#201 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

Is it odd that I think almost the opposite holds true? If I knew that things would last forever I'd be more inclined to act like a dick. Existence being as short as it is means we have to make the best of every moment to make it count, if we exist forever each individual moment means less.

#202 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1545 posts) -

I am certain there is no afterlife, and yes, I still behave the way I do.

#203 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

I am certain there is no afterlife, and yes, I still behave the way I do.

inb4 you get trashed for being an over confident atheist lol.

#204 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Questions like this scare me, because if I'm not mistaken, it means that the only thing stopping certain people from being a horrible fucking human stain, is something I don't even think exists. It truly makes me worry for my safety when this sentiment is expressed.

Not that it wouldn't make you horrendous scum anyway; you'd just happen to be suppressing that side of you.

#205 Edited by handlas (2659 posts) -

Yeaaa... when you are dead you are dead. Nothing more will happen to you. This is my belief and I'm very set in that belief unless something proves otherwise.

I am still a moral person. Where I live you are looked down upon if you don't go to church. Kinda sucks when I have (imo) a higher moral standard then some of these people. Never done drugs, don't steal, I feel like crap if I lie, I don't even kill bugs I find in my house and instead put them back outside cause why do it? (yes maybe a little extreme here)... these sort of things.

#206 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

I don't really understand why people would behave differently (unless, of course, they're hardcore Christians).

#207 Posted by Pezen (1562 posts) -

Considering the physical bond to our mental state and how our actions can impact that, I find the notion of my "self" living past my physical body to be pretty ridiculous. So.. I would be (I am) the same.

#208 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

I'd pretty much live life the same way as I do right now, except with more cheese.

#209 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

guess what OP. turns out there is no hell

Go ahead and kill your wife.

#210 Edited by BlindRapture (106 posts) -

If you need religion and the threat of damnation as a moral compass, you sir, are a sociopath.

I think Penn Jillette said it best when asked as an athiest, what is stopping him from raping and murdering anyone he wants to, he said.

"I have already raped and killed EVERYONE I want to. And the number of people on that list was zero."

#211 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

here's one of the tentmaker pages that talks about hell:

http://www.tentmaker.org/ifhellisreal.htm

"Popular myth: Hell is an established Biblical doctrine that is in the Bible from start to finish. This is not true! Two thirds of the Bible (the Old Testament) do not mention Hell at all. (“Sheol,” the Old Testament word that is sometimes translated as Hell, only means “grave” by definition, and it is where everyone in the Old Testament went when they died--good or evil, Jew or Gentile). Thus the Old Testament does not contain the concept of Hell!"

-

"If Hell is real, why are its roots in paganism, rather than the Bible? Many nations surrounding Israel in the Old Testament believed in Hell-like punishment in the afterlife, for they served bloodthirsty and evil “gods,” while Israel simply taught the grave (sheol) and a hope of a resurrection."

-

This one is just funny:

"FACT: While the church has gotten used to thinking of God as Someone who was forced to design a grandiose punishment called Hell, and against His own will sends the majority of His creation there, this concept of a God "who did the best He could" --lololol

anyway, I think if hell or the concept of everlasting punishment does not exist in the bible, then obviously that rules out of the possibility of hell existing at all.

#212 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Nope.

#213 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Naw, I'd do nothing differently.

#214 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

the problematic thing about the tentmaker website is that it's written for religious people.

3/4th of every page is "god is good and all powerful therefore hell couldnt exist"

it's like waking up and realizing leprechauns couldnt exist, because that conflicts with unicorns existing. And unicorns are DEFINITELY REAL.

#215 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Why did some atheist go and necro this thread? Join your godless brethren out in the world, those women and fields won't pillage and rape themselves!

...or is it the other way around? I can never remember

#216 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

It doesn't exist anyway, just like 99% of the bollocks any religion tells you.

We are pieces of meat, nothing more.

