• 109 results
Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: If someone was being unprofessional at there job would you try to get that person fired? (181 votes)

If whatever that person was doing was wrong then yeah... 61%
Nah I wouldn't try to get the person fired regardless if it was wrong... 39%

Yesterday at Planet Fitness people got upset at this personal trainer. Long story short he was training this overweight guy for a few months. I guess the trainer got fed up with him and started saying some harsh words. Telling him that training with him was a complete waste of his time, that the guy was lazy, and he called him a fatass. He ended up making the guy cry...

So these women got upset at the trainer and cussed him out. Then went to the manager to try and get him fired. As for me I just went right back into working out. Though I was thinking about the whole situation. I could see why the trainer lashed out, but it was unnecessary and wrong.

#1 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

If you are a trainer and you are lashing out at overweight people IN A GYM, which is first of all their own business and second apparently he brings up the courage to do something about it (so cudos to the overweight guy), you clearly have the wrong job and be thankful for the people that get you fired.

#3 Edited by falserelic (5476 posts) -

@wuddel said:

If you are a trainer and you are lashing out at overweight people IN A GYM, which is first of all their own business and second apparently he brings up the courage to do something about, you clearly have the wrong job and be thankful for the people that get you fired.

Yeah, if he couldn't handle his line of work. He should have never signed up in the first place.

#4 Posted by D_Mac (136 posts) -

This person sounds like a jerk, and a bad personal trainer.

#5 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

I got someone I worked with fired previously, but to be fair he was a Christmas temp in a shop, and a student. If this was someone's full time job and they relied upon their income, I'd certainly think twice.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9363 posts) -

That really sounds less like an employee just being unprofessional and more like people standing up for someone being abusive to a fellow human being. If someone's being unprofessional and horsing around, that's one thing. Maybe they just need to be reprimanded a bit, but if someone's using their position of authority to bully someone, then it makes sense to stand up for them and try to make sure that person isn't in that position anymore.

It sounds to me like those women did the right thing.

#7 Edited by Humanity (9647 posts) -

Remember, snitches get stitches. In this case though, if you're a personal trainer you should have more patience and people skills. If I worked there as another trainer I don't think I'd go rat him out because him being a jerk wouldn't influence my job. With time, people would complain enough where he would get fired by natural causes.

In fact I've never snitched on anyone in my entire working career. This one job I worked at people broke rules all the time, and it was all done with the knowledge that managers don't tell on other managers. Yet every time I did anything remotely shady this one guy always reported on me - and he was the one guy that broke like every rule in the book. I never retaliated and in the end that didn't work out great for me but I guess I still had some integrity; although integrity is an increasingly worthless trait in the modern working world, along with dedication, respect and loyalty.

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2978 posts) -

@matti00: You got a student Christmas temp fired from retail? Without knowing the circumstances this sounds like a dick move.

#9 Posted by Sinusoidal (1683 posts) -

Is their job being a proofreader? Cause, yeah, I'd totally fire their ass.

/grammarnazi

Aren't personal trainers people you pay to call you a fatass?

#11 Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) -

@humanity said:

Remember, snitches get stitches. In this case though, if you're a personal trainer you should have more patience and people skills. If I worked there as another trainer I don't think I'd go rat him out because him being a jerk wouldn't influence my job. With time, people would complain enough where he would get fired by natural causes.

In fact I've never snitched on anyone in my entire working career. This one job I worked at people broke rules all the time, and it was all done with the knowledge that managers don't tell on other managers. Yet every time I did anything remotely shady this one guy always reported on me - and he was the one guy that broke like every rule in the book. I never retaliated and in the end that didn't work out great for me but I guess I still had some integrity; although integrity is an increasingly worthless trait in the modern working world, along with dedication, respect and loyalty.

I'm usually the type of guy to mind my own business. Since getting a job is tough, and I have no idea what a person might be going through. The last thing I would want to do is get someone fired. Unless it was something that was out of line that bothered me.

#13 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

This story goes beyond "being unprofessional". I would not try to get someone fired for being "unprofessional". It's usually a manager's job to determine if somebody needs to be let go based on a pattern of behavior.

But this situation is different. That guy is representing the gym while abusing a customer. That may also open up the gym to liability, BTW.

#14 Posted by Humanity (9647 posts) -

@falserelic: I think the rule to live by is - if they don't mess with you then don't mess with them. If someone wants to go out on their break and smoke a joint, and them being high has absolutely no bearing on you getting your job done, then I don't see any reason to rat on him.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) -

@humanity said:

@falserelic: I think the rule to live by is - if they don't mess with you then don't mess with them. If someone wants to go out on their break and smoke a joint, and them being high has absolutely no bearing on you getting your job done, then I don't see any reason to rat on him.

