Important Star Trek Question

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By razzdrazz

Poll Important Star Trek Question (119 votes)

Deep Space Nine is good 73%
It's Crap, but I love it anyway 8%
Find something else to watch 17%

I finally finished The Next Generation and began Deep Space Nine, but I have an important question: Is it worth committing all that time to watching all the episodes?

For me, Star Trek is either Shatner/Nimoy or Stewart and company. I know there's a bit of crossover (O'Brian, Worf, some Picard), but I have a hard time seeing myself getting attached to the characters in Deep Space. Your opinions?

• 
Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The thing to note about DS9 is just how different it is to the rest of trek, it's much more focused on drawn out character building and the people coming on and off the station. The charcters can be great though, a handful like dax and ohdo are classic.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Akyho

I voted and then read your question. Which is what I was going to say to backup my vote.

TNG you just finished and you should have noticed something...the first season is kinda crap. After that its good....what changed?

No Caption Provided

TNG showed us what a series needs to become good.

Riker/Frakes grew a beard.

When you see this in DS9 it gets gooooooooooood.

No Caption Provided

Babylon 5 is similar once it got out of the first series is became great. When they changed uniforms it became freaking awsome.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Deep Space Nine is fantastic and doesn't get the credit it deserves. Sisko is up there with Picard for me.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek series. It gets off to a slow start, sticking to the more traditional Star Trek format of telling individual stories in each episode. But once the Dominion get introduced and the story becomes more of a cohesive, flowing story, it's fantastic. It's absolutely worth sticking with. You won't regret it.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I love Deepspace Nine but yeah, you will have issues with the first season, it is mega slow but it does do a good job of building up the crew and letting us get to know them. Give it time, by the time the Dominion Wars begin you will be hooked.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every Trek show has a slow start with the first couple of seasons, but once the actors and writers start to get a feel for the characters, they get better fast. DS9 is no exception, and I rank it right up there with TNG. Sisko is the only other captain that rivals Picard in my mind.

Keep in mind, I'm one of those weirdos who didn't think Voyager was as bad as everyone made it out to be, so maybe I'm just "easy" or something.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep Space 9 is more consistently good than TNG. It may not hit some of the highest marks set by TNG, but it never quite hits the lowest lows either. Some TNG episodes are fucking painful to watch. *coughwesleycrushercough*

DS9 has the worst ending though...

Macksujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 is a close second to TNG. The general consensus here is spot on; once you get over the early establishment of characters, relationships and setting the show really makes good use of being set in a (mostly) single location.

Also Jadzia Dax....that is all.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 is a very underrated Star Trek series.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

When DS9 was airing I watched it indifferently, but I have to say I have come to appreciate the show more. It suffered from the issue that all ST shows suffer from - outdated 60s view of the world and future, but it was at least slightly more 'character driven' then most of the other shows.

I was really hoping they would reboot Star Trek before the latest movies came out, make it more realistic, more science based, etc. But now I just hope some other company makes a new show that competes with Star Trek.

I really enjoy military documentaries about people on warships...carriers, subs, etc. I think the next science fiction show that involves a crew on a ship should from the ground up be made based on the expert knowledge of navy advisers. No matter how high tech a ship becomes there is always a ship which is a mechanical device and the people or things that maintain it. The whole show should be about the lower decks and the jr. officers in charge, the Captain and XO should all be people you never see teh faces of on eh show they are just walking torsos that the people on the ship are in awe of/and fear.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know the best episode of TOS? You know the one....the one with the Tribbles? DS9 time travels back to that time and is supplanted into actual TOS footage. Its just an amazing thing to see.

Loading Video...
MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

bajoran heavy episodes are crap, the rest of the series is great.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Deep Space Nine is better than TNG. The characters are better. If you have a hard time getting attached to Quark and Odo, well, I don't know what to tell you.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AMyggen

DS9 holds up the best of any Star Trek show in my opinion. The first season is a bit iffy, but when that show gets going it's by far my favourite Star Trek show.

