• 67 results
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Edited By Hizang

So a few weeks ago I let the internet know that I believe myself to be depressed, I say believed because I've not had it confirmed by a doctor. So I was going to go a few weeks ago, but when I went to make it I chickened out, I just told myself things will sort themselves out. But then a few days later I would feel down again and say to myself I am going to make one, but yet again the next day I would convince myself not to go. Well I haven't felt really down for a few days, but i told myself its my half day at work today so I'm going to go to the doctors.

I hate the waiting room at the doctors, all the chairs and slanted slightly so your always falling forward on them. No phones allowed either so its just me sitting there thinking whats he going to tell me. When I got in he asked me a few simple questions, he didn't give much feedback just asked questions. At the end he gave me a questionnaire to fill in, then to come back in a few weeks. It was nice talking to a professional about this, but I wish he would have gave more feedback.

I've been going downhill though, not too much but I've been told by others I don't seem as cheerful as I was yesterday or just not seemed myself. My parents have noticed too, I recommended to my dad one day that we go to Paris on holiday. So my dad books it and me and him are going to stay in a hotel in Paris for 2 days, I hate to feel like this but Im not excited. It's not that I just don't want to go, I just am not excited about it.

Just a small update to those that wanted me to keep them informed. Oh and the Wii U launches in the UK tomorrow, I think I may get one. But fuck Tesco have zero advertisements up or anything, strange.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hizang

So a few weeks ago I let the internet know that I believe myself to be depressed, I say believed because I've not had it confirmed by a doctor. So I was going to go a few weeks ago, but when I went to make it I chickened out, I just told myself things will sort themselves out. But then a few days later I would feel down again and say to myself I am going to make one, but yet again the next day I would convince myself not to go. Well I haven't felt really down for a few days, but i told myself its my half day at work today so I'm going to go to the doctors.

I hate the waiting room at the doctors, all the chairs and slanted slightly so your always falling forward on them. No phones allowed either so its just me sitting there thinking whats he going to tell me. When I got in he asked me a few simple questions, he didn't give much feedback just asked questions. At the end he gave me a questionnaire to fill in, then to come back in a few weeks. It was nice talking to a professional about this, but I wish he would have gave more feedback.

I've been going downhill though, not too much but I've been told by others I don't seem as cheerful as I was yesterday or just not seemed myself. My parents have noticed too, I recommended to my dad one day that we go to Paris on holiday. So my dad books it and me and him are going to stay in a hotel in Paris for 2 days, I hate to feel like this but Im not excited. It's not that I just don't want to go, I just am not excited about it.

Just a small update to those that wanted me to keep them informed. Oh and the Wii U launches in the UK tomorrow, I think I may get one. But fuck Tesco have zero advertisements up or anything, strange.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HerbieBug

I'm concerned about this "come back in a few weeks" business. Would you be okay with going back to him right away? Fill out the questionnaire and bring it along.

The usual procedure for possible depression is a set of blood tests to rule out any possible physical ailments you may have that are exacerbating your low mood. Once those are clear, he may offer you the option of trying medication. He can also refer you for therapy if you think that may help you.

Don't delay too much on this. Depression does not usually sort itself out. It will ruin your life if you allow it to.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@Hizang:

That's weird how they handled it but it may be where you went or a difference between cultures. Typically, when I do an initial assessment of someone I have about 1.5-2 hours with them and at the end I have a diagnosis in mind. I give them a basic idea of what I'm thinking and that it will take me a week to write up the report, figure out who would be a good therapist for them (if I think they would benefit from therapy), and then that therapist would call them to set up an appointment. But I'm also a mental health therapist. A physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist might handle things differently.

I'm glad to see that you went though. I hope you see some benefit from it.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By murisan

Keep going. I have an appointment on Tuesday that I've been debating cancelling because I'm feeling good, but you have to be regimented about these things. Depending on the doctor, he probably deals with many patients and needs the time to analyze your answers and structure his treatment to your particular issues.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

Dude, it's great to hear that you're going to seek help. A lot of people don't even try, fpr fear or something else.
Keep it up, I hope you get to feeling much better.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Yep, this is the right way towards a better life. It's all you.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 1momosauky

Keep it up, I personally live by the quote " the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Keep removing and adding stuff to your life until you feel better.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hizang
@HerbieBug It's him that said come back in a few weeks, I would have wanted to fill it out then and there and then he give me an assessment. I can only go once a week anyway due to my work.
I'm also unsure about when to fill out the questionnaire, am I supposed do do it when I feel like shit (Right now) or fill it out in a few days when I'm happier.
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

@Hizang said:

@HerbieBug It's him that said come back in a few weeks, I would have wanted to fill it out then and there and then he give me an assessment. I can only go once a week anyway due to my work. I'm also unsure about when to fill out the questionnaire, am I supposed do do it when I feel like shit (Right now) or fill it out in a few days when I'm happier.

