If You're Not On Facebook, It's Time To Get Over Yourself

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By FritzDude

I don't need facebook. If i did i would probably use it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By ryanwho
@JammyJesus said:
" This thread is hilarious. I use facebook because I have friends. I like having friends.  "
And none of them own phones or use email or chat or skype or live near you? That's a bummer, man. I guess you do need facebook.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By sameeeeam
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" Or, hell, I could just get in touch with my friends any of the other twenty ways available to do so. "
Nicely put.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Lemoncookie01

What if you have no friends? D:

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ryanwho

Here's a quick status update: it'll be kitschy and retro to actively use a MySpace account in about 2 years. Get ahead of the curve before mom and dad ruin it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By BraveToaster

The same could be said about people who think that Facebook is a necessity.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By nintendoeats
@supermike6 said:
" I'm on facebook because I'm in high school so I have to be. That being said, I enjoy facebook and I think it's a pretty great tool. Don't really understand the hate. "
Just want to say, I didn't have Facebook in High School, and it was already a big deal at that point. You can escape, it is possible!
Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By Berezov

So I was on this thing called a phone right...

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people who go around preaching about how Facebook, texting, and any other advances in social technology are ruining society can suck a dick and choke on it. I'm so sick of being told I'm "Anti-social" because I choose to listen to my iPod on the train instead of starting a conversation with the half-asleep 9-5 prisoner next to me. Fuck that, I'm a miserable bastard in the morning and guess what? So is everyone else on the train.

Alas, I digress. I am almost in complete agreement with this article. It's a bit forceful, but I do wholeheartedly agree that these "Holier than thou" anti-Facebook douche bags need to stop. Either shut the fuck up and join the club, or stay out of it and keep quiet about it unless asked first. The worst part of it all is that the people who would "Rather talk face to face than text" or use other bullshit arguments like that are all talk and no walk, for lack of a better cliche (I don't know how to put the accent-thingy over the "e" in cliche so there). I've seen Facebook friends bitch about Facebook over Facebook, and I can guarantee that if you took away their cellphones, gaming systems, and Facebook accounts they'd be bored as fuck and completely lost. And yet that is the lifestyle they claim we should all embrace. I guess I'm a part of the problem because I'd rather text a quick message to a friend than call them up and organize a face-to-face meeting with them where we condemn anyone smart enough to use a more convenient means of communication.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By MideonNViscera
Facebook sucks. Yeah, I have it. It was cool years ago for creeping on chicks and now I use it to log into half the internet sites I visit. I took the app off my phone and blocked it from my e-mail though. Way way way too many idiots sending me requests and updating their status every time they have a fight with their boy/girlfriend. Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to other peoples' pathetic lives? haha
JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By JammyJesus
@ryanwho: Aye, I do use those things. Facebook is just highly convenient to talk to my friends that now live in other countries, or are travelling. It also has a chat feature, which I talk to my mates with. I might also suggest pulling ones cock out ones arse and stop being a total cunt, based on the fact that I gave you very little information and you speculated on something you have no information on. Good luck with your life. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find Facebook is the easiest way too keep in touch with people I normally socialize with because they use it all of the time. It made much more sense to me when I used it as a student, like it was originally designed for.

There is nothing wrong with people that don't use facebook, they just use different platforms to manage their social life. The fact this gawker writer is calling them out says more about his pathetic life than anything else.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" Either shut the fuck up and join the club, or stay out of it and keep quiet about it unless asked first."
Wow, you're a complete idiot.

I also don't see how being a facebook loser is the same as listening to an iPod or owning a phone/gaming system.

