#151 Posted by BigJeffrey (5071 posts) -

Hentai

#152 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Attack on Titan is a fucking fantastic suggestion.

#153 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

Steins;Gate is what i would usually recommend off the bat, followed by Monster.

#154 Posted by ILikePopCans (760 posts) -

Hentai

I also concur with this

PM ME FOR THE DETS

#155 Edited by dudeglove (8008 posts) -

Yo, dat Pokemon.

#156 Edited by RupertTheBear (189 posts) -

If your into love triangle stories then I would recommend School Days (anime version). It starts out sweet as a high school crush with drama only to have a fucked up ending for the series. Moral of the Story : DONT FUCKING CHEAT!!!!

Aside from that have seen much anime other then Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wings.

#157 Posted by phampire (286 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop, both sub and dub are excellent. Attack on Titan is solid but is still ongoing so it lacks closure atm, and I would recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood over the original series. There is heaps of anime out there and you are bound to find something you really dig.

#158 Posted by Sinusoidal (1639 posts) -

Ahh, to be able to transport myself back to first discovering anime. I envy the OP.

I've seen so much of the stuff now, I've started to hate a lot of it. Back then, it didn't matter what the fuck it was, it was awesome!

My first anime was Miyazaki's "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". I saw the horrible, HORRIBLE Americanized "Warriors of the Wind" version as a kid in the eighties and was entranced by it even through the layer of shit the translators smeared all over it. As a teen in the early-mid nineties, I managed to get a hold of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, the first two Patlabor movies, Wings of Honneamise... These are the anime I remember the fondest.

You think being an anime nerd gets you disdain nowadays, try it in high school in 1995.

The first time I finally saw the real, subbed version of Nausicaa (early 2000s right around when downloading videos became a thing) I fucking bawled my eyes out it was such an intense throwback to when I was a kid and the fact that it was a totally fucking awesome movie made it kind of feel like all my awkward geekiness had been justified. Now everyone fucking loves Miyazaki.

#159 Posted by TechHits (1384 posts) -

As a guy who hasn't watched that much anime, I would recommend Cowboy Bebop, which is my favorite show of all time. I would also recommend Samurai Champloo and Fullmetal Alchemist.

I'm goin to go ahead and second Samurai Champloo and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Also coming from someone who likes anime, but has watched only a limited amount.

Also code geass is really cool if you like mecha.

#160 Posted by Fattony12000 (7515 posts) -

Try Aladdin on VHS.

#161 Edited by Brackynews (4090 posts) -

@dacnomaniac:

http://www.animevice.com/the-vision-of-escaflowne/10-89/

Give it the first 3 episodes. Then you'll know. It's also short for an anime TV series. One of the first to really invest in hybrid animation & CG effects. Incredible music. Fucking incredible.

I don't mind admitting that I name most of my game avatars after those characters. (My Dark/Demons Souls toons are Jajuka, Dornkirk, Dilandau, etc.) Basically everyone is a bad-ass.

Mecha and goddamn dragons. O_o

#162 Edited by EXTomar (4836 posts) -

Someone recommended School Days? Kind of a terrible show but it has a nice boat.

#163 Posted by Palmlykta (228 posts) -

If you're gonna watch Fullmetal Alchemist, make sure it's Brotherhood. This is what I'm told.

#164 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2891 posts) -

@gokaired said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend...is a classic. Watching this will show you what Anime is all about.

Yeah, pretty much a trap if you do watch Urotsukidoji. But, I honestly can recommend Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Royal Space Force: The Wings of HonnĂȘamise, Windaria, and Project A-Ko. Those were what I first watched as 'real anime' from bootleg VHS copies of Laser Discs. Another favorite was Aim for the Top! Gunbuster. As far as I know all five of those titles are easy to find.

#165 Posted by GaspoweR (3162 posts) -

@demoskinos: that's the "wrong" kind of anime to start with :P

#166 Posted by Quarters (1748 posts) -

I'm not really a huge anime fan, but Gungrave is and will probably always be my favorite anime. It's probably one of my favorite series, period. It's a great crime story, which slowly morphs into an action-horror story with some excellent character work. It's also not as full blown Japanese as some Anime are. May be a better jumping in point. But yeah, I think it's criminally underlooked.

#167 Edited by ExiledVip3r (91 posts) -

I'd really recommend Sword of the Stranger for somebody without much anime experience. I wouldn't call it the best anime movie out there, but I would say it's one of my favorites. More importantly for somebody new to anime; it's extremely accessible, while still also very "anime" at it's core.