So, no. I wouldn't change if I found out what I already know

#217 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

crap, some religious nut user reviewers are still standing by the existence of hell. They use scripture to back up their arguments. It sounds legit. But some of the arguments include things like "if there is no hell, why follow the lord at all?" and "it cheapens jesus's sacrifice on the cross". Massive facepalm.

But apparently the author is just cherry picking verses that support his view of there being no hell.

Why does everyone have to be so fucking religious. I just want to know whether hell is in the bible or not.

#218 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

I am not 100% certain there is no afterlife, but I already live my life as if there was not an afterlife.

How do I live my life?

Very......very...... carefully.

#219 Edited by andrewspeerschneider (1 posts) -

@questionable: To think that the only reason (most) people don't off their spouses for insurance money is because of fear of hell is insane. Most people don't do that because it would be unfair to another person.

#220 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I've once seen a graphical representation of the chaos theory on my school's computer, as expressed by some imperfect human math. There's a pattern to chaos, and it repeats itself indefinitely. So yeah, I believe in such a thing as an afterlife, in the context of an infinite pandimensional worldview. There are infinite Seppli's, and I am all of them - even if I'm only aware of being one.

Regardless to say. All of this is beyond me, but I do believe nothing ever ends.

#221 Edited by horseman6 (363 posts) -

@brickroad said:

I'm not entirely sure why people who have faith believe that the fear of god is what stops humanity turning on itself. There's a lot of atheists out there guys, and we're a peaceful bunch. Everyones entitled to their opinion, and I couldn't live somewhere that persecutes people for being religious, or for not being religious. However, there is no evidence at all for an after life. There is in fact a huge amount of evidence that suggests there is no after life. This is what I know, and it doesn't mean I go out killing and mugging. Having said that... Tonight's the night. Nice night.

I don't believe that the fear of god prevents humanity from turning on itself. In fact, I believe that many people twist religion in such a way as to do exactly what the bible says not to do. I do however believe that without faith and God, that life is kind of pointless and meaningless.

There is no evidence that there is not an afterlife as you say. Existence itself proves that there is something out there beyond our own comprehension and beyond the scope of science. If science was absolute and unflawed then we shouldn't exist, nothing should exist, our existence doesn't make scientific sense.

#222 Posted by BeachThunder (11699 posts) -

I didn't believe there was an afterlife until this thread returned from the grave.

#223 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

More or less.

#224 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

If from tomorrow on you had absolute certainty there is no afterlife would you continue to behave exactly as you do now?

• No reincarnation
  • No afterlife
  • No lingering spirits or any form of awareness
  • Absolutely zero repercussion or consequence

Yes. And I am absolutely certain there is no such thing as an afterlife.

#225 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

Yeah, of course. I'm a good person because I enjoy bringing joy to other people for no other reason than it brings me joy to do such.

#226 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

I would change a bit. I'm not too religious but I do believe there's a god that hopefully might endow good fortune/miracles for those in need. I'm going through personally issues currently and I do keep the hope that things'll turn right, maybe by help from god.

If non of that existed officially, I'd probably accept reality more, for better or worse, but I also might drop dangerously close to giving up completely.

Not trying to depend on miracles but open to the chance as long as you do your part I guess.

#227 Posted by GiantLizardKing (298 posts) -

Why would the existence or an after life change any decision I make, day to day? Is OP only a decent person because he's afraid of being tormented by a horned red goat man for all of eternity?

#228 Posted by HatKing (5821 posts) -

What's with these old ass threads being bumped by brand new users? And they always seem to be something mildly controversial. I think somebody is trying to spark inner-strife in the Giant Bomb community. *glares over at IGN*

#229 Edited by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

This thread proves there is life after death.

#230 Posted by core1065 (542 posts) -

The better question would be if you knew for sure there was an afterlife. If people knew once they died they went to, I don't know, the fairy realm were they would continue there existence. Peoples behavior would change dramatically.

#231 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

I don't believe in any sort of afterlife so I would just continue as I am. I don't need anything supernatural hanging over my head or the promise of "something better" to treat people with decency and respect. It's common sense and common courtesy. It shouldn't take some sort of mandate or fear of punishment to not be a jerk to others.

