I want to start reading comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'm in Vancouver and they have a good comic book shop there, what should I start off with?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

Should be OT...but anways, What kind of stuff are you into? ie. Sci-Fi, Horror etc...

?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver

The Watchmen, just do it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

There's ComicVine for things like this o.0

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio

Go to the comic shop and see if they sell any comic bundles. These are pretty much random comics bundle for cheap, so maybe you'll find something you like. If you do, try and look for more stuff by its authors/artists.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kush
Jayge said:
"There's ComicVine for things like this o.0"
From my observations of that site...I think he may actually be better off asking here.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DualReaver
Kush said:
"Jayge said:
From my observations of that site...I think he may actually be better off asking here."
Yeah I hear people like.... Virago hang around... there... yeah... don't go there ever.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By shotaro

I would say to you to avoid both Marvel and DC at the minute both of the companies are doing huge events - wait until the start of next year and start picking up books.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kush

It really is a bunch of weirdos, but thankfully Virago isn't one of them...and she is basically a GB converter anyways.

gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gman

I see no problem with Comic Vine obviously.  There's weirdos there just as there are here.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By mike
GMan said:
"I see no problem with Comic Vine obviously.  There's weirdos there just as there are here."
You're insane, there are no weirdos on Giant Bomb!  That is an outrage.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shotaro

Comic Vine is pretty good tbh if the community does seem a little.... closed.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum
MB said:
"GMan said:
"I see no problem with Comic Vine obviously.  There's weirdos there just as there are here."
You're insane, there are no weirdos on Giant Bomb!  That is an outrage."
We're all pretty awesome, to be honest.
gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gman
Shotaro said:
"Comic Vine is pretty good tbh if the community does seem a little.... closed."
I guess I don't see that.  I recall hostile attacks (not from everyone) when some viners tried coming over here.  The two are sister sites.  As far as I'm concerned, it should be the same community.  There's obviously a lot of the same staff on both sites.  CV is a comic site and this is a video game site.  There's no reason there should be any competition between the two.  But we're getting off topic.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
GMan said:
"Shotaro said:
"Comic Vine is pretty good tbh if the community does seem a little.... closed."
I guess I don't see that.  I recall hostile attacks (not from everyone) when some viners tried coming over here.  The two are sister sites.  As far as I'm concerned, it should be the same community.  There's obviously a lot of the same staff on both sites.  CV is a comic site and this is a video game site.  There's no reason there should be any competition between the two.  But we're getting off topic."
They share the same engine, and somehow had crossover staff. Nobody ever said they were sister sites, and nobody there or here seems to want that, so why do people push for it.

Actually, we don't even have a "Like Comic Books?" Link anymore, so far as I can see.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru
GMan said:
I agree with this. We have plenty of weirdos here and will have more in the future when this site acquires more members.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kush

I don't think the problem with CV is so much the userbase, but the way things are handled there. I don't see any mods doing anything at all... Plus when I searched the forums for some recommendations all I saw were hundreds of threads that = this: *Insert Superhero* vs. *Insert Superhero* ...I was searing The Punisher and basically every topic was "The Punisher vs. every superhero ever created"

EDIT - On topic...

I would recommend Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, anything by Chris Ware and anything by Jason (like I Killed Adolf Hitler) .

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shotaro

I agree GMan but when I went over there and said hi I basically got ignored so I dont see the point in going there any more it's a shame because the info there is very good and very accurate.

on topic - as I said wait until the new year and both DCs and Marvels current "events" have finished then try looking at those.

Outside of the main universes
Anita Blake is quite a fun noir-esque book about a vampire hunter even if it is very pulpy.
if you want a Graphic Novel I strongly reccommend WATCHMEN and also QUIVER which was a green arrow story written by Kevin Smith and is very darkly funny.

If you want stories about people who occasionally fight crime then Marvel is the way for you
for stories about superheroes who occasionally have a life other than fighting crime then DC
if neither of those extremes (and they are broad generalisations) try looking at some of the smaller publishers Image is insanely dark but more than a little unreliable (sometimes it takes 8 weeks between issues of Spawn, other times its 3 weeks - though that is once a year or so)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_

If you want some good comics though, get Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. They're all by the same author. Superb writing and art in all of them.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think DC is rolling out a comic series for Prototype, but I don't know if it is out now.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
BiggerBomb said:
"I think DC is rolling out a comic series for Prototype, but I don't know if it is out now."
That'd be pretty sweet. I want Prototype >.>
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By weltal

I don't have a lot of knowledge about comic books, but The Walking Dead is an awesome zombie survival tale.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shotaro
Jayge said:
"If you want some good comics though, get Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. They're all by the same author. Superb writing and art in all of them."

QFT Alan Moore is the man
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"I think DC is rolling out a comic series for Prototype, but I don't know if it is out now."
That'd be pretty sweet. I want Prototype >.>"

/same

:(
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush

If you're into something a bit different you should definitely check out Jason's work...

From
From "I Killed Adolf Hitler"
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Virago
Kush said:
"Jayge said:
From my observations of that site...I think he may actually be better off asking here."
As a viner, i'm gong to have to agree.
If you like good action and big tits: Madame Mirage. Deadpool is also one of my favs, solely for the writing and characters. Wanted was a great gory GN; I'd recommend that if you like more underground, grime and gritty video games.
mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mr_korean

I like calvin and hobbs.... <.<

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Karmum
Kush said:
"If you're into something a bit different you should definitely check out Jason's work...

From
From "I Killed Adolf Hitler"
"
That was quite...interesting.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gizmo

MARVEL ZOMBIES.

Marvel Zombies
Marvel Zombies

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To get on to your topic, Dunck, I would recommend a bunch of Marvel titles, but with anything Marvel or DC, you are going to have to put in a little bit of work to research up to current times. 

In Marvel, Moon Knight, Captain America, and Daredevil are all pretty solid at the moment.  The Secret Invasion stuff is just a big Pay-Per-View that is getting more complicated by the second, but if you want to get involved with that, I suggest you start back at the Civil War . . . which is like . . . two years back. 

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kush

I would highly recommend Marvel Apes as well. It really is a genius idea. The brightest minds in the business have come through once again!....In case you couldn't tell, i was being sarcastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmm, well they didn't sell any comic bundles, so I went ahead and bought The Watchmen. It's like a book, but a comic... Simply amazing. I've only read the first page or two, so I can't really say what I think of it yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gorillawhat said:
"Hmm, well they didn't sell any comic bundles, so I went ahead and bought The Watchmen. It's like a book, but a comic... Simply amazing. I've only read the first page or two, so I can't really say what I think of it yet."
You'll love it, I'm sure.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adam_grif
DualReaver said:
"The Watchmen, just do it."
What's The Watchmen?

Oh, did you mean Watchmen?

I agree!
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emilio

You should go find Akira if you can. And Kingdom Come. And Dark Knight Returns. And Batman: Year One.

And Archie Comics.

valandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By valandil

Sin City, Ronin, Batman: Dark Knight Returns, 300, Batman: Year One, and Hard Boiled. Take a guess at who is my favorite author  :)
O, and don't forget Watchmen. It's the best graphic novel ever written.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By lazyturtle

I sure have enjoyed the Ultimate Spiderman series...

Others I've enjoyed in the past: Groo, JLA, and Conan.

By the way check out your local library! My library has an awesome selection of comics/graphic novels in the YA section.