• 124 results
#1 Posted by arab_prince (2052 posts) -
#2 Posted by arab_prince (2052 posts) -

Having all bald men in my family, I realized I didn't have much of a chance. However at a young age I'm already seeing the thinning of my hair. I doubt I will be able to get to 30 before baldness is apparent. So I was wondering whether once I go bald should I just shave my head, or try to maintain the few scraps I have, like a great many people do. What would you guys do?    

#3 Posted by Sargus (706 posts) -

I HAVE started going bald, at the ripe old age of 22, and I haven't shaved my head. Part of this is because my fiancee (and other women who have spoken their opinion on the matter) has told me not to. She would rather me go bald naturally if I'm going to go bald at all, and since she's the one that has to wake up with me every morning, I'll respect her wishes.

But I don't think I'd shave my head anyway. I'm not a fan of the idea.

#4 Posted by ZombiePie (5374 posts) -

What does your scalp look like. This information is important. Do you have a lumpy scalp?

#5 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

Shave it, get a sick goatee and start a thrash metal band.

#6 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

The problem with shaving it is you're sort of committed to maintaining that shaven look.  

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4378 posts) -

I already shave my head.  Yes, I'm a space marine.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9786 posts) -

Nope. I'd wear some sort of goofy wig that clashed with the rest of my hair. Elvis hair would be nice.  

Just like that. Maybe. 

#9 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Absolutely.  It's the classy way to deal with a difficult situation.

#10 Posted by bearshamanbro (283 posts) -

Go with a really short hair cut but don't shave it yet until it gets really bad. A few of my friends have bald patches but short hair and it's not super noticeable. One thing to consider though is possibly changing the color of your hair. If you have really dark hair the bald patches really stick out due to the contrast, light brown to blonde hair seems to make bald patches blend in.

#11 Edited by arab_prince (2052 posts) -
@ZombiePie: Hmm Running my hand across it, it seems quite smooth.  

HOWEVER! As a child my ears tended to stick out a bit making my face quite hideous. Over time I've grown into them, but I think shaving my head may just amplify that problem again.
#12 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Start with a comb-over and work your way to a skullet. That's my plan at least.

#13 Posted by TurboMan (6956 posts) -

my roomate was bald, and it didn't look like the worst thing in the world... 

I have an uneven head though..

#14 Posted by Hamst3r (4343 posts) -

No. I don't care.

I could go bald on only the left side of my head and I'd leave it be.
#15 Posted by SomeJerk (2977 posts) -

I've got a good skull on my neckbone, went bald after I got tired of looking like a pre-haircut Devin Townsend rocking a sweet skullet for years, and I don't regret it. People look and go "that's a great bald head", not "wtf is up with that head", I'm thankful for having a good head. I miss my 3ft long hair but I don't miss how it would get in the way of everything.

#16 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

Well i like the bald look so yes, i shave my head bald when my hair is perfectly fine condition, you give me an excuse i will do it even more often. 

#17 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

I cant imagine life without my luscious long locks 

Dont make me think about it

#18 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

No, I'd just make it so that being bald is the new thing and then everyone else wants to look like me.

#19 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -

Thank you, and good night.
#20 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

Perhaps... but hopefully I won't have to think about that for a long while.

#21 Posted by dudeglove (7273 posts) -

Depends on the head. If that shit goes shiny, buff it up some more. Might as well go the whole way.

#22 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

I've got bad skin on my scalp. Psoriasis. Not so fun, and I imagine it would look pretty terrible. So here's hoping I don't go bald!
#23 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -

A have a very oddly shaped head as the result of several cranial operations when I was 4 months old. However, all the men in my family have great hair, even into their 50s and 60s, so I hope this holds true for me.

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7273 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" What does your scalp look like. This information is important. Do you have a lumpy scalp? "
For some reason I know have this image of you frantically browsing through a collection of bald men pics on your comp.
#25 Posted by arab_prince (2052 posts) -

Ok what if I am slightly tanned? I'm not sure if my scalp is the same colour, actually im quite sure it isnt! 

#26 Posted by NoXious (1335 posts) -

I always laugh my ass off at people that try to hide their baldness. Just be a man and embrace it!
Maybe go Monk-style on that hair of yers!

#27 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (442 posts) -

Just use hair clippers and shave your head. It's not as atrocious looking as a clean, razor shaved head.   
Also, I'm assuming that you're white. If you're NOT white, then you will look completely fine with a bald head, and the point is moot.

#28 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@bearshamanbro said:
" Go with a really short hair cut but don't shave it yet until it gets really bad. A few of my friends have bald patches but short hair and it's not super noticeable. One thing to consider though is possibly changing the color of your hair. If you have really dark hair the bald patches really stick out due to the contrast, light brown to blonde hair seems to make bald patches blend in. "
This, totally.

