#1 Edited by Bevinsky (178 posts) -

The difference in Patrick's and Alex' news headings really stuck out here, in my opinion. He tried to mislead me with the title, but the description gave it away immediately.

#2 Edited by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Alex adds humor and sarcasm to his articles, it's nothing new.

#3 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Yeah, Alex is boss. What's this thread about?

#4 Posted by Lukeweizer (2679 posts) -

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

#5 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

It's a little game for me with each article: "Alex or Patrick". I get it right 90% of the times, which is not great because they couldn't be more different.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Yep it's not hard to spot when an article is written by Alex and I really like that he distinguishes himself in that way. When it comes to headlines, the man is a run-on sentence artisan.

#8 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

You have to ask yourself when you find an article: would a 5 year old write this?

If the answer is yes, then it is likely an Alex article. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off as much if he wasn't so awkward and uninteresting on the podcasts and live shows. I guess he just doesn't click with me. Ha! Ha!

#9 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

You have to ask yourself when you find an article: would a 5 year old write this?

If the answer is yes, then it is likely an Alex article. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off as much if he wasn't so awkward and uninteresting on the podcasts and live shows. I guess he just doesn't click with me. Ha! Ha!

Is that you, Tricky? Man, this article war is heating up!

#10 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

Just be glad we have Alex and Patrick articles. Two distinct styles, but both awesome.

#11 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

The headline is the first thing people from google see. At this point the description and picture is the first thing I see but content like that isn't totally aimed at me or us. Having a uniform appearance on the site, at least for the articles, helps them look good and professional like they should be.

#12 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

In case of confusion, just use the snark-o-meter. If it explodes, it's because it's an Alex article.

#13 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

I have said multiple times that Alex should start a blog, tumbr or something where he writes his own version fo regular news headlines.

That would be made my homepage and I would never look at another site again.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Alex is funny. Pat is dry and textbook.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Winternet said:

In case of confusion, just use the snark-o-meter. If it explodes, it's because it's an Alex article.

If that doesn't work (because you'd tested positive for previously), just use the Emotion Detector. If the needle budges even a little bit, it's an Alex article. If it starts playing this, then you're in Klepek territory.

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5483 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

You have to ask yourself when you find an article: would a 5 year old write this?

If the answer is yes, then it is likely an Alex article. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off as much if he wasn't so awkward and uninteresting on the podcasts and live shows. I guess he just doesn't click with me. Ha! Ha!

Hey that is completely unfair! Don't attack Alex like that. Didn't you see his Crysis 3 article? I would say the person who wrote that had to be at least a 15 year old girl.

#17 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Alex is funny. Pat is dry and textbook.

Patrick*.

#18 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

Will show after WII U was not a clue? That's the cool thing about Giant Bomb staff having their own voice. Their personalities come out of their articles. Alex knows how to write a headline without being cliche or gimmicky. When Patrick writes a new story, he uses information to get the readers attention. Sometimes Patrick's headlines are awkwardly written or esoteric. Other websites in general, there is no way to tell who the author is. Even if one is listed, the tone of the article sounds like a rehashed press release. Having different perspectives make Giant Bomb a better website.

#19 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

"That's... a thing... that exists."

#20 Posted by GioVANNI (1287 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@crusader8463 said:

Alex is funny. Pat is dry and textbook.

Patrick*.

Tricky*.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@GioVANNI said:

@Napalm said:

@crusader8463 said:

Alex is funny. Pat is dry and textbook.

Patrick*.

Tricky*.

Patrick "Tricky Kleptok" Klepek*.

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

As a robot, Patrick knows only cold, hard facts untainted by such frivolities as the word "higgledy-piggledy."

#23 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Yeah, Alex is boss. What's this thread about?

#24 Posted by Lukeweizer (2679 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@Lukeweizer said:

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

"That's... a thing... that exists."

"Yeah... So THAT happened."

#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I don't even look at poster's names usually.

#26 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

@PillClinton said:

@Lukeweizer said:

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

"That's... a thing... that exists."

"Yeah... So THAT happened."

Jeff and Ryan do that too ya know

also alex is boss

#27 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

It's almost like they're two different people.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21622 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Lukeweizer said:

@PillClinton said:

@Lukeweizer said:

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

"That's... a thing... that exists."

"Yeah... So THAT happened."

Jeff and Ryan do that too ya know

also alex is boss

And a much better writer than Patrick, even if Patrick does cover a lot more subjects and Alex is basically the 'other news guy'.

#29 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

Alex does a great job of making otherwise boring news quite humorous. I'm not sure I'd want that on every article....so it all works out great that it doesn't happen on every article and that other members of the staff have their own styles of writing.

#30 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

I feel like 90% of the time Patrick's article headlines take on the form "As so and so ___, so and so ____. As in "As Apple Soars, Nintendo Sees First Annual Loss." It's really boring.

