I'm looking to buy a car, and would love your advice!

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Hey all,

I've finally grown up, got a big-boy job, and have realized that my >10 year old car (which has a propensity to break down) won't do me any good - especially since my job needs me driving around a lot.

The short facts that you need to know: I'm in Canada, I'm looking to spend ~$35K (can go + $3k-ish if I really fall in love with the thing), and I'm looking to do it around November.Preferably I'll be looking for a new/lightly used sedan or wagon (no trucks plz, I live in a fairly farmer-heavy area and have developed a stigma towards trucks).

In terms of what I value, number one is probably Driver Experience. Comfort, a cool sound system, pleasant ride, and I'll lump acceleration in there (I do a lot of driving on one-lane highways, and acceleration matters when passing). Second is fuel efficiency, third is handling, and fourth is reliability.

There are a few cars I've been looking at, but I'd like to hear your opinions and see if any of them line up!!!

Thanks =D

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Subaru WRX or the STI? I'm a subaru fellow myself, so I may have a bias. You won't go wrong with a 4 cylinder with a turbo in it for acceleration. You could also just go with the 6-cylinder legacy if you're looking for a sedan. It drives pretty nicely and has pretty decent pickup.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subaru WRX or the STI? I'm a subaru fellow myself, so I may have a bias. You won't go wrong with a 4 cylinder with a turbo in it for acceleration. You could also just go with the 6-cylinder legacy if you're looking for a sedan. It drives pretty nicely and has pretty decent pickup.

Believe it or not, the WRX was actually at the top of my list haha. Good to know it comes recommended from third parties, as well =)

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

@earlessshrimp said:

Believe it or not, the WRX was actually at the top of my list haha. Good to know it comes recommended from third parties, as well =)

If you're looking to buy used, just know that the STI (and subarus in general) , started to have a few issues around 100,000 miles (160934.4km). Right at 100,000mi my STI started leaking. My brother-in-law (who is also my mechanic) said it was common for Subarus to start having issues at 100,000mi.

I can't recommend an AWD car enough. Just know, AWD systems require all four tires to be replaced at one time.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I definitely like the Subaru WRX myself. I will say that in some places the insurance on it will be a tad high especially if you're a young male compared to some other options. The Legacy is solid too. Subarus hold their value well and are great vehicles. I'd say 60% of the people where I work up in Washington state have one in their household. Great vehicles especially if you have to worry about icy conditions. Think the driver experience is solid as is handling and reliability.

Different class of vehicle but I thought I'd give a mention to the Hyundai Elantra. My wife has one and while it's not the most exciting vehicle in the world it has been reliable as hell with amazing fuel efficiency, reliability, great comfort, etc.. I found myself surprised by the amount of leg room for the rear passanger seats and the trunk space (seems bigger than the exterior would suggest). Her commute is 40 minutes each day and she drives her vehicle for work (she's a mental health professional) frequently. Again, not an exciting vehicle but she's had a great experience with it. Might meet your needs especially if you get an upgrade package of some sort.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By whitegreyblack

Funnily enough I was just coming in to espouse the virtues of the Subaru line-up (I'm a bit older, so I drive an Outback)! I am also a Canuck and I think the Subaru AWD system is hands-down the best for our roads and climate.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ichthy

I'm not really a car person, but everything I've heard about the WRX indicates they're a fairly stiff ride. I'm sure they're great cars and fun to drive, but something to keep in mind if comfort is your top requirement.

How about a Mustang? :D

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kaungo

While not as fast as WRX or STi, Mazda 3 or 6 are sweet looking cars with great fuel economy. Mazda is similar to BMW in a way that they focus a lot on driver feel/response of the car. Maintenance cost will be lower than a turbo car.

Ford Fiesta ST is a great car under 25k. Turbo + good fuel economy.

Overall, make a list and test drive them all. Have fun! :)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do you get the Ford Ecoboosts in Canada? With a Fiesta ST we're talking upper 50s for mpg (so 90 kmpg if you prefer KM) on boring straight roads, which isn't great but in the US 20 is considered decent so... Obviously not the biggest of cars, but neither is a Subaru so. Also not as fast as a Subaru, but 7 seconds 0-60mph/100kmh is plenty quick. Also cheaper and more reliable than a Subaru.

