If my girlfriend is 17 & she runs away, is it kidnapping?

• 53 results
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jNerd

Scenario:

I couldn't fit the whole predicament into the title.
If my girlfriend is 17 & she takes her car to come hangout with Me (18)  
At my friends house, HYPOTHETICALLY if her Mom calls the cops & says she "ran away" what are the legal ramifications?
What exactly is my role in this legal scenario & what trouble would/could I be getting into?

EDIT:

This was totally hypothetical & isn't actually happening, lol. I won't even have to worry in 2 months she's 18. hahaha.
But thanx for everyone worrying & a few of you for making asses of yourselves.
-1<3 GB
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VWGTI

I'm sure our legal system could twist that into kidnapping in some way, but common sense would say you're not at fault.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You didn't do anything. She came to you.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum
@jNerd said:

" I couldn't fit the whole predicament into the title. If my girlfriend is 17 & she takes her car to come hangout with Me (18)  at my friends house, HYPOTHETICALLY if her Mom calls the cops & says she "ran away" what are the legal ramifications? What exactly is my role in this legal scenario & what trouble would/could I be getting into? "

The only role you have in this scenario would be the fact that you're her boyfriend. As long as you didn't help "plan" any of this and she goes on her own, she is the only one at fault and risk. I assume her mother doesn't want her to date you or something? She couldn't just tell her that she is going out and then meet up with you?

Edit - Do you two live far apart from each other or something?
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By baconbits33

Well depends.... if you get a judge like Sotomayor you will likely be screwed over.... other than that..... keep it down a notch to a local thing and convince your Girlfriend to go back and tough it out for one more year, that way your not in the crossfire of this bullshit.... unless your gettin some, then well done.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

Omg sexual raptor!!!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE

W
T
F

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By matthew

In most states, a person also has to be missing for a 24 hour period before being reported and (possibly) have action taken by the officials.  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

Probably not.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I take it either her mom doesn't like you or she doesn't want her daughter out and about...with you.  Whatever, don't care about that.  To your question... 

Depending on the state, it's tricky.  If you are not holding her anywhere against her will, then there is not a kidnapping charge available.  Preliminary charges could be brought up by the mother for kidnapping, but they would get dropped pretty quick.  However, she can charge you with aiding and abedding a runaway under the age of adulthood...or something to that effect.  I can't remember the exact term for it at the moment.  It depends on your state laws, however.  Here in Texas, if you are 17 or older and you leave your parents' house to go to your boyfriend's, then the parents are basically fucked.  It gets even more complicated as we still enforce commonlaw marriage as well (if you're in a relationship and have lived together for longer than a year, then you are married...and if one of you moved out, you would have to file for divorce and everything, it's nutty, I know). 

SOOOOO...depending on your state laws for age of consent to all the shit consent would mean, you could either be in deep shit or scott-free.  Just don't fuck her.  Most states will still consider that statutory rape (except Texas). 

With that said...your girlfriend planning on running away?

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By baba2

What if your girlfriend isn't 17? That is the question you should be asking yourself.

Seriously though, nothing should happen unless they have proof that you helped plan it or have previous connections to kidnapping. I don't think that it could be twisted to make you look like the bad guy.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jNerd
@Karmum said:
" @jNerd said:

" I couldn't fit the whole predicament into the title. If my girlfriend is 17 & she takes her car to come hangout with Me (18)  at my friends house, HYPOTHETICALLY if her Mom calls the cops & says she "ran away" what are the legal ramifications? What exactly is my role in this legal scenario & what trouble would/could I be getting into? "

The only role you have in this scenario would be the fact that you're her boyfriend. As long as you didn't help "plan" any of this and she goes on her own, she is the only one at fault and risk. I assume her mother doesn't want her to date you or something? She couldn't just tell her that she is going out and then meet up with you? "
No, her Mom just is trying to punish her for leaving work early or something ridiculous.
I have no part in this besides her wanting to see me because I fly back into Denver tomorrow & I haven't seen her in 5 weeks.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By keyhunter

Give that chick some slick dick.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jNerd
@Matthew said:
" In most states, a person also has to be missing for a 24 hour period before being reported and (possibly) have action taken by the officials.   "
A run-away isn't a missing-persons charge bro.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking
@jakob187 said:
"I take it either her mom doesn't like you or she doesn't want her daughter out and about...with you.  Whatever, don't care about that.  To your question...  Depending on the state, it's tricky.  If you are not holding her anywhere against her will, then there is not a kidnapping charge available.  Preliminary charges could be brought up by the mother for kidnapping, but they would get dropped pretty quick.  However, she can charge you with aiding and abedding a runaway under the age of adulthood...or something to that effect.  I can't remember the exact term for it at the moment.  It depends on your state laws, however.  Here in Texas, if you are 17 or older and you leave your parents' house to go to your boyfriend's, then the parents are basically fucked.  It gets even more complicated as we still enforce commonlaw marriage as well (if you're in a relationship and have lived together for longer than a year, then you are married...and if one of you moved out, you would have to file for divorce and everything, it's nutty, I know).  SOOOOO...depending on your state laws for age of consent to all the shit consent would mean, you could either be in deep shit or scott-free.  Just don't fuck her.  Most states will still consider that statutory rape (except Texas).  With that said...your girlfriend planning on running away? "

