• 58 results
#1 Edited by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Nicolas Cage is someone who I've always kind of avoided. I've just seen his compilation videos on YouTube and thought he was a crazy actor. But now I wanna experience the Nicolas Cage magic to its fullest. I've already seen a couple of his movies (Faceoff, National Treasure, Adaptation, ghost Rider, Kickass) but I wanna watch some more. I don't think I have the time or am capable of watching all of his movies, so please tell me the ones where he's the most batshit crazy.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11800 posts) -

Con Air wasn't on that list.

#3 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Raising Arizona.

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -
#5 Edited by csl316 (8445 posts) -

Vampire's Kiss. Fucking trust me.

Alex's Year of the Cage feature (RIP) had a good metric of craziness but I don't have a link handy (edit: Yes I do!). And he was genuinely good in Matchstick Men and Lord of War.

#6 Edited by GunstarRed (5119 posts) -

Con Air!

#7 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Until about 10 years ago, I would proudly say that Cage was one of my favourite actors. I say it more quietly nowadays, with doubt-filled heart, but he's still got some chops.

Raising Arizona goes without saying. You should also watch Wild at Heart and Red Rock West. Both are fairly weirdshit, bordering on completely insane.

For a slightly more recent, straightforward Cage movie, Matchstick Men is fairly decent. He plays a conman with OCD and agoraphobia.

I've also heard good things about the Bad Lieutenant 'remake', although I haven't seen it myself. Again, it's supposed to be bizarre in a so-bad-it's-good way. Incidentally, the original Bad Lieutenant is worth watching if you haven't done so. Very dark, gritty 90's version of Harvey Keitel.

#8 Edited by TheHT (11147 posts) -

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans.

The Rock

Knowing

Matchstick Men

The Wicker Man

#9 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I rented this in the late 90s and recommend everyone watch it. I had no idea what it was, but it had Nic Cage and his stuff was often crazy. I was not disappointed.

A couple of years ago I watched Peggy Sue Got Married and understood why he was nominated for an Oscar for Adaptation, a film in which the director supposedly told him to ignore his instincts as an actor. I genuinely like a lot of Nic Cage movies, like Raising Arizona and Adaptation, but I love Nic Cage the most when he's doing weird nonsense.

#10 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

the weather man is good

#11 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1029 posts) -

Most of what i would recommend has already been posted, so Gone in 60 Seconds.

And maybe @alex could give some good recommendations if he has some free time.

#12 Posted by wrecks (2244 posts) -

Wild at Heart and then Wild at Heart again.

#13 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Just figured I'd immediately quote you to warn people: brutal violence within! But also high-fivin' you as fellow fan of WaH.

#14 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3202 posts) -

The Rock, Con-Air, Gone in 60 seconds, Face Off.

#15 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

8 Millimeter is a great Cage action flick about snuff films.

#16 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4601 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Alex's Year of the Cage feature (RIP) had a good metric of craziness but I don't have a link handy.

Here ya go!

#17 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I suggest Raising Arizona and Lord of War, they are both genuinely entertaining movies for completely different reasons and in my personal opinion show Cage at his best.

#18 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@mushir: Just watch Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans over and over, never gets old.

#19 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

Vampire's Kiss is the Cageiest Cage.

#20 Edited by Daveyo520 (6682 posts) -

Damn if only you posted this yesterday. One of Netflix's joke categories was Epic Nic Cage Meltdowns.

Edit: Here it is watch these.

#21 Edited by rotorious (68 posts) -

No.....no you don't.

#22 Posted by JaredA (822 posts) -

The Wicker Man

#23 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1540 posts) -

Most of his movies are terrible. The only two I would recommend are Con Air (stupid fun) and Lord of War.

#24 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Alex's Year of the Cage feature (RIP) had a good metric of craziness but I don't have a link handy. And he was genuinely good in Matchstick Men and Lord of War.

Yes. This is correct.

Ignore the babies here who don't understand Cage, he's clearly a geen.

#25 Edited by MocBucket62 (1200 posts) -

I was gonna suggest The Croods since that's the one Nick Cage movie in theaters now, but I can tell you want live action Cage instead of animated Cage. Raising Arizona is my first suggestion, followed by Kick Ass.

#26 Edited by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

Deadfall is what you seek. View this NSFW video for the proof.

#27 Posted by MegaLombax (387 posts) -

Con Air. Pretty fun movie.

#28 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@laivasse said:

@wrecks said:

Just figured I'd immediately quote you to warn people: brutal violence within! But also high-fivin' you as fellow fan of WaH.

Yep! Wild At Heart is fucking insane. And really shows off Nic Cage at his Cage-y-est. Case and point;

#29 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
#30 Posted by Jrinswand (1704 posts) -

You, sir, are making good life choices. Every Nicolas Cage movie is a good Nicolas Cage movie.

#31 Edited by bartok (2469 posts) -

The Nic Cage meme is over the new thing is MOTHER FUCKIN' GENE HACKMAN!!!

#32 Edited by audioBusting (1507 posts) -

Most would probably disagree but Drive Angry is pretty good. Cage isn't batshit insane in this one but there are some choice scenes.

#33 Posted by MC_Hify (334 posts) -

He won an oscar for Leaving Las Vegas

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Vampire's Kiss

#35 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -
  • The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
  • Adaptation
  • Leaving Las Vegas

Unless, you know, you don't like great movies.

#36 Posted by Stepside (509 posts) -

Adaptation, Raising Arizona and Leaving Las Vegas are great.

Pretty much everything else is cringe worthy.

#37 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

Everything in this thread and The Rock

#38 Edited by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

Leaving Las Vegas is amazing but it's not a nic cage batshit crazy role, very depressing movie but definitely worth watching.

#39 Posted by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

For Cage scenery-chewing craziness

Wicker Man

Deadfall (see above post)

Bad Lt: Port of New Orleans

For a genuinely good movie w/ Cage:

Lord of War

Raising Arizona

Adaptation

Leaving Las Vegas

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (ok, i don't even remember Cage in this but it's a great movie)

Cage has also done some Japanese commercials. Those pyramids he bought don't pay for themselves, kids!

#40 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -
Yeah you do

#41 Edited by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Well you already watched Face Off. So I'm out.

No wait. Gone in 60 seconds is good fun. You should watch that.

#42 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

imo he only has three good movies, Raising Arizona, Adaption and The Bad Lieutenant.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

The Croods is yet more proof that Cage will appear in anything and everything he can to pay off that pyramid-induced real estate debt.

#44 Posted by Marcsman (3180 posts) -

Matchstick Men is it. Anything else by him is unwatchable.

#45 Posted by LTSmash (618 posts) -

Ghost Rider 2 has one good freak out:

#46 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

If you've watched the 10 minute video on Youtube of him going crazy in all his movies, you don't need to see anything else.

#47 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Because you'll never watch it, here are the finest choices that Nic Cage has ever made as an actor. Where did he pick up that voice?

#48 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

The overall lack of Matchstick Men in this thread saddens me greatly. That movie is fantastic - and so is Nic Cage IN it.

#49 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

Gone in Sixty Seconds

The Weatherman

Bringing Out the Dead

#50 Posted by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

I always though his performance in Kick Ass was under recognized.