I want to watch a very good and recent movie.

• 151 results
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

I've been working a lot the past couple of days and feel like I need to chill out a bit. I haven't watched a movie in a while so I decided I'd change that tonight. I feel like watching something recent. And by recent I mean, anything made in the past 5 years. Any suggestions? Only criteria is that the movie needs to be out on Blu ray or DVD. I'm totally fine with documentaries.

Some of the the fairly recent movies I've enjoyed have been The Social Network, Moon, District 9, Inception and a few more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Jack & Jill.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jimi

Drive is pretty good if you haven't seen it yet.

The most recent film I've seen was Prometheus. A bunch of the die hard alien "purists" weren't happy with it but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

hutzebraedl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By hutzebraedl

Drive

oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By oldschool2112

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By supamon

Hurt Locker.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By mscupcakes

Yeah, Prometheus was pretty great, it was so good I decided to have an Alien marathon the week I saw it and I regret nothing.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mesoian

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Anyway, if you don't mind Documentaries, I'd suggest "Exit Through the Gift Shop", a mockumentary about street art and a pretty amusing comedy.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Tesla

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Great movie, funny and heartwarming. Looks amazing on Blu Ray too.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

The Raid: Redemption

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By shinboy630

@BraveToaster said:

I second this notion.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By galiant

@mscupcakes said:

Yeah, Prometheus was pretty great, it was so good I decided to have an Alien marathon the week I saw it and I regret nothing.

Hah, same here!

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hairy_Fish

@BraveToaster said:

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By camp7203

Inception

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15  Edited By mariussmit

The Host is 6 years old but watch it before everyone starts confusing it with the movie based on the Stephanie Meyer book.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By RVonE

Hugo.

Mogoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mogoping

Moonrise Kingdom

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gargantuan

Moon 

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BaneFireLord

I think 21 Jump Street is out on DVD now, if you're in the mood for some brilliantly stupid entertainment.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scrawnto

@camp7203 said:

Inception

@Gargantuan said:

Moon

@Mushir said:

Some of the the fairly recent movies I've enjoyed have been The Social Network, Moon, District 9, Inception and a few more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Come on guys. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Anyway, I also recommend Drive. The Grey is also pretty good.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ketchupp

Win Win because Paul Giamatti is all that is man.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By BoG

@Mesoian said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Did someone just say Sherlock Holmes is superior to Drive? I'll admit I didn't see Game of Shadows. I didn't see it because the first movie was just stupid and silly (though I admit I liked the look of old London). Drive is fantastic. Watch it.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xdaknightx69

wanderlust

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zaccheus

Hugo sound like a good choice for you.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theguy

@Gargantuan said:

Moon
Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joker369

Hugo was my favorite movie of the past few years

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Morrow

The God of Carnage.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'm pretty sure just about anybody on this website has a chance of loving Scott Pilgrim vs. The World as much as I do.

Also, The Fighter, Black Swan, The Muppets, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Attack the Block are all undersold for their excellence.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beepmachine

Drive is awesome, watch it. Some other recently made movies I've enjoyed are:

Hunger - Steve McQueen's first movie (not that Steve McQueen) starring Michael Fassbender. It's about a hunger strike in an Irish prison by Irish republicans. Very subtle movie, but it rocks.

Win Win - Paul Giamatti plays a wrestling coach / struggling lawyer who finds a kid who's like a wrestling prodigy. Wasn't expecting to like it but I ended up loving it.

The Guard - Irish black comedy with Don Cheadle and Brendan Gleeson, sort of like In Bruges but in the style of Tarantino or something. Which reminds me...

In Bruges - Black comedy with Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell, I frickin love this movie

I have no idea what genre you want but some other movies I've really like in the past few years are 50/50, The Grey, Michael Clayton, both Sherlock Holmes, Bridesmaids, Burn After Reading (or like any Coen Bros...except maybe A Serious Man), Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Black Death, Up, Pan's Labyrinth.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

Wait did you just imply that the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie is mentally stimulating? It's like the Transformers of period pieces.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By imsh_pl

Micmacs, Hugo, Exit Throught the Gift Shop, This Must Be the Place, Mary and Max, Unthinkable

@MikkaQ said:

@oldschool2112 said:

Wait did you just imply that the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie is mentally stimulating? It's like the Transformers of period pieces.