True, growing up I was always told to keep my mouth shut. Especially since the schools I went too had alot of gang members, and I've watched people almost get beat to death for snitching. I've seen alot of messed up stuff and never told nobody about it.

#16 Posted by Christoffer (1877 posts) -

If it's a single instance he shouldn't get fired, everyone can have a bad day. Maybe he will make up for it to the trainee. But his boss should be informed, no doubt about it.

#17 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

If it's a single instance he shouldn't get fired, everyone can have a bad day. Maybe he will make up for it to the trainee. But his boss should be informed, no doubt about it.

this

#18 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

No, you should only try to get his ass fired when you are in the same situation. Stop trying to be a social justice warrior. People can take care of themselves.

#19 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

@razielcuts: Dude was going above and beyond when it came to being unprofessional. Late to work, rude to customers, not doing what was asked of him. I was supervising the temps and the manager basically said "give me the word and he's gone". Everyone was sick of him and the manager was begging for an excuse to fire his ass, but I was the one who pulled the trigger on it ultimately.

#20 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

@razielcuts: Dude was going above and beyond when it came to being unprofessional. Late to work, rude to customers, not doing what was asked of him. I was supervising the temps and the manager basically said "give me the word and he's gone". Everyone was sick of him and the manager was begging for an excuse to fire his ass, but I was the one who pulled the trigger on it ultimately.

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

Fat people are not children who require other people to babysit them/us. If the person he was talking to thought that their abuse had gone beyond the motivational level, they would do something themselves. Put down the kite shields, paladins, and let another adult deal with their own shit.

If a stranger did that 'on my behalf', I would be more furious than after the trainer cussed me out. ... Eh, it depends if I thought I deserved the cussing.

I say them/us because I've yoyo'd for the last few years. Right now I probably wouldn't count as fat, but I'm familiar enough with being.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

If it was some kind of job where them being a dipshit could get someone hurt then I would totally say something. Especially if it meant me potentially getting injured. I would refuse to work with the guy until they addressed the issue. If it's just a guy goofing off and not doing his job properly I probably wouldn't say anything unless he was doing it day in day out and making my job harder by proxy.

#23 Posted by DeF (4929 posts) -

In your example, that dude's got to go. This isn't someone say "Hey wassup!" instead of "Good day to you sir/madam!" when greeting customers. This is embarrassing and offending a person publicly at your job undeservedly. Unacceptable.

#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14092 posts) -

That guy sounds awful, I would have gone straight to the manager. In general though, it depends how unprofessional the person is being, but if they were doing anything that bad I'd at least want to make sure their employer knew about it.

#25 Posted by TobbRobb (4762 posts) -

Hell no, it'd have to be something really serious, or something that affects me directly. Otherwise I would most likely just ignore it completely.

Also that trainer should get thicker skin. Ofcourse it's annoying when the customer doesn't try properly, but that just means you have to try harder, not bitch at him....

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4762 posts) -

Hell no, it'd have to be something really serious, or something that affects me directly. Otherwise I would most likely just ignore it completely.

Also that trainer should get thicker skin. Ofcourse it's annoying when the customer doesn't try properly, but that just means you have to try harder, not bitch at him....

#27 Edited by Demoskinos (15034 posts) -

You guys have obviously not seen any episodes of The Biggest Loser.

#28 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1625 posts) -

Someone who is being a fucking monster to another person who is trying to fix themselves. Oh, hell yeah I'd get him fired, and make sure he couldn't use that former work place as a reference.

He may have also been in a roid rage, that can make you a monster as well.

#29 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Man up, guys. If I saw a co-worker treating like shit a client, who probably have huge self-esteem problems ( he's overweight, so it's pretty possible ), I'd definitely go and talk to him about it and how he probably just destroyed a guy's will to lose weight in public. It's so fucking wrong. I'd make him understand, making sure he feels like the rotten shit he his, before going to the manager. He'd probably end up admitting he was wrong and would treat the client better next time.

#30 Posted by impartialgecko (1651 posts) -

People are perfectly capable of getting themselves fired without my help.

#31 Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) -

@demoskinos: I really hope that was stage. A lady being scared of the pain from a workout? LMAO! she doesn't know the meaning of pain...

#32 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

I work in a store where my manager, who is married, is sleeping around with married and engaged coworkers of mine. They get a lot of preferential treatment, getting to go home when they want, have days off, sit in the office with him all day and made one of them manager when everyone agreed that she was the least capable out of all the applicants. People have complained to head office about him and they said they'd carry out an investigation but nothing happened, then again he's also close friends with the ladies in head office.

There are so many people that have great positions that don't deserve them, if you know the right people you can get away with anything.

