• 111 results
#1 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

What would you be doing right now?

#2 Posted by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

Not replying to this thread

#3 Posted by SAC (117 posts) -

Breathing. Eating. Drinking. Pissing. Shitting.... All at once.

#4 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

id be at work. we're busy this week and if i didn't turn up id be letting people down.

#5 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Trying to get Shogun 2 to let me scroll right without my mouse pointer going onto my second monitor, FFS

#6 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1041 posts) -

I ques I would be falling trough earth faster than speed of light.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2795 posts) -

why would it matter if all religion was "proven wrong" ?

#8 Posted by Jwkokosmakroon (158 posts) -

Assert my authority! :P

#9 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Laws and religion don't prevent me from being a jackass, so I guess the exact same thing.

#10 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

It will be hell on earth.

#11 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

Slamball. I'd bring it back.

#12 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

I'd hopefully be doing exactly what I'm doing now, unless I had to instead be fighting the hooligans from my doorstep! I'm not religious anyway and I like to think I'm a pretty good person without being told to be one! So yeah, hopefully things would remain the same.

#13 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Pretty much what I, and most other people am already doing. Laws are just a secular and more modern version of religion; both are just projections of human morality. If they were gone, our common sense and decency still remain (and probably the first thing we'd do is rebuild a legal code so we'd have a common interface to share that morality). 

#14 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -

Grab an axe and start working my way down the list, I guess...

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

I'm an atheist and I don't really follow laws just because they're laws, most of the seem common sense afterall. I try to live by the one commandment of 'Try not to be a dick', and it seems to be working out so far.

I guess if anything I'd probably be driving faster than I am now, but that's probably it.

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

The Order of the Hand shall rule! The animals of the Zoo Guy Danny Usher will sustain us!!

#17 Posted by DeF (4975 posts) -

@NTM said:

What would you be doing right now?

I'd be trying to climb in through your window to assassinate you for funzies. Or sleep.

#18 Posted by ProfessorK (829 posts) -

Buy a hooker, try every drug, punch a chick, and shit in a brown paper bag and chuck it out the window. Wait, you say I can do all these already? Nevermind then, I'll just read a book.

#19 Posted by SAC (117 posts) -

All religion has already been proven wrong though....

#20 Edited by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

I ques I would be falling trough earth faster than speed of light.

i see what you did there

@Zacagawea said:

Not replying to this thread

failed

#21 Edited by BadOrcLDR (178 posts) -

Well, I suppose I would be somewhat happier. At least then I could stop hearing all of these pseudo intellectual arguments between two otherwise jaded, biased-as-all-fuck sides.

Then again, I'm a Buddhist. I strive for peace, and by peace I mean less bullshit I have to hear about in the mornings before I head off to class.

#22 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@SAC said:

Seems legit.

#23 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

The same thing I'm doing right now.

#24 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I'd be blasting Power from a boombox while moonwalking down the street with a backwards cap and some sweet shoes.

Oh wait, I already do that. /toocool4skool.

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@SAC said:

oh look, its "that guy". overly smug atheist away!

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I guess attempting to collect together weapons to defend myself against the unchecked criminals roaming the streets. I wouldn't just start running around being a dick because there were no religions or laws though.

#27 Posted by SAC (117 posts) -

@Clonedzero: i'm being facetious.... although, yeah, i do believe that religion has been irrelevant (not proven wrong) for a while.

#28 Edited by theguy (797 posts) -

I'd probably be doing the same thing I'm doing. Also I see this turning into a religious debate. And of course by "debate" I mean retarded shitstorm.

EDIT: Actually also I'd be preparing to defend myself from the dickheads who'd take advantage of the absence of law.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

There's really no way that religion would be proven wrong unless we were super technologically advanced that we could bring people back from the dead or whatever.

#30 Posted by EthanielRain (926 posts) -

I'd be doing the same things I'm doing now...although I might be high, being able to buy drugs over the counter and all.

#31 Posted by Jazz (2315 posts) -

If there were no laws I would be out of the job..so...err...painting?

#32 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

This question can actually be way deeper than anyone in this thread has taken it... but I don't care to spend the time taking it in that direction right now.

#33 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Kill everyone.

#34 Posted by RaceKickfist (206 posts) -

My faith is pretty core to who I am, and is essentially the only thing that has kept me going. To find it "proven wrong" isn't so much an exercise in thinking of "what am I free to do, now that I am released from the shackles of religious indoctrination" as it is a contemplation of what I would do (me, personally) with the information that there is no right or wrong, no purpose for my being, and the fact that I'm a cosmic accident. Some may be able to prosper and thrive in a world where that is the definition of life, but I don't think I would, or could.

Interesting question, OP.

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

Wait a minute the OP is actually saying what if nothing is true, and everything is permitted.

I'd touch people's shoulders as I walked through crowds.

#36 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

I'd probably be having some kind of mental breakdown over my lack of purpose in life.

