I'm Looking For Some Advice About Web Development

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm starting a website to act as my game design portfolio. I've got a domain and web hosting set up with Godaddy (I realize that there are probably better places, but I'm familiar with it and its simple) and now I'm trying to figure out how to make the site. The only tools that I have worked with before are little bits of Wordpress, HTML and Flash. 

I want to make a site with a blog, a place to put writing samples and another one for documents (text, pictures and spreadsheets) relating to the majour project that I am working on, which needs to be in some easily browsable format. I'd also like it to be distinctive looking, but not overly complicated.

I tried fiddling with Wordpress for it but I've found that all Wordpress sites LOOK like Wordpress sites, which I find looks somewhat unprofessional. I need something easy to use, which I realize limits my options.  I'm sure we must have a few web developers on here, can anybody recommend a good place to start?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

Tumblr? I don't know man, I wouldn't have sprung for the web hosting if I didn't know how to do a website myself. Maybe pay someone to do your site?

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By blackbird415

try working with dreamweaver if you can get a copy. It helps that you have experience with html because thats basically what its doing. 

HTML and flash are very good things to know for building a website.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

I would use Wordpress as a base and just customize the shit out of it, otherwise you're either going to end up paying someone or spending a lot of time yourself.

Alternatively, I really like Drupal.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cnlmullen

Wordpress (and Movable Type) are extremely flexible and can look professional (that's what a lot of professionals use). I'd look for a website that accomplishes what you are trying to accomplish, and learn enough about how CSS works to mimic it in Wordpress. Find a theme that is close to the website you want to imitate and tinker until you've got what you want.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nintendoeats
@artofwar420:@blackbird415:@benjaebe: Thanks, I will look in to these options.
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By slax

I know this might not be exactly what you are looking for but HTML Dog was what helped me get started in website design and creation. Check it out, it might help you fill out your word press design if that's the path you choose.  

Using something like Dreamweaver although easy to use will get you a really bloated website with code that isn't very optimized. But that might not matter, and because of it's simplicity it might be the better choice. So it's totally up to you.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nintendoeats
@Slax: That looks really helpful, thanks :)
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WickedFather

Get a good CMS.  Joomla, get some templates and personolise them in Photoshop or something.  90% of the work is already done for you.

http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?pagenumber=1

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2