• 56 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Edited By fobwashed

I'm makin an XNA game and I'm updating my progress on my blog here and in video format on YouTube.

Added some new stuff having to do with Combos and Air Attacks

Significant combat update =D

Unfortunately, I only realized after the fact that this video is laggy like crazy. This was prolly due to me not having closed a bunch of open programs prior to running the game and recording it. . . I'll be sure to do it better next time.

In any case, this is a smaller update. For the most part, I added in some more temp art for things like the running. While not super important, it was bugging me that when the player ran, he'd look like he was sliding around trying to hit something with Akuma's ultimate -_-;; In addition to that, I added a chargable attack move. This will increase in strength when you hold down the button to use it. You can't see it due to the laggy video, but his hand actually shakes faster and faster till he hits full strength. I'll be adding in some better effects and sounds to signify this process later on but for now, it suits my needs. Which is just art to have in place so that I can get to the coding.

I'm really unhappy with the actual punch frame though, and I'll prob end up changing that one out sooner than later.

Things to work on next. Increasing the player's moveset. Once I have more moves for the player to pick from, I'll be able to really start getting into the meat and potatoes of the combo system and with that, this whole other thing I've got planned for the combat which should be fun *crosses fingers* and as far as I know, hasn't been done before.

We'll see! I'll update again as soon as I have something to put up.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fobwashed

I'm makin an XNA game and I'm updating my progress on my blog here and in video format on YouTube.

Added some new stuff having to do with Combos and Air Attacks

Significant combat update =D

Unfortunately, I only realized after the fact that this video is laggy like crazy. This was prolly due to me not having closed a bunch of open programs prior to running the game and recording it. . . I'll be sure to do it better next time.

In any case, this is a smaller update. For the most part, I added in some more temp art for things like the running. While not super important, it was bugging me that when the player ran, he'd look like he was sliding around trying to hit something with Akuma's ultimate -_-;; In addition to that, I added a chargable attack move. This will increase in strength when you hold down the button to use it. You can't see it due to the laggy video, but his hand actually shakes faster and faster till he hits full strength. I'll be adding in some better effects and sounds to signify this process later on but for now, it suits my needs. Which is just art to have in place so that I can get to the coding.

I'm really unhappy with the actual punch frame though, and I'll prob end up changing that one out sooner than later.

Things to work on next. Increasing the player's moveset. Once I have more moves for the player to pick from, I'll be able to really start getting into the meat and potatoes of the combo system and with that, this whole other thing I've got planned for the combat which should be fun *crosses fingers* and as far as I know, hasn't been done before.

We'll see! I'll update again as soon as I have something to put up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Oh I thought you were working on a remake to the Atari 2600 Combat :(  
Your game looks interesting hopefully you work things out.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

If I could I would buy it when it gets released but unfortunately I don't own a 360 :(

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

Oh man, is that Lincoln?

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rebirth1337

This looks awesome. And btw the video didn't seem to laggy to me.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fobwashed
@bartok: Unfortunately no -_-;; I'd prolly need to get the rights to do something like that from some guy somewhere that works at a Chuck E Cheese. 

@RE_Player92: XNA games run perfectly fine on both PC and 360 with a few minor changes. I'm actually doing 90% of my testing on the PC, only sending it to my 360 every now and again to make sure nothing is broken there. I'm guessing once I finish the 360 one, I'll be releasing it on PC later on so you can still support meeee!! =P 

@Rebirth1337: It's definitely laggy -_-;; The running looks super floaty and I think there's a bunch of dropped frames all over the place. Part of it is cuz the game is running at 60fps but I'm capturing at 30 but most of it is because I'm an idiot. You'll be able to see the difference in the next vid I put up since I plan on not being stupid 2 times in a row.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Deusx
@Fobwashed: Is XNA too difficult? People have suggested me to try that out or gamemaker... btw I know 0 programing apart from web development languages... I am a Graphic Artist so I want something where I can work without having to deal with that.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fobwashed
@Deusx: XNA is prolly about as easy as it's gonna get as far as making whatever game you want to make. That being said, it's pretty hard since you need to know the language (C#) and you need to learn the XNA framework. If you know some web development languages, then I don't think learning C# is beyond you. I myself started learning only after I got frustrated with the limitations in Warioware DIY =P Way back before I started using XNA, I fiddled around a bit with programs like GameMaker and RPGMaker and whatnot. The problem with those programs were that, they're really good at allowing you to make the exact type of game they are designed to make but you can't really stray too far from the templates. Even then, you have to learn the language for those specific programs and at that point, might as well just learn a real language. The same goes for Flash though Flash has fewer limitations on what you can do. 