Worse than Hitler.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ryanwho
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" The people who go around preaching about how Facebook, texting, and any other advances in social technology are ruining society can suck a dick and choke on it. I'm so sick of being told I'm "Anti-social" because I choose to listen to my iPod on the train instead of starting a conversation with the half-asleep 9-5 prisoner next to me. Fuck that, I'm a miserable bastard in the morning and guess what? So is everyone else on the train. Alas, I digress. I am almost in complete agreement with this article. It's a bit forceful, but I do wholeheartedly agree that these "Holier than thou" anti-Facebook douche bags need to stop. Either shut the fuck up and join the club, or stay out of it and keep quiet about it unless asked first. The worst part of it all is that the people who would "Rather talk face to face than text" or use other bullshit arguments like that are all talk and no walk, for lack of a better cliche (I don't know how to put the accent-thingy over the "e" in cliche so there). I've Facebook friends bitch about Facebook over Facebook, and I can guarantee that if you took away their cellphones, gaming systems, and Facebook accounts they'd be bored as fuck and completely lost. And yet that is the lifestyle they claim we should all embrace. I guess I'm a part of the problem because I'd rather text a quick message to a friend than call them up and organize a face-to-face meeting with them where we condemn anyone smart enough to use a more convenient means of communication. "
Is it morning where you are now?
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By Geno

Joke post? 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ryanwho
@zudthespud said:
" I find Facebook is the easiest way too keep in touch with people I normally socialize with because they use it all of the time. It made much more sense to me when I used it as a student, like it was originally designed for.

There is nothing wrong with people that don't use facebook, they just use different platforms to manage their social life. The fact this gawker writer is calling them out says more about his pathetic life than anything else.
"
I think it mostly says his somewhat attractive hair stylist made a side comment and he let it fume in his brain for 3 days then spit this article out. All I see is blueballs, reading that.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I have a Facebook account. But that article was definitely written by a massive tool.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#118  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think if you're trying to be cool and avoid facebook then you should get over yourself.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#119  Edited By ptys

You do realise when you make those statements you are backing a corporation that is keeping a permanent file on your everyday activity without offering you anything in return? Facebook is a bad idea and the problems people will face years down the road when they find out they've traded their privacy for a bit of attention will be frightening. This post is actually so Facebook! You may be lonely and wanting attention?.. No offense.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120  Edited By Sooty

I mostly use Facebook because some of the drama on there is hilarious! Some people on my friends list I used to be on a course with at college are fucking mental though, their statuses are crazy and one of them always talks in the third person.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#121  Edited By pweidman

God now I wish I could put the Never meme up.  Maybe one of the geniuses around here?
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho:  Well no it's actually relatively early in the evening- HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!

@GunslingerPanda: So anyone who uses Facebook is a "Facebook loser"? And I'm the idiot.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#123  Edited By Vinny_Says

Not sure if trolling, but keep in mind that people were fine even before facebook started. I personally have no interest in it but I don't care what other people do. If you use it more power to you!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Agent1337 said:
"  Gawker just made an article that is completely true in every way. I could not have stated what the author of the article stated better. Well actually I probably could have, simply because I'm amazing like that. Anyway, read and behold the truth, and if you don't have a Facebook yet, stop being anti-social pissing off all of your friends and get one.

Oh, yeah, I'm not on Facebook. Like, it's so invasive. If you've said anything like this, I feel bad for you.

Facebook has over half a billion users. Almost everyone I know uses it. I use it. You probably use it. But ubiquity isn't equal to universality. Everyone knows one of those self righteous Facebook abstainers. Social media luddites. Pushing aside modern society in favor of a purer lifestyle, devoid of pokes, tags, and feeds. Defenders of something more natural and independent than Zuckerberg's friendship hive.

Except really, these people aren't defending anything except antisocial, extremely annoying behavior. And if you're one of them—you need to stop.

I will grant you this: Facebook, much like Twitter, has a lot that sucks about it. A tremendous amount. You're exposed to inane human behavior on a scope and volume unprecedented in the history of mankind. And yes, there are privacy eyebrow-raises that are warranted—it's a little weird that people I barely know anymore see where I work, where I live, and who I'm talking to. And there's plenty of crap. Pokes from creepy people. Photos of idiots. Moronic comments. Racism. All the worst parts about our species, sandwiched between poorly-targeted banner ads.

