• 152 results
#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I've been working a lot the past couple of days and feel like I need to chill out a bit. I haven't watched a movie in a while so I decided I'd change that tonight. I feel like watching something recent. And by recent I mean, anything made in the past 5 years. Any suggestions? Only criteria is that the movie needs to be out on Blu ray or DVD. I'm totally fine with documentaries.

Some of the the fairly recent movies I've enjoyed have been The Social Network, Moon, District 9, Inception and a few more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Jack & Jill.

#3 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Drive is pretty good if you haven't seen it yet.

The most recent film I've seen was Prometheus. A bunch of the die hard alien "purists" weren't happy with it but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

#4 Posted by Hutzebraedl (40 posts) -

Drive

#5 Edited by oldschool2112 (93 posts) -

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

#6 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Hurt Locker.

#7 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Yeah, Prometheus was pretty great, it was so good I decided to have an Alien marathon the week I saw it and I regret nothing.

#8 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Anyway, if you don't mind Documentaries, I'd suggest "Exit Through the Gift Shop", a mockumentary about street art and a pretty amusing comedy.

#9 Posted by Tesla (1927 posts) -

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Great movie, funny and heartwarming. Looks amazing on Blu Ray too.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

The Raid: Redemption

#11 Posted by shinboy630 (1162 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I second this notion.

#12 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

Yeah, Prometheus was pretty great, it was so good I decided to have an Alien marathon the week I saw it and I regret nothing.

Hah, same here!

#13 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

#14 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

Inception

#15 Posted by mariussmit (245 posts) -

The Host is 6 years old but watch it before everyone starts confusing it with the movie based on the Stephanie Meyer book.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4658 posts) -

Hugo.

#17 Posted by Mogoping (95 posts) -

Moonrise Kingdom

#18 Posted by steveurkel (143 posts) -
@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

Haha, you are really a fucking idiot if you think Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive..

Please, OP, don't take advice from this man. He has terrible taste in movies. Go watch Drive if you want a "thinking" movie, don't watch these other suggestions they are TERRIBLE.

I'd like to recommend a good movie to watch being "The Grey", or if you wanna watch comedies watch "I love you man"
#19 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Moon 

#20 Posted by BaneFireLord (2949 posts) -

I think 21 Jump Street is out on DVD now, if you're in the mood for some brilliantly stupid entertainment.

#21 Posted by Scrawnto (2455 posts) -

@camp7203 said:

Inception

@Gargantuan said:

Moon

@Mushir said:

Some of the the fairly recent movies I've enjoyed have been The Social Network, Moon, District 9, Inception and a few more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Come on guys. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Anyway, I also recommend Drive. The Grey is also pretty good.

#22 Edited by Ketchupp (673 posts) -

Win Win because Paul Giamatti is all that is man.

#23 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Did someone just say Sherlock Holmes is superior to Drive? I'll admit I didn't see Game of Shadows. I didn't see it because the first movie was just stupid and silly (though I admit I liked the look of old London). Drive is fantastic. Watch it.

#24 Posted by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

wanderlust

#25 Posted by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -

Hugo sound like a good choice for you.

#26 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

Moon
#27 Posted by Joker369 (881 posts) -

Hugo was my favorite movie of the past few years

#28 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

The God of Carnage.

#29 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

I'm pretty sure just about anybody on this website has a chance of loving Scott Pilgrim vs. The World as much as I do.

Also, The Fighter, Black Swan, The Muppets, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Attack the Block are all undersold for their excellence.

#30 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Drive is awesome, watch it. Some other recently made movies I've enjoyed are:

Hunger - Steve McQueen's first movie (not that Steve McQueen) starring Michael Fassbender. It's about a hunger strike in an Irish prison by Irish republicans. Very subtle movie, but it rocks.

Win Win - Paul Giamatti plays a wrestling coach / struggling lawyer who finds a kid who's like a wrestling prodigy. Wasn't expecting to like it but I ended up loving it.

The Guard - Irish black comedy with Don Cheadle and Brendan Gleeson, sort of like In Bruges but in the style of Tarantino or something. Which reminds me...

In Bruges - Black comedy with Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell, I frickin love this movie

I have no idea what genre you want but some other movies I've really like in the past few years are 50/50, The Grey, Michael Clayton, both Sherlock Holmes, Bridesmaids, Burn After Reading (or like any Coen Bros...except maybe A Serious Man), Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Black Death, Up, Pan's Labyrinth.

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10316 posts) -

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Wait did you just imply that the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie is mentally stimulating? It's like the Transformers of period pieces.

