Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Sup the best community known as the giantbomb...community. My hairline is receding and I ain't gonna give into it, because I don't negotiate with terrorists. No treatments, no snake oils, no fucking around. Taking it off, wanted to shave it but my family and friends persuaded me not to, so I'll go with the next best thing - buzz cut. I'm 18 and I'm fucking going bald and fuck my genes (that brought me nothing but baldness and a predisposition for alcoholism, if wikipedia is to be believed), but I'm actually kind of excited for this.

So any other duders in a similar position? Any tips or advice for rocking a really short/shaved haircut where as once you only had long hair? What was the feedback and were you happy with your new look?

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By wordfalling

I was in a similar situation this spring, had very long hair and it is now about 1/8". Gotten nothing but compliments since. Never had my hair this short but I like it and showering and getting ready in the morning is a lot faster.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I used to have relatively long hair when I was teenager and honestly shaving most of it off was probably the best idea given that it's such a pain in the ass to maintain not to mention that it looked awful in retrospect. My suggestion is to just do it and see how comfortable you are with it, if not, wear a lot of hats like I do (preferably at the same time.)

Alternatively, wear wig.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Phr4nk0

I went from long past-the-shoulders hair to a buzz cut before, not for any real reason. Now 4+ years later I'm back at long past-the-shoulder length hair again. I'm planning to sign up to the police force soon so I'll once again be buzzed in the near future. I think I've had 3 or 4 haircuts total in the last 10 years, if it were up to me I'd stay at long but if I go through with joining the police I don't really have a say in it.

I dunno, don't worry about it. Short hair looks fine on everybody, only a select few can rock the long hair. I was just worried that if I didn't like it that I would have to spend years with varying lengths of hair before getting back to where I wanted it, but if you aren't going back or have no choice (bald, work) then there isn't really anything to worry about.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Genkkaku

Yep.. The exact same boat as you, 23 now but it started going about 1-2 years ago.. I kinda wish I never cut my long hair, I did before I noticed I was balding, but since shaving it down (the sides down to a 1 and leave a little on the top) It looks better.. I kinda wish I was able to rock the shaved head a la Bruce Willis/ Jason Statham, but hopefully after a year at the gym..

I say cut it short, embrace it and roll with it!

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@eroticfishcake said:

Alternatively, wear wig.

Never. I don't care how ugly I may be with short hair/no hair, there's just no theoretical chance that that will happen. But i definitely agree about the long hair though, even though some people said it looked good, it wasn't manly.

@Genkkaku: I already did accept it, I'm kind of good at adapting like that I guess. Only have to see how it'll look, and definitely have to start working out more. Gonna go running tomorrow.

@Phr4nk0: Have fun beating innocent African Americans. Nah, just messin'. I've got great respect for people who want to protect and serve. So yeah, respect.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By supamon

Short hair isn't that big of deal once you get used to it. Might even look better once you let it grow out abit. I had to shave my hair when I went into the army( not USA) and it was really weird for me since the shape of my head didn't let me rock a shaved look. Heck it's a lot easier in the shower and cuts down on shampoo usage too!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@TheDudeOfGaming: I started losing my hair when I was just a tad older than you are now, but it actually turned out to be an undiagnosed infection. Fortunately, after dealing with all of that for a few years, my hair was back to normal. So, I don't have any experience with a buzzcut, just with the feeling of your hair coming out when you're young. Having longer hair can certainly be a hassle, especially as you get older; so, I imagine you'll be able to make the best of having shorter hair. Good luck with it! :)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Morrow

sendpix

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Genkkaku

@TheDudeOfGaming: That's good, it took me a bit to accept (mainly since my brother has the complete opposite hair of me) but I got over it.. I'll admit when I played Max Payne and saw him rocking the shaved head and the beard, I decided that's my plan when I get in shape..

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ExplodeMode

We all have a period where we transition from kid haircuts to adult haircuts, you'll figure out what you like - just remember no one is paying as much attention to your hair as you are.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By eroticfishcake

@TheDudeOfGaming: That's just a wasted opportunity if you're not going to wear a wig. Think about, you could totally troll your colleagues by wearing a different wig each day! Well, if you're not going to do that then you could at least wear a bra on your head and run into your sibling's room screaming. That worked out well for me once.

