KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Nation (and Nations not in America), 

I'm surfing the internets this weekend, and a beautiful girl named Amy Pond caught my eyes.  I found out she's part of a show called Doctor Who, so I decide to go to my Netflix and I find out that I can watch the first three seasons of Doctor Who.  

So, I spend this Sunday and earlier Saturday watching Doctor Who.  I have to say I am impressed that the show isn't that bad.  I'm still on the first season but it's kinda of absurd and doesn't have the same quality of video as other American drama have.  The first episode of Doctor Who deals with plastic hands and stuff taking over the human race, and some other stuff...I was lost, but I kept at it. 

The jokes are alright, it's what I expected from British jokes and just isn't my cup of tea (excuse the pun my fellow Americans).  When compared to other American dramas like The Office, 24, 30 Rock, LOST, and Heroes (first season)...I have to say it's easily there as it caught my eyes. 

I will admit my fellow Americans, this show is new to me and a lot of the lingo is flying over.  I never understood why Doctor Who is so popular there, but then again British citizens might wonder the same about our love for Superman and Rocky.   

The blonde girl (I think her name is Rose), is alright...and she's no Amy Pond, but it's okay.  The story is alright too, a bit confusing at times but it's okay.    

I highly recommend all other Americans to check out the show.  Some of the few problems I have are that it isn't in HD, the accents are a bit annoying at times when they scream and stuff, some of the stuff might fly over one's head, and it touches the absurd at times.  

Still, it got me hooked, as for that I salute the show.   Expect a list of something Doctor Who top 5 once I finally get up to Amy Pond's character.   

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

British humor is king.

That is all.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zimbo

I'm British and I don't like Doctor Who. I can't stand much of British drama actually. I'm way more into American shows. I only just started watching 24 a few weeks ago and I'm already at season 4. It's great. 

British comedy shows will always reign supreme though. ALWAYS!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Gizmo

As a Brit who loves American TV (Twin Peaks, Lost, X-Files etc), I found anything past Series One of the Dr Who reboot (with Christopher Eccleston) tacky and unwatchable.  My 7 year old cousin is obsessed with the show though, so it must be ticking a box with the kids, right?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By raiz265

I've seen then german dubbed version a couple of times... It's just horrible...

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

I prefer Doctor Strange.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

I wonder if you'll drop out of school. How's that going...

Avatar image for altf4_for_colors
ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

This reminds me I need to finish watching The IT Crowd.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

...let me get this straight, you Brits prefer our American shows over your British ones?  The only one I have ever watched was IT Squad and Balls of Steel, I love Balls of Steel and press for TV stations in America to play it. 

I'm only watching Doctor Who to see more of Amy Pond. 

@Zimbo: 24 is indeed a fantastic show, it fuels my freedom daily and I have been on covert missions with Jack Bower a few times as we fought communist bears. 
@Gizmo: Are you implying a joke with only kids enjoying Doctor Who?

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look for Torchwood too, it's a spin-off show. Vinny's quite fond of it too I think. The Matt Smith series (with Karen Gillan as "Amy Pond") fair's better, though David Tennant has left huge shoes for Matt to fill and he's doing fine in the role.

There are shows that do British humour a lot better but most of then ended years ago. But that's another topic. 

Get used to the accents though, it's very London centric. Torchwood has the delights of the Welsh accent :D

