In the year 2012...

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By TheWesman

I know this blog and this website in general are devoted to Video Games, but I've got to say something about a movie, no, a series of movies, dare I say a CAREER of movies that got old about 5 years ago.

Roland Emmerich...yeah, I know.  The man has decided to direct a "new" film called "2012."  In this movie, the characters (brand name actors I would assume) are rumored to be trying to escape the end of the world.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, every movie he's made.  The end comes this time with a series of natural disasters.  And how would the government prepare 6 Billion people for the end?  "They Wouldn't."  Straight from the teaser trailer, friends.

So, from the same guy who has destroyed the world, and more frequently New York, more than any director I've known, we have another hit on our hands. 

And in case you have no idea what I'm talking about and don't frequent imdb.com, I'll spell it out:

Emmerich has made SO many disaster movies, it's ridiculous.  He's become a one trick pony.  He directed Independence Day (where aliens destroy all the major cities of the world, in slow motion greenish blue explosions, including New York), Godzilla (Where a giant, radioactive French Iguana destroys New York and lays it's eggs in Madison Square Garden), The Day After Tomorrow (Where that evil dastardly Global Warming makes the world die a horrible death, and in the process, destroys New York), and now 2012, where New York will surely suffer a similar horrible fate.

Too harsh you say?  Ok, he DID make the Stargate movie.  Which was fairly original.  But even on that topic, when MGM decided to make a series about it, he condemned it and assured people he had nothing to do with the idea.  Then that series went on for a 10 year run and got a spinoff that's still on tv now.  Also, he directed The Patriot, u know, the one where Mel Gibson wins the Revolutionary War, and the British are portrayed about as fairly as the Persians in "300" were...

Last but not least of the notables, he directed Universal Soldier.  Yeah.

Guess I'm done with that for now.  I should probably talk games a bit, just so I don't lose readers.

I am LOVING Fallout 3.  I'm sad to hear so many people are having freezing issues on different versions of the game.  I'm running the 360 version and haven't had any issues like that whatsoever.  I haven't gotten bored with it yet and the combat isn't as bad as all that.  It just depends on how you play it really.

Sad to say, LittleBigPlanet hasn't gotten much play lately.  I've been drawing out plans for levels to build and publish, but that stuff is really time consuming, so I haven't been able to just pick it up and play it as much as I've wanted to.  And now on top of all this, I got this game called Chrono Trigger coming out the first day of my Thanksgiving break that has 14 endings and timeless game play that I've heard SO much about.  So that will consume any time between the times I'm not in class or in front of a television.  So I'm completely booked.

In fact, why am I still writing on here?!?  haha

If you have any opinions on which games to focus on, or your take on Emmerich's New York bashing career, please feel free to leave a comment.

Talk to ya'll later.  Next time my plan is to discuss the joys of signing up for MGS Online and that long lost story of Amazon Preordering and Shipping!

Later,

Wesman

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheWesman

I know this blog and this website in general are devoted to Video Games, but I've got to say something about a movie, no, a series of movies, dare I say a CAREER of movies that got old about 5 years ago.

Roland Emmerich...yeah, I know.  The man has decided to direct a "new" film called "2012."  In this movie, the characters (brand name actors I would assume) are rumored to be trying to escape the end of the world.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, every movie he's made.  The end comes this time with a series of natural disasters.  And how would the government prepare 6 Billion people for the end?  "They Wouldn't."  Straight from the teaser trailer, friends.

So, from the same guy who has destroyed the world, and more frequently New York, more than any director I've known, we have another hit on our hands. 

And in case you have no idea what I'm talking about and don't frequent imdb.com, I'll spell it out:

Emmerich has made SO many disaster movies, it's ridiculous.  He's become a one trick pony.  He directed Independence Day (where aliens destroy all the major cities of the world, in slow motion greenish blue explosions, including New York), Godzilla (Where a giant, radioactive French Iguana destroys New York and lays it's eggs in Madison Square Garden), The Day After Tomorrow (Where that evil dastardly Global Warming makes the world die a horrible death, and in the process, destroys New York), and now 2012, where New York will surely suffer a similar horrible fate.

Too harsh you say?  Ok, he DID make the Stargate movie.  Which was fairly original.  But even on that topic, when MGM decided to make a series about it, he condemned it and assured people he had nothing to do with the idea.  Then that series went on for a 10 year run and got a spinoff that's still on tv now.  Also, he directed The Patriot, u know, the one where Mel Gibson wins the Revolutionary War, and the British are portrayed about as fairly as the Persians in "300" were...

Last but not least of the notables, he directed Universal Soldier.  Yeah.

Guess I'm done with that for now.  I should probably talk games a bit, just so I don't lose readers.

I am LOVING Fallout 3.  I'm sad to hear so many people are having freezing issues on different versions of the game.  I'm running the 360 version and haven't had any issues like that whatsoever.  I haven't gotten bored with it yet and the combat isn't as bad as all that.  It just depends on how you play it really.

Sad to say, LittleBigPlanet hasn't gotten much play lately.  I've been drawing out plans for levels to build and publish, but that stuff is really time consuming, so I haven't been able to just pick it up and play it as much as I've wanted to.  And now on top of all this, I got this game called Chrono Trigger coming out the first day of my Thanksgiving break that has 14 endings and timeless game play that I've heard SO much about.  So that will consume any time between the times I'm not in class or in front of a television.  So I'm completely booked.

In fact, why am I still writing on here?!?  haha

If you have any opinions on which games to focus on, or your take on Emmerich's New York bashing career, please feel free to leave a comment.

Talk to ya'll later.  Next time my plan is to discuss the joys of signing up for MGS Online and that long lost story of Amazon Preordering and Shipping!

Later,

Wesman

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By serbsta

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By trulyalive

He also directed the awful, awwwwwwwwfuuuuuuuuul 10,000 BC (and if you've not yet seen it, I wholly suggest you forget I even mentioned it.)

But there is one reason that I am convinced I'm going to love 2012, regardless of all it's flaws:
John Cusack. Goddamn, I love that guy, and if anyone can bring a terrible movie to a 'watchable' state, it's John Cusack. or Sam Jackson...but he's not involved =(

Don't you think it's weird that Emmerich condemned us Brits in the Patriot, but enjoys killing you yanks a lot more? I suppose as long as his home, Germany is safe, he doesn't really care (NOTE: not racism, I'm just bashing the individual, not the nation)

And don't bother with MGS Online. It's not really worth the 20 minutes you'll spend shouting at your playstation =/

Mittt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mittt

You are in for a treat with Chrono Trigger. This was one of my all time favorites from when I was a little kid. It borders on being the perfect RPG in my humble opinion. Also, I agree with the above post. MGO is a waste of time. There are so many other games more worthy of your online gaming time. That isn't to say that MGS4 wasn't a fabulous game. It was one the best I've played of this generation. The online portion is hooie though. HOOIE I SAY!!!

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheWesman

Thanks for the opinions!  Also, it's too late my friends.  I already attempted that MGO sign up before I even wrote that blog up there.  I was just too amazed at the time to put my thoughts into words.  (The bad kind of amazed, in case you were wondering)  I'll rant on that later.  :-)

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MetalGearSunny

My sackboy is mad at you.

Play LittleBigPlanet!! :P

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Jotun

The only time I played MGO was during the beta and I promised myself I woldn't put myself through that again, haha.

I hope to get Fallout 3 soon, it looks really good and everyone I know that has played it has recommended it.

I might check out 2012. For some reason I've always loves scenes of disasters in movies. Even if they are horrible atrocities to the art form of film.