I highly recommend AV Club's reviews of the show (the reviews are by Star Trek fan watching the show for the first time, so there's no spoilers there). I followed those reviews when I rewatched the show a couple of months ago, both the reviews and the comments are some of the most insightful and funny examples of Star Trek fandom out there.

Here's a link: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/star-trek-deep-space-nine,323/ (can't hotlink on this tablet).

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 is by far my favorite star trek. Personally i think DS9 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than TNG.

The captain is better, the characters are better, the stories are better. It has an over arching plot. Events actually effect other episodes.

It's a shame its so underrated. Sisko > Picard.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Deep Space 9 is pretty boring until they get the Defiant and the war starts. The show does get really good about 2 seasons in.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

I voted and then read your question. Which is what I was going to say to backup my vote.

TNG you just finished and you should have noticed something...the first season is kinda crap. After that its good....what changed?

No Caption Provided

TNG showed us what a series needs to become good.

Riker/Frakes grew a beard.

When you see this in DS9 it gets gooooooooooood.

No Caption Provided

Babylon 5 is similar once it got out of the first series is became great. When they changed uniforms it became freaking awsome.

Yup. Thats just about perfect.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep Space Nine is OK, but don't be fooled by the people who will tell you it is as good as the original series or Next Generation.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As far as I am concerned the only bad Star Trek show is Enterprise. That was just terrible. Everything else is pretty good.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've always heard mixed things on Deep Space nine. Never attempted to watch it personally though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd agree with the general consensus here, it's arguably the best of Star Trek. It's a bit "darker" which some fans took offensive to, but it easily has the best character development, story arcs and most consistent performances. There's some really amazing episodes too and it deals with the issues of war beyond just the "lets blow stuff up!".

In the Pale Moonlight is probably the best episode of Star Trek ever.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

bajoran heavy episodes are crap, the rest of the series is great.

Wrong, and I bet you will agree with me when I say, the real crap was any episode in DS9 about the 'mirror universe'.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By circlenine

DS9 is my favorite because it sticks to a single storyline for a huge portion of the show rather than a 3-4 episode arc at most that you see in any of the other series. Well I guess Enterprise did it too but I only watched like 5 episodes of that one.

Anyways it's good but you should skip the mirror universe episodes because those are all fucking awful. You can probably skip most (there is one really good one that I can recall) of the O'Brien/Keiko centric episodes too. So maybe that's like 8 episodes I really didn't like over the course of the entire run.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The first 2 seasons of DS9 are difficult to sit through, it gets good after that. It's to bad that Enterprise didn't get the same chance since it followed the same pattern.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I spend years avoiding DS9 because I thought it was boring after all the action of TNG. But you know what? I love it. Just don't go in expecting it to be exactly like the other shows.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 did a great job expanding the Star Trek universe. It is definitely worth watching.

It is different than the other Trek series, except maybe Enterprise. It focuses more on an overarching plot, character development, and the underbelly of the Star Trek universe.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By spctre

DS9 is the only Star Trek show to date with an actual ensemble cast, and they pulled it off incredibly well. It did take about two seasons to really get going, but the same could be said for the other TNG-era shows.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Venatio

I love DS9, Sisko is my favorite "commander"

Duskwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Duskwind

DS9 starts off slow, but gets good as you progress...especially after they acquire the Defiant. And the later seasons are amazing...no Trek series has done a full-scale war the way DS9 did.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Well, shit. You guys are convincing me to watch DS9. I super love TNG, but I'm down for a different flavor of Star Trek.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By penguindust

@wintersnowblind said:

In the Pale Moonlight is probably the best episode of Star Trek ever.

What this guy said. Sisko was a uniquely different captain than Kirk, Picard or Janeway. Kirk was rough and tumble, Picard more cerebral and Janeway was an attempt to combine the two with mediocre results. Still, they were admirable Starfleet officers. Sisko was put in a bad situation and wasn't running around the galaxy like the others. When push came to shove he wasn't above getting his hands dirty to get things done. In the Pale Moonlight is a perfect example of this and has one of the most memorable endings of any Star Trek episode.

The final season of DS9 is a bit hit or miss, though. I enjoyed the baseball episode. It was just fun after all the tension of the previous seasons.