• 89 results
#1 Edited by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

SORRY MODS I KNOW I FUCKED UP MY PREVIOUS POST TITLE.

Okay guys, The MTV VMA's are coming up. No wait... don't leave yet I know some of you already are rolling your eyes. Yes... yes... there is tons that is wrong with the VMA's But here is the thing. Frank Ocean is up for Best New Artist this year for "Swim Good" and this is fan voted. He is up against that awful "One Direction" boyband Carly "Call me mabey" Jepsen and a few other acts I've never heard of. Frank really deserves this more than anyone else on this list. So for the love of god please help fight back against the tide of fucking 12yr old girls voting for One Direction and help frank win. You do have to have a facebook account and "like" the page to be able to vote. I don't expect anyone to create a Facebook just for this but If you don't mind. VOTE VOTE VOTE. And tell other people to vote. Frank is by far the best thing to hit Hip Hop in years.

If you need better context of who Frank is see my other thread I made: HERE

VOTE HERE: http://www.facebook.com/MTV/app_201742856511228?ref=ts

Edit: Jesus christ this whole thing has been a debacle. Now I double posted by accident. *bangs head against desk* SORRY.

#2 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

Nothing is more powerful than ten year old girls, I'm afraid.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

He is up against that awful "One Direction" boyband Carly "Call me mabey" Jepsen and a few other acts I've never heard of.

I'm sorry. *puts hand on shoulder*

There's nothing we can do.

#4 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

Sorry, but "deserves" in relation to "VMA" is funny to me. I guess because I don't know what that means anymore. I'm sure even if Frank Ocean doesn't win, he'll have a longer career than any of the other artists combined.

All I know about that "Call Me Maybe" video is that pretty boy has the worst tattoos. Like, I think 90% of tattoos are terrible already and not as interesting as the people claim them to be, but how hard did the people at the parlor laugh at him before he got "The Sky Is the Limit" across his chest? Fuck outta here.

#5 Posted by felakuti4life (147 posts) -

I absolutely co-sign this, that new Channel Orange is pure gold

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I just want to pop in and say how great it is that One Direction's logo is "1D"

That is all.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12444 posts) -

*maybe

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Demoskinos said:

He is up against that awful "One Direction" boyband Carly "Call me mabey" Jepsen and a few other acts I've never heard of.

I'm sorry. *puts hand on shoulder*

There's nothing we can do.

We've lost this fight already.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5371 posts) -

I like Frank Ocean but I don't give a shit if he wins some award or not. Sorry.

#10 Edited by HisDudeness (254 posts) -

Channel Orange is a fucking game changer, but this is the VMA's we're talking about!

#11 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I voted. I hate boy bands...

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (9482 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Woah. Your guy is up against One Direction and Carly Jepsen?

We might as well vote for Ron Paul.

#13 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

I'm voting for Call Me Maybe.

#14 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

You realize there's no chance Call Me Maybe loses, right?

#15 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

No Kendrick Lamar is the best thing in hip hop.  Blasphemy, he should be the best new artist!!!

#16 Posted by mitsuko_souma2 (15 posts) -

OP how old are you?

It blows my mind that not only do you watch the VMAs, you actually care this much about who wins the awards.

#17 Posted by EuanDewar (5104 posts) -

Call Me Maybe is a fuckin sick song and there's nothing you can do to stop it

DOE

#18 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Dude he's gonna be up for Grammys. And will most likely win a couple. Let this one go.

CALL ME MAYBE MUST WIN

#19 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Two things. I don't care about Frank Ocean, and I don't care about the VMA's. So.. no.

#20 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

So this made me want to watch the Call Me Maybe video and I have to say that twist ending is pretty fucking good.

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Call me Maybe is the best song ever made so fuck you voting for that!

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I hate everything and wish nothing but failure for all parties involved in the debacle that is the VMAs.

#23 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Call me Maybe is the best song ever made so fuck you voting for that!

Don't even joke!

#24 Posted by LikeaSsur (1593 posts) -

I'm sorry, I can't, in good conscience, vote for this, or any other nominee.

Music is dead as far as I'm concerned.

#25 Posted by sissylion (675 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: Frank Ocean is pretty good, though. Not amazing, but he and The Weeknd are both doing really respectable things for R&B. You should at least consider listening to him.

Also, dog, it's a music awards show. No music awards count because you can't compartmentalize sound in a way that makes it objectively better than something else.

#26 Posted by big_jon (5789 posts) -

@mitsuko_souma2 said:

OP how old are you?

It blows my mind that not only do you watch the VMAs, you actually care this much about who wins the awards.

This.

#27 Posted by LikeaSsur (1593 posts) -

@sissylion: I listened to the song that was provided, it sounded very similar to pretty much everything else I hear on the radio. I'm not sure if that's just how R&B is, but I don't care for it.