I dunno man, I wish I could say it was easy, or there's a quick way to do this crap but seriously, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. If you're specifically a graphic artist, your best bet is to try to find someone who needs your skill set in making their game. It's really not a great idea to go at it yourself if you don't have a clear idea of what you want to do because the hardest part of making a game is knowing what to do next. I highly recommend you check out the XNA forums in the help wanted section. There seems to always be people who are looking for coders or artists because those are the two things that require a lot of effort or skill =P If you take a look at the Indie channel on the 360, a huge portion of the games there are lacking in quality artwork. . . among other things. Good art is always in short supply and I'm positive if you put up some samples of your work, and they're good, you'll have people bangin down your door for help =P Though. . . I expect that you don't be paid much, if at all for your work but sometimes, all it takes is to see something you made running around on a TV to make you happy =)
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunExplosions

Awesome. Are you making this game entirely by yourself? Is the music just placeholder music? I really like it, so that's not a diss; just wondering if you made it. Keep up the good work.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fobwashed
@FunExplosions: No offense taken! =) And yes, I'm making the entirety of this game all by my lonesome at the moment. The music is just there to make the update vids a bit more interesting to watch and they're just random clips from other games that I like. It's a whole lotta work but I think I'll be able to manage all the art and sound effects and whatnot but I'm going to have to find someone to make the music for me. I suppose I could try to learn to make my own, but I feel like that'd be a missuse of my time since even if I tried, I have no idea if I could make good music or not -_-;; Once I get closer to completing the game, I'll prolly troll the internet looking for someone who'll make music for me for free or on the cheap. Until then, it's all "borrowed"
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

I wish I knew how to make games. I have some weird ideas.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yoshimitz707 said:
Oh man, is that Lincoln?
Who else would it be, this is amazing.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fobwashed
@Axxol: Those are the best kind of ideas =P 

@ChristianCastillo said:
@yoshimitz707 said:
Oh man, is that Lincoln?
Who else would it be, this is amazing.
I will not comment on rumors or speculation.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What about ze multiplayer? ;p 

Great work, looks better than the last build. You should add number or date to these posts so it would be easier to keep track of them.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vodun

Abe Lincoln walks around a farm as different coloured potato creatures appear behind him and attack. He then beats them up, all the while the potato creatures squeal like some form of hell-pigs. I wonder what Freud would make of this.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fobwashed
@Mr_Skeleton: Well, the forum posts are dated by default, as are the video upload dates -_-;; I was discussing the potential of multiplayer with a friend a couple days back and it's a possibility but only after I finish making the game. If there were every to be any sort of multiplayer, it'd be sort of just a bonus as opposed to something I kept in mind during the making of the game. 

@Vodun: The potato is an inside joke between some of my friends and he's there just to take a beating and test out combat. Really, I shouldn't have even animated him but I got tired of watching this sprite just slide around everywhere -_-;; Aside from that, I guess Freud might say that I dream of beating my potatoes to death in an open field -_____-
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deusx
@Fobwashed: Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. Everyone gives me the same advice as you do, I think I will look to work with my art some more. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now with school and some other shit but maybe later I will search for someone in need of my work. I actually know flash programing (Actionscript 3.0) but It takes a lot of effort to do something on that software so it's really hard for someone who doesn't have time at all. Hopefully that will change in the coming months. Thanks!
Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I'll give it a try when it's released! 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

it's looks like an awesome game. it really does.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fobwashed

Nother update vid to the combat. I've added an uppercut and a few various other tweaks. Better description attached to the vid itself =D
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By X19
@Fobwashed: I have spent most of the day putting gaming tracks against your videos to try and find an appropriate style. After spending ages on a epic orchestral melody I realized it just didn't fit at all with the game so went back to the drawing board. Got back onto youtube and listened to a ton of beat em up game OSTs along with Castlevania and Zelda etc. For some reason that style fits so well with your game so I'm currently doing research on how I can create all those 8bit and 16bit sounds on Reason. Hopefully in a hour or two I will have a bunch of 16bit sounds to mess with and I can get started writing. 