@Morrow said:

sendpix

Or GTFO?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

Shave your head, grow a beard and move to Sao Paulo. Murdering a bunch of dudes is optional but recommended.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Philantrophy

I had to keep my hair short in the army, now I will let it run free. I would hold off on shaving your head, not many can run with a shaved head.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazielCuts
Do it
Do it
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Morrow: No pix, the beautiful thing that allows me to be truthful on the internet is the fact that I'm anonymous. Sorry.

@Genkkaku: Bro, rock that shaved head look, know why? Because

You're a man...although the dude from Black Strobe has awesome, thick hair. lucky sonuvabitch

@Genkkaku: So here's the thing. Personally I like my very short haircut way more than my long luscious hair. Just like it more, the only problem is that my uncle had a really shitty electric trimmer and it's uneven, so I'll have to complete it with scissors. Still, even uneven it looks awesome to me. It's just so short, It'll take some getting used to.

@Philantrophy: I'm gonna go to my dad's, see his reaction because he's proven to be pretty honest and objective in the past. Trust the old dude with my life, anyway I really like it. I'm no Bruce Willis/Jason Statham/Samuel L. Jackson but I think it suits me.

@ExplodeMode: Yeah, realized that today. Well I'm close to 19 so it's time for me to stop fucking around with puberty stages.

@mandude: I think I'm going to find a whole new appreciation for Max Payne 3....once I upgrade my PC.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inkerman

I haven't buzzed (yet) but I am slowly going bald, just really started to notice this year. It's annoying because I really like my hair. However this year I've started cutting it really short. I get a number 4 along the sides and back, and cut the top just above a number 4. I reckon I'll cut it more and more as I bald. Right now I'm growing it a bit because I want to spike up my hair for Halloween.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gamefreak9

@RazielCuts said:

Do it
Do it

is that the same dude? WTF!

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@gamefreak9 said:

@RazielCuts said:

Do it
Do it

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gamefreak9

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@RazielCuts said:

Do it
Do it

thx for the confirmation. I can now confirm buzz cuts are insanely cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short hair is awesome, the shorter the better!

Damn the long-haired naysayers! Short hair is the way of the future!

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By roborobb

Don't get me wrong, long hair is great. But the moment you notice you're balding, cut it all off. There's nothing worse than a man in denial.

No Caption Provided
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PillClinton

light buzz, then wax it. nice 'n' shiny. be your friends' personal mirror.

actually, I have zero experience with that and balding, thank goodness. I hope that continues.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Genkkaku

@TheDudeOfGaming: Haha that is a reason as good as any.. Yeah happened to me when I got my bro to trim mine, he is terrible with a shaver and I had to get a hairdresser to fix it but defiantly looks better

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By baconbutty

I'm 28 and i'm going seriously bald. Not all the way yet, but it's definately on its way, and it's a difficult thing to deal with. I've never been super confident about how I look anyway, and the thought of being forced to buzz my hair off is a little terrifying.

My brother, who is also going bald, is in total denial, and looks fucking ridiculous. He Combs what little wisps he has left on top, all the way forward to try and force a fringe, but it looks terrible.

When people see that, they thing "he's in denial and looks terrible". When people see a buzzed/shaved head they see a man in control.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@BaconBuTTy: You know what they say, when life gives you lemons you shave your head and rock that shit like a boss even if it doesn't look all that great. Trust me, it's far better than any alternative unless you're ready to throw away a couple of thousand bucks for a quality hair transplant, that might not look that good in the end.

No Caption Provided

Far as I'm concerned he looked better in the pre-op.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TobbRobb

Always be buzzcut. Long hair is just a pain. Short haired men unite!

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By haffy

When I see people with long hair, I really don't understand how they can be arsed to keep it clean.

I'm 23, not going bald at all, but haven't had long hair since about 16. At this point I think I'd actually be happy to be going bald.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Funkydupe

Go ahead! I might do the same. I'm tired of how insanely expensive it is to get a haircut in my city.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By psylah

Been shaving my own head for years now, basically down to a zero on a pair of clippers.

I was paying $24 to get my hair cut during my lunch break at work, then I paid $20 for a pair of clippers and have saved INFINITE MONEY.

Also, now I look sexy and suave.

Thanks Giant Bomb!

P.S.: I shave my head because the longer my hair gets the drier and flakier my scalp would get, it was horrible.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By psylah

@RoboRobb said:

Don't get me wrong, long hair is great. But the moment you notice you're balding, cut it all off. There's nothing worse than a man in denial.