I'm not sure what 35k Canadian buys, especially as the Canadian dollar seems to be worth as much as toilet paper, but I'm sure a Fiesta ST is less than a Subaru so it should be ok.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't argue with the WRX recommendation, but a good used BMW 3 or 5 series is also a lot of fun/comfortable/cool too. One thing for sure is that a BMW with the premium sound package totally murders what a Subaru can muster. The Infiniti G 37 models are also nice and fun as well, but the sound system doesn't match a BMW either.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@alexw00d said:

Do you get the Ford Ecoboosts in Canada? With a Fiesta ST we're talking upper 50s for mpg (so 90 kmpg if you prefer KM) on boring straight roads, which isn't great but in the US 20 is considered decent so... Obviously not the biggest of cars, but neither is a Subaru so. Also not as fast as a Subaru, but 7 seconds 0-60mph/100kmh is plenty quick. Also cheaper and more reliable than a Subaru.

I'm not sure what 35k Canadian buys, especially as the Canadian dollar seems to be worth as much as toilet paper, but I'm sure a Fiesta ST is less than a Subaru so it should be ok.

I am not sure if the newest Fieta's fixed the issue, but Ford Focuses and Fiesta's have a really shitty transmission starting with 2012 models going into 2015 models(last I checked). I only because I have a 2012 Focus. Last month I was on the highway and the transmission's computer completely died; I only have 60,000 on the car. That was one of several incidents I had with that transmission; the dealer told me I've been in a total of 4 times since I've had the car for related issues.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@l4wd0g: really depends on the years too. My last was a '97 legacy, the engine was pristine still, the body was falling apart. Now I've got a 2001 outback h6 3.0L and it's running like new. I'm sure like most of the really great cars (e.g. late 80s-early 90s volvos) are not as reliable as they once were. They realized they built the cars too well!

EDIT: I was at 160k for the 97 and sitting pretty with 107k on the 2001

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Franstone

@bassman2112 said:
@earlessshrimp said:

I was gonna suggest a WRX (my mid-range dream car). That Crosstrek Hybrid looks cool as well (outdoorsy and good MPG).
Always wanted an STI but man those things can get ya in trouble. Test drove one once and went from 60 to 90 in a snap.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know anything about your financial situation, but I would urge you to reconsider spending $35,000 on a vehicle. You sound like you're still fairly young, so you may be experiencing the urge to walk into a dealership, pick out an awesome new car and add all the options you want and the color schemes you want, etc. Unless you are already a home owner and living comfortably, you probably have better uses for your money than to invest it in a vehicle that will never be more valuable than what you paid for it.

I went through this process a year ago when my old car got totalled. I was ready to go to a dealership and get exactly what I wanted, but came to my senses and put more effort into searches on cars.com and similar sites where private sellers are placing their ads. I ended up getting a '09 Subaru Forester with 47k miles on it for $12,500 and have been very happy with it. It drives like a new car. I sometimes wish it was white instead of silver, but not enough to make the cost difference worth it. I feel like I dodged a bullet by deciding to be more economical.

Just something you may want to think about. Sorry for acting like a dad. I'll stop now.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

Most people are right to point out that 35,000 is allot if you are still young, but if you can afford it do it but spend as much time as you need picking the right car or lease.

But honestly, if looking for reliability, handling and fuel efficiency, then should be looking at German automobile. I've always had Audi's and Volkswagens in the past and you can't really go wrong with them. Plus, if get a quattro package with Audi they kit it out with decent transmission plus 4WD which might need if in a rural or mountainous region or if like to have fun.

Audi are great rally cars I take my 87 Audi Quattro that I restored rallying all time it's dam awesome.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe spend less than that and don't get a new car!

Do what I did! Find a 79 Cadillac and show up with 8 grand cash!

No seriously though, if you're into classic bodies, look around your area for something you think is cool. If it's reliable, go nuts. Hell, I have a 59 Rambler that is stupid reliable and simple to work on. Looks gorgeous and is surprising fuel efficient (20~ MPG). New cars are boring!

My two cents. Go for a newer model if you like. I haven't gone for a newer model in a very long time and got rear-ended coming off the lot...