Maybe stupid idea, but I would say both (?). Make a copy and fill both in, see what is different. Probably depends on how the questions are asked though, I would assume they ask you not about how you are feeling right now, but if you had certain tendencies during the last few weeks/months.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

@JasonR86 said:

@Hizang:

That's weird how they handled it but it may be where you went or a difference between cultures. Typically, when I do an initial assessment of someone I have about 1.5-2 hours with them and at the end I have a diagnosis in mind. I give them a basic idea of what I'm thinking and that it will take me a week to write up the report, figure out who would be a good therapist for them (if I think they would benefit from therapy), and then that therapist would call them to set up an appointment. But I'm also a mental health therapist. A physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist might handle things differently.

I can only speak for Swedish general practitioners (which is what a lot of people here with less urgent psychiatric issues will meet initially), but with them it's ~15 minutes per patient in the vast majority of cases. There is simply no way 1-2 hours could be spent on a single patient meeting -- there are way too many patients and way too little time.

Of course, if you're coming to a GP for something like depression you'll almost certainly be referred to a psychiatrist or therapist where you'll get longer meetings.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brother_PipPop
@xaLieNxGrEyx

I wish I had a father growing up, my dad decided to go insane so I spent my childhood being beat by an abusive stepfather. You seem to have it just awful though.

Have fun with your WiiU and trip to Paris.

Hmm that's sad.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainCody

You know, I can't give you sympathy for any of this. It sounds like you're struggling with your own emotions and that's a battle of your own willpower and one that you certainly don't have much to be upset about. What you have for spending money in a month is more than I have pocketed in the past 6 months while I deal with my very uncertain life thanks to horrible people. Just get over it, man, that's how you win.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@CaptainCody said:

You know, I can't give you sympathy for any of this. It sounds like you're struggling with your own emotions and that's a battle of your own willpower and one that you certainly don't have much to be upset about. What you have for spending money in a month is more than I have pocketed in the past 6 months while I deal with my very uncertain life thanks to horrible people. Just get over it, man, that's how you win.

"Just get over it, man, that's how you win."

That's probably the least helpful thing you could tell someone.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By SoylentGreen

@CaptainCody said:

That's a pretty messed-up thing to say, dude. Everyone's different, and thus deal with their emotions in different ways.

Some can't, and need professional help to do so. You can't say who can and who can't feel bad about stuff just because you might be in a shitty situation; it's like comparing apples and oranges.

@Hizang: I've been going to see a therapist for a couple of months now. The hardest part was telling myself that I needed to talk to someone, and then acting on that. So, good for you for taking the first step - I think more people would do it (and would certainly benefit from doing so) if there was less of a stigma around it. It's definitely helped me, and I hope it helps you.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Levio

Have you considered developing a superhero persona and fighting crime? That's typically how people deal with emotional issues. I mean, you could also become a villian or rogue character, but you don't seem the type, so that only leaves hero or sidekick.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maajin

@CaptainCody said:

Because money solves everything, sure. I don't know you, but if this attitude is any indication, I'm not surprised you have to deal with horrible people.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Max_Cherry

@Hizang said:

Hey, I think it's very brave of you to seek professional help. I want you to know that you are not alone. I'm on my second medical leave from school in order to treat my severe OCD and the subsequent clinical depression. I've been seeing doctors for as long as I remember, but this is still the hardest thing I have ever done. I have my doubts. Is this worth it? Is this even working? There are no clear answers to these questions, but go on anyway. All anyone can do is to live life and do there best (that is the essence of prayer). One tip is to structure some of your time in order to have a sense of purpose. Try and know I will be right by your side trying too from across the pond.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Do you go out? Have a job? Social life? Those can really help.  

