• 52 results
Posted by BeachThunder (11711 posts) 9 months, 26 days ago

Poll: If you're walking with someone, is it rude if they begin listening to music with earphones in? (227 votes)

Yes 84%
No 10%
*Just show me the results* 6%

I know someone that does this and I just find it ultra-frustrating. Maybe I'm just a boring individual =|

#1 Edited by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Yes it is rude but I do it all the time, wife hates it but sorry I like music or a podcast on during silence or even a mild conversation, no different to me than the tv on in the background.

#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3756 posts) -

It totally is. This is a big pet peeve of mine, as someone who uses headphones a lot. I always take them off when talking to people, going up to a counter, whatever.

To do that is ridiculous. A while ago I saw a family out to dinner and one of the kids had his earbuds in the whole dinner at the table. That wouldn't fly with me and I hope that isn't becoming acceptable.

I love my music and podcasts as much as the next guy, but we really can't just talk or listen to nothing for a few minutes? We're going nuts, I think.

If we can't just think to ourselves or have a conversation for a few moments something is wrong. I say that as someone who consumes a lot of media, too much I think, and still takes some time out to be in the moment.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -

I guess it depends on if you're expecting to have a conversation with them while you walk. If so then I guess it could be taken that way although I could see ways where if expectations are different its not considered rude to just focus on the walk itself while potentially zoning out to music.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (8555 posts) -

@beachthunder It depends.

In general, I think it may be a little inconsiderate, but it depends on your expectations. If you're not expecting to converse, there's no reason for them to avoid listening to something that they have with them.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I am the one who puts on the earphones.

Though I only do it when there are more than 2 people in teh group, and even then I usually only listen with one ear.

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

Yes it is.

#7 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

Definitely. In fact, it is probably my biggest pet peeve and will put me in a bad mood if I'm in a social situation where somebody is doing that.

Hell, I was at dinner tonight with somebody doing that and I don't even particularly like the guy to begin with so I was not a fan of that at all.

#8 Posted by TheHT (10915 posts) -

Absolutely. At that point you're kinda not walking together.

#9 Posted by joshwent (2136 posts) -

Maybe that person, OP, isn't just indiscriminately rude, but rather trying to send you a message. Like, "Hey, don't walk with me."

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2203 posts) -

My ex absolutely hated how often I did that. I can see where she is coming from now.

#11 Edited by probablytuna (3547 posts) -

It depends sometimes. Normally I walk with my headphones on when walking with my mum or brother. Usually cause we only talk when we're sitting down, and they're fine with it. When with my friends I usually don't even have my headphones with me.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

It is rude definitely .... call them out if they do that I say , maybe they think it isnt and dont do it maliciously.

#13 Posted by Nodima (1110 posts) -

I have never seen anyone do this ever, so I imagine if I did I would find it annoying. Bus, train and plane are the only reasonable modes of transportation for headphones, earbuds or cutting you out of the world.

#14 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

Yeah, that's pretty rude if you're with someone who is expecting to talk to you. You should have a mutual understanding of "we're not going to talk right now."

But I will say this, if I have my headphones and you come up trying to speak to me, knowing that my headphones are in, I fucking hate you.

#15 Posted by PandaBear (1308 posts) -

You hang out with pricks.

#16 Posted by Castiel (2534 posts) -

You slap them earphone wearing bastards so hard that they go flying. Afterwards they will think twice about wearing earphones when talking/walking with others.

#17 Posted by Flappy (2139 posts) -

If I'm chillin' with friends or somethin', the headphones aren't comin' out. I mean, I am chillin' with them for a reason.

I've seen a lot of dudes get their heads bitten off by their female friends for doing this sort of thing, so I'm not too keen on following in their footsteps.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4161 posts) -

I used to do that at school with friends. We all were doing that though, walking to the McDonald's and back, half in the real world while listening to stupid band things.

#19 Edited by Marz (5644 posts) -

hmm only do it if you don't want to talk to someone, otherwise if it's a chick... offer to let her listen with the other earplug to get a little closer ya know....

#20 Posted by Akyho (1585 posts) -

In silence its a so so. if your talking no. I had a girlfriend which would have one bud in and listening to music while I talked to her she was ok but its was annoying. Her sister would have both in and music on and talk to me so I dont know how that worked.

I had a female friend that mid conversation she would start talking about something different such as "Where are you?" .and I would still talk to her "right here next you?" then she says "How long till your there..." Iook round to her other side she took out her phone dialed someone and put it up to her ear....and is talking to someone.

It pissed me off and I always blew up on her and she always did it....

#21 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

I put in headphones when I do not want to talk to anybody and I dont care what they think. like dudes who bring their annoying girlfriends to play games at my house or anywhere else without asking.,,.,,But even if they said yes I would still do it because I don't care.

(especially if they bring them into my personal space at my house that drives me up the fucking wall they have already pissed me off when they walk in the door.)

I don't want to chat with the dudes annoying girlfriend and or boyfriend or even the non annoying ones It does not do me any good . I did not pick her up so don't care, don't have to entertain her. So I will put in head phones this works even better at dinners because I can eat in almost quiet.

So in other words if I put in headphones then that means I don't care if they stay or go or what they got to say at that point.

Some times I go even one better I played a PSP/ds/3ds/gameboy game at with the headphones so I do not even have to look up either.

If I care about hanging out or doing something with them then I do not put in the head phones.

This did not matter back in high school/child as much as an adult it's a huge fuck you and I know it that is one of the reasons I do it and so I don't have to listen to them anymore. it's like real life blocking somebody on your friends list or not responding to game invites.