#33 Posted by Humanity (9647 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

I work in a store where my manager, who is married, is sleeping around with married and engaged coworkers of mine. They get a lot of preferential treatment, getting to go home when they want, have days off, sit in the office with him all day and made one of them manager when everyone agreed that she was the least capable out of all the applicants. People have complained to head office about him and they said they'd carry out an investigation but nothing happened, then again he's also close friends with the ladies in head office.

There are so many people that have great positions that don't deserve them, if you know the right people you can get away with anything.

Thankfully you are moving to America soon so your problems will be gone.

#35 Posted by Tireyo (6447 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

People are perfectly capable of getting themselves fired without my help.

Well said. Also, that guy was unprofessional and deserves whatever is coming his way.

#36 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

The guy should be fired, especially at the extent that he went on to calling him a fat ass. Clearly that guy has a problem and can't help but take it out on someone else. Everyone has bad days at work but you don't take it out on others.

I have never tried to get anyone fired but I have made complaints, cause ultimately if that employee gets other complaints it will be handled eventually. At the moment there is someone I do actually want fired, a Manager at my partners Apartment Complex Office. She has been someone who has been very incompetent for years now.

#37 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Every trainer I've seen at my gym is complete garbage. They don't teach proper form at all. I'm surprised one of their clueless clients hasn't hurt themselves already, or maybe they have. I don't know.

#38 Posted by Abendlaender (2845 posts) -

If you are bad at doing your job then maybe somebody who is better at doing said job should take over.

#40 Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Every trainer I've seen at my gym is complete garbage. They don't teach proper form at all. I'm surprised one of their clueless clients hasn't hurt themselves already, or maybe they have. I don't know.

For me I don't depend on trainers to help me with my fitness goals. I've always been self-tought, and learned different workout routines by myself. I have seen trainers do a poor job at helping people. Sometimes I wonder why people pay extra money for trainers. When they could have easily just found out stuff from looking through the internet, and with trial and error they could have got it done themselves.

#41 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

I constantly remind CBSi of Giant Bomb's unprofessional behavior on fridays but they never do anything about it D:

#42 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

Yes. Especially this guy, who sounds like an asshole bully who shouldn't be working with people. I understand that people may have a bad day, and if I were his supervisor I would take into account his history, but at some point you don't bring those problems to work.

#44 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Gym drama.

#45 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Gym drama.

#46 Posted by bybeach (4916 posts) -

@duskvamp said:

I saw things that bad where I used to work. Sex was only part of it, and actually not the primary. One was pretty amusing when he got caught. There seemed to be a general moral corruption, and it went up the ladder. Kind of rediculous and sad really, because of what I thought mostly not-bad ppl. needing to do to cover their asses and the jank and scapegoating it created. I'm gone and memories fade.

#47 Posted by Giantstalker (1697 posts) -

We have a zero-tolerance policy on drugs in the Canadian Forces, and three of us ended a roommate's career in the army by telling the military police he possessed marijuana in his truck.

They found it and the guy got busted, but I still don't know how I feel about it. When it came to actual soldiering he was competent. The guy was a veteran and was probably having a rougher time coping with his troubles post-tour, which explains why he was using it. But it's still a blatant contradiction of the code of service discipline, and us knowing without telling anyone was itself a crime under that code.

#48 Posted by senrat (326 posts) -

What the trainer said was definately over the line, sure the guy might not have been putting in the effort he needed to, but calling the guy a fatass will not help him at all. It seems the overweight guy may not have the willpower to get in shape, in that case this training should have stopped a while ago before it came to this.

#49 Edited by senrat (326 posts) -

What the trainer said was definately over the line, sure the guy might not have been putting in the effort he needed to, but calling the guy a fatass will not help him at all. It seems the overweight guy may not have the willpower to get in shape, in that case this training should have stopped a while ago before it came to this.

#50 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1625 posts) -

@arabes said:

@brodehouse said:

Fat people are not children who require other people to babysit them/us. If the person he was talking to thought that their abuse had gone beyond the motivational level, they would do something themselves. Put down the kite shields, paladins, and let another adult deal with their own shit.

If a stranger did that 'on my behalf', I would be more furious than after the trainer cussed me out. ... Eh, it depends if I thought I deserved the cussing.

I say them/us because I've yoyo'd for the last few years. Right now I probably wouldn't count as fat, but I'm familiar enough with being.

What this guy said. The fat lad should stand up for himself instead of breaking down and crying like a gigantic baby. For fucks sake, he's just fat, it's not like he has fucking polio and he can't walk and the trainer is screaming at him for being lazy. Maybe if stopped being such a pussy he wouldn't mind being fat and he'd tell that trainer to go fuck himself. As it is, he just sounds pathetic.

You people are just as bad as that fucking asshole who made the man cry in the first place. Under no circumstances is it ever appropriate to make another person cry.