#1 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

And slightly terrified, I'm moving to Manchester to live with my girlfriend, and I'm really nervous because I have always lived in a small town and my family has always been close by. I have always been a worrier, but I am slightly neurotic, I panic about anything that causes stress, but I know there is a big part of me that is looking forward to it, I just can't seem to stop worrying. My question to you guys is, is there any advice you could give me, maybe if you have been in a similar situation?.

#2 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

You should move to Newcastle instead. It's better up here. Manchester smells funny.

That is all.

#3 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

Dont worry, be happy. I grew up in a town with 1000 people in it, nowadays I live in one with 600000 people... sure its different, but thats all. It aint better or worse really.

#4 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

It'll be fine, at least your going to live with your girlfriend rather than randomers like I did. I dread things a lot too until it actually comes time to get on with it and then it's fine.

@pompouspizza said:

but I am slightly neurotic,

<Insert self-referential joke here>

#5 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

You´ll be fine once you get used to the new place, I would suggest to triple the amount of sexual interaction with your woman until that happens, it will ease the transition.

#6 Edited by FLStyle (4728 posts) -

@pompouspizza: If you find yourself in the Victoria train station and you walk by that really expensive coffee stand that replaced the hotdog stand with the really good foot-long hotdogs, tell them I hate you for me, thanks.

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

THIS is the the type of person Manchester produces.

#8 Posted by Village_Guy (2598 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

You´ll be fine once you get used to the new place, I would suggest to triple the amount of sexual interaction with your woman until that happens, it will ease the transition.

This man is clearly a doctor, and his advice is most sound.

#9 Posted by craigieh28 (74 posts) -

I'm from, and remain living in, Manchester - it's a great place to live! It also produces people like this...

Whereabouts in Manchester BTW?

#10 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

I hear they have a good football club. Yeah, thats all I got.

#11 Posted by hustlerlt (331 posts) -

At least you are moving with someone and not alone. It'll probably be weird to live in a large city for you in the beginning, but after a month or two you'll probably know most of the city and it won't look as big, I guarantee you that. Also, at least you're moving to a place, where english language is the primary language and not like me, because I've just moved to Denmark to study and let me tell you, it is much more terrifying when everyone around you is talking in a language you can't understand.

#12 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Your moving to Manchester?
Good luck with that!
(No seriously lock your windows)

#13 Edited by mordukai (7153 posts) -

Wear only red shirts.

#14 Posted by Fallen189 (5025 posts) -

It's fine. If you're near the city centre, go to Chinatown and head over to Won Wons bakery. Their stuff is too die for

#15 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

@mordukai said:

Wear only red shirts.

Yeah, Liverpool kits only.

#16 Posted by returnofjake (231 posts) -

I can't speak directly for Manchester, but a lot of cities feel like lots of small towns pushed together. I live right in the centre of Edinburgh but unless I go near the Uni or the shops it doesn't feel like a big place most of the time.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Maybe you should move to Womanchester instead.

#18 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@Canteu said:

You should move to Newcastle instead. It's better up here. Manchester smells funny.

That is all.

Wise words.

#19 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@Neurotic: Yeah that sounds like me, I dread things so much, and most of the time, it's never as bad as I thought it would be.

#20 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@craigieh28: Trafford

#21 Posted by Soap (3596 posts) -

I know your going to live with your girlfriend, but I watched a program about sexual health clinics (on BBC3, I'm sure others saw it) and that was set in manchester, it's safe to say peoples sexual habits were open enough that you would need to be really careful if you ever ended up not with your GF.

Good luck! :D

#22 Posted by Matt_F606 (315 posts) -

@JacDG said:

@mordukai said:

Wear only red shirts.

Yeah, Liverpool kits only.

Yeah.... that might not work out so well. I live half way between Manchester and Liverpool. We play rugby to avoid the argument :-)

#23 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

@haffy said:

@Canteu said:

That is all.

Wise words.

#24 Posted by Morningstar (2174 posts) -

@Canteu said:

That is all.

I wish I could move to Newcastle..

#25 Posted by craigieh28 (74 posts) -

Trafford is one of the more affluent boroughs in Greater Manchester, with good transport links to the City Centre if you want the hustle and bustle of the the town and to Cheshire and Derbyshire for the parks and the countryside. You will be fine...

#26 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Buy a big scary dog to keep chavs at bay

#27 Posted by Mike83 (12 posts) -

Manchesters great. You'll love it.

#28 Posted by Mike83 (12 posts) -

@mattf87 said:

Yeah.... that might not work out so well. I live half way between Manchester and Liverpool. We play rugby to avoid the argument :-)

Sunny St. Helens?

#29 Posted by runnah555 (148 posts) -

Stop being a puss. Big cities are awesome. Sure you might get stabbed once, but hey it's worth it to actually be near things.

#30 Edited by leebmx (2245 posts) -

@pompouspizza: I think you will be fine. It is totally natural to worry about big changes before we make them but I think you will find a lot to interest you in Manchester. My mate just moved their with all the BBC people and he is loving it, after really dreading it at first.

Its a really cool city with all the advantages of City living but still feels small scale and managable unlike London which I imagine can be pretty scary for people from outside. Just go with an open mind and throw yourself into stuff and I reckon you'll be fine. Just don't start supporting Manure.

#31 Posted by Matt_F606 (315 posts) -

@Mike83 said:

@mattf87 said:

Sunny St. Helens?

Just up the road in Warrington.

#32 Posted by Mike83 (12 posts) -

Ah, I recently moved from St. Helens to Warrington.

#33 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@pompouspizza:

Lived in Paris for a couple of months. What surprised and distressed me the most about it? The rich layer of soot and grime I had to wash off my face every night. Positively scaring.

Metropolitan hellscape awaits.

#34 Posted by CookieMonster (2418 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@haffy said:

@Canteu said:

That is all.

Wise words.

The wisest.

#35 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1005 posts) -

I live in Texas. I can't help you at all here. But, it'll be okay.