• 109 results
Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) 10 months, 21 days ago

Poll: If someone was being unprofessional at there job would you try to get that person fired? (181 votes)

If whatever that person was doing was wrong then yeah... 61%
Nah I wouldn't try to get the person fired regardless if it was wrong... 39%

Yesterday at Planet Fitness people got upset at this personal trainer. Long story short he was training this overweight guy for a few months. I guess the trainer got fed up with him and started saying some harsh words. Telling him that training with him was a complete waste of his time, that the guy was lazy, and he called him a fatass. He ended up making the guy cry...

So these women got upset at the trainer and cussed him out. Then went to the manager to try and get him fired. As for me I just went right back into working out. Though I was thinking about the whole situation. I could see why the trainer lashed out, but it was unnecessary and wrong.

#102 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

You can have a bad day, but you can't have a bad day at the expense of a coworker, much less a customer. If its his first offense and he is usually a pretty good employee, the acting manager won't fire him, though some punitive measure would probably be in order.

#103 Posted by spraynardtatum (2604 posts) -

@arabes said:

@alwaysbebombing: Fuck you. He's a grown fuckin man who's crying because someone cause someone called him a lazy fat ass, if he can't stand up for himself to someone swearing at him then he deserves to be thrown to the wolves. He's not a baby, stranger shouldn't being going to complain on his behalf. If he wanted to lodge a complaint then he should have done it himself. Seriously, a grown man shouldn't cry cause someone gave out to him, that's just fucking ridiculous. And it's not even as if the trainer was wrong the dude obviously is a lazy fat ass. Other wise he woudln't be so fucking fat. If he's serious about getting fit or what ever it was he was doing then he will need to surmount bigger obstacles than someone giving him a hard time for christ's sake.

And by the way, there are times when making someone cry is a perfectly legitimate. Especially when they need a good kick up the arse.

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who cause pain, and those who prevent it. I guess we know what kind of person you are.

Yep that was a seriously disgusting read. Pathetic. @arabes so you're basically saying that the chubby guy deserved to be made fun of and is a baby because he got sad after he was made fun of? You're a regular Ebinezer Scrooge.

#104 Edited by Aterons (198 posts) -

Well, I guess it really depends on the circumstances.

Maybe the guy was trying to motivate him with one of those "rage" speeches but than kinda got out of control because he was pissed at the guy or had a bad day or whatever.

I am a relatively fat guy, not obese or grotesque kinda fat but above average, and when I had to do some "therapy" for medical reasons ( aka not trying to lift shit to loss weight but doing "gymnastics" for bones and muscles to recover and adjust ) the doctor was very confused as to what exercise to assign me at first because he never worked with a 100kilo 2 metter tall guy and he confessed that at time it was almost frustrating... he was chill guy and I am a relatively chill guy so there was no getting angry or yelling going on buy I assume that the gym trainer was no the calmest of persons if he started cursing out loud in the gym and the fat guy is not ether if he started crying.

So put these 2 persons together and add to that the fact that the coach likely never had to train someone as fat and thus doesn't know how to work with him and fells like what he does has no effect and as a result you get what you saw. It's kinda silly to fire a guy over that, if he did nothing wrong in the past, if he's doing the rest of his job fine but reporting it shouldn't be a problem.

Sadly people with jobs like his are easily replaceable so if someone goes to the management and complains they will likely fire him without thinking it trough because they can just hire another random Joe tomorrow and they don't want to lose the fat guy and the lady as customers. So it could be considered a very asshole move to report someone in this situation because the management will not do a lot of looking into it they will just fire the guy.

#105 Edited by Intro (1206 posts) -

I'll agree that wasn't right and wouldn't have pity for him if he did get fired. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to get him fired. I'll let the company go ahead and deal with their employees. Now I would feel sorry for the guy who cried and would go stick up for him, but I'm not fighting with managers or corporate about something like this. I don't like arguing with people at their jobs.

#106 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

@aterons: Honestly, I've never seen someone get fired over something that was a single instance. You usually get at least two strikes before they can you. Something tells me this was not the first complaint this particular trainer has had levelled against him.

#107 Posted by troll93 (386 posts) -

It depends on the workplace. When I was working at a landscaping company, being a professional was not a very high requirement, but now that I am working at a engineering company, if someone is not being a professional, that very significantly affects the rest of us, so in this case, yeah I would rat them out to the higher ups, or if I am the higher up call them on their shit.

#108 Posted by Quarters (1628 posts) -

For the topic at hand, I would confront the person about their behavior first. But I wouldn't just go and immediately punk him out to the manager and throw a fit until he was fired. It's better on focusing on doing your own job as best you can. Everything else will sort itself out.

As for the situation with the gym as illustrated in the OP, I feel like a lot of people are making assumptions about that entire situation. You(and by that I mean everyone in the topic, not necessarily the OP) have no idea what the relationship was between the trainer and the trainee, and what type of stuff they've been through in the last few months. While yes, I agree that the trainer was definitely out of line and I would never encourage reacting like that, I feel a lot of white knighting is going on without knowing what the trainee was potentially doing to provoke such a reaction. And yes, the guy should be able to stand up for himself, regardless of his build. You don't have to be a jerk back about it, but you can't always rely on other people to fix problems for you. If your trainer's being a douche, that's something you have to take care of.

But yeah, that being said, I can't even talk that much about it, because I just don't feel we have enough information to judge in this case. All I can say is that I don't think it's the best course of action to immediately go to management. If I were the girls(or whoever), I would just confront the guy and tell him to chill. If he 'roids out and goes off the deep end, then find higher help.