#232 Edited by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -
@hatking said:

What's with these old ass threads being bumped by brand new users? And they always seem to be something mildly controversial. I think somebody is trying to spark inner-strife in the Giant Bomb community. *glares over at IGN*

I'd guess that people are doing google searches for controversial topics, see a thread like this, and decide to chime in. Often, it's their only comment on the site, and it simply represents the madness which perpetuates making threads like this everywhere across the Internet.

#233 Posted by Party (74 posts) -

As I am Hindu, I tend to believe that there is some sort of an afterlife. I find it difficult to comprehend not existing in some form or another. What happens when we die? Does our consciousness just vanish? As I sit here typing this, I am very aware that I exist. If I die and there is no afterlife, do I realize I no longer exist? But how can I realize anything if I do not exist? For the sake of everyone's sanity, I prefer not to go down that metaphysical rabbit hole... So I like to believe that there is some sort of afterlife (whether it is heaven, reincarnation, or just staring into the black void for an eternity).

Would I change my life if I knew there was no afterlife? Probably not. I never worry about my current actions holding any weight in the afterlife and I do not act the way I do because of some predisposed fear that I may screw up and affect my chances of enjoying whatever pleasures the afterlife may yield (if any). I find it difficult to relate to people who live their life that way.

#234 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

Yes I would/will as I know that there is no afterlife

#235 Posted by EuanDewar (4758 posts) -

id probably be a bit bummed out about it for a hot minute but id get over it. doubt it would change anything mega

#236 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

no after life? that would be relief for sure but still impossible...i'm christian orthdox but not very religious...everyone must face the results of his actions be it good or bad...it's like dishonored the game every action matters later

#237 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

no after life? that would be relief for sure but still impossible...i'm christian orthdox but not very religious...everyone must face the results of his actions be it good or bad...it's like dishonored the game every action matters later

I just died laughing at this line. You killed me.

Murderer.

#238 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

what's so funny? just giving a gaming example of what happens now, matters later

this is a gaming community right ?

#239 Posted by HatKing (5821 posts) -

@hatking said:

I'd guess that people are doing google searches for controversial topics, see a thread like this, and decide to chime in. Often, it's their only comment on the site, and it simply represents the madness which perpetuates making threads like this everywhere across the Internet.

I heard that theory before, and it blows my mind that somebody would create an account (which is kind of an annoying process on any website) just to say a sentence or two on something that doesn't ultimately matter. Like, I could see it if they had some lengthy ass diatribe that they thought would melt minds, but it's usually just a sentence. Like here, "to think that the only reason (most) people don't off their spouses for insurance money is because of fear of hell is insane. Most people don't do that because it would be unfair to another person." A valid point he makes, but was it worth creating an account for?

The internet's weird, man.

#240 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

I would find the person who came up with Yolo and stab them, otherwise not much else would change.

#241 Posted by AlchemistZer0 (29 posts) -

I can relate to this question, id definitely be different, a lot of decisions I make are guided by fear of retaliation of the big guy upstairs in the form of punishment. I'd be a completely different person I imagine,because anytime I have road the fence of making a devious decision which would benefit me and hurt others I usually choose the road which hurts no one else. In fear that my selfishness will hurt me in the long run. Silly to some, but its ingrained in me and to imagine I could make decisions based on what I want. I cant even imagine that life or maybe I'd be the same cause I just have a conscious but I believe its God and not me.

There's my two cents

#242 Edited by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

@hatking said:

@truthtellah said:
@hatking said:

I heard that theory before, and it blows my mind that somebody would create an account (which is kind of an annoying process on any website) just to say a sentence or two on something that doesn't ultimately matter. Like, I could see it if they had some lengthy ass diatribe that they thought would melt minds, but it's usually just a sentence. Like here, "to think that the only reason (most) people don't off their spouses for insurance money is because of fear of hell is insane. Most people don't do that because it would be unfair to another person." A valid point he makes, but was it worth creating an account for?

The internet's weird, man.

The Internet is weird for sure.