A lot of the popular series and anime's people are recommending are great, but most of them I don't think a new comer should go anywhere near until they are more familiar with anime as a whole. After experiencing your more paletable stuff like your Miyazaki movies or Cowboy Bebop would I sit somebody in front of Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, Code Geass, and such.

Monster & Natsume Yuujinchou would honestly be my favorite animes, both for very different reasons as they are very different anime but neither would I would I put a new comer anywhere near them.

#168 Posted by rasko_the_brave (86 posts) -

SGT FROG! Or cowboy bebop.

#169 Posted by The_Ruiner (1077 posts) -

Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy bebop, Trigun.

#170 Edited by Forcen (1832 posts) -

I recommend the bottom left one.

#171 Edited by chocolaterhinovampire (1292 posts) -

Spirited Away is great. Akira maybe? I am not big on anime but I have like 3 anime movies

#172 Posted by Superkenon (1452 posts) -

Anyone recommend Fate/Zero in here? It's kind of an action/thriller set in the modern day with some of the best implementation of magic and mythological lore I've seen.

It's a prequel to another series, Fate/Stay Night, but Fate/Zero stands alone really well and I think is a lot more approachable by someone who isn't already into anime. Also, it's easier to get at, since it can be legally streamed for free on Crunchyroll (if you have a Roku or something, their channel is a pretty good way to watch it).

(I don't actually care, but it's kind of weird how some people defend subs like they're always better done when you don't understand the language and can't really tell.)

These days, it's less about them being better or worse as it is about them being "the original". Think about a video game character's voice actor changing. Like, let's say they got someone besides Nolan North to do Nathan Drake. The new guy may be perfectly good at it, but that's... not his voice, and could completely change the feel of the character. If you get used to one voice, it can be hard to accept something different.

Personally, I go back and forth between subs and dubs. I tend to prefer the original japanese audio, because I feel like the voices across the board fit their characters better -- which I think is a result of those picks being done by people closer to the creation of the product. But, I also am a big fan of a lot of the talent in our dubbing industry, and I like to follow what they do. So... uhh, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Yeah. It's all good.

#173 Edited by golguin (3964 posts) -

Anyone recommend Fate/Zero in here? It's kind of an action/thriller set in the modern day with some of the best implementation of magic and mythological lore I've seen.

It's a prequel to another series, Fate/Stay Night, but Fate/Zero stands alone really well and I think is a lot more approachable by someone who isn't already into anime. Also, it's easier to get at, since it can be legally streamed for free on Crunchyroll (if you have a Roku or something, their channel is a pretty good way to watch it).

@believer258 said:

(I don't actually care, but it's kind of weird how some people defend subs like they're always better done when you don't understand the language and can't really tell.)

These days, it's less about them being better or worse as it is about them being "the original". Think about a video game character's voice actor changing. Like, let's say they got someone besides Nolan North to do Nathan Drake. The new guy may be perfectly good at it, but that's... not his voice, and could completely change the feel of the character. If you get used to one voice, it can be hard to accept something different.

Personally, I go back and forth between subs and dubs. I tend to prefer the original japanese audio, because I feel like the voices across the board fit their characters better -- which I think is a result of those picks being done by people closer to the creation of the product. But, I also am a big fan of a lot of the talent in our dubbing industry, and I like to follow what they do. So... uhh, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Yeah. It's all good.

Fate/Zero is very good, but I don't know about it being a good way to get into anime. The first episode alone with all its exposition would turn people away before it starts getting into its groove.

#174 Posted by EXTomar (4836 posts) -

Really that is the big problem with this thread. A lot of people recommending stuff they like instead of something that won't freak out someone who has never or rarely watched Anime.

#175 Posted by Superkenon (1452 posts) -

@golguin: You don't have to be into anime to appreciate an episode of plot establishment. I've actually found the Fate series in general to be palatable to folks outside that circle, because it spends its time building up intrigue and characters before throwing all the anime action in your face.

#176 Edited by jerseyscum (888 posts) -

@marz said:

Steins;Gate is what i would usually recommend off the bat, followed by Monster.

Steins;Gate is a SLOW burn, but a damn clever take on time travel. It's basically what would happen if a bunch of 4channers invented a time machine in their apartment and got way in over their heads.

Monster is long. Like really long. Good, but drags on.

(What to Watch)

1. Anything by Satoshi Kon: Perfect Blue is a damn frightening take on fame and celebrity, Paprika is sheer hallucinatory bliss and Paranoia Agent is just bugfuck insane. One of the true geniuses who's life was tragically cut short by cancer. Perfect Blue is really disturbing at parts, just warning you.

2. Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt: Imagine the Powerpuff Girls with a shitload more swearing and dick jokes. Add a gorgeous hyper-knetic art style and a fantastic dub. Watch if before Adult Swim airs a lame, neutered version at 2:00 AM. Did I mention the show is hilarious?

3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: One of the most brilliant takes on the ramifications of transhumanism on society at large. Thought provoking without falling into the trap of pretentiousness or boring the viewer to death. The Major is also possibly one of the greatest female protagonists I've seen in a long time.

4. Cowboy Bebop: Just go watch it. I'll wait.

5: Black Lagoon: Do you like explosions and wanton destruction? If the answer is "yes", this is for you.

(What to avoid like the Plague)

1. Death Note: A fantastic premise killed by a lazy and incompetent plot.

2. Eden of the East: This show should have been good. Fantastic characters, premise and one of the few believable love stories out there. However, when the main character came down with amnesia for the THIRD GODDAMN TIME, I had to punch out. Wasted potential.

3.School Days: Full disclosure: I haven't seen this show, but reading the wikipedia plot summary was mind-damaging enough.

4:RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne: I have no problem with sexual content. I have no problem with violence. Repeated scenes of fucking brutal sexual torture for the sake of it is gratuitous and disgusting.

#177 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -
#178 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Well I'm sure I'm late to this and you've already watched something, But if not the answer is simple

Two words - Ninja Scroll

First anime I ever saw, And still one of my favourites.

...well actually now that I think about it the very first was the Original DragonBall

And I have watched that full series with my son now. So.... yeah.

If your looking for a movie go Ninja Scroll if you want a series DragonBall or you could get far more obscure but these are both very good starting points.

http://www.marketglory.com/strategygame/Coombs

#179 Posted by Whitestripes09 (416 posts) -

If you want to transition slowly, I recommend the anime that's more popular in the west. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are two very good shows that can be watched with English dubs and won't want to make you tear off your ears. Any Miyazaki film would be good as well. If you think Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are too westernly influenced then you should probably check out Death Note or Full Metal Alchemist.

Interested in mecha anime? Start with Evangelion before going into Gundam or any other mecha series. While Gundam is pretty popular, the stories in the different series are kinda mediocre and to be honest, you have to be a really big fan of Gundams to enjoy it. Evangelion has some of the best animation and characters out of any mecha anime hands down. Also, if you enjoyed Pacific Rim, I highly recommend watching Evangelion.

There are so many different genres of anime out there, you can really just pick something you normally watch and there will probably be an anime out there.

#180 Edited by mjk0104 (208 posts) -

As someone who's watched very little anime, Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo are great, like everyone else says.

I actually have no idea if it's good, but I enjoyed Afro Samurai, it's short, it's violent, and it has Samuel L Jackson playing two of the main characters.

#181 Posted by RavenousJoker (50 posts) -

My first anime is Dragonball.

#182 Edited by RonGalaxy (3218 posts) -

You, seriously, cannot go wrong with Cowboy Bebop. There was only 26 episodes (plus a movie), so it isn't a huge undertaking, and the bar for quality is extremely high. I'm also nostalgic for Bleach and Naruto, but I do realize how much of those shows are bullshit filler. At least check out the first 100 episodes of Naruto and Bleach up until the arrancar stuff (that plotline goes on for WAAAYY too long). The first Bleach movie is also, surprisingly amazing (and very very sad :( ) and doesnt require too much knowledge of the series, besides basic setup and some characters.

I haven't really stayed with traditional anime shows since middle school, so I'm not really privy to what's popular nowadays. Studio Ghibli is another high quality mark for anime, but that's just anime films, not television. Still recommend it.

I never got super into Full Metal Alchemist, but when I used to religiously watch adult swim I would enjoy watching it when it came on. I liked the style and setting a lot.

#183 Posted by RonGalaxy (3218 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

Hentai

I also concur with this

PM ME FOR THE DETS

NONONONONONO, nobody wants that crap. Just go to Titan Ime DOTCOM for all your quality anime needs (actually, dont go there.. I warned you, NSFW)

Ah, anyway, I remember I pulled the popular Titan Ime joke on a lot of anime nerds in my school (hint, its actually Tit Anime DOTCOM)

#184 Posted by OurSin_360 (936 posts) -

death note and FMA had good translations to english, so if you have to watch things in english and no subtitles those are the ones to go with. Cowboy beepop and Samurai champlo are good as well. Street fighter 2 the animated movie has some of the best animation i've ever seen.