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

The thing is it's kinda meant for kids. adults like to tell themselves that it's for them but it airs at like 5.30 pm on a saturday afternoon and is marketed  mainly at children. It's meant to be a bit campy and a bit silly. It's a ton of fun but you can't really compare it to The Office or anything like that. 
That said me and Karen Gillan are to be wed one day. *sigh*
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zimbo
@ALTF4_FOR_COLORS said:
" This reminds me I need to finish watching The IT Crowd. "
The IT Crowd is one of the best comedy shows I have ever watched. I love it. Yet saying that, I still haven't watched the latest season.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ape_dosmil
@Gizmo said:
" As a Brit who loves American TV (Twin Peaks, Lost, X-Files etc), I found anything past Series One of the Dr Who reboot (with Christopher Eccleston) tacky and unwatchable.  My 7 year old cousin is obsessed with the show though, so it must be ticking a box with the kids, right? "
Weird. I Didn't like Christopher Eccleston's Dr Who, but I loved David Tennant and think Matt Smith is decent.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
@Atomasist: @RhombusOfTerror: Sweet, that's on Netflix Instant Streaming too...I shall add them to my Q.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@Zimbo said:
" @ALTF4_FOR_COLORS said:
" This reminds me I need to finish watching The IT Crowd. "
The IT Crowd is one of the best comedy shows I have ever watched. I love it. Yet saying that, I still haven't watched the latest season. "
I agree on this too, I have watched them on Netflix a countless number of times.  It your British skills at their best....or should I say second best, as Balls of Steels is the best thing you guys have ever made.
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I watched a few episodes of Doctor Who, couldn't get into it, never watched it again dunno why maybe its just the way the British do things? i can get into American/Canadian sci fi shows or comedy shows just fine :(

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hicks91

right we get it 
you like amy pond 
serious non trolling suggestion: crack one off 
seriously

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ape_dosmil
@KaosAngel said:
" ...let me get this straight, you Brits prefer our American shows over your British ones? "
When it comes to drama American stuff is usually better yeah. There's nothing British made that is of the quality of the kind of thing HBO or someone like that produces. I think Channel 4 in the UK is the only channel producing decent British adult drama anymore. I like Dr Who, but it's essentially family viewing.
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ComradeKritstov

I'm an American that loves Doctor Who. Definitely one of my favorite sci-fi shows. Have watched the first 3 series of the reboot and it's just plain fun, just wait till you get to the episode entitled "Blink" in the third season.  One of my favorites.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Snipzor

I love Doctor Who... now the question is this. Was I a bad person for squealing like a fangirl whenever John Barrowman was on the screen along with David Tennant? Yes, yes I was. Same goes for everytime I see someone have hair like Tom Baker.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
@KaosAngel said:

" When compared to other American dramas like The Office, 24, 30 Rock, LOST, and Heroes (first season)... "

Okay, this sentence is just flat out confusing to me. Are you being facetious by calling The Office and 30 Rock dramas? And I don't think Doctor Who is so much a drama as much as it is a sci-fi action adventure with pinpricks of wry comedic moments.

I watched a lot of Doctor Who as a kid, and never missed an episode. Do Americans ever go back and watch any of the older series, such as the ones starring Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker?

EDIT: I'm an Aussie, for the record.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hicks91

the office is english isnt it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I like the new Dr. Who series but my heart will always belong to the extremely low budget special effects and the awesomeness that was Tom Baker's long ass run as The Doctor.  

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
@buzz_clik: I constantly watch old episodes of Firefly and 24 time to time if that counts...and 30 Rock is a drama, it does have a central story...as does The Office.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TomWhitbrook

New Dr Who is a more than solid programme, blessed with a larger budget and more effort put into it than most shows like it would get. It's certainly not my favourite of Auntie's recent output, and I'm certainly not as big a fan of it as some in my family, but it's pretty good.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fallen189

Try the English version of the office. The real one. 

And the Tom Baker Dr Who stuff.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#28  Edited By Jazz
@KaosAngel said:
" Nation (and Nations not in America),  I'm surfing the internets this weekend, and a beautiful girl named Amy Pond caught my eyes.  I found out she's part of a show called Doctor Who, so I decide to go to my Netflix and I find out that I can watch the first three seasons of Doctor Who.   So, I spend this Sunday and earlier Saturday watching Doctor Who.  I have to say I am impressed that the show isn't that bad.  I'm still on the first season but it's kinda of absurd and doesn't have the same quality of video as other American drama have.  The first episode of Doctor Who deals with plastic hands and stuff taking over the human race, and some other stuff...I was lost, but I kept at it.  The jokes are alright, it's what I expected from British jokes and just isn't my cup of tea (excuse the pun my fellow Americans).  When compared to other American dramas like The Office, 24, 30 Rock, LOST, and Heroes (first season)...I have to say it's easily there as it caught my eyes.  I will admit my fellow Americans, this show is new to me and a lot of the lingo is flying over.  I never understood why Doctor Who is so popular there, but then again British citizens might wonder the same about our love for Superman and Rocky.    The blonde girl (I think her name is Rose), is alright...and she's no Amy Pond, but it's okay.  The story is alright too, a bit confusing at times but it's okay.     I highly recommend all other Americans to check out the show.  Some of the few problems I have are that it isn't in HD, the accents are a bit annoying at times when they scream and stuff, some of the stuff might fly over one's head, and it touches the absurd at times.   Still, it got me hooked, as for that I salute the show.   Expect a list of something Doctor Who top 5 once I finally get up to Amy Pond's character.    "
I think the fact you list 'the office' as a drama says everything.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel
@Jazz: Man, The Office is a drama!  At least the American version is, it has a single plot story going forward in the seasons!   

