I'm sore, but proud of it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

So today, I started attending an aikido class, which on tne spectrum of physical activity is pretty much the complete opposite of playing any video game aside from DDR.  I am sore like you wouldn't believe, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel good about it.  My job involves me sitting at a desk staring at computer screens all day long, and ever since I moved, my commute has involved far less walking than it used to.  I needed more exercise, and I've found a good way to get it.

Anyone else here currently taking martial arts?  If so, which one?  It'd be interesting to read about it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

So today, I started attending an aikido class, which on tne spectrum of physical activity is pretty much the complete opposite of playing any video game aside from DDR.  I am sore like you wouldn't believe, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel good about it.  My job involves me sitting at a desk staring at computer screens all day long, and ever since I moved, my commute has involved far less walking than it used to.  I needed more exercise, and I've found a good way to get it.

Anyone else here currently taking martial arts?  If so, which one?  It'd be interesting to read about it.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By roofy

just curious, why did you choose aikido?

im a blue belt in Gōjū-ryū, trying to get my black and finish it up (i've been doing it for 15 years!)

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

I did BJJ with a little muay thai for a couple years in high school. I was into UFC and Pride at the time, and wanted to get a better understanding of the sport, but it turned out getting punched and choked by my friend, and returning the favor, was alot more fun than watching MMA.

If you're more into the fighting aspect of martial arts I highly recommend bjj/wrestling/boxing/Muay thai. Personally, I was never a big fan of the whole Asian martial arts thing, the atmosphere around alot of the BJJ schools is alot more loose than a traditional martial arts place.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW

I'm playing badminton. With how sore I am I might as well be getting kicked in the face. 

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Awww, I thought this thread was going to be about anal sex.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By myke_tuna
@Alex_Murphy: I thought it was going to be about autofellatio.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I take a martial art called krav maga. I think sam fisher is using that in the newest splinter cell game though. I can disarm just about anything.  

If the op wants to read about it, sure, it's right here. It's just not alot of ppl heard of this martial art. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga    
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GreggD

My high school teacher was training in Aikido. He taught me a few things.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

The closest I've come to that is yoga. How's that close? Well, they're both Eastern methods of exercise. For actual combat, faux sword fights work well.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@myketuna said:
" @Alex_Murphy: I thought it was going to be about autofellatio. "
I thought he was going to tell everyone he just had a painful, but satisfying shit and then brag about giving birth to the largest turd in existence. Like this guy (measured in courics):

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
@Lind_L_Taylor: There are terrible comedians in every crowd.

@roofy said:
" just curious, why did you choose aikido?  im a blue belt in Gōjū-ryū, trying to get my black and finish it up (i've been doing it for 15 years!) "

I decided to try aikido mainly because of proximity.  There's a dojo within walking distance of where I live, and it's on the way home from work.  For other martial arts, I'd have to go out of my way.

I have previous experience in Tae Kwon Do, but I haven't taken that since high school and never progressed beyond green belt.  Aikido is a drastically different martial art, which is another reason that I wanted to try it.
JRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JRay

Aikido sounds interesting, i never knew it was very physically demanding
I used to think ninjitsu was hard when I was a kid...

When I started boxing it totally changed the goal posts. 
If you have a local gym go try it, you will become an addict in no time!

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Driadon

I love Aikido. I took it a few years back, but unfortunately I've had to take a bit of a hiatus. I got up to 7th Kyu, if I remember correctly.

You must be sore because you're not used to rolling...or you didn't stretch enough and got used for demonstration :P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
@JRay said:
" Aikido sounds interesting, i never knew it was very physically demanding I used to think ninjitsu was hard when I was a kid...  When I started boxing it totally changed the goal posts.  If you have a local gym go try it, you will become an addict in no time! "
Aikido is a very grapple and throw-heavy martial art.  You get thrown to the mat a lot.  The very first lesson I had was actually proper technique on how to take a fall without hurting myself.  Even then, the mistakes I made are probably going to lead to bruises tomorrow.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@Driadon: Rolling is definitely something I'm not used to.  But I'll be getting used to it one way or another!
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Driadon
@Hailinel: Booh yeah, keep it up! In no time you'll learn how to relax your body to avoid getting hurt and then learn how to take someone down without flexing a damn muscle; it's incredible.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mrfizzy

I got my black belt in Taikwondo about 3-4 years ago, but i stopped shortly after that. Had been doing it long enough by then that i was over it. 

JRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JRay
@Hailinel said:
" @JRay said:
" Aikido sounds interesting, i never knew it was very physically demanding I used to think ninjitsu was hard when I was a kid...  When I started boxing it totally changed the goal posts.  If you have a local gym go try it, you will become an addict in no time! "
Aikido is a very grapple and throw-heavy martial art.  You get thrown to the mat a lot.  The very first lesson I had was actually proper technique on how to take a fall without hurting myself.  Even then, the mistakes I made are probably going to lead to bruises tomorrow. "
Ohhhhhhh bet you got the wind knocked out of you alot! I have a friend who used to box and went to MMA, he said that sometimes the throws and takedowns can make or break a sparring session due to sheer force of falling on your head and stuff and also positioning of the opponent after the throw. I personally am not cut out for that sort of thing, grappling takes technicallity haha
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Wolverine

Working out and getting healthy overall is a good feeling. I recently got a membership at a really nice gym in my area and it is helping me get in great shape. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'll be training in Muay Thai starting this summer, it's supposed to be one of the most strict and intense martial arts, SUPER.

DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DJL

Sounds fun. 