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought a fully-loaded 2015 Kia Forte EX for $23,000 (after tax) last year. It is worth checking out because you get a LOT of car for that price. My brother just bought a 2016 Ford Focus for $32,000 and that is a definite step up in performance, but I feel that the Kia is 90% there for $10,000 less.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Another WRX suggestion here as well. I own one and drive it all year and have a great time in every weather situation. Be sure to get proper winter tires if you plan on using it in the snow. AWD helps the car move in the snow, but tires are needed to stop.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruckus: I'm pretty sure German cars rank as the least reliable. You want Japanese cars for reliability, German cars for performance and comfort.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32332210

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By TyCobb

Can't beat the Fiesta ST. Absolutely love mine. Its got the pep in its step and the fuel economy you are looking for.

It doesn't have much in terms of sound system, but you should have plenty left over to dump in however much you want.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know anything about your financial situation, but I would urge you to reconsider spending $35,000 on a vehicle. You sound like you're still fairly young, so you may be experiencing the urge to walk into a dealership, pick out an awesome new car and add all the options you want and the color schemes you want, etc. Unless you are already a home owner and living comfortably, you probably have better uses for your money than to invest it in a vehicle that will never be more valuable than what you paid for it.

I went through this process a year ago when my old car got totalled. I was ready to go to a dealership and get exactly what I wanted, but came to my senses and put more effort into searches on cars.com and similar sites where private sellers are placing their ads. I ended up getting a '09 Subaru Forester with 47k miles on it for $12,500 and have been very happy with it. It drives like a new car. I sometimes wish it was white instead of silver, but not enough to make the cost difference worth it. I feel like I dodged a bullet by deciding to be more economical.

Just something you may want to think about. Sorry for acting like a dad. I'll stop now.

Honestly, I think this is the best piece of advice I've ever gotten!

I think I'll aim for used. You're right, I don't own a house, and though I could afford the top of my budget; why? Why not aim a little lower, drive something that works well, and save =)

Thanks!!!

I'm still reading all the other responses, I just wanted to make sure you knew I definitely appreciate that =)

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That's $35k CAD not USD, right?

I just bought a new car in August after my car of 15 years finally decided to kick the bucket. I opted for something more compact, and my final choice was between the Subaru Impreza and Mazda 3. I went with a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's a really nice car.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been in the motor trade for most of my working life and an Impreza WRX (the old 90s coupe version) is the only car I've sold through fear of losing my license. Try as I might, I just couldn't keep the thing anywhere close to the speed limit, which probably says more about me than it does the car. I bought a 25 year old Porsche 928 as a replacement...

I drive this right now and it's giving me performance and 60mpg. Citroen DS3 Sport:

No Caption Provided

Had a quick look and don't think Citroen operate in Canada though, so I'd recommend a Focus ST.

Great car to drive - I was 50-50 on the DS3 and the Focus when I was buying but the Citroen dealer was a mate so ended up going that way.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichthy: I've had 2 Nissans in past that have been terrible for repairs and cost me bomb. But to be fair the car I drive now is Audi from 2007, so maybe the newer model's are letting down Germany once great reliability claim.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

my >10 year old car (which has a propensity to break down) won't do me any good - especially since my job needs me driving around a lot.

fourth is reliability.

You may want to re-prioritize reliability. ;)

I drove an '02 WRX until a couple of weeks ago when it was totaled in a parking lot fender-bender. Old car + damage to too many parts = not worth fixing. :( It was a great car, though, and I'd also recommend Subaru. You mentioned "driver experience" as being most important to you, so you might also look at the Legacy or Forester.

I think it will be tough to beat a Subaru and AWD, especially in Canada.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm biased since both my girlfriend and I work for Ford (views expressed here do not express the views of the company, they are only my own, etc.), but I love my Focus ST and my girlfriend loves her Fiesta ST. If you get the ST3 package for the Focus or the Recaro package for the Fiesta you get nice, heated leather seats (partial leather in the Fiesta) which I imagine would be a nice step up in comfort for Canada. Worth noting that the Ford ST's come with summer tires, so you'll need to buy a second set for winter (but, in my humble opinion, it's much better to have dedicated winters rather than all-seasons anyway). In terms of fuel economy, I average 28mpg in the Focus ST split between city and highway, and my girlfriend gets about 31 in her Fiesta doing mostly aggressive city-style driving. If you're willing to spend $35k though, you might as well try to get a new Focus RS - which is an AWD Focus with a turbocharged 2.3L 4-cylinder engine that makes 345bhp. I can't imagine it's the most fuel efficient thing out there, but boy does it sound fun. I think we recently released information that it does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tafae: The Recaro seats are an absolute must in the Fiesta. When I test drove the standard seats, they sit very low and kept snagging this weird plastic shield on the side of the seat. Also kind of dug in. The bucket seats of the Recaro got rid of that bullshit. Extremely bad idea to go normal seats without trying the bucket seats.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