Yup, this guy pretty much nailed it on the head.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By matthew
@jNerd: You're right.  I was using the terms incorrectly.  After looking on the interweb for a couple minutes, it does look like it is a "status offense" in a few states.  I have no idea what that means, but if it involves the cops, its normally not a good thing.  But as long as you had no hand in planning or aiding in her 'running away,' then you should be scotch free.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
@jNerd said:
"No, her Mom just is trying to punish her for leaving work early or something ridiculous. I have no part in this besides her wanting to see me because I fly back into Denver tomorrow & I haven't seen her in 5 weeks. "
Well, who are you to say that her mother isn't allowed to punish her for doing stupid shit like leaving work early?  Was she supposed to be at work?  If so, then that's irresponsibility on your girlfriend's part.  Yes, the mom is being petty in MY eyes, but I'm not the mother...so it doesn't matter.  In turn, you are the boyfriend, and in the mother's eyes, your opinion doesn't mean shit.  Sorry, but that's the honest and hard truth of it. 

How old are you, by the way?  o.O 

And a runaway CAN be a missing persons charge if she's been missing for longer than 24 hours and the parents feel like filing it.  -_-  If you think otherwise, then why are you on this thread asking us if your girl voluntarily coming to your house without you helping to plan it in any way whatsoever, through texts...or e-mails...or forum threads asking if it's kidnapping...would be CONSIDERED kidnapping?  o.O
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I think her mother would probably be the one in trouble with the law if she reported her kidnapped, when she wasn't. I wouldn't risk it though, unless she is really hot.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Don't do it

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude
@jNerd said:
" @Karmum said:
" @jNerd said:

The only role you have in this scenario would be the fact that you're her boyfriend. As long as you didn't help "plan" any of this and she goes on her own, she is the only one at fault and risk. I assume her mother doesn't want her to date you or something? She couldn't just tell her that she is going out and then meet up with you? "
No, her Mom just is trying to punish her for leaving work early or something ridiculous. I have no part in this besides her wanting to see me because I fly back into Denver tomorrow & I haven't seen her in 5 weeks. "
Long distance relationships suck. Good luck with that.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By keyhunter

All I can say is "How embarrassing."

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jNerd
@jakob187 said:

" @jNerd said:

"No, her Mom just is trying to punish her for leaving work early or something ridiculous. I have no part in this besides her wanting to see me because I fly back into Denver tomorrow & I haven't seen her in 5 weeks. "

Well, who are you to say that her mother isn't allowed to punish her for doing stupid shit like leaving work early?  Was she supposed to be at work?  If so, then that's irresponsibility on your girlfriend's part.  Yes, the mom is being petty in MY eyes, but I'm not the mother...so it doesn't matter.  In turn, you are the boyfriend, and in the mother's eyes, your opinion doesn't mean shit.  Sorry, but that's the honest and hard truth of it.  How old are you, by the way?  o.O  And a runaway CAN be a missing persons charge if she's been missing for longer than 24 hours and the parents feel like filing it.  -_-  If you think otherwise, then why are you on this thread asking us if your girl voluntarily coming to your house without you helping to plan it in any way whatsoever, through texts...or e-mails...or forum threads asking if it's kidnapping...would be CONSIDERED kidnapping?  o.O "
OK, dude. You need to slow down & stop assuming stupid shit ok? 
Because you're over complicating this & bringing up stuff I don't give a rats ass about. 
She had an opportunity to leave work early because it was overstaffed & she left (which doesn't matter)
I don't care what her Mom thinks (not part of this discussion)
My question is the legal circumstances.....
I don't care if she is a missing person after 24 hours (again I didn't ask you shit about this)
I didn't ask if my opinion mattered to her mother.....
I didn't say she was coming to MY house, learn to read.
I'm not helping her plan anything.

So now that I've filtered through all the added calories you've so unknowingly added to this conversation.

I am 18, if I am at my best bros house chillin & she shows up in her car.
Can I be held legally responsible for anything? I'm her boyfriend & didn't help PLAN anything.
I don't know of any PLAN she just said she might come over after work tomorrow though her Mom said not to.