#37 Posted by Aetheldod (3711 posts) -

Ploughing and killing must likely

#38 Posted by yinstarrunner (1240 posts) -

I'd probably help make new laws.

#39 Edited by Jeust (10855 posts) -

I would be revolving within myself. Creating and destroying myself.

There have to be laws as people are too chaotic to maintain balance without them.

#40 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@Geno said:

Pretty much what I, and most other people am already doing. Laws are just a secular and more modern version of religion; both are just projections of human morality. If they were gone, our common sense and decency still remain (and probably the first thing we'd do is rebuild a legal code so we'd have a common interface to share that morality).

What this guy said.

Also, I tend to veer towards nihilism w/r/t "the meaning of life" and any kind of normative morality. I think it's more or less a construct that we're constantly building around us to keep that nihilism from overwhelming one's self. So I guess I already live in the world OP is describing.

#41 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

Hmmm, complete chaos and anarchy... I can't imagine what would happen. People would start killing each other over most trivial things... the world as we knew it would be destroyed... I'd play video games.

#42 Posted by xCharlieSheen (75 posts) -

@SAC: That's correct; you silly little monkey.

#43 Posted by alexl86 (634 posts) -

Even in a "lawless" society, there are social norms and I imagine there would still be people punishing murderers, thieves and other people deemed dangerous.

As an atheist, I don't live by values that are strictly religious, so I'd be more worried about how my neighbours with completely altered realities would react and worry more about how I would live differently. 

No scientific laws? It's all relative, and since there's nothing that is relative, then there is nothing. Everything would just seize to exist, I guess.

#44 Edited by Jeust (10855 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Geno said:

What this guy said.

Also, I tend to veer towards nihilism w/r/t "the meaning of life" and any kind of normative morality. I think it's more or less a construct that we're constantly building around us to keep that nihilism from overwhelming one's self. So I guess I already live in the world OP is describing.

Would that be it? Would we reall rebuild a legal code, or give in to our selfishness, and make the world throughly more chaotic and violent?

Nihilism is interesting, because it is a natural thorn on a person's system of beliefs, as most of them are shallow enough, just constructs, like you said, to steer us away from nihilism and our fear of it. But i think nihilism is not the meaning of life. If you take away the concept of "meaning" from "meaning of life", you just get the idea of "life", and that to me is its true meaning. Living, as we want to live. Of course there are fears and a a whole sort of personal constructs to limit us in living and take the enjoyment out of it, but to me the main goal of living is experiencing live.

#45 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Geno said:

What this guy said.

Would that be it? Would we reall rebuild a legal code, or give in to our selfishness, and make the world throughly more chaotic and violent?

Nihilism is interesting, because it is a natural thorn on a person's system of beliefs, as most of them are shallow enough, just constructs, like you said, to steer us away from nihilism and our fear of it. But i think nihilism is not the meaning of life. If you take away the concept of "meaning" from "meaning of life", you just get the idea of "life", and that to me is its true meaning. Living, as we want to live. Of course there are fears and a a whole sort of personal constructs to limit us in living and take the enjoyment out of it, but to me the main goal of living is experiencing live.

Well, I think we're probably in agreement here but saying it differently. For me, nihilism was/is an inescapable part of our own nature as humans due to the belief systems we've created (the purpose of life being something we've generated on our own and has subsequently caused such systems). I wouldn't say nihilism is the meaning of life because I don't think there is one. It's not so much that we can remain purely at nihilism either. That's always the constant threat of it, though: that when the world is pulled away and when "God is dead," we will be so unsettled existentially that we will choose to remain in the cave with His shadows. The task, then, is to push through that nihilism. To each, personally, move through the other side of that and embrace a worldview in which we are establishing our own place in life and where "at long last the horizon appears free to us again, even if it should not be bright." There is no meaning to life, there's, as you say, just life.

And that's just fine.

EDIT: Obviously, this is a crazy bracketed and short summary of a much longer and more in depth world-view I have that I don't really want to flood a video game website with. I have plenty of papers I could just copy+paste if that was the case. Ha. I will also readily admit that no such view is concrete (I don't think anyone should assume totalities), and it's something I'm still very much working through.

#46 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

I'D BE GOING FUCKING CRAZY

Actually, no I wouldn't. I'd be trying to establish some sort of rule of law as I'm sure many others would be also. The religion part would be nice, but it wouldn't change my disposition as a person.

#47 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

as far as I know you can't disprove a religion but... 

just for the sake of answering your question: I would stay home and lock all my doors, because I'm sure the situation outside would be complete chaos. 

#48 Posted by shakafo00o (20 posts) -

Sounds a bit like the old West.

I'd do the same, just go everywhere with a gun now.

#49 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

I'd be thinking "Awesome, two more useless hierarchies bite the dust". Then I'd get high, do some yard farming, wave at my neighbors, and love my life.

#50 Posted by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

If I could fly and shoot lasers from my eyes...