And yet, Facebook is a spectacular tool.

Facebook is the most important way we touch our friends online, period. Birthdays, parties, Passover seders, graduations—they're all organized on Facebook. Wedding photos, baby photos, stupid college parties photos you're nostalgic about already—they're all on Facebook. Everyone you might still care about in your life, despite distance, work, stress, money, and time—they're (mostly) all on Facebook. And all there to grasp, with the most minimal of effort. Really. Just click a bunch. If you care about any of these things—socializing, memories, friendships—you should be using Facebook, in spite of all its sour, vexing flaws.

Basically, if you don't like Facebook, it sounds to me like you don't like your friends. And what kind of terrible person doesn't like friends? Even Hitler had friends.

Link: http://uk.gizmodo.com/5792570/if-youre-not-on-facebook-its-time-to-get-over-yourself "
And with this one post you have made yourself a ego bosting tool in my mind. 
Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi

I made a facebook account for the quest on GB then deleted it when the quest was done, and that was that.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By 02sfraser

I have a facebook but usually use it as a way to share links, news articles or photos with people. If I acutally want to get in touch with someone I use my phone.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By smitty86

So when did Facebook become the greatest gift that mankind has ever given itself? Honestly the first thing I though of was the joke by Demetri Martin where he says “I wonder what the most intelligent thing ever said was that started with the word ‘dude.’ ‘Dude, these are isotopes.’"  Facebook to me is in the same vain as that joke. Facebook is fine for some but let's not start with putting it on some pedestal just because you can play scrabble with people you went to high school with. Basically its like this, if you use it fine. If you don't, who cares. Neither party is gaining much of anything.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By theguy

Why the fuck would someone be offended because someone else doesn't have a facebook? Why does it matter to you?

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Hot_Karl
@LordXavierBritish said:
"

IF YOU DON'T USE FACEBOOK YOU'RE A BAD PERSON AND HAVE NO FRIENDS.

Oh Gawker, you rascal you.
"
It's funny; although I have a Facebook (which I keep up only so I can talk to a friend of mine in England), that description describes me perfectly.

I'm kind of a terrible person, and I hate most of my "friends", so yeah, makes sense.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#130  Edited By ThePickle

No Caption Provided
Irony. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ArchScabby

What's Facebook?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You should be able to socialize with your real friends without using Facebook.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#133  Edited By alexl86

If you spend an hour or more online every day, joining Facebook is an eventuality. You've probably seen a few sites where they require you to log on through Facebook by now and have gotten a bit annoyed by this. You've most definitely considered it. Maybe once a week (if not more often) you think to yourself "all my friends are on Facebook" and consider taking the plunge.

I joined Facebook two months ago and the only thing I've done on Facebook since is sent a birthday greeting to my cousin. Facebook sucks, but you will join.... eventually.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Helimocopter

I'm on facebook.

right now.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By FourWude
@MordeaniisChaos said:

" @FourWude said:

"Typical media bullshit reasoning, 'everyone does it, so should you'.

I'd trust Facebook more if it wasn't directly funded by the CIA and thus the NSA. Call me stupid, but I like to make CIA/NSA agents work to get access to my information. It's no fun when they can access it all on a website, provided by me.

Think about it, me NOT being on Facebook is keeping a CIA/NSA bastard in a job. I'm helping the US economy, they should be fucking thanking me. "

Everyone uses it and that is what makes it so useful, if no one used it, it would be terrible, but because everyone uses it, its reliable, successful, and predictable.
Those bastards, protecting our nation and all that. How dare they watch you every second you exist on this planet. What dick heads!Also, your not really helping the economy with most gov't jobs that aren't construction, and that's more contracts than anything. Especially when, if they weren't supposedly listening to your every phone conversation, they would just get transfered to read your Facebook transcripts. Also, if you think Facebook is anything but a tiny source of information on you, your crazy. You never go to hospitals, or any medical facilities, you never have any run in with the law as victim or perp, you never take or allow pictures to be taken of you, you never use a computer, and you never look at the sky, and they still know more about you than you care for. Facebook isn't going to give them all your dirty little secrets and thinking it will is one of the most bat shit crazy things out there. Unless your a terrorist who adds a bunch of other terrorists and openly discus terrorism, your going to be fine. Until you forget how to breath or walk because your so stupid as to think Facebook is somewhere you should have private information.

