#1 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

So I've lived in a town home(it's a 2 story duplex kind of cept someone is in the middle) for about 7 years now. While smoking a cig outside in the backyard tonight I saw a big ass rat scurrying across atop of my fence. I don't see any during the daytime and I've only seen one around about three times starting two weeks ago but never before.

I got poison in the garage and everything looks clear as well as the inside of the house but should I be concerned yet? I don't have any pets but should I go ahead and put rat poison in the backyard or contact a pest control to have em use traps.

Any advice duders? It's so disgusting to see a rat scurry atop my backyard fence at night. Sucks as I've been here for years and never had this issue before.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

The first thing I thought was "why don'tcha shoot it?"

Then I remembered that not everyone lives in rural America. Would make good target practice if he made a habit of running across your fence, though... see, I do have an inner redneck.

#3 Edited by wjb (1675 posts) -

Someone is working undercover and will betray you soon.

#4 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

He/she probably saw you smoking and assumed you were way into disease.

#5 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

The first thing I thought was "why don'tcha shoot it?"

Then I remembered that not everyone lives in rural America. Would make good target practice if he made a habit of running across your fence, though... see, I do have an inner redneck.

I have people that live around me. Apartment complex behind me and other town homes surrounding.

#6 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

SAD

#7 Posted by Hamst3r (4520 posts) -

It's already too late. You should move.

#8 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4234 posts) -

Its either he knifes you or knife him first..

#9 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

@kittyvondoom said:

SAD

#10 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Better call The Shredder so he can go nuts on it.

#11 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2491 posts) -

Well your cigarettes have rat poison in them.

#12 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1146 posts) -

Ask Master Splinter how he's doing before you decide to enter a manhole.

#13 Edited by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

This only interests me if it's attached to a penis and it starts singing a duet. 1

#14 Edited by TheRealMoot (399 posts) -

Peanut Butter + Rat trap = Done.

Otherwise? As long as it's not breaking into your house and wrecking the place or tossing your garbage cans, leave the little furry rodent be.

#15 Edited by Toastburner_B (159 posts) -

Chances are if you see one rat there are others around, as they are communal creatures. They have a gestation period of about 3 weeks and are sexual mature at six weeks, so this definitely something you want to get the jump on if you can.

From my understanding rats tend to use the same paths, so if you can bait/trap the fence you might be able to nail the one you are seeing.

If you haven't already, check the outside of your house for any holes/cracks a rat could use to get into the building. They might just being the fence to travel, so they may not be nesting at your place if you haven't seen any signs of infestation.

#16 Edited by gelatinabomination (184 posts) -

I don't have any advice, but this is the first thing I thought of.

#17 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2218 posts) -

Burn the entire house down.

#18 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

Wouldn't Baxter Stockman be the preferred person to recommend? What were those little bi-pedal robots called that he had?

#19 Edited by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

Shoot it. Or just leave it alone. You know, whatever is easier.

#20 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

Wouldn't Baxter Stockman be the preferred person to recommend? What were those little bi-pedal robots called that he had?

Sure, if you had the money and supplies for him to build mousers, Shredder would just go nuts and kill it, no charge. I am talking start up Baxter from the Original cartoon with no funding, not already accomplished version in the Nick show. Either one is fine though, or he could roll the dice and call The Ratking

#21 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

I guess I could always call N.I.M.H in the morning to gas the bush in the backyard.

#22 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

Its not as bad as waking up with a rat on your chest, scared the living shit out of me when that happen.

#23 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

Its not as bad as waking up with a rat on your chest, scared the living shit out of me when that happen.

It would have gone better if you had just told me where The Brotherhood is.

#24 Posted by ThunderSlash (1827 posts) -

Call Vinny's wife.

#25 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

I've decided that a bush in my back yard might be corrupted by chaos. So in the marrow I will execute exterminatus.... I shall return with my findings.

#26 Edited by cloudnineboya (831 posts) -
#27 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

I've said the same thing about women who suck men's members.

#28 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5801 posts) -
#29 Posted by outerabiz (663 posts) -

put a snare on the fence

#30 Edited by Christoffer (1865 posts) -

Get an ever bigger cat. Like a Lynx.

#31 Posted by TobbRobb (4742 posts) -

I'm just saying. We got a cat 12 years ago, and I haven't seen a living rodent since.

#32 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1064 posts) -

Hit it with a stick and gain the xp, have you never played an RPG before?