No Caption Provided

Is this that Skrillex gentleman I've been hearing so much about?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've had the buzzcut for most of my life because my hair looks wild and unkept as soon as it gets remotely long. I used to hate it when I was younger but I've grown to like it 'cause it takes like five minutes to get a haircut and you can even do it yourself to save on haircuts.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShockD

You're going skinhead?

Awesome!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By 49th

I came super close to getting it all shaved off during the summer, I literally changed my mind on the way to the barber though.

I still sort of want to get a buzzcut but I'm just nervous about how it will look. The last time I had hair that short was when I was a baby.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tunaburn

i started having a receding hairline at 22 years old. eventually i just shaved it really really really short. best thing i could of done. itll take a while to get used to it, but then youll wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

Shave that shit off and grow a sick beard to even it out. Don't forget the sunscreen, though.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Sounds like your in a Wayne Rooney situation

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By buzz_killington

Yup. 19 and thinning. I full-buzz with no clips, and I actually think I look better with it. I did go clean shave a couple of times, and that looks good too, but the hassle of missing spots and etc means I'll be buzzing for now. I'm only scared of when the hair has thinned-out enough that even with a shaved head, the horse-shoe hairline showes, but for now, I'm fine.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chop

I wore my hair medium length, shaggy as shit until I was 22 years old. I finally decided, fuck it, and buzzed it. I've since kept it short because unless you're one of VERY, VERY few men, you'll look better with short hair.

So, uhh, I guess...good riddance?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#40  Edited By Hailinel

Do as Ben Franklin would do and rock the skullet.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By vaiz

I buzz my hair on a regular basis, it's liberating. Your head feels like 3x lighter, and you look 10x more intimidating by default. I mean, look at Adam Sessler. Dude shaved his head, grew a bear, and now I wouldn't fuck with him. I wouldn't fuck with him anyway, because he's Adam Sessler.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheDudeOfGaming: Baldness runs in my family. I'm 27 and already seeing more forehead than I used to have. I've been buzzing my hair for years. Feels good man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punkxblaze said:

I mean, look at Adam Sessler. Dude shaved his head, grew a bear, and now I wouldn't fuck with him. I wouldn't fuck with him anyway, because he's Adam Sessler.

Damn, hardcore.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MikkaQ

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Sup the best community known as the giantbomb...community. My hairline is receding and I ain't gonna give into it, because I don't negotiate with terrorists. No treatments, no snake oils, no fucking around. Taking it off, wanted to shave it but my family and friends persuaded me not to, so I'll go with the next best thing - buzz cut. I'm 18 and I'm fucking going bald and fuck my genes (that brought me nothing but baldness and a predisposition for alcoholism, if wikipedia is to be believed), but I'm actually kind of excited for this.

So any other duders in a similar position? Any tips or advice for rocking a really short/shaved haircut where as once you only had long hair? What was the feedback and were you happy with your new look?

I have the same problem. I'm 20 now and my hairline is receding. I'm starting to get like Will Arnett style hair, which means I'm cutting it shorter and shorter so it looks good. It's annoying because I used to have crazy rock n' roll Jimmy Page hair.

My solution? I just go to really high-end salons because they know what to do with hairlines like that more than a barber. I trust the pros.

Although I've been told by those cats that it's reversible because it's not traditional baldness. They say I'm just shedding a lot because of poor nutrition and that I need more vitamins in my diet. Maybe that's your problem?

@RazielCuts said:

Do it
Do it

I think the funny part is that looks exactly like those comparisons of police photos of meth addicts from their first arrest to like a couple years down the line.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jrinswand

I had a shaved head for about a year or so but I eventually had to regrow my hair because I looked like a skinhead. I'm sure the Doc Martens and black metal t-shirts didn't help either.

Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Navyseils

I'm not yet going bald, but I have been alternating between the long hair and totally shaven look since my teens. I'm just lazy. Don't like doing anything with it, can't be bothered getting it cut.

But while the difference can be quite striking the first few times someone sees you, they get over it quickly. So fear not, just shave it off.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Funkydupe

I keep seeing more and more of this type of haircut on women lately. They be Buzzin' too.

Ok the picture was bigger than I thought. Still!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Akyho
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PeasantAbuse

If you have long hair in 2012 you are doing it wrong.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By McGhee

@TheDudeOfGaming:

I buzzed my hair close with no guard for years and recently just started doing a close shave. Seriously, forget about what people tell you and just start shaving it close now. The look isn't that much different. It just looks cleaner and a little bit more badass.