Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: If you was in a desperate situation would you fight someone for money? (119 votes)

I wouldn't think its worth it no matter how bad my situation is. 23%
If I needed the money I'll do it, no matter the consequences. 29%
I've already fought people before to earn some cash. 9%
To be honest I've never fought someone, and hope I never will. 39%

(Just curious)

Me personally I wouldn't do it. Hurting people isn't something I like doing. Though I know people that do it just for the money, and I had people that tried to talk me into fighting for money in the past. To me the risks doesn't seem worth the reward.

#1 Posted by MannyMAR (489 posts) -

I've fought for money, but I wasn't necessarily desperate for it either. To clarify, I used to participate in MMA tournaments where money was the prize. Then again, I'm not quite sure the context of your question: If you mean like hurt someone in any situation or rather hurt someone in the course of committing a crime? If it's the latter then no, I would never hurt someone with malicious intent just to get some cash.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@mannymar said:

I've fought for money, but I wasn't necessarily desperate for it either. To clarify, I used to participate in MMA tournaments where money was the prize. Then again, I'm not quite sure the context of your question: If you mean like hurt someone in any situation or rather hurt someone in the course of committing a crime? If it's the latter then no, I would never hurt someone with malicious intent just to get some cash.

How much did the MMA tournaments pay?

#3 Posted by SunBroZak (1200 posts) -

Having not seen this film, I have no idea if it fits this context.

And no, I wouldn't fight someone for money.

#4 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

Do I still get money if I lose? Because that will probably be a key factor.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'd prefer more subtle illegal means of getting cash before underground boxing.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

Do I still get money if I lose? Because that will probably be a key factor.

I know there some fights where people still get money if they lose, but not much.

#7 Edited by MannyMAR (489 posts) -

When I was doing it (mind you this was about 10 years ago in amateur tournaments), about $2000 for 1st, $1000 for 2nd, & $500 for 3rd. Everyone else after got nothing as it was amateur, and you'd also have to front a $100 registration fee. These tourneys were more about being seen than winning cash though.

Things might be very different now, considering the popularity of MMA.

#8 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@mannymar said:

When I was doing it (mind you this was about 10 years ago in amateur tournaments), about $2000 for 1st, $1000 for 2nd, & $500 for 3rd. Everyone else after got nothing as it was amateur, and you'd also have to front a $100 registration fee. Things might be very different now, considering the popularity of MMA.

That's a good amount of cash for amateur fights. It would be tempting if someone needed money.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

Where's the "no" option.

#10 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

Where's the "no" option.

It would be the first poll option..

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

Id thumb wrestle someone to death.

#12 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

In my previous life before emigrating to the Internets, I was an underground Street Fighter plowing my way through Ullan Bator in Mongolia.

I was bestowed with the honorary title 'Lao Xu We Khan Zeying' meaning Double Hard Bastard. It was rumored Hollywood was gonna make a movie out of my story starring Jean Claude Van Damme. But it was deemed too raw by the movie execs.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

Damn, I totally misread it! I voted for the last one, but it's not accurate since I fought a couple times when I was a kid.

#14 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Damn, I totally misread it! I voted for the last one, but it's not accurate since I fought a couple times when I was a kid.

Hopefully you've became Number 1 and emerge victorious.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

No. In principle, sure, but I'm not much of a fighter.

#16 Posted by Vuud (2033 posts) -

There's no "I'd bet on the other guy and take a dive" option.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

@falserelic: Welp, doesn't really sound like much of a viable way for me to make money then! I'm not really against in principle though, if we are both risking our hide for cash, then there is no point in feeling guilty. Though ofcourse... -Experience in real life may differ from imagination-

#18 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Sure

#19 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1817 posts) -

Those are some extreme answers. Fighting is very context sensitive, or at least it should be.

#20 Edited by CaLe (4018 posts) -

I fought a lot through my high school years, but I kinda grew out of it. I do think I could take anyone in my weight class... so I'd like to at least experience an official fight just to test whether my preconceived notion is way off or not. Might be cool just to experience that. Now that I think about it, the only fight I ever lost was when I got real angry at my older cousin's friend and just started throwing punches at him. I didn't stand a chance, though he was 6 years older than me, so... I got revenge by deleting his MGS clear save. No more stealth camo for you, mister.

#21 Posted by Hunter5024 (5806 posts) -

As long as I was paid either way. Fights are really stupid, but they don't take very long, and if I could make a real wage for an hour of work, I'd do it, even if that hour involved having the shit beaten out of me.

#22 Posted by Rafaelfc (1381 posts) -

I'd punch a guy for some dough, sure. let's do this!

