#1 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

If from tomorrow on you had absolute certainty there is no afterlife would you continue to behave exactly as you do now?

• No reincarnation
  • No afterlife
  • No lingering spirits or any form of awareness
  • Absolutely zero repercussion or consequence
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, yea. Why would that change me?

#3 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

I don't believe in that shit anyway. Why would I change my actions because the most likely event is going to happen in the end?

#4 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

You should rephrase your question, because it makes no sense.

Jail and morals exist during life, so unless you include those as also being none existent then I don't see why anyone should change how they act.

#5 Posted by SlashDance (1813 posts) -

I already don't believe in the afterlife so yes.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

well if I had absolute certainty I'd probably be a lot smarter than I am right now so I'd probably be some sort of awesome scientist or somethin

#7 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

Jail and morals exist during life, so unless you include those as also being none existent then I don't see why anyone should change how they act.

I can consider (hypotheticly) that killing my wife and running off with the insurance money is worth the risk of 15 years jail, Now if the risk is 15 years prison and "eternal damnation" that really tips the scale even when you take the jail time entirely out of the equation.

Personally i would feel allot more inclined to take risks that would cross morals. perhaps invest some money in a sound isolated basement in a remote location and see where it goes from there. afteraal, if the only thing that matters is your life now. why not fulfill every curiosity and fantasy you might have or whatever you consider living life to its fullest.

If there is no afterlife than all that morals are are just rules imposed onto you by your fellow man.

#8 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

@Questionable said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

I can consider (hypotheticly) that killing my wife and running off with the insurance money is worth the risk of 15 years jail,

Now if the risk is 15 years prison and "eternal damnation" that really tips the scale even when you take the jail time entirely out of the equation.

what? ok so we are supposed to pretend we are terrible people or something?

#9 Edited by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Well, yea. Why would that change me?

E: I feel I must add I already don't believe in that shit, so this is how I act anyway.

#10 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

I probably would but seeing as I'm currently Agnostic I'm not really sure what to believe. I'm only 20 I've got plenty of time to make up my mind but part of me just can't help feeling that there could be life after death, regardless of all the facts.

#11 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I don't act in fear of repercussions. I am who I am regardless.

#12 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I don't believe in a afterlife of any sort, so no it wouldn't change how I acted in the slightest.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

My morals don't come from a religion or laws (not that there's anything wrong with that), they come from a desire I have for people to look at me as if I am their own personal Mr. Miyagi. So I would act exactly the same.

#14 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

Make a 50 gallons of sourdough bread, but nothing would really change for me.

#15 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

It probably would not change me (or most people really).

In a overarching general sense, I think most people are basically "good". And day-to-day morale expectations basically came about so that people can get along with each other without being personally familiar. The sense of fairness and anticipation of return treatment, for the (minority) with zero altruism should be more than enough to ensure that.

#16 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

@Questionable said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

I can consider (hypotheticly) that killing my wife and running off with the insurance money is worth the risk of 15 years jail,

Now if the risk is 15 years prison and "eternal damnation" that really tips the scale even when you take the jail time entirely out of the equation.

Oh no, just that whatever you decide within life is all you will ever have. Morals are a representation of the times. go back some years and a nobleman could knock of a farmers head for giving him a wrong look. You do what you believe is right because you are told to do so. You want to leave behind a better place for your children or want to leave life with a sense of accomplishment all is fair.

One could also think that some things in life are worth risking your life for, take a gamble and taste some of lifes forbidden pleasures.

#17 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I wouldn't change at all most likely.

#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

So if I change aboslutely nothing with my view on life, will that change me?

No.

#19 Edited by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Well, I already don't believe in an afterlife as I've seen no evidence or logical reason to do so, so I wouldn't behave any differently, apart from the fact that I'd urgently want to present my proof of no afterlife to scientists.

#20 Posted by OtakuGamer (1227 posts) -

@Questionable said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

I can consider (hypotheticly) that killing my wife and running off with the insurance money is worth the risk of 15 years jail, Now if the risk is 15 years prison and "eternal damnation" that really tips the scale even when you take the jail time entirely out of the equation.

Personally i would feel allot more inclined to take risks that would cross morals. perhaps invest some money in a sound isolated basement in a remote location and see where it goes from there. afteraal, if the only thing that matters is your life now. why not fulfill every curiosity and fantasy you might have or whatever you consider living life to its fullest.

If there is no afterlife than all that morals are are just rules imposed onto you by your fellow man.

If there wasn't an afterlife, wouldn't you be more inclined to not take risks? Wouldn’t you make sure that your life was fulfilling and not wasted by imprisonment or death? I never really understood the phrase “you only live once” because if you only live once, why waste it?