On my 5h cup of tea of the day which is helping me keep awake XD  

Edit: Shit making sounds from scratch is hard. I'm going patch hunting. 

Edit2: 

I got a lot to learn tonight also that uppercut you put in is awesome. 
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions
@Fobwashed said:

@FunExplosions: No offense taken! =) And yes, I'm making the entirety of this game all by my lonesome at the moment. The music is just there to make the update vids a bit more interesting to watch and they're just random clips from other games that I like. It's a whole lotta work but I think I'll be able to manage all the art and sound effects and whatnot but I'm going to have to find someone to make the music for me. I suppose I could try to learn to make my own, but I feel like that'd be a missuse of my time since even if I tried, I have no idea if I could make good music or not -_-;; Once I get closer to completing the game, I'll prolly troll the internet looking for someone who'll make music for me for free or on the cheap. Until then, it's all "borrowed"

Well, if you wanna fool around with some PPPPPP-esque music, you can try putting your own stuff together over at Bfxr. Also, it sounds like you'd be far better off getting someone else to make the music, like you said, but if you're strapped for cash and time, you can always try your luck at OpenSourceMusic.com. A lot of it is shit, but you may get lucky. 

edit: new video is sick. If I had an Xbox, I'd be telling you to take my money.
mbkish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mbkish

I am thinking about creating my own game as well. How easy is it to create an engine from scratch, specifically a 2D side-scroller? Also, are there any sort of basic user interface or workflow tutorials for XNA around?  Finally, how does XNA handle play testing your game? I was thinking about using Gamemaker or Unity, but XNA looks great. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JJOR64

I'll be sure to check it out once it's released.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fobwashed
@X19: Haha, there may be parts that warrant a more orchestral take on the music but I think you're gettin the right idea with a more oldschool sound -_-;; I'm curious to see what you'll end up with =D 

@FunExplosions: With everything I've got on my plate right now, including a full time job that has nothing to do with the game, I'm almost positive I'll find my music elsewhere =P And thanks! 

@mbk337: How easy anything is, is wholly dependent on how much you're trying to achieve. The more complex the game you want to put together, the longer it'll take. The more things interact with each other, the more complex things will be. On the whole though, I found it's a lot less complicated than I originally thought it would be, but considering that I used to think it was basically just magic =P As for interface, there's something called intellisense that sort of constantly predicts what you're trying to type next that will help you stay organized and in many cases, save you a bunch of time while you're writing code but for the most part, it's just a text editor and you write straight code. There's a visual part to the program, but that's more to do with Windows based applications and as far as I can tell, pretty much not of any use for game development. There's a ton of free tutorials on the internet, all you have to do is google it. I myself started using some tutorial vids on c# from youtube. Once I got the basics down, I messed around with the included starter kits in the XNA forums, and then I finally started building my own game from scratch. I can't comment on GameMaker or Unity as I haven't seriously tried to use either. I messed around with GameMaker months prior to starting up with C# and to be honest, it seems like it's good if all you want to do is make a game and put your name on it. Aside from your own art and sound and maybe some story and whatnot, it seems like it's just out of fairly limited mold. I dunno, if you're gonna learn how to do anything complicated in it, you might as well just take the extra few steps and learn C#.
mbkish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mbkish
@Fobwashed: Thanks for the thorough answer. I have used C# in the past so XNA and Unity are both good on that. The thing that draws me to XNA more is that I want to use sprites in a 2D engine rather than the 3D engine and models of Unity. Yes, you can create 2D in Unity but it isn't natively  supported. My thoughts are why not start from scratch rather than attempting to bend a program to my will. Anyways, thanks again and can't wait to see more of the project.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol nice music!!

