#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I bring my iPhone into the Gym to listen to podcasts and music, I just found out that its against the rules to bring a mobile phone into the gym. Nobody has said anything yet but no staff member has really seen me with it though, so I was thinking of getting an iPod Shuffle. Its the low end iPod but is small, stylish and is pretty darn cheap. It's about 2GB which means it won't be able to hold as many songs as my iPhone, but just for the gym I don't know it might be a good idea.

#3 Posted by JacDG (2128 posts) -

That is a weird rule, I would assume it would mean "don't take pictures of naked dudes, dudes working out, people you don't know and don't be an A hole and talk loudly in it", and that if you just use it for music and leave it in your pocket you'd be fine, but if it's so cheap you might almost as well.

#5 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

if you have a use for both the yeah. if not then no.

#6 Posted by Barrock (3552 posts) -

In my opinion, no. I just use my phone for all my music needs. Love Spotify.

#7 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -

Ipod Touches also have cameras so if that's the reason stuff is banned, then that's not going to be much different. Still, even though you're thinking of an ipod shuffle, I don't know if getting yet another device in the right answer. I would just keep rolling on as usual till they say otherwise.

#8 Posted by Bollard (5756 posts) -

No, and stop wasting money.

#9 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (395 posts) -

Yes, but for your situation it's a no no.

#10 Posted by MonetaryDread (2135 posts) -

Unltimately you don't need to buy a new player, the only reason why I recommend you do is because you can get better sound than an Iphone / Ipod. If you do buy a new player though, go for a Sony NWZ line of mp3 player (less money than a nano and has a better DSP (device that converts 1's and 0's into something that sounds pleasant), plus a parametric EQ that will give you the ability to fine tune the sound going to your headphones (ie. listening to a rock song on headphones with too much bass) or a Sanza Clip+. The Sanza doesn't quite have the sound quality of the Sony mp3 player, but you can install Rockbox (a custom firmware) and that gives you every option you could possibly want in an mp3 player for $30 (the device is only 4gig but it comes with a micro-SD card slot).

#11 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Not in your situation, no, but personally, there's no phone that can hold my 100+ GB of music. So I like having the 160GB iPod.

#12 Posted by RazielCuts (2982 posts) -

It's probably because they don't want a gym full of people on the phone 'hanging out' disturbing other people, if they say anything just put it to airplane mode to show them you can't call anyone and you're only using it to listen to music.

#13 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

In my opinion yes. Im not making my phone a music player.......

#14 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

If you ever get caught, just tell them you stopped paying for the phone part and you're just using it as a music/netflix device now.

#15 Posted by believer258 (12100 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

Unltimately you don't need to buy a new player, the only reason why I recommend you do is because you can get better sound than an Iphone / Ipod. If you do buy a new player though, go for a Sony NWZ line of mp3 player (less money than a nano and has a better DSP (device that converts 1's and 0's into something that sounds pleasant), plus a parametric EQ that will give you the ability to fine tune the sound going to your headphones (ie. listening to a rock song on headphones with too much bass) or a Sanza Clip+. The Sanza doesn't quite have the sound quality of the Sony mp3 player, but you can install Rockbox (a custom firmware) and that gives you every option you could possibly want in an mp3 player for $30 (the device is only 4gig but it comes with a micro-SD card slot).

I've had two of those Sony's. They sound fantastic, yes, but they can't stand up to me keeping it in my pocket all the time. Six months, then both were starting to fall apart.

#16 Posted by thebatmobile (983 posts) -

If you need more space than a iPhone has, then yes. In other words, if you like music.

iPod Classic, hell yeah!

#17 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

I couldn't survive without at least an 80GB MP3 player.

#18 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I very much doubt any of the gym staff would actually bring up using a phone in they're gym even if it was against the rules as long as your phone is on silent, i wouldn't get one just for that reason.

My Ipod Classic has just died and now ive just down/upgraded? to a Ipod Nano, its 16GB which is just enough to hold my podcast's and music after i got rid of the stuff i didn't actually listen to realisticly, although i know some people dislike using a phone as a music player so if you can get a low memory ipod for the cheap then i see reason enough to justify it even if it is kind of a silly reason.

#19 Posted by cheapandtacky (130 posts) -

If you need something smaller for the gym get a compact player, otherwise just put the phone on airplane mode /silent and I'm sure no one will care.

On a related note the Sony NWZ range are excellent.

#20 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Just tell them it's an ipod touch

#21 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I still use my iPod because I have 90 GB of music and audiobooks. I also use it in my car all the time and the iPhone sucks for that because of no tactile buttons and shitty battery life.

#22 Posted by AimeBlockless (3 posts) -

In having the best views to create a perfect creations to make enjoyment and earn new knowledge that they will have a good instincts.

#23 Posted by niamahai (1407 posts) -

Complete the cycle..... be an Apple whore.

#24 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@iGooner7 said:

In my opinion yes. Im not making my phone a music player.......

why not.

#25 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

@Bell_End: Cause these phone companies are giving us smart phones with dumb battries. Lets save some Battery atleast

#26 Posted by Ixaan (25 posts) -

I used to carry my phone and an ipod touch everywhere. I only really listen to music or podcasts while I'm driving and with the touch I tended to hit the skip button rather than pause, or accidentally scrub the timeline and completely loose my place in podcasts. In the car I would have to actually look at the device to make sure I was hitting the right things, distracting me from driving. I sold my touch and got a classic instead, making everything way easier because I can just use the physical buttons. Thats my reasoning for carrying both. Physical buttons can be used without needing to look at the device.