#21 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

I'm not entirely sure why people who have faith believe that the fear of god is what stops humanity turning on itself. There's a lot of atheists out there guys, and we're a peaceful bunch. Everyones entitled to their opinion, and I couldn't live somewhere that persecutes people for being religious, or for not being religious. However, there is no evidence at all for an after life. There is in fact a huge amount of evidence that suggests there is no after life. This is what I know, and it doesn't mean I go out killing and mugging. Having said that... Tonight's the night. Nice night.

#22 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

I have never considered the afterlife in any of my actions, so I wouldn't change a thing.

#23 Posted by Phasen (4 posts) -

The only thing keeping you from killing your wife for money is Santa for adults? I'd say your morals are questionable.

#24 Posted by Spuirrel (84 posts) -

Yes, since I am already really fucking certain.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9787 posts) -

There is no afterlife. So no, I wouldn't.

#26 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I already do, and I haven't raped anyone. Yet.

#27 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

For the most part, people who do believe in an afterlife are smart enough not to participate in threads like these.

#28 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

If being judged after death is the only thing that prevents you from doing shitty things, you are already a shitty person.

#29 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel said:

If being judged after death is the only thing that prevents you from doing shitty things, you are already a shitty person.

This pretty much

#30 Posted by Abendlaender (2781 posts) -

Why should I behave different?

It's not like I'm having a burning desire to kill people and drink from their heads but I don't do it cause I'm afraid of the devil

#31 Posted by Octaslash (500 posts) -

I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep as well at night if I didn't believe in heaven. On the other hand, I'd also sleep better if I didn't believe in hell. I suppose nothing would really change.

#32 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

@Questionable said:

Oh no, just that whatever you decide within life is all you will ever have. Morals are a representation of the times. go back some years and a nobleman could knock of a farmers head for giving him a wrong look. You do what you believe is right because you are told to do so. You want to leave behind a better place for your children or want to leave life with a sense of accomplishment all is fair.

One could also think that some things in life are worth risking your life for, take a gamble and taste some of lifes forbidden pleasures.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, lots of people did and DO terrible things and get away with it. Morals can be a part of the society around you but they should never become some sick excuse like you're implying. Wrong is wrong, hurting others is about as universal as you can get as far as 'things not to do'. Doing wrong is not some 'forbidden' fruit... it's just really cruel and wrong, and if you think even for a second that 'if you could, you would' you're dancing on the line of being a disgusting human being.

@Catarrhal said:

For the most part, people who do believe in an afterlife are smart enough not to participate in threads like these.

Boredom can cure a lot of 'smart' maneuvers for someone sitting in front of a computer :)

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Finding out that none of that exists would be more a relief than anything. I wouldn't wreck my brain worrying about such trivial things and I would be able to focus more on enjoying what little bit of life I had left.

#34 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

@OtakuGamer said:

If there wasn't an afterlife, wouldn't you be more inclined to not take risks? Wouldn’t you make sure that your life was fulfilling and not wasted by imprisonment or death? I never really understood the phrase “you only live once” because if you only live once, why waste it?

There is no right or wrong way to the topic, everyone will have their own personal view.

If there is no afterlife then i also consider my life insignificant. i m not some scientist that is helping humanity advance to the next level. My current GF while i can safely say most of current my world revolves entirely about her, 2 years ago she had never even met me. yet in the grand scheme of things it matters nothing, my life can be extinguished at any moment and the world will still keep turning. there wil still be a million people to take your place.

So in a world where nothing matters in the absolute sense i see little reason to chain oneself by morals.

You will always have laws and social repercussions during life. throw litter in the street and you can be called a jerk those are the rules by which we play but morals in the absolute sense i do not personally believe in or go out of my way to actively impose on others. too much of those are dependent on uncertain factors

Based on the times and country one lives in they can mean entirely different things. keeping this in relativity i choose to live life my own way. As a sign of my background i don't believe in harming others. had i grown up on the other side of the globe i might have been a zealous religious fanatic beheading any infidel whose beliefs oppose mine or allow a cripple person to die on the street because its not my problem. These are not farfetched examples but things that take place in our world today. had fate decided otherwise you and me could have been within those examples.

In the end morals are just that, rules imposed by our surroundings. ever changing and never the same for 2 people

#35 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

I do what I think is right because I think it's right, not because I'm afraid of the existence of God.

#36 Edited by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

@Questionable said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

@Questionable said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

So you're asking if the knowledge that there is no afterlife would turn us all into sociopaths?

#37 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Yes I would. I would burn orphanages down and kill Bambi in front of his mother this time all while screaming Happy Birthday at the top of my lungs.

#38 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

I already don't believe in the afterlife so yes.

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

I don't believe in any of it anyway, so yes.

#40 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

@Questionable: Most of your points are disregarding the in betweens, which are massive. Why don't I think my life is insignificant? Well for one I'd like to ask you why you think you're life is significant, and to what end? Isn't it extremely narcissistic to assume you're life has 'some' meaning? Life has meaning, but not towards anything you can read about in a book. You sound like every friend I've ever talked to who was chemically imbalanced and medicated as to not commit suicide. I can't explain to you why I don't think of these dumb things, or why they don't occur in my head.