The latest Sherlock Holmes had so many ridiculous plot and world inconsistencies that I wanted to puke.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By psylah

I didn't like Drive. A lot of veeeery slow plot development based on puppy love.

Great practical effects though, and the new 5.0 Mustang was nice to look at.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Little_Socrates said:

I'm pretty sure just about anybody on this website has a chance of loving Scott Pilgrim vs. The World as much as I do.

Also, The Fighter, Black Swan, The Muppets, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Attack the Block are all undersold for their excellence.

All good choices, although I didn't like The Fighter so much. I live where the movie is set though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

but still the winner is:

@dennisthemennis said:

In Bruges - Black comedy with Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell, I frickin love this movie

IN BRUGES! See In Bruges! I like his other options too, but IN FUCKING BRUGES!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowConqueror

The Departed (actually came out six years ago, but whatever), Inglourious Basterds, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

WANDERLUST.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By frankfartmouth

I really liked Shame with Michael Fassbender, but it's very dark--not a fun movie at all, just fascinating and brilliantly made. This is going back a few more than five years to 2003, but if you're into documentaries you need to see The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara. One of the best docs I've ever seen.

And I also have to chip in simply as a matter of duty and throw my rock at the guy who said that Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive. That's just ridiculous.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#38  Edited By Kidavenger

10thing Drive, amazing movie, just don't go into it expecting a mindless car chase movie because that isn't what it is at all, It actually reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad, not for the story but the tone of it, and that is awesome.

If you liked Moon/inception, you may want to check out Source Code, It was made by the same guy as Moon and it has an Inception vibe; I didn't like it nearly as much as Moon and I hated Inception, but it's not bad.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By OldGuy

Wall-E and Up are both great.

I love The Artist as well (but I'm going to go with most people here hating it).

I did of double bill of The Rocketeer and Captain America the other day. That was great fun (even if they really are sort of the same movie).

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Sackmanjones

Drive is awesome but if your looking to chill it may not be the best. Actually the amazing spiderman might be good. It's rather light hearted with a few dark parts. Overall though it's a nice and fun adventure

falpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falpatrick

Drive is a fucking masterpiece. Not some fast and furious bullshit that the teens wanted to see. Watch it, bro.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrpandaman

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Sherlock Holmes is fun, but doesn't require you to think. Because of that it never felt like a Sherlock Holmes movie.

Watch Drive.

It's probably, in my opinion, Nicolas Winding Refn's most accessible film. The whole film is just one long upward slope to the climax and can appear slow.

@Hairy_Fish said:

@BraveToaster said:

This too. If you actual want constant, great action, then this is the movie.

Or if you want a comedy

Horrible Bosses

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bane122

Recently saw and greatly enjoyed both Chronicle and 21 Jump Street.

Chronicle is a nice take on the found footage genre and Jump Street caught me off guard with just how funny it was.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeanFoster

X-Men: First Class!

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rb_man

@Mushir: Fright Night the 2011.

I don't know if that is new enough for you but it is a damn good movie.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By mx

I was totally going to recommend Brick but that's 7 years old, I thouroughly enjoyed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Also Source Code, The American, No country for Old men all pop in to head.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@steveurkel said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Haha, you are really a fucking idiot if you think Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive.. Please, OP, don't take advice from this man. He has terrible taste in movies. Go watch Drive if you want a "thinking" movie, don't watch these other suggestions they are TERRIBLE. I'd like to recommend a good movie to watch being "The Grey", or if you wanna watch comedies watch "I love you man"

Jesus dude it's just the guys opinion. I disagree with that opinion though, I was really disappointed with "A Game of Shadows" and very surprised with "Drive". So yeah, go watch Drive it's fantastic. If you had said that "Valhalla Rising" was a mental masturbation flick, I would have agreed with you, but not "Drive".

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Anupsis

@Video_Game_King said:

Jack & Jill.

You sir, are a MONSTER!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By jakob187

The Grey. Man, that movie was SOOOOO fucking good.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By SerHulse

@Mushir:

You could watch Iron Sky

(I will say, I don't think the trailer does it justice, some of the jokes are out of context and are much funnier in the actual movie)

If anything, it's probably the dumbest movie I've seen all year, but as long as you aren't expecting high cinema you'll enjoy it.