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By X19
@Fobwashed said:
@X19: Haha, there may be parts that warrant a more orchestral take on the music but I think you're gettin the right idea with a more oldschool sound -_-;; I'm curious to see what you'll end up with =D 

At this point I'm unsure but it's 4am and I'm going to bed XD Got a melody now which I'm worried sounds to much like Final Fantasy and Zelda than beat em up stuff. Just trying to make it catchy and be able to loop on itself while trying to keep close to chip music rules. Here are some of the patch sounds I'm using but will see if I stick with that tomorrow or will put all the channels into new modern sounds again. Like I said before my problem is writing music that is relevant to the source material and that's what I'm struggling with.   

Let me leave you with one of the many chiptunes I have listened to today. How he makes it sound so epic while only having 3 channels at his disposal is incredible :D

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Origina1Penguin

There is no way this will not be on the front page when it's done. I'm really looking forward to when you start level designs and add more enemies/bosses.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rebirth1337

So I've been wanting to know; why does he throw change?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karl_Boss
No Caption Provided
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fobwashed
@Rebirth1337: Because it's cheaper and can travel further distances than bills =D
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrv321

Please say you can ride a Unicorn, and the last level is a space side-scroller with you shooting from a unicorn IN SPACE.

Also change it to XxCombatxX you'd be more ironic.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
@Unknown_Pleasures: What I thought of too. 

GL to the OP, making games is awesome and looks like really hard work.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fobwashed
@mrv321: I think there may have been a bit of miscommunication here -_-;; The game's name isn't "Combat", I just put combat at the end of the title of this blog entry because the updates I'm posting to this thread are based on combat. Sorta like how the previous one was called "I'm Making a Game. Projectiles". And I'd love to work unicorns in somehow. . . but it's not currently in my design doc. Also, It was a huge toss up between making this game, or a space shooter. If things go well with this one, I've got some STELLAR ideas for a space shooter *ZING* 

@DystopiaX: Tyty. More than luck, I just need more time in a day! It's not exactly hard work because I really enjoy doing it, but it's just a huge time sink. Also, there are gonna be so many awesome games to play soon. . . I dunno how I'm gonna balance my time between everything else that's going on but I'm dedicated to making this thing =D
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fobwashed

Another quick update. The nitty gritty is in the description on the video itself but the short and sweet is the following: 
Blocking (currently, you have to be facing the enemy's attack to block it. I may change this to omni-directional blocking if things get too hard for the player later on) 
Countering (same as blocking, you must be facing the enemy for the counter to work. I'm considering changing this to omni-directional regardless of what I do with the regular blocking since it's timing based and failure = getting hit) 
Build up to full run speed. 
Loss of run speed if falling from too great a height. 
Enemies now crash into each other if they are launched by the player. On crash, both take varying amounts of damage (gonna tweak the exact amount of damage they take later on once I get more mobs and moves in) 
Enemies that crash into collidable objects or the ground while in a damaged state react differently than when normally jumping. 
Various physics tweaks. 
Bunch of small random code tweaks + fps counter. It's locked at 30ish when running on PC with vid capture. 60 on 360 and pc w/out capture. I need to find a way to get good capture from the 360 build at some point. 

Anyhows, I typically don't have as much time during the work week and get most of my stuff done during the weekends. I cram in what I can tho -_-;; I feel like I'm updating a bit more regularly than I used to but I think it's because I'm adding stuff at a faster clip now that the core stuff is taken care of. Also, I'd totally forget what I did and changed if I didn't do these as soon as I changed them. . . I'll prob update less when I'm working on the art since that stuff is just. . . well, just art as opposed to actual things that are changing mechanically =P 

As always, I'll answer most any questions if anyone has any and umm. . . I whole heartedly accept any criticisms or suggestions at this point =)
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By X19
@Fobwashed: Alright man this is what I came up with. SoundCloud has added weird echoes to some of the notes which is really annoying but you get the general idea. Feedback would be great as it gives me more of a focus on what to work on :)

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By papercut

Sorry, think this may have been asked already, but what hardware are you working on? Curious. 