Got it yet?
Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arjuna

ALBA, Texas —   Investigators say a bloody attack on a rural East Texas family's home may have resulted from family opposition to a daughter's boyfriend.

Rains County Sheriff department confirmed Sunday a 16-year-old girl is one of four suspects being held for the violent murders of her mother and two brothers.

The girl, whose name is being withheld due to her age, is the girlfriend of one of the suspects, investigators revealed. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

My only question is why are you on here instead of spending time with her?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I had a friend who was in a situation similar to this. His girlfriend ran away and stayed with him in a hotel. Everything was fine for a few weeks, but then she called a friend to tell her she was okay. Long story short: her friend called the parents. A few hours later police were at the front door. He got locked up for statutory rape and contributing to the deliquence of a minor- but no kidnapping charges.  Of course this depends on whether or not the parents press charges, and a big factor is the state of which is happens in.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jNerd
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" My only question is why are you on here instead of spending time with her? "
Because I am in Baltimore Maryland, I have been for almost 5 weeks.
I live in Denver Colorado, where she currently presides. If I could be, I would be bro.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FrankCanada97
@jNerd said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @jNerd said:

Well, who are you to say that her mother isn't allowed to punish her for doing stupid shit like leaving work early?  Was she supposed to be at work?  If so, then that's irresponsibility on your girlfriend's part.  Yes, the mom is being petty in MY eyes, but I'm not the mother...so it doesn't matter.  In turn, you are the boyfriend, and in the mother's eyes, your opinion doesn't mean shit.  Sorry, but that's the honest and hard truth of it.  How old are you, by the way?  o.O  And a runaway CAN be a missing persons charge if she's been missing for longer than 24 hours and the parents feel like filing it.  -_-  If you think otherwise, then why are you on this thread asking us if your girl voluntarily coming to your house without you helping to plan it in any way whatsoever, through texts...or e-mails...or forum threads asking if it's kidnapping...would be CONSIDERED kidnapping?  o.O "
Because you're over complicating this & bringing up stuff I don't give a rats ass about. 
She had an opportunity to leave work early because it was overstaffed & she left (which doesn't matter)
I don't care if she is a missing person after 24 hours (again I didn't ask you shit about this) I didn't ask if my opinion mattered to her mother..... I didn't say she was coming to MY house, learn to read. I'm not helping her plan anything.  So now that I've filtered through all the added calories you've so unknowingly added to this conversation.  I am 18, if I am at my best bros house chillin & she shows up in her car. Can I be held legally responsible for anything? I'm her boyfriend & didn't help PLAN anything. I don't know of any PLAN she just said she might come over after work tomorrow though her Mom said not to.  Got it yet? "
 How can he help himself from assuming stuff? Your first post gave us jack shit about what sort of circumstances you, your girlfriend or her mother are in.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jNerd
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @jNerd said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @jNerd said:

I don't care if she is a missing person after 24 hours (again I didn't ask you shit about this) I didn't ask if my opinion mattered to her mother..... I didn't say she was coming to MY house, learn to read. I'm not helping her plan anything.  So now that I've filtered through all the added calories you've so unknowingly added to this conversation.  I am 18, if I am at my best bros house chillin & she shows up in her car. Can I be held legally responsible for anything? I'm her boyfriend & didn't help PLAN anything. I don't know of any PLAN she just said she might come over after work tomorrow though her Mom said not to.  Got it yet? "
 How can he help himself from assuming stuff? Your first post gave us jack shit about what sort of circumstances you, your girlfriend or her mother are in. "
All the info necessary for the hypothetical situation are above, besides MAYBE the fact that I didn't help plan this charade.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jNerd
@Out_On_Bail said:
" I had a friend who was in a situation similar to this. His girlfriend ran away and stayed with him in a hotel. Everything was fine for a few weeks, but then she called a friend to tell her she was okay. Long story short: her friend called the parents. A few hours later police were at the front door. He got locked up for statutory rape and contributing to the deliquence of a minor- but no kidnapping charges.  Of course this depends on whether or not the parents press charges, and a big factor is the state of which is happens in. "
See, I'm not holding her up anywhere. Helping her hide overnight in a hotel or my house & I haven't fucked her 5 weeks (on vacation).
I'm wondering how I would be "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" if I didn't do anything really, lol. I'm kind of making sure I'm not overlooking something.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@jNerd: Oh my bad, I should clarify there was drugs and liquor in the room when the cops showed up.  That's where he got the contributing charges from. Sorry about that misunderstanding.  Here's something I found on the net that might give a little more insight. Keep it mind this is obviously for VA, not entirely sure of where she is and all the details of your situation.