@Fallen189: I tried the "real version" of the Office, it was okay but IT Squad was better.
JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JammyJesus

If you like Doctor Who, you might be interested in downloading the 3 part series "Sherlock" that has just aired here about a month back. It's a modern day re-imagening of some Sherlock Holmes tales and it's rather good. Next series won't be out till this time next year though, so no rush :P It's nice when you get something like that is british TV, instead of all the reality show muck that most of the brainless scum in the UK eat up. 

With regard to british TV comedy, shows like the IT crowd are fine, but Balls of Steel is fucking atrocious. If you want to see the prime of british comedy you need to check out the stand up circuts. People like Ross Noble make my heart explode with joy when we live in a period of stale recycled shitty tv sitcoms and sketch shows. He has a DVD out of all his shows from 2003's Sonic Waffle and every one of them is a fucking treat to watch. Most of them come with an extra bonus show (Il post a link to show you what his style is like, you will understand when i say that two of his shows are never the same). One of his DVDs, Randomist, has about 5 full shows on it, so so good. Anyway, just check the clips out below. I don't think he tours the US but hes constantly touring australia if you can catch him there.  

And heres the trailer for Sherlock that i mentioned before. 

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By cap123

Cool that you can appreciate it, it doesn't have the glamour of american shows but it still has its moments of good writing and ideas that overcome the budget.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By babblinmule
@KaosAngel said:

" @Jazz: Man, The Office is a drama!  At least the American version is, it has a single plot story going forward in the seasons!   

I'm not convinced that's what makes a drama a drama, because following that logic, shows like the Big Bang Theory and Friends are drama's as they have a loose overarching plotline.

Also if youre going to watch Doctor Who, i recommend watching the recent Matt Smith stuff - the Eccleston and Tennant episodes were a bit..... cringe worthy at times.
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Only one episode of Doctor Who that I thought was good, "Blink". Watch that. But why are you going to Doctor Who for comedy? It's definately not that.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By korwin

I <3 Dr Who.  That is all.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Dylabaloo

I think Doctor Who is a great olde show but its kinda my guilty pleasure. As others have mentioned blink is a fantastic episode. Been recently getting into Firefly and god its beyond me why that show was cancelled!!! 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@Dylabaloo: FOX hates money.
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZimboDK

Doctor Who is absolutely amazing. It's by far one of my all time favorite shows. Regarding specific episodes: watch everything written by Steven Moffat, they're fantastic. He won a BAFTA for Blink, a Hugo award for The Girl In The Fireplace (my favorite episode), plus awards for Silence In The Library/Forest of The Dead plus The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. He was also a writer on the three episode series "Sherlock", which I'm hoping will turn into a full show.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By alternate

I love how you yanks think you are so cultured and brave if you watch any movie or TV show that wasn't made in the US.  I bet those who indulge in subtitled movies walk around all day feeling smug. :D

Joking aside.  You have a point on the production values - but that comes from making a whole series (season) for about the same money as one episode of Lost (actually, probably less than that).  I think it is shot in HD now so they might have to spend a bit more on props.  Also check out The Kevin Bishop Show, not especially funny but does feature the actress you seem to like so much (she is pretty, for a ginger).

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By buzz_clik
@bartok said:
" I like the new Dr. Who series but my heart will always belong to the extremely low budget special effects and the awesomeness that was Tom Baker's long ass run as The Doctor.   "
Yeah boyeee. Jelly baby?
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GreggD
@Zimbo: The IT Crowd, yes? Of course, what right-minded person wouldn't like that show.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

Then a poster named Abyssful said: Hey, fuck you! 

