If you had the money, what would be your big, dumb purchase?

• 124 results
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

So today, I went down a rabbit hole of thinking about the rhythm arcade game maimai, which eventually lead me to wonder if it was possible for someone who doesn't own a Club Sega to buy one of these cabinets and have it shipped to the United States. It turns out you can...If you have about $9,000. And it didn't seem like there were any payment plans or anything; you straight up need to have $9,000 to get one.

Now I am not a rich man, but at the same time I don't have any real desire to buy something really expensive like a luxury car or a big ass boat. That said, after being around my dad who is really into cars and motorcycles, I do get the appeal of having a toy like that or buying something that is really expensive, but whatever man, treat yo self.

So, if you had the money what would you buy? A way too big TV? Something super rare? A warehouse full of soup? Or for those who have indulged, what do you consider to be your toy?

Turns out for me, its either the most ridiculous gaming PC or a random Japanese arcade rhythm cabinet.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly, I'd buy a comic book shop.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

For me it would easily be my own full size, high quality indoor basketball court. I play basketball just about every day and I would absolutely love it to roll out of bed and get my shots up that easily, and be able to host games and stuff. You could even make some money off of renting the space I'm sure, if you wanted.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Super Pochaco mousepad.

Yeah, THAT one.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been a dream of mine to buy a Lamborghini, strap C4 to it, drive the car off the cliff, and blow it up before it hits the water.

Markus1395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A custom-built guitar. Any good builder would do, but I particularly like Daemoness and Esoterik guitars.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A ridiculously powerful computer. That's about it.

Though if I could get a factory-new El Camino I probably would. Had enough car issues in the past that I don't want to deal with older used stuff. No idea why but I've always liked the look of those car trucks. Always tend to get one (or lookalikes) in games if I can.

I'd probably go with the computer first though.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of those restaurant-sized brick pizza ovens.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the answer to this changes quite often really but at the moment I'd love to own a run down classic American muscle car and then do it up into a road legal drag racer. The upkeep on these can be huge so it would definetly be a huge big expense but also something that has the ability to give a great deal of satisfaction. It would also allow me to learn about car mechanics and gain a new skill.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Full size functional replica of the Enterprise from Star Trek.

pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A house. Yeah, I'm fucking boring.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a lab with every piece of machinery I could want.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A really good, industry grade 3d printer maybe, combined with a 3d scanner? Though my hope is that the technology will advance enough in the next years that this won't forever be the kind of ridiculous purchase I could only really justify if I won the lottery.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gundogan

My own custom built race circuit (or the Istanbul GP track, not being used anyway) + a variety of cool cars.

Kinda my own real life race simulator.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

9000 candy bars assuming I had to spend it on something stupid. Otherwise I'd save that shit up. Or perhaps donate to a charity.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Land.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A old abandoned missile silo that I would convert into my home.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A self sustainable abandoned oil rig, with full amenities (power, high speed internet, etc).

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best custom made electric wheelchair that money can buy. I would also love a wheelchair that's designed for basketball, just to fuck around in because those things are really fun!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 24/7 sushi conveyor and people to keep it full.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A old abandoned missile silo that I would convert into my home.

If I could get great Internet as well, then I change my answer to this. Then an absurdly powerful computer.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original World of Warcraft Collector's Edition. I am a huge collector of the in game cosmetic stuff. Mounts, battle pets, etc, and although I started playing in classic, the 16 year old me at that time did not have the foresight to think I would want one of those, nor how rare they would become. The 3 battle pets tied to it are some of the remaining few I don't have, and I get sad every time I look through my Pet Journal and see them grayed out.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An F1 car along with the required bribes to let me drive it on the street.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much money are we talking here? I've got a lot of ideas.

First thought would be high-end PC build complete with some awesome 27-inch 144hz IPS 1440p or 4k monitors with Gsync, a new desk and office chair

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Facial Feminization Surgery, I suppose? Maybe SRS but my healthcare lets me get a free one of those so...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A big 2 week vacation to Japan.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Honestly right now the only truly expensive thing I'd want is a house. Not even a mansion or anything, just a fucking house man. My area is a nightmare for finding a place to live....

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably some synths and sequencers that I don't quite feel I deserve yet. I really like learning how to program new equipment.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it had to be something with very little utility, then it would be a boat.

I know decent ones are expensive, and they are hell to upkeep, but I like the idea of being able to ride out with some mates and have a beer.