Quoting Virginia Code § 18.2-371 - Causing or encouraging acts rendering children delinquent, abused, etc.; penalty; abandoned infant.
Any person 18 years of age or older, including the parent of any child, who (i) willfully contributes to, encourages, or causes any act, omission, or condition which renders a child delinquent, in need of services, in need of supervision, or abused or neglected as defined in § 16.1-228, or (ii) engages in consensual sexual intercourse with a child 15 or older not his spouse, child, or grandchild, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed as repealing, modifying, or in any way affecting §§ 18.2-18, 18.2-19, 18.2-61, 18.2-63, 18.2-66, and 18.2-347.

If the prosecution under this section is based solely on the accused parent having left the child at a hospital or rescue squad, it shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution of a parent under this section that such parent safely delivered the child to a hospital that provides 24-hour emergency services or to an attended rescue squad that employs emergency medical technicians, within the first 14 days of the child's life. In order for the affirmative defense to apply, the child shall be delivered in a manner reasonably calculated to ensure the child's safety.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Daryl

Making forum topics like this aren't gonna look good in your court case.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By damnboyadvance

If she ran away while she was with you, the police would definitely investigate. And if the couldn't find her, or while they were finding here, you would most likely be questioned. I'm not a cop or a lawyer, but that's my guess.

Why are you asking?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mikemcn

Unless they have evidence that you forced her to come to your house against her will, they cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt you did anything. Thats all there is to it.  Your fine.....
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@Mikemcn said:
" Unless they have evidence that you forced her to come to your house against her will, they cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt you did anything. Thats all there is to it.  Your fine..... "
They don't have to prove anything, if he is harboring a runaway he is breaking the law.  It doesn't matter if he forced her to stay with her, if he knowingly allows an underage runaway to live with him instead of calling the authorities he is wrong.  I may not agree with the law, but in my state of Virginia that's how it is.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Gunner

Wow, With the info your giving us, i would hate to be your lawyer.

neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By neoyamaneko
@jNerd:  Kidnapping is detaining and/or transporting the unwilling.  In the case of those under legal age, then it doesn't matter if they are willing or not.  However, if she CAME to you and didn't tell you what she did, then you can't be held accountable.  However, if she did, then it would be your responsibility as an adult to tell her to go home.  And under either circumstance, she can't stay for an extended period of time (i.e. overnight, 2 days, etc.).  It's called "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor".
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you wouldn't get in much shit, she practically the same age.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jNerd
@Bucketdeth said:

" I'm sure you wouldn't get in much shit, she practically the same age. "

Ya, totally bro. I'm only like 3 months older, lol. But it's all good, that WAS a hypothetical.
I wanted to know what would go down in the worst case scenario. Everything is coolio now & her Mom isn't pms-ing.
......funny how we always run into eachother Bucketdeth :P lol
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
@VWGTI said:
" I'm sure our legal system could twist that into kidnapping in some way, but common sense would say you're not at fault. "
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Keyser_Soze
@keyhunter said:
" All I can say is "How embarrassing." "
Hahaha, and to think this dweeb threatens to "knock" me out. 

jnerd you really are a nerd.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeffsekai

This is silly.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jNerd
@Keyser_Soze said:

" @keyhunter said:

" All I can say is "How embarrassing." "

Hahaha, and to think this dweeb threatens to "knock" me out.   jnerd you really are a nerd. "
Well you keep drinking your protein shakes you old Canadian & all that muscle you have under that "healthy fat" isn't going to get you 1/2 the woman I lay, so be jealous & cover it with your smug facade. I don't care anymore bro....

I'm going HOOOOME!!!!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By AndrewB

Ah, the internet.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Keyser_Soze
@Jeffsekai said:

" This is silly. "

Took the words right out of my mouth.

For your own sake jnerd don't do it, otherwise you may end up being someone else's girlfriend in prison.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By AndrewB
@Keyser_Soze: Sounds kinky.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By Virago

The answer is always yes.

Minors are dangerous. 

Be careful.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Akeldama

this site looks more and more like 4Chan by the day.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GalacticPunt

Cool self-incrimination, bro.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By sjschmidt93

Here parents really don't like you, huh? You must be a real deliquent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jNerd said:
"@Bucketdeth said:

" I'm sure you wouldn't get in much shit, she practically the same age. "

Ya, totally bro. I'm only like 3 months older, lol. But it's all good, that WAS a hypothetical.
I wanted to know what would go down in the worst case scenario. Everything is coolio now & her Mom isn't pms-ing.
......funny how we always run into eachother Bucketdeth :P lol "
Haha yeah man, I come at all the right times my friend ; )