#23 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2894 posts) -

@mannymar said:

I would go even further, getting in a fight means probably getting hurt, being injured doesn't help you earn more money nor does it put you in a good light. You might lose a job for having a black eye or being injured. So what would be the point of fighting over money. Ninety percent of survival is about being able to get up the next day to move on...fighting is too big of risk...it could be life or death in fact.

#24 Posted by IzzyGraze (851 posts) -

I'm a lover not a fighter. Take that how you will ;).

#25 Edited by bybeach (4894 posts) -

I'd want a few bucks if I lost. But I do not enjoy hurting ppl unless something is the reason..ie, my life, my gf or BBfs life or health.

You know, some moral position plus maybe a beer to give me a little backbone.

#26 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@bybeach said:

I'd want a few bucks if I lost. But I do not enjoy hurting ppl unless something is the reason..ie, my life, my gf or BBfs life or health.

You know, some moral position plus maybe a beer to give me a little backbone.

If I was in a fight for money I probably wouldn't drink beer. I wouldn't want to throw myself off.

#27 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

Depends entirely on what the rules of the fight are, how bad my situation is and who my opponent is.

I mean what kind of fighting are we talkin about? Boxing? MMa? Toughman cage match? Street fighting? Bar Fight? Gun fight?

Big differences between all those and my willingness to partake in getting my ass kicked for $$$.

Can't say I care for fighting at all, but if I gotta throw down it's goin down.

#28 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I would be snapped like the human twig I am.

#29 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I'd probably try doing something I could handle better first, like I dunno, most entry level jobs. Fighting isn't something I've ever done, so I'd probably be shit at it. I'm also quite skinny/weak, please don't place your bets on me!

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3065 posts) -

Were* and no.

#31 Posted by RupertTheBear (190 posts) -

If I was a school teacher and facing a financial situation then sure I'll fight for some money. Perhaps if I was really desperate, I'll pitch my fighting experience and hope to make it into a book or a movie one day.

#32 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2488 posts) -

Nope. I'm a pacifist at heart.

#33 Posted by mlarrabee (2992 posts) -

@izzygraze said:

I'm a lover not a fighter. Take that how you will ;).

I'm going to take it this way: if you were in a desperate situation you would love someone for money.

Is that about right?

#34 Edited by IzzyGraze (851 posts) -
#35 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Depends. To clarify when you say fight do you mean like a professional fight in a tournament or a street fight? Because if my opponent is a professional I'd have no chance of winning, no rules... maybe.

#36 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1620 posts) -

I'd just charge it to a beeeetch

#37 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

Depends. To clarify when you say fight do you mean like a professional fight in a tournament or a street fight? Because if my opponent is a professional I'd have no chance of winning, no rules... maybe.

It can be either, depends on the situation you was in.

#38 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@rupertthebear: Here comes the boom was a funny movie. Warrior was good too, but I wish the ending was better.

#39 Edited by Elazul (1327 posts) -

I'd do it. It'd be worth it just so I could scream "MY FIIIGHT MOOOONEEEEEEY" while having the shit beaten out of me.

#40 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

Where do you live that people come up and approach you to fight for money and saying "if you was" is considered grammatically correct?

#41 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@rick_fingers said:

Where do you live that people come up and approach you to fight for money and saying "if you was" is considered grammatically correct?

Thanks for pointing my error out.

I grew up in Detroit, and when I was a teen I went to a martial arts school. Some people at my high school at the time, would ask me to fight someone for quick cash. They knew I was in a martial arts school and wanted me to put on a show. I never told them about it, but some people notice me attending the school.

#42 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

@falserelic: ah I was just messing around, hope I didn't offend you

And fair enough, I guess that's weird to me. I grew up with a reputation of knowing how to handle myself from boxing and all, but there was never anything like that; more just "so and so is being a dickhead, you should go smack him one,"

Different childhoods, hey?

#43 Edited by TruthTellah (9309 posts) -

You make some odd threads, falserelic. heh. I get this unusual feeling that one day we're going to hear about you in the news and the police report will just note that "apparently he only went through with it because it was the top choice in an online poll."

#44 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@falserelic: ah I was just messing around, hope I didn't offend you

And fair enough, I guess that's weird to me. I grew up with a reputation of knowing how to handle myself from boxing and all, but there was never anything like that; more just "so and so is being a dickhead, you should go smack him one,"

Different childhoods, hey?

I'm not offended. Where I'm from I always manage to get myself into trouble, even though I never went looking for it. Hell alot of my regrets came from my teenage years, some regrets still haunt me.

#45 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

You make some odd threads, falserelic. heh. I get this unusual feeling that one day we're going to hear about you in the news and the police report will just note that "apparently he only went through with it because it was the top choice in an online poll."

That would be the day, once I've finally lost my mind.