But yeah, I'm not so keen into Doctor Who. My nan quite likes it, but she's a complete dope who'll watch anything that has enough pretty lights and gadgets.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hyuzen

I just started watching  doctor who this season and I love it. I don't think i'll go back to older seasons anytime soon because i have too much other stuff to do but maybe at some future date. 
It takes a certain level of suspension of disbelief, especially with all the time travel stuff that often doesn't make sense. that an daleks are kind of a cheesy ultimate villain 

Avatar image for deactivated-5806ee571ffac
deactivated-5806ee571ffac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved watching the old doctor who show when I was a kid. I used to watch it on PBS all the time, can't stand the new show though.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By habster3
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
"British humor is king.  That is all. "
Agreed; I may be from the U.S., but I love some good British humor.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KaosAngel
@habster3 said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
Agreed; I may be from the U.S., but I love some good British humor. "
I keep hearing this, but the only shows I found funny were IT Squad and Balls of Steel...on average I just don't get it.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By habster3
@KaosAngel said:
" @habster3 said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
Agreed; I may be from the U.S., but I love some good British humor. "
I keep hearing this, but the only shows I found funny were IT Squad and Balls of Steel...on average I just don't get it. "
I don't really watch British television, but I do love some good British films (i.e. Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), and I, for the most part, love the work of Ricky Gervais.
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aounslaught

This is extremely scary, sir. Because as it just so happens, not 2 hours ago, I was thinking about making a thread on Giant Bomb regarding me[an American], watching Dr. Who. 

BBC America was on free preview for a couple of days and I had heard the name Dr. Who on more than one occasion so I sat down to watch a couple of episodes and was incredibly intrigued. Throughout my life, I've only watched two British TV Shows - Top Gear and Mr. Bean - both of which I absolutely ADORE. 

Anyway, the episodes that I caught were the ones where the doctor travels like 3000 years in the future onto a ship that had several portals to this one girls life in 17th century France. The second episode that I saw was one where the doctor travels to 1950's(?) England where everyone's buying dirt cheap televisions, but it turns out that the televisions were being controlled by something called "The Wire" and wanted to feast on everyone's faces. 

Watching these two episodes, a couple of questions arose in my mind and was hoping to get them answered by the good British folk on Giant Bomb. Since both episodes show the doctor and his companions getting to a new time and place, what time and place do they belong to? Like, what's the doctor's, Rose's, and Mickey's homeworld/home"time"? 
Next, the little pen tool that belongs to the doctor - What is it's exact function. Watching the two episodes, it wasn't entirely clear as to what it actually does. It sort of felt that it did whatever the doctor needed it to do.
I also had a couple of questions regarding the show as a whole. How does it work? Like, is it like every episode is its own story and when the episode wraps up, that particular story wraps up, or is there an overarching storyline that spans the season/series? Watching these two episodes, I got a very distinct "Twilight Zone" vibe. Is that an accurate  correlation to make? 

Also, I'd just like to say that David Tennant's British accent when he's screaming is AMAZING. I've always maintained that the British accent is by far the best accent to have out there, and this just proves it, in my mind.

EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EvilMuffin

I lived in the UK for a year and a half and could not stand any of their TV shows. I did enjoy their radio (BBC 1) however. One thing I liked the most was that they had far less commercials on TV than here. I rather pay 5 quid (roughly $8) a month to have less or no (on local stations) commercials.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed the TV show, Coupling.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KaosAngel
@habster3: Ricky Gervais is a mockery of what Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, and Steve Carell have done. 
@h83r: You and I share the same questions, good sir.  Scary indeed. 

@EvilMuffin: Trust me, we got loads of commercials here in the states.  Every 30 minutes we get 10 minutes worth of crap.
Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chuggsy

Dr. Who is amazingly fun. If you go in with a good attitude it's one of the best show's on TV. You have to be in the right mood to watch it though I think. Just my opinion.

Also some of the finales get a little muddled up and over complicated, but that's just my opinion again. But overall I love the show.

And here's a picture of me (middle) girlfriend (to my left) and friend with full sized cardboard cutouts of David Tennant! :D

No Caption Provided