#109 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2916 posts) -

Depends.

#110 Posted by Karkarov (2980 posts) -

It depends on what you mean by being unprofessional. The guy was being harsh there, maybe too harsh. But maybe being hard on the guy was what he felt was needed to motivate him to work harder? So in that situation, no, I would not have done anything other than filed it in my mind and kept an eye out. If it escalated or I saw it happen multiple times and it clearly wasn't productive.... then yeah maybe I would say something to the powers that be. That said if I saw someone goofing off at work would I try to get them canned? No. If I saw the same person try to say steal merchandise.... yes I would try to get them nailed.

#111 Edited by YummyTreeSap (305 posts) -

Being a "motivator" is no excuse for verbal abuse.

#112 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

@winsord said:

@oursin_360 said:

@giantstalker said:

We have a zero-tolerance policy on drugs in the Canadian Forces, and three of us ended a roommate's career in the army by telling the military police he possessed marijuana in his truck.

They found it and the guy got busted, but I still don't know how I feel about it. When it came to actual soldiering he was competent. The guy was a veteran and was probably having a rougher time coping with his troubles post-tour, which explains why he was using it. But it's still a blatant contradiction of the code of service discipline, and us knowing without telling anyone was itself a crime under that code.

No offense, but that's just lame. Not like he was smoking crack or shooting heroin, every job has a zero drug policy man stop snitching. Unless he was getting high on the job and putting peoples lives at risk, why would anybody honestly care if he smoked a joint after work? No worse than having a few beers honestly.

Your view on drugs isn't relevant here; it's a criticism of the CAF, not of the character of the three bystanders. The big problem is that one guy put all of them at risk of getting into a lot of trouble for his decision (it wouldn't be a big deal normally, but unsurprisingly enough the army takes the law very seriously). He knew the rules, he chose to break them, and he put the other guys at risk as a result, thanks to his self-indulgence. So unless you meant to say that the Canadian Government's view of and legislation on the substance is 'lame', I disagree entirely. While the rule that got him into trouble in the first place is dumb, it was still a pretty selfish thing to do.

So how exactly would they ever get linked to him? Realistically there isn't a fucking chance.

Ending someones career over not wanting to take the smallest amount of risk imaginable is incomprehensible to me. It's just so fucking selfish and just plain nasty in my opinion. I really find it hard to understand how people will stick to rules to cover their own arse, instead of using common sense and rational thinking. Not only that, they honestly believe they have done nothing morally wrong.

Hopefully I'm just being a dick and looking at it from a negative point of view. But after reading giantstalker's post over and over. I see no inferred negligence or incompetence on the soldier in question, just a single arbitrary rule had been broken. And for that he was willing to end a persons career. Crazy imo. Good thing there is rules to prevent people from having to think about grey areas. They can look up the rule and decide if the grey is indeed black or white, no moral or personal responsibility needed.

#113 Posted by Whitestripes09 (399 posts) -

The trainer is providing a service as a trainer / instructor. It should be common sense that if a customer isn't doing the workout routinely then at the very least he should just ignore him or as someone who actually cares about their profession to motivate him to do it in the first place. Thank god brosideon got fired though. Maybe that will cool down the testosterone levels in him.

#114 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

It depends, anyone has its bad days sometimes and can be very unprofessional, I would give that guy a second chance. And those women, it's none of their business although they wanted to defend the weak man; even if that man is fat, that fat on him doesn't make him any special from the others. I am against bullying, but a grown up man crying like that it's pathetic.

#115 Edited by Jeust (10473 posts) -

I wouldn't get the person being unprofessional fired, but I would go as far as teach them a lesson if they transgress in what I consider right, if I could.

#116 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

@apocalybra said:

It depends, anyone has its bad days sometimes and can be very unprofessional, I would give that guy a second chance. And those women, it's none of their business although they wanted to defend the weak man; even if that man is fat, that fat on him doesn't make him any special from the others. I am against bullying, but a grown up man crying like that it's pathetic.

An adult who is a personal trainer resorting to name calling and belittling is more pathetic.

#117 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@haffy said:

So how exactly would they ever get linked to him? Realistically there isn't a fucking chance.

Ending someones career over not wanting to take the smallest amount of risk imaginable is incomprehensible to me. It's just so fucking selfish and just plain nasty in my opinion. I really find it hard to understand how people will stick to rules to cover their own arse, instead of using common sense and rational thinking. Not only that, they honestly believe they have done nothing morally wrong.

So it is selfish of them and they're not using common sense and rational thinking in this situation? It is selfish of the roommate to involve them at all, even if it is just them knowing of the fact. The could have lost their careers as well if the roommate was ever figured out and found out they knew about it, so it is hardly a "small risk" they're taking by not informing someone. He is not just risking his own job, he is risking others when it comes to his irresponsibility and maybe he should have taken that into account. It is not if the roommate did not know or understand the rules here.

Whether you agree with the rule or not is irrelevant, whether you find what they did "morally" wrong is also because the roommate knew the rules and the consequences and it was selfish of him to possibly risk other peoples careers.

#118 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

@sanious said:

An adult who is a personal trainer resorting to name calling and belittling is more pathetic.

If that guy was keep coming there and was not losing weight at all, then I don't blame the trainer (he still was unprofessional) if that was a real waste of time and maybe even a waste of money (who knows what kind of gym it is), don't matter if the fat guy was paying and that was his problem. As I said, people have their bad days, but it is still more pathetic when a grown man is crying because of that.

#119 Posted by HISCORE (8 posts) -

Snitches get stitches. Bide your time, there's a reason god made parking lots.