Also as a proof of concept you got me interested already.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sjupp
@X19: I love it! Granted, I'm not the one making the game but playing this in the background I feel like it's too.. Happy? I can't really place it. It's really hard to tell what setting Fobwashed will use though.

Man I must really get my ass into coding or seriously studying graphics.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By I_smell

Cool; really good animation! I think the enemy design stinks, I think whatever that is should only be in the game as a joke-- like the tiny Golden Axe thief dudes.

I think when he's charging up the punch his hand should maybe set on fire? Or have some kind of splash or particle effect just to make it look more super. Maybe some tiny camera shake when it ihits?
Also I think his blocking stance should be more obvious that he's blocking. Like-- try n make it stand out more form his standing animation, put both his hands up. 
I don't like the pose he does right before he uppercuts...
I really like how the enemies bounce up off the floor.
It's fun how his run speeds up.

Again I really like the animation and the way you've drawn this main dude.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NickL
@Fobwashed: Are those potatoes?
Good luck with the game.
I just started getting into XNA a couple days ago, working on a mario clone right now just as a practice run for making games(I am learning c++ at college right now so it's fairly easy to teach myself some c#), then I'll try making some simple 3d game afterwards then I should feel comfortable making the crazy ideas swimming around in my head. :)

@X19

said:

@Fobwashed: Alright man this is what I came up with. SoundCloud has added weird echoes to some of the notes which is really annoying but you get the general idea. Feedback would be great as it gives me more of a focus on what to work on :)

That is some really good music, while I also don't know the tone fobwash is going for, I tend to agree with Sjupp that it might be a bit too "happy" sounding?
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fobwashed
@X19: Hey! That sounds pretty snazzy =D For some reason, I totally feel like I'm playing a mix of like, an oldschool Contra game and say Ikari Warriors. As much as I really love the 8-bit sound, I think I may be going for something that sounds a bit more modern. Sort of like, how the game is in a way a throwback to sidescrolling beatemups but I'm not going to be restrained by the technical limitations on older games and visually, it's full on HD. So if you could keep the soul of that sound, but somehow coat it in something more modern. . . I'm not really a huge sound guy so that's about the best way I can put it. Really though, I'd expect the best way for anyone to come up with music would be to see what it's going to be playing against and right now, I'm still building things up so that's gonna be pretty difficult -_-;; Still, for now, anything you throw my way, I'll go ahead and put into a vid to see how it runs with what I've got at the moment =) Very nice work. 

@papercut: Right now, I'm doing all the coding on PC. For testing, I have two separate builds, one for PC and one for 360. Testing is primarily done on the PC since I'm sitting AT the pc while coding but if I add something large or want to make sure something I did won't crash the 360, I'll deploy a build to it. The only real difference aside from the hardware capabilities of the two is the screen safe area which is the area on the screen that may be cut off by TVs. I have a toggle in the debug in my game to turn that on or off just so I can see what the screen layout would look like on the 360. 