#28 Posted by Portis (1283 posts) -

You must really like this Frank Ocean fellow to create a thread here and try to rally a bunch of troops to vote for him to win a...VMA award.

I seriously doubt winning a "VMA" is going to change this guys life in one way or another.

#29 Posted by sissylion (675 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: I have no idea how you think it's similar as it's extremely fresh and well-written compared to the dance-pop bastardization of broadcast R&B, but good on you for at least listening.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

Dude he's gonna be up for Grammys. And will most likely win a couple. Let this one go. CALL ME MAYBE MUST WIN

But... but... alright. =(

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

You are literally the first person I've ever seen taking an interest in the MTV VMAs.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

You are literally the first person I've ever seen taking an interest in the MTV VMAs.

Its a stupid popcorn spectacle. At least its an awards show that is entertaining. I'll fully admit that its super dumb but "serious" awards shows are boring as shit to watch.

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

Is channel ORANGE really that good? I'm interested because Frank Ocean seems like a brave dude coming out considering the attitude of his industry but I'm not sure what to expect. Anything to compare it to?

#34 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

That song might be getting him a best artist of the year? Wow VMA's have fallen so far since the 90's.

#35 Posted by Dourin (234 posts) -

Not that the competition is any better, but I would not vote for that song for anything ever.

#36 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

One Direction are so dreamy though I want to vote for them.

#37 Posted by JacDG (2131 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
No Kendrick Lamar is the best thing in hip hop.  Blasphemy, he should be the best new artist!!!
Agreed, Frank isn't even really hip/hop, he is RnB, he is amazing though don't get me wrong I will vote for him, but Kendrick is a legend in the making.
#38 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Nope, science has proven all that crap sounds the same so I'm just gonna go sit in my wicker chair on the porch and wave my cane at kids now!

#39 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

Hey I just met you.

And this is crazy.

But here's Frank Ocean.

So vote for him maybe?

--

If you would have opened up with this I would have done it. Sorry champ.

#40 Posted by Clouise (142 posts) -

I kinda like that Call Me Maybe song.

#41 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (254 posts) -

Screw the VMAs. I just get disappointed every year with the winners. Same thing with the Movie Awards. I was at least a little bit surprised with Twilight not winning EVERY category, but yeah...

Plus, Frank Ocean came out as bi and a lot of idiots turned on him just because of it. I hate to say it, but just based on that fact plus the fact that he is going up against those other crappy artists, he probably won't have much of a chance. I heard he is nominated for some grammys though. I bet he'll win some of those

#42 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I didn't vote for the President of my country, and I sure as fuck won't vote for this either. I apologize.

#43 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

God I’m old. This crap sounds horrible to me.

#44 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Okay, so, two things:

1) Frank Ocean isn't really a hip-hop artist, he's an R&B guy a la Usher, R. Kelly, Ne-Yo, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, etc. Drake is more of a hip-hop guy than Ocean; he raps occasionally.

2) ...not voting for fun. is tough for me. Some Nights is easily one of my favorite albums this year, uneven though it may be. I wasn't wowed by Channel Orange on my first listen, and I haven't really wanted to listen again yet. But I'm going to vote for him anyways because he needs the exposure more.

For those asking "why should anyone care about the VMAs?" It's because any "Best New Artist" winner gets their chance to blow up major, and Frank Ocean already has the connections and material to make that happen. A boost like this would be huge for his career, while Carly Rae Jepsen and One Direction will be forgotten in a year or two.

#45 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Wait, wait, so to help you out I gotta make a Facebook page (LOL) and cast a vote so someone with a teardrop's chance in hell can win an MTV award?

Shit, I came in here thinking you'd need us to PayPal you ten bucks for an afternoon pizza. The latter was way more likely to happen.

#47 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I'm sure Frank Ocean cares very little about the VMAs.
If not, well then he's screwed. 

#48 Edited by Rabid619 (1109 posts) -

Oh god, he's against Call Me Maybe? This is a war that we cannot win. Take solace in the fact that even being nominated will give a HUGE boost to his popularity.

I love my country, but the shit coming out of it recently is painful. First the Biebs, now Carly? Why, Canada, why?

@mitsuko_souma2: It's probably less caring about the VMA's and more so caring about the artist. I don't give two shits about the VMA's, but if one of my favourite musicians were to be nominated, I would throw all my weight behind them, too. Winning an award like that may seem like a childish thing, but in reality something like that would increase his audience a staggering amount, which would be worth fighting for. Even if the VMA's are super dumb.

#49 Posted by jtman54179 (179 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

So this made me want to watch the Call Me Maybe video and I have to say that twist ending is pretty fucking good.

As someone who has not seen the full video.... you made want to watch it completely to see this "twist" ending...

#50 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

This is really dumb. All of it.