@arab_prince: Funny, this just came up in the last few months with my husband.  He's got a bald spot that is completely noticeable now.  I had finally asked him, "what are you going to do when it gets worse?"  We weren't sure about the whole shaving bald thing.  So we decided that while he had a break from work, we would crop his hair really short.  I think I used a #3 on the clippers, and had done the whole head with the #3.  I wanted to go to a #2 on the sides and back, but we didn't get to it.  Mostly, we wanted to see if his head was going to look ok completely shaved, by at least going really really short.  I don't know... everyone says he has the head for it.  I just can't imagine it.  But we're going to have to.  He's not going to dig it when that bald spot gets bigger :(     But he does also rock a goatee so maybe it'll look fine.  I dunno.

I also plan on dying his hair lighter when he lets me get around to doing it.
#29 Posted by DonutFever (3518 posts) -

Depends how it looks. Balding can be sort of badass sometimes.

#30 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

If you go bald on top, having a sick beard is a must. Luckily most men who go bald are manly enough to grow an ace beard to compensate. I'm never going to go bald, but if it were to happen, my really cool neopolitan colored facial hair would be more than enough to compensate. Being fat or large boned helps too.

#31 Posted by arab_prince (2052 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" If you go bald on top, having a sick beard is a must. Luckily most men who go bald are manly enough to grow an ace beard to compensate. I'm never going to go bald, but if it were to happen, my really cool neopolitan colored facial hair would be more than enough to compensate. Being fat or large boned helps too. "
Thankfully I wont need to shave my head now, so I have a few years to master my beard. Thank you for your input.
#32 Posted by GreggD (4449 posts) -

A) I have begun to bald, B) my hair has since stopped receding, C) my hair looks pretty good right now, with a nice widow's peak in the front.

#33 Posted by markini6 (444 posts) -

At the age of 18 years old I am already forced to seriously consider this question. I can hide it at the moment and still have better looking hair than practically everyone that I know, but in a few years time my head will never be the same...

So yes, I think I would shave my head, to either very short, stubble like hair or completely bald. I would however only do this before going on holiday so that I could get a tanned bonce before it was seen by friends.

#34 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

The way male pattern baldness works, your hair starts coming in thinner and less frequently, so that you get less dense sections and shorter hair. Having a generally shorter cut will definitely mask the contrast. I would definitely think about getting a low cut or buzz cut before going completely clean shaven.

Another thing, I think people, for the most part, realize that baldness is not something men can control, so they won't look at you like you're a bad person. The thing you can control is how you handle it. Comb overs and long tails with baldness always show desperation in trying to hold onto your previous look. A bald spot with an average length cut will make you look older (perhaps more mature or distinguished), while the short cut route will make you look younger.

Don't stress about it too much though.

#35 Posted by Choi (511 posts) -

Hell YES! Totally bald with a kick ass facial hair that can finally shine and get all the attention!
#36 Posted by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -

I'm destined for baldness, or atleast a receding hairline early on...dad and uncle had receding hairlines early on both grandads (fairly young) are bald and my other uncle is balding too 
but I have a double crown so yeah 
I would shave...you don't wanna be Alan Shearer...he seems soooo intent on keeping that tiny bit of fucking bum fluff on the front of his head...

#37 Posted by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -

What kind of question is that? Of course you'd shave your head. No body WANTS to look like an idiot.

#38 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

To be honest, if you shave your head like that most people will just assume you're in the military.

#39 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -
@skrutop
Absolutely.  It's the classy way to deal with a difficult situation.
This.
#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10227 posts) -

I'd make it work long as I can, and when it becomes too difficult to style my balding head, I'll shave it.  

My dad's (and his dad) got a hole the size of texas on his poor head, I hope that isn't me. Though I'm fairly certain it will be. My hair line is already starting to recede. 

#41 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Already thinking about it so I don't even have to worry about it later. 

The ultimate "Fuck it."

#42 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

Yup. I would rather get rid of it all than being partially bald.

#43 Posted by armaan8014 (5258 posts) -
@Jolt92 said:
" Shave it, get a sick goatee and start a thrash metal band. "
the right solution
#44 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Hair is pointless, learn to love your baldness my friend. 
I find people clinging to their last few little hairs pathetic, Im 27 and Ive been shaving my head for a few years now cause like you I saw this coming. Im really happy with the way I look and not having to take care of the hair in my head is fucking awesome.

#45 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

I like my hair, but if I was to start to go bald, I would get it over with and shave it all.

#46 Posted by EpicSteve (6444 posts) -

Don't fight nature. 

#47 Posted by ReyGitano (2465 posts) -

The moment I have a bold spot, the hair goes off most likely.

#48 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -
@Bruce said:
" To be honest, if you shave your head like that most people will just assume you're in the military. "
I'd say "most people" is an overstatement. Some, maybe.
#49 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

My hair receded starting at 23. I don't think bald looks good, and having ~some~ hair helps me absorb sweat. Bald makes me recall archived "Mr.Clean" commercials.....

#50 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Yes, Without a doubt.