Japanese sub's, watch beserk, trigun, gungrave, sword of the stranger, or Samurai 7

#185 Edited by BigJeffrey (5071 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

@ilikepopcans said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Hentai

I also concur with this

PM ME FOR THE DETS

NONONONONONO, nobody wants that crap. Just go to Titan Ime DOTCOM for all your quality anime needs (actually, dont go there.. I warned you, NSFW)

Ah, anyway, I remember I pulled the popular Titan Ime joke on a lot of anime nerds in my school (hint, its actually Tit Anime DOTCOM)

#186 Posted by jerseyscum (888 posts) -

@bigjeffrey:

Sexist, borderline racist and fucking hilarious. Don't ever change Rockstar.

Back on topic: Is Cruncyroll a good service?

#187 Posted by xlab3000 (37 posts) -

Yu-Gi-Oh!

#188 Posted by awesomeusername (4207 posts) -

@dacnomaniac: Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan Attack On Titan

Can't recommend enough. It's a slow show so don't expect action every episode but it's sooooooo good. Season 1 just finished and the episodes are 20 minutes each. You can finish it in a weekend.

#189 Posted by EXTomar (4836 posts) -

Crunchyroll is good enough. These services are subject to licensing constraints where if you are looking for obscure or high value shows chances are that no one has it let alone Crunchyroll.

#190 Posted by flyingace16021 (167 posts) -

Like many people have said, the Miyazaki movies is probably the best place to start. Rurouni kenshin and Full Metal Alchemist are also really great places to start. If you get past those, Code Geass is pretty great. So is Persona 4 the Animation. Subs generally tend to be better, but they can be pretty intense when you're just jumping in. A number of the Miyazaki movies have great dubs, especially Howl's Moving Castle, and Code Geass also has a pretty great Dub. Everyone's experience is different, but for someone who doesn't speak Japanese, starting with dubs helped me get into Anime.

#191 Posted by afabs515 (1175 posts) -

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note, Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin. The list goes on and on, but that should keep you busy for a while. Enjoy, and welcome to the fold!

#192 Edited by Mendelson9 (405 posts) -

I started with Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) for my first anime. I would recommend that. I just started FM Brotherhood so I can't say if you should watch that one instead, but I think people here would tell you to start with Brotherhood since it's HD. I watched some Attack of Titan, good but is only subtitled for now in case that's not your thing.

Avatar and Legend of Korra probably don't count for anime, at least the kind of anime you're looking for but you should watch those too, fantastic.

EDIT: Wow, lots of different responses in this thread. I'll need to check of some of this stuff too. Also I love that "Anime for jerks' video.

#193 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

Start with Ghost in the Shell and follow with anything Hayao Miyazaki.

#194 Edited by blackichigo (173 posts) -

I highly recommend Gurren Lagann. Its just a really fun show. It also gets fucking insane at the end. I seriously couldn't believe what I was seeing. I find it hilarious that are trying to save the Earth, but do not give one fuck about any other planet in the universe.

I also watched Welcome to NHK recently and man did that show speak to me in a scary way. I highly recommend that one if you don't want to see another anime about punching dudes.

#195 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

sex

#196 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@extomar said:

Really that is the big problem with this thread. A lot of people recommending stuff they like instead of something that won't freak out someone who has never or rarely watched Anime.

I love that you need to be "eased in to anime" like you can't go straight to heroine.

#197 Posted by blackichigo (173 posts) -

@nictel said:

@extomar said:

I love that you need to be "eased in to anime" like you can't go straight to heroine.

Yeah. You don't have to eat a bunch of Steak umms to enjoy a good steak.

#198 Posted by Hurvilo (63 posts) -

Eh. Attack on Titan is a good newbie-show, I give it that much, but it isn't exactly the cream of the crop. It's got some pretty glaring issues in pacing and directing, and in my humble opinion would've been better off with half the episodes covering the same material. As it is, a whole lot of time is wasted on superfluous monlogues and characters echoing information that we've already been told several times over.

Personally I started out with Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note and Neon Genesis Evangelion (yes, in that exact order) and I have been watching anime on a regular basis ever since. They represent a pretty good slice of what anime has to offer without getting too "weird" with presentation, culture and plot.

#199 Edited by EXTomar (4836 posts) -

@nictel said:

@extomar said:

To be brutally honest, there is a lot of junk and weird Anime "recommended" here which is may not help if they are suspicious of watching "cartoons from Japan". I love fluff shows as much as anyone but recommending them to another is something else.

#200 Edited by MondyofAus (27 posts) -

My anime career started with Spirited Away, OP. 12 years later and I haven't looked back. I couldn't recommend a better place to start.