I'm looking to branch out in my music tastes?

• 80 results
VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By VarkhanMB

I know, I know, I'm suggesting more metal, but oh well. Most of it is black metal (I'm balls deep in that shit, for now) or variations of the style.

The new album "Wisdom of Centuries" by Khors. "Years Past Matter" by Krallice, "Funeral Mouth" by Planks (it mixes sludge and black metal elements, pretty sweet stuff). "Eternal Kingdom" by Cult of Luna (more sludge), "Red Fang" by Red Fang, "A Shadowplay of Yesterdays" by Forest of Stars (more experimental black metal I guess?). The self-titled album by Kvelertak (hardcore meets hair-metal meets black metal. fucking great record if you don't have it yet). "The Great Mass" by Septic Flesh (one of my favourite albums ever). In case you've been living under a rock, Ihsahn (ex-Emperor) has a new album, but it's not as good as the 2010 release "After" (saxophone in my metal? yes please!)

In other genres, I'd recommend what Ryan pimped a while back on twitter. DJ East Coast Rapist does some nasty dubstep with heavy drops and pretty long tracks. Zomboy is basically a new Skrillex, but less annoying I'd say. If you're into hip-hop try Madvillain (MF DOOM + Madlib), JJ DOOM (Jneiro Jarel + MF DOOM) for some trippy shit, and for some more... 'traditional' stuff go with Jedi Mind Tricks, but I'd recommend mostly Army of the Pharaohs (they're basically the same people). Look for the albums "Ritual of Battle" and "Unholy Terror".

Lastly, check out the FEZ soundtrack if you haven't, by Disasterpeace and "O' Be Joyful" by the alt-folk duo Shovels & Rope

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Pretty much listening to Warpaint nonstop these days, I find every single one of their songs incredible.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Lemmycaution217

@Djnuttty: Do you have a last.fm? Might be easier to recommend you some stuff if I know what bands you already listen to.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By donkeycow

If you're looking for something a bit different maybe give Old Crow Medicine Show a listen. They are a blue grass inspired band that has a pretty interesting sound, i've been listening to them quite a bit the last month.

If you like them maybe also give Trampled by Turtles a listen.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I've been listening mostly to metal for 9 years....

Then I took a Nas to the ears and he almost single-handedly converted me to a rap lover

This man has the best rapping voice IMO, powerful and steady, and he makes words explode in your ears. He doesn't have the fake acting and boasting or overly sexual and violent talk of most popular rappers, he's REAL, and he speaks wisdom or tells terrific stories.

max_mischi3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By max_mischi3f

I love old crow, but I will seriously murder any motherfucker that asks me to play that damn song. It's like the Freebird of new folk music.

edwardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By edwardt

I'm just going to say it. Late Romantic French organ music...

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By FightMeNerd

Try some delicious bit/glitch with the amazing Anamanaguchi

If you played Lollipop Chainsaw or Saints Row The Third you might know this one

Silent Hill Horror Dupstep

And finally ponies

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By donkeycow

@max_mischi3f said:

I love old crow, but I will seriously murder any motherfucker that asks me to play that damn song. It's like the Freebird of new folk music.

It's a good song, sure it's been a bit over done but for people who aren't familiar with the band its a good place to start.

HulkHanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By HulkHanson

Check out The Naked and Famous for some pop-rock, with electronica influences. I've been listening to a bit of Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation recently as well, some good stuff there. Oh, and John Frusciante solo material, in particular Curtains or Shadows Collide With People, both of them are good places to start.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Karl_Boss

How about some electronic music: Matthew Dear, Rustie, Hot Chip, Neon Indian, Gold Panda, Caribou, Four Tet

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BL1TZKRI3G: Been listening to Zomboy for a little while. I agree, Pretty much the new skrillex.

Dunklekuh81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dunklekuh81

The Mountain Goats!!!

InfamousNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By InfamousNose

I like classical music, mainly in the baroque style. Antonio Vivaldi.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By penguindust
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CaptainCody

@Tylea002 said:

Slightly older pop music is the best way to branch out. All your current metal has been influenced by some of that, and it's like going backwards in the musical tree, then from there you can take other modern branches. But really, just go into spotify, choose a radio of any kind and go crazy. Don't be afraid to skip, but listen if you like it. You'll find stuff.

Also just listen to Ska. It's always awesome.

Perfect answer.

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gametrkr

Lady Gaga is all you need

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Tool, Perfect Circle, early Pearl Jam, Dookie (Green Day), Queens of the Stone Age, Soundgarden, Wolf Mother, Epica, Eminem if you really wanna go out there, and then a whole lot of classical music. Really just search for "cello" on a music service. Flogging Molly is pretty great. ind the Drive OST too, so goddamn good.

Any Howard Shore soundtrack, same with Marty O'Donnell. Very listenable. Maybe John Williams, particularly Star Wars but I find most don't find them to be all that listenable on their own, for whatever reason.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By dillonwerner

I'm coming out of hibernation...But anyways, these are dope songs. I used to listen to mostly metal but now I listen to everything really.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Aronman789
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#71  Edited By Little_Socrates

I always recommend My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Songs in the Key of Life.

Also, if you wanna hear something that could've been the greatest album ever recorded if the man writing it hadn't gone completely goddamn insane, check out The Smile Sessions.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By lego_my_eggo
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By innacces14

@Djnuttty: Try Trip Hop/Downtempo music. Only band I could recommend is Massive Attack sense I'm barely getting into it. Think "The Matrix" and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim black screen.

Chalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Chalian

Anything? ok

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By inknail

As if you need any more suggestions, but here we go. Since you mention metal, electronic, and rap, I might suggest Infected Mushroom to you. They've got some good variety within their albums and are generally really good listens.

If you want to try something more upbeat and a little different in terms of electronic, I'd suggest listening to Renard's stuff, but it's sometimes hard to find the right match since he has some pretty varied experiments, so here's two good ones made recently.

If you happened to like Disinfect the Dead, the style of that song is pretty heavily influenced by The Mad Capsule Markets and Wagdug.

Interested in jazz? I highly recommend Pat Metheny Group (or maybe Scatman John for something more upbeat and electronic-y)

Lastly, since it just released recently, if you're looking for something more mellow and easy on the ears I'd recommend checking out Casey LaLonde's new album here: http://caseylalonde.bandcamp.com/album/paper-heart-ep

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I did the same thing years ago. I'm still way into death metal and metal in general, but a few years of horizon broadening has found me some seriously awesome music. Never keep your ears closed because of your perceptions. Let music be itself and enjoy it for what it is.

Anyways, pop/singer-songwriters incoming!

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By beepmachine

@SirPsychoSexy: Warpaint are so good. I remember listening to their EP a few years ago and loving the shit out of it. I had no idea they released an album, so thanks!

OP, I'm not really sure what you'll like. The only thing related to pop I've listened to in forever is Lykke Li. She's Swedish and her latest album is pop but the songs are quite dark. She uses a lot of really interesting percussion and is like the perfect blend of pop and art house to me. Her stuff sort of ranges from danceable and dark to melancholy.

This is probably my favourite song of hers:

The Chromatics have been my favourite band over the past year. I highly recommend them, especially their album Night Drive.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By emprpngn

I used to listen to a lot of metal too. Still into some of it, but lately I've gotten into a lot more laid-back, groove-focused music. Jazz, funk, jam bands, all that stuff.

Although, this is really all you need.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

I consider this to be the most brutal song ever. The fury of a thousand death metal bands couldn't match the hatred Phil Ochs spews forth in this song, and the honesty makes it even more crushing.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#80  Edited By lead_farmer

@Djnuttty: If you want hip hop, Clear Soul Forces are some guys in Detroit doin their thing. These guys need more exposure.