Or it might just boil down to you having a chemical imbalance. You might need meds dude. I have massive issues with anziety. One day I stared at my recently bought Iphone 4 and all most too it back because I was not using it 24/7 and had not filled up the 32 gigs of space in the 15 hours I had it. 

lemonlateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lemonlateralus

Im on citalopram for depression, have been for a month. Really glad i took the steps needed. Feel on the level/balanced more often now and no longer down. All the best my fellow bomber.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LikeaSsur

I hope you get better.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

About as helpful as you can be when the problem in question is, "I'm depressed, just because."

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JasonR86

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

About as helpful as you can be when the problem in question is, "I'm depressed, just because."

Well...the thing really is is that we can't answer "I'm depressed, just because." because even if we had the training to address that problem this isn't the place to do it. With that said though 'just get over it' just makes you come across real bad and doesn't help at all. So knowing that it doesn't help why bother saying it at all? If you think you can't add anything to the thread then why say anything at all? I know it's a forum and we should all feel welcome to say whatever we want but at some point we all need to know when we have nothing to add.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

While I agree that depression sucks and that you should do something about it, wow, I'm stunned by how dependent on psychiatrists we have become.

I mean, god damn, it's like a regular casual thing to have a shrink now. They're making mad money off of us that they shouldn't because not everyone needs them, they're not freaking fitness trainers! Try to do the usual shit that makes a person feel good before deciding you need help.

Everyone so quick to say "you need help" nowadays, mang.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dungbootle

Best wishes to you.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Getz

I was at a psychologist's place once, not a doctor mind, and basically the only thing they can really do is give you that checklist that I'm sure you already know the content of.

Are you tired all the time, or conversely do you have trouble sleeping regularly? Have you lost the enjoyment of things that used to excite you? Etc.

If yes, you're probably depressed and only after talking for awhile can you really get to the root of why. There's no magical answer they're gonna give you after visiting once, so the best advice I can give you is not to be anxious.

I know, it's a funny thing to tell a depressed person not to be anxious, but you'll get your answers soon enough.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@AhmadMetallic said:

While I agree that depression sucks and that you should do something about it, wow, I'm stunned by how dependent on psychiatrists we have become.

I mean, god damn, it's like a regular casual thing to have a shrink now. They're making mad money off of us that they shouldn't because not everyone needs them, they're not freaking fitness trainers! Try to do the usual shit that makes a person feel good before deciding you need help.

Everyone so quick to say "you need help" nowadays, mang.

Well, mental health professionals come in many forms. Private practice psychologist, psychiatrist, and counselors can, but not necessarily, make a lot of money. Most mental health professionals though work in community centers or hospitals though. They make moderately good money but, for me anyway, I'm not rolling in money. Most mental health professionals make 30-50K a year in the US with private practitioners often making more.

But the other thing that hopefully happens is that just because people believe they need help doesn't necessarily mean they actually need help from a therapist. For example, I did an assessment of a 10 year old boy. I came to the conclusion that psychotherapy wouldn't be helpful and reassured the parents and offered some quick and dirty skills in parenting to help them through their rough patch. Mental health professionals are supposed to offer their clients the best service they can. Sometimes that means telling them that mental health services wouldn't be a benefit.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By breadfan
@CaptainCody said:

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By pyromagnestir

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

The ignorance we humans have about our own brain and the disorders and issues it causes amazes me. And sometimes the callousness some can have to them, or the stigma attached to those issues and disorders just fucking depresses me. This isn't one of those times, as I find myself more mildly annoyed by this comment than depressed, but he isn't depressed "just because." The brain is a complex instrument, dude. If it's out of whack even the slightest then willpower don't mean shit. Especially considering "willpower" is just another manifestation of something controlled by the brain anyways.

However let me insert my usual disclaimer that I know nothing and am likely wrong about everything I just said.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaptainCody

@pyromagnestir said:

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

The ignorance we humans have about our own brain and the disorders and issues it causes amazes me. And sometimes the callousness some can have to them, or the stigma attached to those issues and disorders just fucking depresses me. This isn't one of those times, as I find myself more mildly annoyed by this comment than depressed, but he isn't depressed "just because." The brain is a complex instrument, dude. If it's out of whack even the slightest then willpower don't mean shit. Especially considering "willpower" is just another manifestation of something controlled by the brain anyways.

However let me insert my usual disclaimer that I know nothing and am likely wrong about everything I just said.

