• 56 results
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By hatking
@Fobwashed: I'll bite my tongue until I see the full game.  At this point I have no idea what it will look like when it is finished.  I'm just getting a Castle Crashers vibe from this game and the smaller enemies there didn't have life bars, even the ones that took a little longer to kill.  Plus there is something about seeing the health bar appear above a boss character.  It's like a sign that says, this guy is so flipping strong you need this to keep track of it; that moment is all the more powerful when life bars aren't seen everywhere else. 

Of course this is just my two cents.  I'll shut up now. hah...
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By NickL
@Fobwashed: Yeah, I was gonna blog it once i started something unique, didn't think anyone would care about me making yet another mario clone though lol =p
I have messed around with 3d modeling before, nothing special but enough to at least make something playable so I should be fine on that front but I totally understand why you wouldn't want to deal with 3d.
I'll let you know when I start blogging about my game making adventures, it will most likely be here on giant bomb.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By fobwashed
@HatKing Nah, your opinion is totally valid and I just recently played some castle crashers again (and Scott pilgrim) to get a feel for their respective combat engines and the no health bar thing is not a hindrance. I'm just planning on my game being a bit deeper than Scott pilgirm and a lot less hectic than castle crashers. I felt like while those were both fun, the bulk of the experience rode on the coat tails of the strong visuals as opposed to engaging combat systems. I'll def be taking a good long hard look at everything and trimming or adding later on and I'd rather get this kind of input rather than work in a bubble and end up with a game that's just for myself =P
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By hatking
@Fobwashed: Well you seem to have a very good idea of what you're doing with the game.  I'm very interested how this turns out.  : )  I think keeping in touch with this community will probably benefit you incredibly. 
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By fobwashed

I've added a targeting Cursor for future use with throws and other projectiles that aren't launched in a solid direction from the player like the change toss. Currently, the thing being thrown is change but that's just because I didn't have time to add anything else to it just yet. The targeting cursor is working in conjunction with a method I wrote that can send an object from a start point to a land point through the air. I'll be using this method for various enemy attacks as well and plan to expand on it's functionality to include height, speed and distance options. 

I'm also going to start linking new vids on the first post in case someone just wants to open up the blog and check for new vids. 

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By fobwashed

This update is a bit larger than the recent ones I've been putting up. I got in a solid 6~7 hours of coding tonight after work and I think things have come together nicely.

For starters, I've implemented that aiming/throwing projectiles at a specific location at a specified height and speed and given the test potatoes some smaller potatoes to throw at the player. They will now, at the point of release, be throwing upwards a projectile that will land exactly where the player was standing prior to throw. I gave it some lob because the straight shot was almost unavoidable. If I were to give them some sort of an audio cue, I think even off screen the player would know to block or try to counter the incoming projectile.

With this new ability, I realized I needed some actual AI for these things to run on so I set it up. They now have a bunch of different steps of logic they go through to determine what they are going to do. Specifically, depending on their distance to the player, they'll decide to either try to close the gap and move in for a melee attack, or hang back and toss a spud. They also now try to position themselves a little better than before -_-;; There's still a ton of work to be done with the AI, but I'm happy that the way I thought I would set it up in my mind actually works in code.

For the player, I've added a few more abilities. The countering worked against melee attacks and they just work against projectiles because of the way those are set up. I considered having countered projectiles return towards the enemy that launched them but I think that'd look a little weird so I'll think up something else for counters later. The player now has a single move that he can use coming out of a run which is the shoulder bash. I've also given him a hit frame so that I can actually tell when he's been hit and how long he's been stunned for.

Lastly, I updated my platforming code a bunch. Aside from general optimizations, I've added a world based damage and also a way to jump over smaller obstacles. The damage I'll show later on once I have some actual art that can represent something damaging in the world (look for spikes I guess) but the jumpable objects are shown in this vid near the end. I'm jumping over those tombstones and while I can't land on top of them, I'll get pushed out of their way if I attempt to land ON them. The direction that the object pushes the player (or enemies) can be set up during level building. Otherwise, it'll just push outward from the center. This'll allow me to put in smaller obstacles in my levels without having to overly set up a bunch of platforming.

That's about it for now. Music is Halo Tip of the Spear.

I'll be back =D