Some party or things I put them in when I am done and want to tune everything out until I can leave,.

Women seem to hate it the most and that is a huge bonus in it's use. Do I care? No if I did I would not do it.

So there you go what a guy who puts in head phones at some social events is thinking enjoy.

#22 Posted by ToTheNines (661 posts) -

It depends on the situation. Am I friends with the person? Are the more than one person there? Is the conversation flowing or are we just walking to the same place silently? For the most part I would say yeah, it can be rude. I do it all the time though, if I feel it isn't.

#23 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3048 posts) -

Earphones and cellphones have literally killed the "awkward silence" moments.

#24 Posted by RJPelonia (853 posts) -

Yes, I think this is very rude. Unfortunately, I also used to do this at a much younger age, but I've since realized just how rude it could be to people.

Though to be honest, I'm not a big fan of when a person would do anything to isolate themself such as playing a handheld game or even focusing pretty intently on their phone when hanging out with their friend(s). Maybe I'm just a picky person about that stuff.

#25 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

It is rude but I do it anyways. I tend to wear headphones anyways, if someone comes up to me and says hi I usually take it off until we part ways. If there's a silence I put on ear in and leave the other one out.

#26 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

Awkward silences, I think, are only when you're with someone you don't know well. Too many people seem to think silence/not talking is a bad thing.

#27 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Yes, it is now the awkward "lets both take our phones out at the same time" moment.

It depends, are you in the middle of a conversation? Then yes I find it rude, if you're not really talking its ok. The same goes for taking out your phone.

#28 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

IT it involves pulling out a cell then yes. Its rude as hell and annoying. Everyone does it. PEople can't go two minutes without reaching for their phone. Like they feel insecure without it. Fucking hate it.

#29 Posted by HellknightLeon (452 posts) -

I would shoot someone for doing that.... in the face! Might follow it up by pissing on them.

#30 Edited by Glottery (1113 posts) -

Probably, at least if you're trying to have a half-serious discussion with the person wearing them.

With earphones in general, I've kinda started a bad habit to wear them nearly all the time when I'm alone and going somewhere. Listening to anything natural...screw that! I think it all started back in 2011 with Bombcast invading my life, so I'll just blame GB for this.

#31 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

It's rude unless you've agreed it is cool beforehand.

#32 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5260 posts) -

Yeah. I used to do this when I first discovered podcasts. It can really put the other person in an odd position.

#33 Edited by MikeJFlick (438 posts) -

If you know the person, yes very rude, so much so, if someone did that to me, I'd straight up ditch the person.

#34 Edited by Humanity (8836 posts) -

I had an issue where a co-worker of mine would sometimes take the same bus as me. The person in question was weird and it was really difficult to maintain any sort conversation as they'd just answer with one or two words and then keep quiet until I'd think of something else to say. During those walks to the bus and subsequent bus rides they'd be perfectly complacent in sitting next to me in complete silence, but I still felt it was kind of rude for me to just pop in earphones and start listening to music.

So different strokes for different folks. I think it's rude.

#35 Posted by Mcfart (1554 posts) -

If it's an acquaintance, I'll say hi, then put in headphones once the conversation stops. If it's someone I know well, then more likely not.

#36 Posted by believer258 (11668 posts) -

If you start talking to someone while they have headphones in, then it isn't rude for them to leave one in while you're holding a conversation. If they start talking to you with one headphone in, then I don't really consider it rude either, though I would expect this person to take them out if the conversation goes on for a few minutes.

If the conversation starts and then they put headphones in, then that is really rude. Who would do that?

#37 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1551 posts) -

I think its rude ... even if they just put one in it gives the signal: "You are not really interesting to talk to, so keep saying stuff while I listen to something more interesting."

#38 Edited by Xeiphyer (5597 posts) -

Depends on the person I guess. I like music while walking, but turn it off if i'm having a conversation, or at the very least take out the ear closest to the person and keep my music low for background noise.

It could be less that they're just being rude, and more that they're telling you they don't want to talk or walk with you. Really depends on the situation though.

#39 Posted by benpicko (2001 posts) -

Depends on the person

#40 Posted by Fattony12000 (7073 posts) -

Rood doodz.

#41 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

I don't usually put them in while walking with someone but if I'm by myself and need to go to a counter or briefly ask someone something I'll pull one earbud out and turn the music down before I ask.

#42 Posted by Blomakrans (148 posts) -

I can't stand it when people do this. Why even be together if you're going to listen to something else?

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

Only if the music sucks ass.

#44 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

I take a good amount of time putting my earphones on, so I tend to leave them on whenever I'm walking around and talking to people, but nothing's playing. Blasting music while walking with someone, though? That's just rude.

#45 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3756 posts) -

Anyone who votes "No" should be put on a list.

#46 Posted by Marcsman (3125 posts) -

It's rude.

#47 Posted by Disaya (284 posts) -

I think it's pretty rude, but does the person put earphones in as soon as you guys start walking together or do they only put them in once the conversation has died down? I'm glad my friends and family don't do this, because it seems very annoying. Instead I have to deal with the person who is on their phone the whole time your taking or hanging out, that is frustrating as hell.

#48 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

If you are a douchebag, no...

#49 Posted by stryker1121 (1348 posts) -

Yes it's rude and it's a societal problem that branches out to people having their faces in their stupid iPhones all the time. Always have to be connected, always have to have some distraction. Society!

#50 Posted by sonicrift (293 posts) -

Follow up question: If you're walking with someone, is it rude if they stick their middle finger right in front of your face while tugging at their crotch?