This post is as hilariously bad as the gawker article. My original post wasn't even meant to be taken that seriously, but here we are, so let's talk.

Firstly you state, " Those bastards, protecting our nation and all that. How dare they watch you every second you exist on this planet. What dick heads!", in an ironic context, when clearly they have no right to watch over any citizen 24/7. I know you've been brainwashed to believe the US govt is holier than thou and has a divine right to do whatever it wants, but.... it doesn't. And neither does the constitution allow for it. And if they are watching you 24/7, which they would love to do, then they are clearly breaking the law, which they shit on continuously anyway. So what's new.

You then state, " Also, your not really helping the economy with most gov't jobs that aren't construction", when clearly the CIA/NSA drones, are obviously a DRAIN on the US economy. That part was pure irony, it was not meant to be taken literally. Unlike everyone else, you somehow missed that. A security state apparatus that is completely out of control.

Thirdly, you state that the CIA/NSA has access to our information anyway. I don't dispute this part, in fact I alluded to it when I said,  "I like to make CIA/NSA agents work to get access to my information". That implies they get access anyway, and there isn't much I can do to stop them. Most of that other info, is extremely specialised, be it medical or law enforcement. It does not give a minutiae detail as to what you're doing every day of your life.

And lastly, and the most hilarious part, " Unless your a terrorist who adds a bunch of other terrorists and openly discus terrorism, your going to be fine", which is so utterly, stupidly naive as to be untrue, especially in the times we live in. In a world where telling the truth, especially against government interests nets you jail time. And I like to speak the truth, I value it a lot thankyou very much. Would you like me to write a list of FBI wiretapping programs on civilians, or how even with the arrest of Newburgh Four on terrorism grounds, the District Judge stated that it was "concocted by the FBI"? That's right a case of entrapment by a govt agency, against US citizens.

But like I said none of this shit really matters, if they want to get info on you, they will. But let's at least make it difficult for them to do so.  Maybe I'm the stupid one, but I like my freedoms from the government thankyou very much. 

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Facebook is a Massive time sink. I think I made the right decision to abandon it

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#137  Edited By Red12b

yeah, nah, that's the worst possible way to try and get people on to something, 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't use FaceBook, and I have no plans on ever starting to use it. At this point, one of my main reasons is the fact that I'm not using it. 

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#139  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

...Oh great an article is telling me how to live my life, I should probably get to it and make that account.

I do actually have a FB account but rarely use it nowadays, it is such a timesink and people seem to get carried away with being given a 'voice'. Maybe that's more the company I keep on my friends list though.

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By playastation

Article seems to be a rant.
I'm not on facebook. I pay for a cellphone.
Who has time for that stuff? I mean really.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By FengShuiGod

If you like socializing, memories, and friendships you should probably be socializing with your friends and making memories. I'm not sure facebook can provide that. I mean, it's great for seeing photos of family who live across the country, and for sharing stuff like music, links, ect, and it works to arrange events, maybe network if you have a business, but other than that.......I don't think I've ever seen anything really meaningful of Facebook. Conversations are short, statues updates are often arbitrary and stupid, and there are simply things that Facebook can't do like create experiences in the real world. I think that article is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but if Facebook starts to be a source of so-called "socializing, memories,  and friendships" then I think we have lost something. Facebook should be a means to end, not an end in and of itself.