It in no way would be worth it, but I want one.

monosukoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honda '91 NSX. Wouldn't even need *that* much money. But holy shit, I'd be stoked.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would throw all the money I had to the Wachowski's and ask them to make me Speed Racer 2.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One day I'll have a garage and in that garage I'll have a flight sim cockpit.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'm really only interested in buying things I'd use a lot, so it would be a super-rad computer, my own render farm, all the video and music software I've always wanted, a really nice DSLR camera, and have audio and video studio rooms built in my house. I'd consider that all one purchase as it's all related.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Casepb

Honestly I'd probably go with a nicer car. But I really should go with fixing up my piece of shit backyard, and getting a fence. I just don't care about my backyard enough though. I never go out there anyway. It's so awful to cut though, it's a big mix of weeds, dirt, and holes. You know maybe I would get a pool. Then I could cover up majority of the shitty yard and have a place to swim. So final answer. A nice fancy ass pool in my backyard.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy Metal Blade Records.

EgonVonHolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy as many truffles as I possibly could and find a way to preserve them so that they could last me for the rest of my life.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Neo Geo AES with all the games and a couple of nice bass guitars. I'm not picky.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A really nice studio apartment in a high-rise downtown

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A dragon.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A nice apartment near downtown. Not the biggest but just enough to make a living among other things. If I do have o splurge!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pants said:

Hey, I had the same thought, but that's because home prices are ludicrous in California.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy a shop and turn it into a Street Fighter II arcade.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The full-blown VR experience. Vive, treadmill thingie, big empty room, you name it. Let's get stupid with it.

Alternative dream purchases:

A professional-grade home music studio.

A house. Not even a particularly high-end one, just a solid, decent house.

A vowel.

Like, so many burritos.

Exclusive rights to the song "Lockdown".

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BoOzak

@pants said:

@jakob187 said:

Land.

Neither of these are dumb purchases since houses and land tend to keep their value. (or increase in value) Obviously it depends on the land and how well you look after said house.

@ripelivejam said:

A dragon.

Now we're talking.

I'd probably buy a nice PC and a Vive. I'm also boring.

EDIT: I suppose I have the money for that. If I could drive I would go with an RV or something but again that's more practical than dumb.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd probably just create a big ass recording studio that I have no idea how to use.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

How Big? How dumb?

If we are talking $50 million
- Buy a farm in Massachusetts, and build an authentic samurai house. An authentic 18th century japanese house, a garden and a dojo.

If we are taking $500 million
- The above...and
- Start a scholarship at my home town school. Anyone can apply for one of three scholarship each year - 100% tuition, and $500 cash for books each semester as long as you keep up a 2.6 average. I would have graduation bonuses, so that anyone who sticks it out get something extra.

If we are taking $5 billion
- Both of the above...and
- I would endow Cape Cod Community College with $500 million low-risk investment portfolio that will make it money. I would endow another billion for a large building program to upgrade to all facilities. Then, I would endow 12 head-faculty positions at a level so that they could attract/hire top-tier staff for the next 30 years to jump-start the school's reputation. The goal would be to make one on the best "Community Colleges" in the country that focused on degrees that are high-skill and high-pay. The school has NO Associate degrees, all programs of Bachelor's degrees. The Master Program stays teh same for those that want that. But anyone who get a "Skills" or "Tech" degree can enroll in a two year Incubator program. THis program is free, but highly competitive. It is basically a Business & Entrepreneurship programs which you work in teams on real projects. Aside from business and entrepreneurship, there are manditory, gym classes, there is strict dress code, and many other strange things that make students think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big scale: Enough money to move out of the backwards hick town / crack head town I've always lived in and move somewhere where I don't have to worry about getting stabbed, robbed or be bored to death because there is literally nothing where I live but worn down houses, empty strip malls and abandoned farms turned into grow ops.

Small Scale: A new PC. Mine's around 10 years old and barely holding together.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fnrslvr
No Caption Provided

...yeah, that'll do me. I guess you could call it a modest choice, given its place in the catalog.

My serious answer should be property, though, seeing as though I'm theoretically of "buying age" and Sydney is officially less affordable than San Francisco.

@therealmoot said:

Big scale: Enough money to move out of the backwards hick town / crack head town I've always lived in and move somewhere where I don't have to worry about getting stabbed, robbed or be bored to death because there is literally nothing where I live but worn down houses, empty strip malls and abandoned farms turned into grow ops.

:(