#31 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

At least there's content that's not just rehashed press releases or Kotaku articles like Brad Nicholson used to exclusively post.
 
@jozzy said:

It's a little game for me with each article: "Alex or Patrick". I get it right 90% of the times, which is not great because they couldn't be more different.

I like to think we all play this game. And when Jeff or Dave posts something, it always throws me off. Friggin wildcards!
#32 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Alex adds some spice into his writing. Patrick plays it straight. So what?

#33 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

I don't really like Alex's style of writing; i hate even mentioning it, he seems to get a lot of bad press in the forums.

I don't know him so i can't say much about him as a person but the articles just come off as if a 15 year old wrote them, theres a fine line you can walk before a blasé, jovial disinterest or lack of surprise when an obvious sequel gets leaked or nintendo announces a mario game, becomes an assholes opinion on stuff he should be reporting, not commenting on

for the record, i think patrick's style is good, there a light hearted acknowledgment of a lot of these behaviours in the industry and straight reportage

its just a matter of preference i guess, just different methods of writing

#34 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

You have to ask yourself when you find an article: would a 5 year old write this?

If the answer is yes, then it is likely an Alex article. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off as much if he wasn't so awkward and uninteresting on the podcasts and live shows. I guess he just doesn't click with me. Ha! Ha!

Alex is actually a fantastic writer. Probably a better technical writer than Patrick, too. It all comes down to preference of writing style, though. They're both great

#35 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
@GioVANNI

@Napalm said:

@crusader8463 said:

Alex is funny. Pat is dry and textbook.

Patrick*.

Tricky*.

Klepto.
#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

At first when Alex started writing articles I was taken aback but I got used to it.

#37 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

@RockAction said:

I don't really like Alex's style of writing; i hate even mentioning it, he seems to get a lot of bad press in the forums.

I don't know him so i can't say much about him as a person but the articles just come off as if a 15 year old wrote them, theres a fine line you can walk before a blasé, jovial disinterest or lack of surprise when an obvious sequel gets leaked or nintendo announces a mario game, becomes an assholes opinion on stuff he should be reporting, not commenting on

for the record, i think patrick's style is good, there a light hearted acknowledgment of a lot of these behaviours in the industry and straight reportage

its just a matter of preference i guess, just different methods of writing

He gets literally no bad press in the forums for his writing. Its maybe like 2 people. There are more people who decide to attack his personality despite being one of the more interesting people on this site.

#38 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3866 posts) -
@pjacobson21
Just be glad we have Alex and Patrick articles. Two distinct styles, but both awesome.
#39 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

I really like alex's cynical humor and snarkyness. He is also a fantastic writer, see the journey review for an example. Patrick is great too. It seems wierd to throw a hissy fit about having some stylistic diversity on this site.

#40 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@RockAction said:

I don't really like Alex's style of writing; i hate even mentioning it, he seems to get a lot of bad press in the forums.

I don't know him so i can't say much about him as a person but the articles just come off as if a 15 year old wrote them, theres a fine line you can walk before a blasé, jovial disinterest or lack of surprise when an obvious sequel gets leaked or nintendo announces a mario game, becomes an assholes opinion on stuff he should be reporting, not commenting on

for the record, i think patrick's style is good, there a light hearted acknowledgment of a lot of these behaviours in the industry and straight reportage

its just a matter of preference i guess, just different methods of writing

He gets literally no bad press in the forums for his writing. Its maybe like 2 people. There are more people who decide to attack his personality despite being one of the more interesting people on this site.

I know, sorry, i was referring to the attacks on him as a person / his personality

#41 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

"So apparently, Article Wars is really a thing."  - Alex article about Alex VS Patrick
 
"Tension between Navarro and Klepek factions grows. More at eleven." - Patrick article about Alex VS Patrick

#42 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Because of course he does.

#43 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Alex is the best writer on the site.

#44 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Team Alex.

#45 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

@Grissefar said:

You have to ask yourself when you find an article: would a 5 year old write this?

If the answer is yes, then it is likely an Alex article. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off as much if he wasn't so awkward and uninteresting on the podcasts and live shows. I guess he just doesn't click with me. Ha! Ha!

Alex is actually a fantastic writer. Probably a better technical writer than Patrick, too. It all comes down to preference of writing style, though. They're both great

Yeah, say what you want about the actual content, but if we're strictly talking about style of prose, Alex's sentence structure is actually a lot more fluid and varied than patrick's and takes a lot more creativity to pull off in my opinion.

#46 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

If it says "So," or "So..." or "Yeah," or "Yeah...", it's Alex.

Every other thread starts with "So," though

#47 Posted by eccentrix (1551 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I don't even look at poster's names usually.

That's the point, you don't have to.