I've been severely depressed before, and for actual reasons. I got over it because of willpower I would say. So yes, you do know nothing.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@pyromagnestir said:

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

Yep, you can't just "get over" depression if it's being caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain. You could have all the money in the world and live the easiest life and still be depressed.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd love to get some help with my anxiety issues, willpower has taken me very far but the fact is I'll be sitting in a lecture and suddenly start to freak out about why I'm even there in that room with all those people. I'll just have an intense urge to run out of the room screaming, and I have no explanation to offer myself other than I probably have social anxieties that I've never dealt with or acknowledged.

The worst part is that either my anxiety causes me to be depressed, or I'm depressed which causes some anxiety and I don't know which is which.

But I don't have time for any of that. Being in film production guarantees I have to deal with incredibly difficult social situations while not having any time to actually learn to cope with it. Sucking it up is all I have right now. And it sucks.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By living4theday258

@CaptainCody said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

I've been severely depressed before, and for actual reasons. I got over it because of willpower I would say. So yes, you do know nothing.

good for you. Some people cant do it with just will power.

Actual reasons? did you happen to think that he had his reasons for feeling down but just didn't wanna tell you? would you tell a group of people your personal problems? Think a little bit next time.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By carlthenimrod

@CaptainCody said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

That's the equivalent to believing that Pepto-Bismol is the end all be all to stomach related illnesses.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By envane

@Hizang: thanks for the update , good luck

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Duder_Me

Have you ever thought about spirituality? Just a suggestion.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By forkboy

@Hizang said:

I found this interesting to read as it brought back memories of my first trip to the doctor for help with depression. Took me until 2010 to actually work up to it, just into the new year. That first step is always one of the hardest things, so many fears to overcome, hence why it took me something like 12 years after first suspecting I might have more than just a temporary low mood which was just down to teenage shit. So well done on getting over the threshold. The waiting room is an odd experience, I heartily recommend taking a book or magazine with you just to keep your mind on something other than building up the tension over the impending appointment.

The problem for GPs is just that they don't have oodles of time for you, I think it's somewhere between 10 & 15 minutes for each appointment & they obviously can't diagnose you in such a short period of time. What I'll say is that I did that questionnaire (this one, right?) is that I did it while I was there at the surgery. When you do it I don't think matters hugely, because as far as I remember it is referring to events from over the past 2 weeks. That's my recollection at least. And if you are having suicidal thoughts or urges to self-harm, anything like that, definitely mention that. I still remember my general shock at the revelation that most people don't have suicidal thoughts on a regular basis & that's supposedly a really serious thing. The other problem with GPs, well they are generalists. They often don't know lots about treating depression, & so depending on the type of doctor they may prescribe you some sort of medication, along with advice such as a minimum of 30 minutes exercise a day (a brisk walk is all you need), & then after a couple of appointments just to confirm you're really depressed they'll probably pass you on to the Community Mental Health team, who are much better equipped to deal with these things. Although that process can be a bit frustrating at first, getting bounced from one person to another until you are with the right person but stick with it. That's something I learnt to my cost.

The apathy from depression was the hardest part though, or at least it was for me. It just takes the joy from almost everything you once loved to do. And when you struggle to find things that give you joy it then becomes a hassle to be motivated to do positive things that could potentially improve your mood. Fortunately there are some anti-depressant medication which can deal with that apathy to some extent, so at least some of the time you'll care enough to wash yourself, take general care of yourself. But part of it has to come from you wanting to find a reason to care about things. And that's hard as fuck. Good luck.

@CaptainCody said:

So I just did something that you clearly didn't bother doing & actually read the original post. No where does he ask for your sympathy. So fuck off with this bullshit, eh? What a worthless contribution.

@lemonlateralus said:

Im on citalopram for depression, have been for a month. Really glad i took the steps needed. Feel on the level/balanced more often now and no longer down. All the best my fellow bomber.

Just a note of warning but I was advised by my GP that citalopram would take 6-8 weeks before you would expect to notice any actual effects from the medication, so if it is boosting your mood it could well be psychosomatic from just the feeling of doing something about this problem that could have plagued you for years. Which isn't a bad thing, but just a note so you don't get down-hearted if it doesn't work miracles instantly.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By big_jon

@Hizang: What are you hoping for the doctor to do? I have suffered from depression as I would guess most of us have at some point, I never found the doctor to be any help, they gave me shitty drugs that did nothing but make me feel dizzy, and made it hard to get a boner, this intern made me more depressed. I would suggest taking up a hobby, working out, swimming, a sport, or something else that is equally likely to stimulate you and get you out into the world, and socializing.