Your scenario is my life, you're question of if someone doesn't believe in an afterlife... that's me (and many others) and we are FINE, we are very very fine. Why don't I feel like I'm insignificant? Iunno... I tend to think almost exclusively about other things rather than my purpose in life, because that's a pointless and dumb way of evaluating ones life. The only time you should be allowed to think this way is on your death bed, when you think over your life and realise all the others you helped and made happy... that's literally all you can or should be hoping for and that should be more than enough to keep you from feeling sad, otherwise seek some medical help to balance your head.

#41 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I'd be the same, i wouldn't want to take risks and make the rest of my life harder or worst off, since my life is already not based on doing stuff in 'The Afterlife' it wouldn't change how i already live my life.

I'm happy with how things are going for me now, i don;t feel the need to do crazy stuff to feel fulfilled, my life is perfect as it is, its enough for some, not all though.

#42 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

So you're asking if the knowledge that there is no life would turn us all into sociopaths?

Why yes, that could be a excessively simplified option but sure.

Look at Anders Breivik, a pretty recently created "Monster". I believe he is sane. He may have some crazy conspiracy theory's cooked up but at the end of the day he was a man who decided his beliefs were worth dieing for. His end goal which was to stir up the world and make people aware of his manifesto was for him personally worth forfeiting his life for.

• I believe everyone has a value to his life, be it in money, experience or just being able to leave footprint om the earth you walked on.
    I could have gone for suicide bombers just as easily. Those people choose to pay the price of theyr lifes for the sake of pretecting theyr cultures.
  • People in Tibet are setting themselves on fire for those very same reasons.
  • Yet others take their life just because it is boring, unfulfilling or just very hard,

I can not judge for anyone what their life is worth except my own and deciding on where you stand in life some risks are worth more than others.

#43 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

@M_Shini: I'd like my life to be more eventful, but that's kinda a running desire not based on anything related in this thread. Eventful also doesn't require anything terrible either... maybe just a few more concerts every month and maybe the ability to make friends a bit easier etc. Going out and acquiring friends is hard! :) Feel like I should have befriended everyone when I was going through school cause it was so easy back then, compared to now where everyone doesn't wanna talk to anyone else out in the world.

#44 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

@Questionable: Breivik was not "created." What he did was abhorrent regardless of his motivations and influences.

#45 Posted by Lysergica33 (521 posts) -

I would probably act pretty much the same way. Maybe I'd bugger off on holiday a bit more often, but otherwise I can't see that much would change.

#46 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Ironically enough, most people don't follow religion religiously anymore. Most of us are just like you. Take away the thought of an afterlife and all you have is most of us at home watching Sunday football instead of being at church.

#47 Posted by Iodine (545 posts) -

I would start eating babies and riding walrus's to school and work

Actually I would still act the same, and would probably be a bit happier

#48 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Questionable: Breivik was not "created." What he did was abhorrent regardless of his motivations and influences.

I chose the word created because in the end its still a matter of perspective. Our perspective now is that we now know he has killed over 70 civilians.

Lets say we set back the clock 2 years and you were his neighbor, barber perhaps the grocery store owner he frequents. would you have been able to imagine using those words to describe him?

The moment Anders made his move in July 2011 was the moment Breivik the monster as the world knows him was created. He may still be the same personon the inside but our perception of that man has changed irrevirsibly.

Our perspective is never a constant but ever changing and never the same for two people. A high schooler might sell her body for a pair of gucci boots and another for a loaf of bread. who are we to say what is the moral right or wrong other than those people themselves?

#49 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

It would change nothing for me personally but i think the world would be better for it.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

@Questionable said:

@Hailinel said:

I chose the word created because in the end its still a matter of perspective. Our perspective now is that we now know he has killed over 70 civilians.

Lets say we set back the clock 2 years and you were his neighbor, barber perhaps the grocery store owner he frequents. would you have been able to imagine using those words to describe him?

The moment Anders made his move in July 2011 was the moment Breivik the monster as the world knows him was created. He may still be the same person but our perception of that man has changed.

Our perspective is never a constant but ever changing and never the same for two people. A high schooler might sell her body for a pair of gucci boots and another for a loaf of bread. who are we to say what is the moral right or wrong other than those people themselves?

I do not know him personally. I have no idea what he was like two years ago, let alone five, or twenty. Such theoretical arguments are completely idiotic because it asks me to speculate on a subject set in the past over which I have no control, no knowledge, and no reasonable means to assume that any action I take on my part would cause events to play out differently. What ultimately matters and what defines him in the minds of everyone that knows of him is that he murdered dozens of people. Whether he was sane at the time or not, it doesn't matter. He ended the lives of others, and whether or not you believe in the concept of an afterlife of any sort or not, if you don't have the capacity to understand how utterly terrible that is, then there is more than likely something wrong with you.