I get physically active by doing sit-ups after every meal (once I digested a bit), and when it's not insanely cold outside, shoot some hoops by myself or maybe with someone else.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@DJL said:
" Sounds fun.  I get physically active by doing sit-ups after every meal (once I digested a bit), and when it's not insanely cold outside, shoot some hoops by myself or maybe with someone else. "
Try not to kill yourself from the strain, brah
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've always wanted to learn Tai Chi but i'll probably never get round to it.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah I hate when you don't work out for a bit. That first time back is the worst the next couple days.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I play squash. Means balls get thwacked into my face all the time.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By yani

No Caption Provided
   But seriously, was doing kick-boxing, really enjoyed it as well.  Problem is i tore my acl playing rugby so can't really do it anymore.  Just about getting fit enough so that my knee doesn't hurt all the time now.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By rjayb89
@HitmanAgent47: OH YEAH? 

BUT CAN YOU DISARM SOMETHING YOU DON'T EVEN SEE? LIKE IN THE PICTURE BELOW? HMMM?? 

Didn't think so.
 Didn't think so.
ooofafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ooofafa
@DanielJW: racquetball is better
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael
@roofy said:
"im a blue belt in Gōjū-ryū, trying to get my black and finish it up (i've been doing it for 15 years!)"
I practiced  Gōjū-ryū karate for roughly three years, but quit a couple of months ago. I was little more than half a year from getting my black belt.

I know, four years to black belt seems really fast, but trust me, the training was tough. Like, really tough; we're talking two hours a day, six days a week, and that's not counting the time I spent training before and after class. I also had a very, very good sensei.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Bombs_Away

Yeah I do Muay Thai and BJJ. I'm going to France for a few months after Easter and I'm planning on doing some Savate and Judo while I'm out there, they've got a pretty good set up for that.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By roofy
@Icemael said:
" @roofy said:
"im a blue belt in Gōjū-ryū, trying to get my black and finish it up (i've been doing it for 15 years!)"
I practiced  Gōjū-ryū karate for roughly three years, but quit a couple of months ago. I was little more than half a year from getting my black belt.

I know, four years to black belt seems really fast, but trust me, the training was tough. Like, really tough; we're talking two hours a day, six days a week, and that's not counting the time I spent training before and after class. I also had a very, very good sensei. "
seriously? thats some intense training. i've been doing it since i was 5 years old, 3 days a week with 1 1/2 hour classes.
 whats the name of your sensei?
pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pepsipat1
@Hailinel:
I  used to take kung-fu but my sifu pissed me off so much. I had to renew my payment method and he came up to me and said that legally I could not be there anymore. He came up to me and not the other people who told me they had not renewed their payment methods. The short version is that I had a bad experience. Would you recommend the martial art you are currently taking?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
@PepsiPat: That sucks. :/

After taking my second class tonight, I'd definitely say I recommend it.  It can be very physically demanding, but thus far I've been getting a lot out of it.  The sensei and advanced students are very helpful, and they're understanding when it comes to newcomers making mistakes.  My next class isn't until Tuesday, but that might be a good thing since I'm pretty beat up right now.  Getting active after spending so much time behind desks and computers is a real jolt.
IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IcySandman

I took like 3 weeks of Taikwondo, but it seemed like a large daycare and I was 11 at the time..

I took Kenpo for a almost a year, got to purple belt.

I always wanted to take a martial art, but my parents would never really wanted to pay for it.  I know that could be cleared up with a job, but I think I'll wait a year for college since they usually have a martial art there....

I know this is random, but you ought to try out nunchaku.  They're cheap, and you can start out with foam ones in order to save yourself from seriously hurting yourself, so you can move on to traditional wood ones, speedchucks etc.  They're quite fun and really help with hand-eye coordination.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm actively searching for a Hung Gar dojo in my city but it's goddamn hard to find. Obscure, but it looks great. Classic shaolin tiger-crane shit.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Mrnitropb

Akido guys frighten me just for the sheer lack of movement they have to initiate to fuck your day up. 
The demonstration that stands out in my mind (i.e. the one I got "volunteered' for) had Dan (i know) standing up, hands crossed infrotn of him. I had to grab his right wrist, as if restraining him. He simply moved his left hand over mine, and his right hand lighty grasped my wrist, tenderly almost. He simply rotated his right hands and i was forced to DO A FUCKING FLIP! He was talking the whole time, and never skipped a beat.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael
@roofy said:
" @Icemael said:
" @roofy said:

I know, four years to black belt seems really fast, but trust me, the training was tough. Like, really tough; we're talking two hours a day, six days a week, and that's not counting the time I spent training before and after class. I also had a very, very good sensei. "
seriously? thats some intense training. i've been doing it since i was 5 years old, 3 days a week with 1 1/2 hour classes.  whats the name of your sensei? "
Takashi Masuyama.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
Same here. Mainly because I currently have company knocking at my back door.
Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nitrocore

I'm highly trained in ass kickery, and when that doesn't go to plan, run the fuck away fast!.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DCFGS3

Goddamit, I came in here expecting a lesson on STI's...

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ben99

got into karate and quit ... I got some fatal moves though

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@MrKlorox said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
Same here. Mainly because I currently have company knocking at my back door. "

Your back door swings both ways it seems.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
 Your back door swings both ways it seems. "
Nope. It's an exit only. I just keep it locked from the inside
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@MrKlorox said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
 Your back door swings both ways it seems. "
Nope. It's an exit only. I just keep it locked from the inside "
So the "company" is coming from the inside?  Ok.  I could really use a good decent shit right about now myself.
Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sinatra

I took some martial arts when I was younger. 

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By eclipsesis
@roofy:

Dude your not a black belt and you have been doing it for 15 years, there is something wrong with that.

I practice Tae kwon do and I'm a 3rd Dan 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#47  Edited By Yummylee
@yourworstnightmare:
I guess you're an old friend of his?..
Afroman269

Forum Posts