same position as you bud :( I get sparks of emotion and most of the time feel hollow. Through my own choice as I used to be a nervous wreck and the only way to control it was to suppress emotion. Now I'm older it's hard sometimes to get out of that way of thinking.

We all screwed up son XD

#24 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

Go post this on your livejournal; nobody here cares.

#25 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3245 posts) -

Get to fuckin'.

#26 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6310 posts) -
#27 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Abuse alcohol

#28 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -
#29 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@X19 said:

@gamefreak9 said:

get a girl!

Wouldn't really call that simple for a lot of people here. :P

#30 Edited by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

@Nonused said:

If you think you might be dead inside, you're not dead inside.

this is deep. I tend to agree obviously there's an existential angst causing you to consider your life as "dead". That alone is a very life like quality. Source: peer reviewed by tenured professor bot serial number 1029348592

#31 Posted by Fat_Irish7890 (23 posts) -

I have the same problem duder and if you can afford it go to a psychiatrist. It really helps just having someone to talk to

#32 Posted by 71Ranchero (2829 posts) -

Start a Skype relationship with Hizang

#33 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

Start a Skype relationship with Hizang

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@X19 said:

@gamefreak9 said:

get a girl!

The solution may be, but not the process.

#35 Posted by festning (1 posts) -

You're obviously interested in video games, so how about trying out art, 3d, composing music, etc? The scale of what you do doesn't matter, just do something you like.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

Touch her shoulde- wait... umm... Brad's leav-... no, that's not right, either... that's million bucks, and you can't beat 100%?

Oh god, nothing applies! These advice threads are getting too complicated.

#37 Posted by Ragemachine (40 posts) -

The aspects of your life outside of work are obviously leaving you feeling unfulfilled, look into how you spend your time outside of work and try to establish more social relationships and just go out try new things, really.

#38 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

How do you do any of these suggestions?

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Any hobbies? Try to find out what you like and find likeminded people.

#40 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@X19 said:

@gamefreak9 said:

get a girl!

Wouldn't really call that simple for a lot of people here. :P

Alright not get a girl but talk to a girl. If everyone here spent as much time talking to girls as they did playing video games we would be pick up pros me included XD Seriously a chat with a total stranger is great. You can escape if convo turns sour or continue if it's going well.

The only difficult thing I admit is getting in that situation in the first place. I hate the approach.

Edit: I had to edit this a lot I blame writing it at 2:30 am

#41 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

for the longest time I haven't really been able to feel anything, not happy, sad or angry or anything really.

Novacane for the pain, for the pain?

#42 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

Watch Office Space

#43 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@BraveToaster: You did not just post Frank Ocean 

You bastard
#44 Posted by FonkyMucker (156 posts) -

Do you like to read? If so I would recommend the book "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. Its not a very long or hard read, and helped me out when I was feeling disenfranchised with the world. At least google it and see if its something you would like.

And speaking from experience I would get your head together first before you try to find a date. Now is the perfect time to redefine yourself and find out who you really are.

#45 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

@Simplexity: Even though it might feel like it, this feeling won't last forever. Find clubs or groups that involve some of your hobbies, or take on a new project of some kind. Get a pet. Get drinks with people from work. Hang out with family. Apply to a dating site. Travel to another country and just explore. Make a goal and stick to it. Think of things that you've always wanted to do or things that you know would make you happy; then make a list of the steps to do them or get them, and get to work.

#46 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@konig_kei said:
this
#47 Posted by Mirado (1054 posts) -

@Simplexity: The fact that you recognize it means you may not be as far gone as you think.

#48 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@BraveToaster: You did not just post Frank Ocean You bastard

Frank Ocean is awesome.

#49 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1821 posts) -

Light yourself on fire. If you try to put it out your not as dead on the inside as you think.

#50 Posted by Tarsier (1078 posts) -

do something new

find a purpose