I have a facebook, but I don't care if you do or don't have one. I mean, I kinda don't really use mine for anything other that "You gonna be there at 9? Ok," or "Check out this video!" or "LMAO these pictures are awesome." And all that can take place before and without Facebook. Facebook has simply become an easy place to aggregate all of that. People were fine before facebook, and they will be fine if they don't use it. Some of the most successful and social people I know don't have a Facebook, and some do. Insisting that everyone "get over themselves," and jump on the Facebook bandwagon is one of the silliest examples of groupthink I've seen.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#142  Edited By cornbredx

First off I have a facebook page. Do I need it? No. I just have one for other people- i'm not afraid of people knowing about what I'm doing- but I would not miss it if it went away either.

Second, you're not amazing. If you were, you'd have more to say about this topic then just a couple sentences and copied quote of what someone else said that you apparently think is fascinating. It's really not, but I'm getting to that.

Third, not using Facebook doesn't make you a Luddite. The writer lost all credibility when he suggested you had to have facebook to fit in with the current generation of morons. I, and I'm sure most with their own brain that they use, could care less what everyone else is doing. If everyone found it amazing to jump off a bridge to their death- I sure as hell wouldn't follow suit. I'd stand there laughing as the morons left the planet to leave room for those of us that think for ourselves.

Fourth, this writer is an asshole. He doesn't even know what anti-social is if he thinks not having facebook is somehow obscene. I'm guessing he is either 13, or his mind is. Either way he's part of a sect of elitism i can't stand. The elitism that suggests everyone should use something popular because most find it so good. What one person likes, is not useful to someone else. Some people actually interact with people outside, and don't just stand around taking youtube videos and whatnot of people dieing just to be the first to get it up on youtube. Some people have no use for the internet at all. Obviously, i am not one of those people, my job actually entails the internet thrive. None-the-less I would never entertain the thought that someone who has no use for the internet is somehow unclean. That's childish and absurd. Same goes double for facebook.

Fifth, i have nothing else to say. I just wanted to get to five.

And i'm done.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#143  Edited By breadfan

If you don't have a Facebook, whatever. The whole world doesn't need an account. 

I don't get why people need to pour hate onto Facebook just for the sake of trashing it. Most of the arguments, especially in this thread, are pretty ignorant. Sure, you're inundated with annoying statuses and outright stupid posts, but guess what, there is an extremely useful way to weed those out. You can either hide the posts of certain people or do the obvious thing and not add every person you've had some sort of minor interaction with. I also don't buy the whole 'Facebook ruins real life social communication'. I mean sure, there are bound to be people who, for whatever reason, base their whole social life around Facebook, but that is not true for most people. If anything Facebook has just replaced my use of various forms of instant messaging programs, and my main source of communication with my friends is through my phone. It's also great for keeping in touch with friends who have gone off to different states for college, or whatever.  There is value to Facebook, as long as you don't get too carried away with it.

Short version; Facebook has its uses, don't get bogged down in the slightest problems related to it and make them out to be more than they really are.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#144  Edited By Lautaro

So, people hate the article attacking anyone that doesn't use Facebook, but then proceed to attack anyone that does use Facebook. Nothing new to see here then.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#145  Edited By Brendan

People make too big a deal over it on both sides, and both sides should get over themselves.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#147  Edited By matpaget
@Agent1337: 
I can't stand people who use the saying "because I'm _____ like that"
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By FlyingRat

Sounds to me like someone else needs to get over himself.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By PixelPrinny

Because the best way to make an anti-social person change is to tell them, "You're not like me and you need to change because I don't the way you are". 

Truly, a more brilliant article has never been written and published. Give this author a medal. I especially love the part where he completely defeats his argument in the "I will grant you this" paragraph. Apparently putting up with an unprecedented level of banality is worth it because you can use it as a calendar.  Yay?

All the power to people who use it. I certainly don't hate Facebook, I just don't need it  (though I do hate retards who think everyone needs to use it, hence the hostility of this reply).

Edit: In hindsight that whole article seems to be a big trolling attempt. Bravo, he got me.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Portis

I don't have one, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

But at the same time, I just don't know what I'd do with it.