@I_smell: Thanks! Yea, the potato guy is 100% temporary and only there for testing purposes. I only animated him because I got tired of looking at a sprite just sliding around. As for the player's attacks, I literally whipped up those frames (including the block) in like 10 minutes so that I could add them to the spritesheet and into the game for testing. Rest assured that everything will be touched up or redrawn entirely by the end. This includes the super sorry targeting cursor I'm currently using for the projectile -_-;; I've put some thought into how to signify the level of charge on any and all attacks and I'm currently thinking either some sort of charge bar that appears or some other sort of visual indicator. You mentioned fire, and that's sorta what I mean. I'll prolly take into consideration a lot more seriously complaints about certain animations or frames once the final artwork is in but up until that point, I'm working under the knowledge that it's all temporary soooooo -____-;; Thanks for the feedback =D
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fobwashed
@NickL: Haha, yeah, they're potatoes -_-;; It's from an old comic I used to draw years and years ago. Pretty much, it's an inside joke =P Good luck with XNA! Aside from tooling around with the platformer starter kit, this is the first time I'm programming anything. So, I'm proof that anyone can learn the stuff, and apply it. I considered going 3D but I thought it wasn't a good idea to put myself into a situation where I'd need to rely on anyone else to finish what I started and I can't do any 3D modeling. I'm sure I could learn. . . but like, I've already got so much other stuff going on in my life that that'd be overkill. It prolly would have helped a bit if I started with something easier just to get my feet wet, but I just don't have the time. I'm gonna build the game I want to make from the offset instead of spending time on something I'm not gonna be happy with. The biggest problem when I got started was choosing what game I wanted to work on. Every gamer has ideas for a game they think would be awesome and I'm the same way. As soon as I began learning C#, I also built up a few different design docs for various games I've wanted to make over the years and this one just surfaced to the top because it seemed like it'd be the funnest to make. When I finish this project, I hope to move onto the other ones. The funny thing is, if I'd have gone with the other ones, it would have been much easier -_-;; Still, I'm really happy with how things are going right now and the way things are coming together so no sweat off my back! If you post any vids or do any kind of journal, let me know so I can follow you. I love watching other people's progress and so few actually document and share it =\
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_smell

Great!

Don't bother using a charge bar if it's only a couple seconds of charge, totally just use an on-dude indicator. 
And make sure your running attacks are unique from your standing attacks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hatking
@I_smell said:
Great!  Don't bother using a charge bar if it's only a couple seconds of charge, totally just use an on-dude indicator.  And make sure your running attacks are unique from your standing attacks.
I agree with this.  And in that same train of thought, meters in general are sort of arbitrary.  I realize a lot of this is 'place-holder' right now, but enemy health bars aren't really necessary outside of 'boss' characters.
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
@Fobwashed
How is XNA to use? 
:)
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Marz

Why's he fighting bad guys that he shits out? Evil indigestion?

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By X19
@Fobwashed: Imo the music is very raw and doesn't fit right with the very smooth look of the game. Yeah I'm getting a better idea on where to go and will have another crack at it. Will gravitate more to modern sounds but reference some of the techniques I learnt from writing that chip tune. 
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fobwashed
@I_smell: I'm gonna keep the charging on most if not all attacks to prolly under a second and a half (EG. full charge on current coin toss to launch 4 coins). And yea, running attacks will most definitely be different. As will jumping and all other player states -_-;; 

@HatKing: Meters and huds and lifebars are arbitrary but sometimes sort of necessary. For instance, I originally didn't want to put in an aim cursor, but it became apparent after some testing that it's much easier to aim if there's something showing you exactly where you're aiming. I'm a huge fan of the no hud when it fits the game. Deadspace has a very minimal hud and I love the game for it but I would never want the no hud on say CoD or even Crysis2. In regards to the life bars, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one -_-;; Not positive if it'll stay up top somewhere or how I'll show it, but there needs to be an indication of how much life is left on the thing you're fighting unless everything is going to die in just a few hits. I plan on having a pretty robust combat system and most fights will last a little while. Throw in say 5+ mobs and all of a sudden, it's super easy to forget who had around how much life left. Also, I'm going to be upgrading moves, dmg, etc and it'd be nice to be able to see how much life you just took off with a blow on a bar. I'll most likely have dmg numbers popping up as well, but that doesn't show how much more of a beating something can take till its dead =P Lifebars in one form or another are necessary in the type of game I'm making IMO =P 

@WoodenPlatypus: I think I responded to very similar questions once or twice in this thread. Short answer is, it's prolly about as good as anyone could ask for as far as making games alone or with a small group is concerned. Aside from buying some sort of middleware. 

@Marz: These vids aren't actual levels, they're just areas I've constructed to run tests. Right now I'm doing combat tests so I need to be able to spawn enemies =P If you look at some of the earlier vids, you can see some more world based tests like moving walkways, fences, tunnels, etc. 

@X19
: Sounds great. Worst case scenario, you're still building up your craft =) I'm lookin forward to hearing what you come up with!
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By I_smell

nnnnaaaah I think health bars are fine.

Unless you draw/animate like 3 different states of each enemy to show how much health they have left, which would be a TONNE O WORK!