Depression usually comes from not going out and doing things in my experience. I must say that I feel a whole shit ton better when I work out than when I sit around being lonely. Not to say that you do none of these things but personally I find them to be a life changer when it comes to making myself happy.

Just my advice, I hope you get your stuff worked out.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RazielCuts

@Hizang said:

I recommended to my dad one day that we go to Paris on holiday. So my dad books it and me and him are going to stay in a hotel in Paris for 2 days

Oh and the Wii U launches in the UK tomorrow, I think I may get one. But fuck Tesco have zero advertisements up or anything, strange.

Dude...wtf...I can't relate to you AT ALL...it's like you're the rich kid with all the money but you're still not happy...I don't think I can help you...you have nothing to worry about if you can go to Paris for two days and buy a Wii U on a whim...

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By EpicSteve

I was recently diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The trick is with any mental disorder is to not really think about it much or use it as a crutch. You just gotta kind of force yourself into situations that let you sweep that bullshit under the rug.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Freshbandito

@CaptainCody said:

Oh good. You got over it, I'll remember that next time my sibling who suffers from crippling depression makes an attempt on their life. I'll just say "ahh fuck it, I won't worry, they'll just get over it and they don't need to talk to someone professional or not" thank god they can just use the magic word WILLPOWER! and banish all their worries, hormonal, emotional and psychological.

Depression comes about from many different causes not all would be solved by "getting over it" when hormone imbalances are affecting the way you think there's no just getting over it and I'm disgusted that you'd disregard people who genuinely seek help because they need it so I say, No, you know nothing and further fuck your callousness.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TruthTellah

@RazielCuts said:

@Hizang said:

I recommended to my dad one day that we go to Paris on holiday. So my dad books it and me and him are going to stay in a hotel in Paris for 2 days

Oh and the Wii U launches in the UK tomorrow, I think I may get one. But fuck Tesco have zero advertisements up or anything, strange.

Dude...wtf...I can't relate to you AT ALL...it's like you're the rich kid with all the money but you're still not happy...I don't think I can help you...you have nothing to worry about if you can go to Paris for two days and buy a Wii U on a whim...

Even rich people get sick, and it's not great for them either. In this case, whether or not he has more reasons for feeling comfortable and positive in his life than many others is irrelevant next to what helps people overcome mental disorders such as depression, let alone what ultimately makes someone happy.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By DarthOrange

Are you going to eat snails and other gross and gnarly stuff in Pairs? If you do can you take pics and post them in a blog for me to see? And of course feel better duder! 

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RazielCuts

@TruthTellah: I hate to bring up 'class wars' but William is pretty much in the 'advantaged' class of the UK (judging from this posts and prior). And I'm not saying I hate on anyone just because they have money or vice versa don't have money. I just feel like if you're complaining about your 'depression' and life when you have opportunities to visit other countries and buy new gaming consoles on a whim then you're not being a realist to todays society. The main problems for a person living in the general society of today are - Do I have a job? Check. A steady income? Check. And as far as I'm concerned at this point you are doing a whole lot better than a lot of other people in this current society so stop feeling sorry for yourself. Following from his prior threads, he just seems bored at his station in life. So what? Go to night school then, learn something different to help build you into the career you want to have. I don't have friends/ the friends I used to have? Join a club, start a new hobby. A lot of people right now can't even find a decent wage and a reliable job to be in to even worry about the extraneous other things so my honest feelings of 'oh, I'm depressed' is in all honesty you're just coming off as some self indulgent spoilt child.

ShinyTan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShinyTan

Do people not realize that depression can be biological?

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Freshbandito

So getting angry at someone's ignorance aside I should actually contribute and give bad advice!

I glanced over a questionaire that most doctors give to people being diagnosed with depression here in the UK and it's incredibly generic questions that just kind of result in a person is fine / person is unhappy result and from there they'll look to forward you to someone better qualified to narrow in what is causing your particular woeful moods and thoughts. If you really want the help it may take a while to get to the root of it but in the meanwhile things you can do to help keep yourself centred:

• Find something that really matters to you / that you enjoy and latch onto it as an escape from any melancholy feelings
  • When a particular thought is triggering waves of negative feelings write it down and alongside it write down things that make you feel good to show yourself there's good to counterbalance the bad
  • Find someone you can talk to about any feelings and trust, just talking about it openly to someone can sometimes make a huge difference.

