#1 Edited by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

Basically I am going to see the new batman film. I have the choice of seeing it in IMAX but it means it will be a trip into london and it'll be much more expensive as opposed to seeing it in my home town cinema which will be considerably cheaper. What should I do? Is IMAX worth it in my situation? Also I'd have to go alone because nobody I know wants to go to London to watch a movie, if I go to my home town cinema I'll have people to go with.

#2 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

the second batman was amazing for imax because it was filmed for it. I think they would do the same for this one.

#3 Posted by Brendan (7664 posts) -

I don't even really know what makes IMAX different. Is it just a larger screen with a different aspect ratio?

#4 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

IMAX is 100 xs better for RISES.

They filmed most of the film in IMAX as opposed to just the action sequences.

Go big or go home.

#5 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

@Brendan said:

I don't even really know what makes IMAX different. Is it just a larger screen with a different aspect ratio?

Bigger screen, a taller aspect ratio and a much crisper, higher resolution image. Not to mention the speaker setup in most IMAX theaters is far better than the "normal" theaters.

#6 Posted by ichthy (468 posts) -

The best part of IMAX here is RESERVED SEATING.

#7 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

depends on you man. personally the imax is comfortable. But it costs so much more its not worth it to me. But if you got the extra cash i dont see why not.

#8 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

Okay, I've been shoehorned into going to a "normal" theater.

New question. Is it worth it to see it a second time in IMAX ?

#9 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

They need more IMAX cinemas, there's less than a dozen in the UK alone...

#10 Posted by Brendan (7664 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

@Brendan said:

Bigger screen, a taller aspect ratio and a much crisper, higher resolution image. Not to mention the speaker setup in most IMAX theaters is far better than the "normal" theaters.

But aren't most IMAX theaters multiplexes, not classic setups?

#11 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

IMAX all the way, buddy. I like the one in Wimbledon, because that one has amazing seating Raking. As in, you can *always* see above the guy in front of you. The other one around London (not the BFI one), in kingston, has terrible Raking. It sucks.

But I'm an IMAX convert, if I can see a film that way, I always will.

#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Apparently IMAX is 3D only? So, fuck that noise.

#13 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

@Brendan said:

But aren't most IMAX theaters multiplexes, not classic setups?

No idea; I can only speak for my local IMAX, which is part of a Regal theater, but is in a separate building outside the regular theater. My only experiences with IMAX theaters are in standalone buildings, but I've only been to three different ones.

#14 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

@Napalm: Nah, it's not. Most movies shown in IMAX aren't IMAX at all, and just take advantage of the sound the system provides. To my knowledge, I'm not certain there are any movies filmed in IMAX that are 3D, but maybe I'm wrong. The new Batman has zero 3D too.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

@Napalm: Nah, it's not. Most movies shown in IMAX aren't IMAX at all, and just take advantage of the sound the system provides. To my knowledge, I'm not certain there are any movies filmed in IMAX that are 3D, but maybe I'm wrong. The new Batman has zero 3D too.

"YO IMAX!"

"YO, 3D!"

"YO HEEEEEELL NO!"

This was the conversation that occured between myself and the lady at the counter when talking about Avengers in IMAX.

#16 Posted by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

@Napalm: Man I'd have loved to have seen that conversation.

#17 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

@Tylea002: Thanks this is pretty good info. I'll probably catch it again in IMAX at wimbledon if it's any good, just to see the difference.

I forsee myself becoming an IMAX convert like yourself, an IMAX-ian

#18 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

@AlianthaBerries: Well if it's going to be super expensive... maybe just see it with your buddies. It'll be more fun that way. But if you can get to an IMAX, preferably with friends, do it.

IMAX is undoubtedly the best way to watch a movie. 95% of movies shown in IMAX aren't IMAX whatsoever though, they just take advantage of the better seating and sound. The speakers in the IMAX theatre are built into the screen (which is actually transparent - you can see the speakers when no light is projected in to it) and I can't emphasize how much better that sound is. We have two IMAX screens in Edmonton, two of those AVX and I think a dozen or so THX theatres -- IMAX wins every time, no contest. But real IMAX is so rare you barely ever have a reason to go. Anyone who saw The Dark Knight in IMAX will tell you those sequences are mind-blowing, and there's over 100 minutes (I think) of IMAX footage in TDKR... that's... crazy, and completely unheard of.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

@Napalm: That's amazing.

Yeah Avengers is a perfect example: it doesn't fit the IMAX ratio, wasn't filmed in IMAX (not one scene), and has 3D. Really, really lame way to bump ticket prices up to 20 some dollars.

#20 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Apparently IMAX is 3D only? So, fuck that noise.

What? There is no The Dark Knight Rises in 3D.

#21 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE: Yeah I'll definitely go for a viewing in IMAX after I go to my local "normal" cinema. None of the people I know care at all about this stuff at all.

It's a no-brainer really, it's just nice to see what all you duders had to say about it.

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

I am debating weather or not to watch it in IMAX as well. Probably won't due to the extra cost.

#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Yes, do it. Saw it opening night, was amazing at IMAX.

#24 Posted by smallmanoncampus (114 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@GERALTITUDE said:

"YO IMAX!"

"YO, 3D!"

"YO HEEEEEELL NO!"

This was the conversation that occured between myself and the lady at the counter when talking about Avengers in IMAX.

Wait, so which one of you said what?

#25 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -

@AlianthaBerries said:

Okay, I've been shoehorned into going to a "normal" theater.

New question. Is it worth it to see it a second time in IMAX ?

Ask yourself that after you see the movie.

#26 Posted by Whitestripes09 (397 posts) -

I am personally a IMAX fan, any of the big action Blockbuster movies are worth it in my opinion simply because of the visuals and that thumping sound system. There's one movie theater in particular in my town that I hate with a passion because they get a ton of elderly customers and they always complain that the movie is too loud so they permanently leave the volume lower. It's irritating when the explosins aren't as loud or as crisp as they should sound and one of the many reasons why I got to IMAX is simply for the sound system they install and for the volume that they put it at.