• If you live in a very truck-friendly area, with lots of single-lane roads, look into auto-dimming rear view mirrors / side mirrors. A number of manufacturers offer them preinstalled or as dealer-installed accessories on their cars. I'm sure there are a number of third-party options out there, as well. Definitely better than being blinded when you're driving at night, ahead of a truck/suv or semi. (Or having to angle your mirrors to avoid being blinded. Can be unsafe if you forget to turn them back.)
  • Decide whether AWD is a factor in your decision. If you definitely want AWD, then your number of options narrows considerably. If either FWD or AWD is fine, you've got a lot of pick from. I'm assuming since you're in Canada, and this will be your daily driver, that RWD is probably not a big contender.
  • If fuel efficiency is your 2nd priority, consider what kind of driving you do most often. If it's a lot of stop & go, bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, or a lot of in-city stoplight to stoplight, then a hybrid is going to give you a lot better mpg. If it's mostly highway driving, a hybrid has less advantage over efficient non-hybrid options.
  • When looking at fuel economy, also consider fuel tank size / estimated range. (Some models may have fine MPG, but a tiny fuel tank means frequent fillups.)
  • I bought a Subaru Legacy this year, replacing my previous Legacy. It's still the most practical option for me, offering good balance of fuel economy, AWD, comfort, features, and safety at a decent price. It's not going to be as fast as the WRX (even if you opt for the 6-cylinder), but passing power's been fine for me, so far. While this is a 2015 (Legacy got a major revision starting model year 2015), you may still be able to find some used. If you're at all interested in a recent model year midsize sedan, test drive the Legacy, Mazda 6, and Accord and see what you think.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is surprising fuel efficient (20~ MPG).

This is still the funniest thing to me. 20mpg is absolutely terrible for effiency. Like, truly awful.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Haha, well... it's all relative. It's quite a bit better than the sub 20 my Cadillac gets. Not saying it's great, just that it's surprising for its age/weight/engine.

Atto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My mom just bought a Honda Fit and it's a great car. I keep beinging surprised by how much I like it. She choose the Fit after expecting to buy a Subaru. Since she doesn't really need AWD, the Fit has such great MPG (she averages around 40) and the fit was a less expensive, it just seemed like the better choice.Depending on your needs and keeping in mind what both @wraithtek and @spoonman671 have said I think it's worth looking at Honda's line up as well. Ultimately, make sure to look at a number of options and really think about your budget.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey dudes, update!

Thanks a ton, your advice has been extremely appreciated. I decided to lower my budget, and look gently used rather than brand new. I've prioritized fuel efficiency and reliability, and through that have found that the Focus ST looks pretty fantastic. With that in mind, I found a super good deal in a city near me, and will be trying it out on Saturday!

Thanks a ton =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I made a huge mistake getting a Prius when I should have purchased the Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 is easily the best small sedan and it has fantastic gas mileage. You should be able to find it for pretty cheap lightly used, even in Canada.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a VW TDI owner, 3 weeks ago I would have unreservedly said to maybe check out a Golf TDI (which is what I have and love, and will keep in spite of the recent VW news) because they are insanely fuel efficient, are very fun to drive, and great for longer commutes but now I can't really recommend them in light of recent events (though I did test drive the new Golf TSI with a 1.8 liter turbo gas engine and it was fantastic but for some people right now VW is not an option, which I totally understand) so I guess I'll say the Mazda3 is your best bet (that was my second choice after the Golf). They're very nice cars too. I know a few people that have them and they all adore them.

The Focus is a good choice too. I used to hate Ford but their recent offerings are very nice and well regarded. I was thinking of buying a Fusion Sport when I picked out my TDI.