#32 Edited by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

Micmacs, Hugo, Exit Throught the Gift Shop, This Must Be the Place, Mary and Max, Unthinkable

@MikkaQ said:

@oldschool2112 said:

Wait did you just imply that the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie is mentally stimulating? It's like the Transformers of period pieces.

The latest Sherlock Holmes had so many ridiculous plot and world inconsistencies that I wanted to puke.

#33 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

I didn't like Drive. A lot of veeeery slow plot development based on puppy love.

Great practical effects though, and the new 5.0 Mustang was nice to look at.

#34 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I'm pretty sure just about anybody on this website has a chance of loving Scott Pilgrim vs. The World as much as I do.

Also, The Fighter, Black Swan, The Muppets, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Attack the Block are all undersold for their excellence.

All good choices, although I didn't like The Fighter so much. I live where the movie is set though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

but still the winner is:

@dennisthemennis said:

In Bruges - Black comedy with Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell, I frickin love this movie

IN BRUGES! See In Bruges! I like his other options too, but IN FUCKING BRUGES!

#35 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3064 posts) -

The Departed (actually came out six years ago, but whatever), Inglourious Basterds, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men

#36 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -

WANDERLUST.

#37 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I really liked Shame with Michael Fassbender, but it's very dark--not a fun movie at all, just fascinating and brilliantly made. This is going back a few more than five years to 2003, but if you're into documentaries you need to see The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara. One of the best docs I've ever seen.

And I also have to chip in simply as a matter of duty and throw my rock at the guy who said that Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive. That's just ridiculous.

#38 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

10thing Drive, amazing movie, just don't go into it expecting a mindless car chase movie because that isn't what it is at all, It actually reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad, not for the story but the tone of it, and that is awesome.

If you liked Moon/inception, you may want to check out Source Code, It was made by the same guy as Moon and it has an Inception vibe; I didn't like it nearly as much as Moon and I hated Inception, but it's not bad.

#39 Posted by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

Wall-E and Up are both great.

I love The Artist as well (but I'm going to go with most people here hating it).

I did of double bill of The Rocketeer and Captain America the other day. That was great fun (even if they really are sort of the same movie).

#40 Posted by Sackmanjones (4739 posts) -

Drive is awesome but if your looking to chill it may not be the best. Actually the amazing spiderman might be good. It's rather light hearted with a few dark parts. Overall though it's a nice and fun adventure

#41 Posted by falpatrick (173 posts) -

Drive is a fucking masterpiece. Not some fast and furious bullshit that the teens wanted to see. Watch it, bro.

#42 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Sherlock Holmes is fun, but doesn't require you to think. Because of that it never felt like a Sherlock Holmes movie.

Watch Drive.

It's probably, in my opinion, Nicolas Winding Refn's most accessible film. The whole film is just one long upward slope to the climax and can appear slow.

@Hairy_Fish said:

@BraveToaster said:

This too. If you actual want constant, great action, then this is the movie.

Or if you want a comedy

Horrible Bosses

#43 Posted by Bane122 (799 posts) -

Recently saw and greatly enjoyed both Chronicle and 21 Jump Street.

Chronicle is a nice take on the found footage genre and Jump Street caught me off guard with just how funny it was.

#44 Posted by SeanFoster (878 posts) -

X-Men: First Class!

#45 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Mushir: Fright Night the 2011.

I don't know if that is new enough for you but it is a damn good movie.

#46 Posted by MX (242 posts) -

I was totally going to recommend Brick but that's 7 years old, I thouroughly enjoyed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Also Source Code, The American, No country for Old men all pop in to head.

#47 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@steveurkel said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Haha, you are really a fucking idiot if you think Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive.. Please, OP, don't take advice from this man. He has terrible taste in movies. Go watch Drive if you want a "thinking" movie, don't watch these other suggestions they are TERRIBLE. I'd like to recommend a good movie to watch being "The Grey", or if you wanna watch comedies watch "I love you man"

Jesus dude it's just the guys opinion. I disagree with that opinion though, I was really disappointed with "A Game of Shadows" and very surprised with "Drive". So yeah, go watch Drive it's fantastic. If you had said that "Valhalla Rising" was a mental masturbation flick, I would have agreed with you, but not "Drive".

#48 Posted by Anupsis (302 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Jack & Jill.

You sir, are a MONSTER!

#49 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

The Grey. Man, that movie was SOOOOO fucking good.

#50 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@Mushir:

You could watch Iron Sky

(I will say, I don't think the trailer does it justice, some of the jokes are out of context and are much funnier in the actual movie)

If anything, it's probably the dumbest movie I've seen all year, but as long as you aren't expecting high cinema you'll enjoy it.