Inception and The Sorcerer's Apprentice

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By beatlebrainiac

Two movies that come out this weekend, and they couldn't be more opposite. 
One is directed by a critically-acclaimed filmmaker that hasn't made a wrong step yet. The other is directed by the guy that gave us National Treasure 2. 
One features a notable lack of computer-assisted effects, while the other features a notable lack of non-computer-assisted effects. 
One features a bevy of award-winning and award-nominated actors and actresses; the other features Nicholas "I wish it were still the 90s" Cage and the stoned dude from Knocked Up. 
One asks you to use your mind and awards those that approach the film with critical thinking. The other asks you to sit in a seat for two hours while it does its best to disintegrate your senses. 

The sad thing is, I sense in my heart that the general American audience will go out in drones to see Sorcerer's Apprentice, yet they won't think twice about avoiding Inception because it's not stupid enough for their tastes. And that makes my heart sad.

thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By thatguy42

They both aren't being released in 3D therefore I will see both.  Sorcerer's Apprentice so I can shut down my brain and just have some silly movie fun and Inception cause it actually looks interesting.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

No one wants to see another fucking Harry Potter knock-off. 

Inception is going to beat it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Anything you like the general public is too stupid to get, probably you predict. That's not snobby at all. The Dark Knight did great and its by the same director, your line of thinking is pretty stupid.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I can't see any of the Sorcerer's Apprentice trailers without immediately thinking of How to train your dragon.  The dude has in my opinion a weirdly likable voice.

I have been wanting to watch Inception from the first moment i saw the trailer though so my choice is obvious.

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beatlebrainiac
@ryanwho: Might be snobby, but it's not stupid. Look how much money both National Treasure movies made. Look how much Transformers 2 made. Look how much money the Twilight movies have made. Look how much money fucking The Last Airbender made.  
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

Inception is going to be way better than the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I don't care too much for Nicholas Cage, and he definitely seems out of place in a movie like this.

DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DaManGB

Inception looks fucking amazing.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sagesebas
@beatlebrainiac: A guy i work with said he thought Inception looked bad and he was more excited for the sorcerers apprentice, 

never liked that guy much
beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beatlebrainiac
@sagesebas: I live in the south. That is my entire life. 
thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatguy42
@beatlebrainiac said:
" @ryanwho: Might be snobby, but it's not stupid. Look how much money both National Treasure movies made. Look how much Transformers 2 made. Look how much money the Twilight movies have made. Look how much money fucking The Last Airbender made.   "
It's not how much money the movie makes, but how much profit it makes.  Last Airbender I think had no profit (thankfully).  So I guess I hope that if Inception does poorly in theaters, it does really well when it goes to blu-ray/dvd.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster
@beatlebrainiac said:
" @ryanwho: Might be snobby, but it's not stupid. Look how much money both National Treasure movies made. Look how much Transformers 2 made. Look how much money the Twilight movies have made. Look how much money fucking The Last Airbender made.   "
Don't forget High School Musical 3... that made a ton of money.
Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dragon_Fire

Inception is what I'm defiantly going to see.
Really don't care much for Sorcerer's Apprentice. (Seems bland)

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beatlebrainiac
@Axxol: Yeah, now stack those against the GOOD movies that have made alot of money. There aren't that many. And there are even less original good movies that have made money. Unless it features a super-hero or some other recognizable character, it's almost certainly made to fail at the box office. And that's a damn shame. It's the reason we have so many remakes and sequels.  As if Marmaduke wasn't offensive enough, they're making a goddamn Smurfs movie. Think about that one for a while, and tell me I'm wrong for my general hatred for the general movie-going public.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By armaan8014
@beatlebrainiac: 
I'm feeling sad with you let's feel sad together.
I know some of my HS classmates who went to see Shutter Island together. And didn't "get it". Then called the movie useless.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By teh_destroyer
@beatlebrainiac said:
National Treasure was actually a pretty decent movie for what it was worth. I have my ticket to watch Inception in theaters at the IMAX at midnight showing, its going to be great :).
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Lies

dude Nick Cage is pretty rad you shut your filthy mouth.

That said I will be seeing Inception on Friday.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm pretty positive Inception is going to make more money than The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  I would be willing to bet on it.  Also, you could have shortened this entire thread into one simple sentence, "I think I am smarter than everyone else because I'm going to see Inception".

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Nothing wrong with enjoying a dumb movie, and nothing wrong with not liking a movie that does it's best to confuse you and make you think.  Some people just aren't in to that kind of thing.  I'll probably see both.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emkeighcameron

Well I hate Di Crapio and Nick "NOT THE BEES" Cage, so I'm just going to sit home and play VIDEOGAMES.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By immike

Nicolas Cage is hit or miss. I do agree that Inception looks pretty entertaining. I don't expect either movie to blow me out of my seat, so I will most likely enjoy both.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Red

I like Pirates of the Caribbean, and I also liked How to Train Your Dragon and Matchstick Men quite a bit. 

That being said, I am seeing Inception this Friday. I love Christopher Nolan's work, and find the movie's Matrix meets con-movie premise fascinating. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

So your saying its not ok to see movies just for fun?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jkz

From what critics are saying, Inception isn't really that "intellectual" of a movie. Being more intelligent than films that are utterly devoid of any intelligence whatsoever doesn't denote a super-sophisticated film. 

I'm really excited for Inception, but I think people are going overboard with the expectation that it's going to be the next Memento. It seems Nolan was going for a more general audience with the film.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
Inception has the buzz, it will take the top spot, but I suspect Apprentice will still do better than Last Airbender.  Probably, Prince of Persia numbers domestically.  I think Sorcerers Apprentice, if it's decent, will do better than Inception overseas.  Uncomplicated Hollywood movies with stunning special effects tend to translate well overseas. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BraveToaster
@beatlebrainiac said:
" @Axxol: Yeah, now stack those against the GOOD movies that have made alot of money. There aren't that many. And there are even less original good movies that have made money. Unless it features a super-hero or some other recognizable character, it's almost certainly made to fail at the box office. And that's a damn shame. It's the reason we have so many remakes and sequels.  As if Marmaduke wasn't offensive enough, they're making a goddamn Smurfs movie. Think about that one for a while, and tell me I'm wrong for my general hatred for the general movie-going public. "
I think it's silly to hate someone just because they don't like the same movie as you. 
beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beatlebrainiac
@doublezeroduck: Do those places have an off-topic? Never been to either site so not certain, but yeah if you're getting chastised for posting anything on an "anything goes" sub-forum, that's pretty dumb.  

@jukezypoo: Shouldn't we be saying the next Dark Knight now? Love both films but it seems to me the general consensus is that the Dark Knight is the best Nolan's done.