Having seen how depression can affect someone very closely I sincerely hope you find the root of your melancholy and through professional or close family and friend's help start on the road to being in a positive mind set again soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TruthTellah

@RazielCuts said:

@TruthTellah: I hate to bring up 'class wars' but William is pretty much in the 'advantaged' class of the UK (judging from this posts and prior). And I'm not saying I hate on anyone just because they have money or vice versa don't have money. I just feel like if you're complaining about your 'depression' and life when you have opportunities to visit other countries and buy new gaming consoles on a whim then you're not being a realist to todays society. The main problems for a person living in the general society of today are - Do I have a job? Check. A steady income? Check. And as far as I'm concerned at this point you are doing a whole lot better than a lot of other people in this current society so stop feeling sorry for yourself. Following from his prior threads, he just seems bored at his station in life. So what? Go to night school then, learn something different to help build you into the career you want to have. I don't have friends/ the friends I used to have? Join a club, start a new hobby. A lot of people right now can't even find a decent wage and a reliable job to be in to even worry about the extraneous other things so my honest feelings of 'oh, I'm depressed' is in all honesty you're just coming off as some self indulgent spoilt child.

If he were to suggest that his struggle with depression is worse than others' struggle with finding work and just getting by, -that- would be him coming off as a self-indulgent, spoiled child, but people have problems even if they aren't huge problems. It's okay to complain about a problem in your life, and in this case, it sounds like an illness which he may or may not be able to get over on his own.

As a fellow human being, he should be able to express himself sincerely, and for him, it is a very real problem. It doesn't discount the problems of others. It doesn't allege to be more than it is. It's simply a problem, and it's something concerning him. Problems, big or small, are fine to express yourself about, and trying to keep some friends online up-to-date on how it is going is perfectly reasonable and appreciated. Because no matter how relatively big the problem is, people still care about such problems, and as people that care about him as a person, others here are interested in updates on how he is doing and wish him well.

There will always be people worse off than yourself, just as there will always be people better off than yourself, but that shouldn't mean you can't express yourself over your triumphs or trials both big and small. That's all he is doing here, and while you may not be able to relate to it, others might. And for those concerned over him and others in their lives, even the relatively lesser problems in life still matter.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SlashDance

Paris is a great city (I've been living here since April). Whenever I feel down I walk down the Champs Elysees avenue all the way to the Louvres and all is well again. I hope you enjoy your stay.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainCody

@living4theday258 said:

@CaptainCody said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@CaptainCody said:

@JasonR86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

good for you. Some people cant do it with just will power.

Actual reasons? did you happen to think that he had his reasons for feeling down but just didn't wanna tell you? would you tell a group of people your personal problems? Think a little bit next time.

I like Hizang, I'm not trying to antagonize him, and have no intention of responding to anyone trying to attack me because they think everything in life needs to be hugs and kisses. He's usually pretty open about everything, and I expect that the reason he wrote this was out of boredom, but, if he was sure of why he was depressed and shared it (like he has everything else) I think he would be able to get actual reassurance, not pity.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hizang

So I just woke up.
I read every comment in this thread, I'm not going to respond to them all, but give a quick note. I have a full time job, I have £800 ($1300) disposable income, I live at home with my parents and I have a good circle of friends. But sometimes I feel like none of that matters, I feel so crappy. I go out and buy stuff for no reason other than I think it will make me happy, I will feel detached and lonely from my family and friends. I will just feel empty inside as if I am just a shell of a human being walking around, I feel useless and annoyed at myself because I should have no reason to be depressed due to my safe and secure lifestyle.
But I am, as many others have mentioned I didn't decide to be depressed, I just am a unlucky person, it could be a medical issue with my brain or it could be something in my life that I'm not seeing.
For those telling me to grow up and get over it, that's a very silly way of looking at deppression, how can you get over deppression if its a medical issue. That's like telling sombody with cancer to just get over it.
Think before you type.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

I'd be bummed out too if I had a bunch of spending money and my dad would book me a trip to Paris.