Inactive GB Accounts

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By THE_END

How long can someone have an inactive Giant Bomb account before it is deleted?

I'm just wondering because I notice that this person last logged in more than 1 year ago:  http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ej902/

I'm sure there are alot more that are similar (or even went longer without logging in) but doesn't this waste space and slightly degrade the amount of website space available?

We need to purge the crap out of this website so we have more room for more cool stuff like Quick Looks and cool videos that take up alot of space.  Just saying.......

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Accounts are not deleted because of inactivity. And while I'm no expert on these things, I don't think user accounts take up too much server space. I'm sure if/when it becomes an issue, the staffers will take the appropriate action, but there is really no need to worry about it.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer

I imagine theres a few thousand inactive accounts out there, but theres no way that takes up very much server space, especially when you consider the size of all the video for the endurance run. Its just not comparable, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Inactive user pimp our user count 
so, keep them

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Although I understand your sentiment, getting space is pretty cheap nowadays.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

Doesnt having more accounts on website mean  more money from ads and so forth? (good thing)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#7  Edited By citizenkane

That date on his activity page doesn't mean that's the last time the user logged in.  It just means the last time they were "active" in that they posted in the forums, commented on a video/story or edited a wiki.  You can still log in to watch videos and read news stories and it wouldn't show up on the user's Activity.  So don't let those dates fool you.

Also, as MattyFM has stated, Giant Bomb does not delete user accounts unless for certain or extreme situations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Now that I think about how much space an account takes up, which is very little, how much space do all those videos take up on youtube, that must be insane.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK
@CitizenKane said:

" That date on his activity page doesn't mean that's the last time the user logged in.  It just means the last time they were "active" in that they posted in the forums, commented on a video/story or edited a wiki.  You can still log in to watch videos and read news stories and it wouldn't show up on the user's Activity. So don't let those dates fool you. "

I was about to say this, but even beyond that a user could disable the publishing of that stuff to their activity feed in Settings.

@Pie said:

" Doesnt having more accounts on website mean  more money from ads and so forth? (good thing) "

I'm pretty sure that is based upon the number of views/clicks the ad gets. An advertiser may be more inclined to advertise on a site with more users, but more likely they will simply want to know how much traffic the site gets.