Indian-American wins pageant internet reacts like idiots.

• 114 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So last night was the Miss America Pageant. Nina Davuluri a woman of Indian decent won the title and the pageant. This set off twitter into an absolutely pathetic display of racist ignorant fucking awful garbage.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a-lot-of-people-are-very-upset-that-an-indian-american-woman

I know people being racist assholes isn't a new thing by far but Christ man...just still seeing such willful ignorance and casual racism just still utterly bums me out and makes me angry. This poor girl worked just as hard as anyone else and now is getting tons of shit because a bunch of dumb asses apparently think that America is for white people only.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Wait, so she didn't win the internet?

Edit: but seriously...o_o I can only hope that all of them are joking/trolling.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The problem with the internet is that it gives morons who would have been ignored before a soapbox that millions can listen to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

APPARENTLY MY POST DIDN'T POST. Getting tired of the absolute lack of functionality of these forums. Ever since CBSi there has been a stunning lack of giving a fuck around here.

So... I guess I shouldn't be surprised by how ignorant people are and yet here we are and I'm surprised. It's one thing to be ignorant, it's another to actively wish to remain ignorant, and it's another altogether to actively broadcast your ignorance. Good Christ, man, if I had seen that reaction in a movie I would think it was being hysterical, and yet there it is.

If there is one thing in this world that I would label as a complete moral good, it's KNOWLEDGE. Like a basic understanding of geography and anthropology.

All that said, I was hoping there would at least be a picture of pretty girl being pretty to balance out the twitter racism. The crying breakdown face, that ain't sexy. Unless you're into that.

Edit: you know what would be dope, if 'Real Miss America' Miss Kansas, the nice Aryan looking girl, came out and called all these people the racist, ignorant motherfuckers they are. What a face turn that would be.

... Or if she hit Miss New York with a steel chair and told her to 'girt ourt'. Building up for Kansas v New York on pay per view.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

That's just the sad world we live in.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Miss America winners rarely wow me with their looks. Hopefully she displayed some impressive talent and/or speaking skill that are not captured by pictures of her in a bathing suit.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet's continues to be a way for idiots and racists to voice their every stupid thought.

ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet continues to be a proving ground for the worst kinds of people? Color me shocked.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOve this quote ' I swear I'm not racist but this is America ' yes america a land born from taking non white peoples land, stupid bitch.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hilariously enough a good majority of these accounts now don't exist and the ones that do seem to be getting endlessly harassed by people calling them out.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The best post amongst the replies to all those horrible tweets points out that not only are this Miss America and Obama as American as anyone else, they are actually the personification of all that is supposed to be great about the country. What could be more American Dream than the children of immigrants working hard to reach the top of their professions. I thought that was what America was supposed to be all about. Apparently it only counts if you are white.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is what "news" has turned into? A 3 sentence opener followed by a bunch of twitter responses? I wouldn't be writing this if the article didn't credit a "writer" in the header.

But yeah did you really think that there would be any other reaction to this? There are racists everywhere; in america, in europe, in asia, australia, the latin countries, the african countries and even in portugal. Give them an open forum and they'll go to town. Such is life.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: Dude, its buzzfeed. The fact that this isn't a top 10 list IS news in itself.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

With a nose like that I would be upset too that she won. Wait, people are not flipping out because of her huge nose?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While the tweets are pretty horrible, you could probably pull tweets like this about literally any news story with even a hint of controversy. There has always been and always will be bad people, the Internet just makes them easier to find.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the best part is the runner up was also asian.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@vinny_says: Dude, its buzzfeed. The fact that this isn't a top 10 list IS news in itself.

lol nice.

Anywhoo, horrible ignorant morons continue to be horrible ignorant morons =/ Though it's admittedly kinda hilarious for the modern day stereotype of 'MURICA to be shown in full swing. This is America dagnabbit!! Damn foreigners; first our juuuurbs, now our padgeeeantss.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is basically what twitter is. Outside of everyone's carefully curated timeline lies a cesspool. This is not an isolated incident either, not even close.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/

if you have the stomach

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

The problem with the internet is that it gives morons who would have been ignored before a soapbox that millions can listen to.

nah, the problem with internet is that one-liner insults on twitter and in comment-fields are taken seriously. Any moron could go out in the street and yell that the sky is falling, and noone would care, but if it's on the internet suddenly people actually pay attention.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who think being American has anything to do with genetics are idiots.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's good to have reassurance that I live in a nation of equality. -____-

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People make me sad/

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

The internet brings out the scum of the earth. I'm not surprised. Just choose to ignore them.

I think having anybody able to win this kind of contest is exactly what America is all about. That was part of the whole point of the founding of the country, right? Equal rights, freedom of speech and religion, the opportunity to be what you wanted to be regardless of where you started out...I mean, it hasn't always been perfect, but that's been the idea.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knew a little diversity would bring so much discomfort...?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: You do. American laws are still equal. That some American citizens are _stupid_ says more about education than equality.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldenglishc

Considering the population was at 313.9 million people at the last census, our ratio of idiots to non-idiots is still pretty good.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why is this even news? What good does it do to report on something like this? This sort of thing should just be ignored.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Idiots, just idiots. Good on Buzzfeed for the public shaming.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

@jasonr86 said:

nah, the problem with internet is that one-liner insults on twitter and in comment-fields are taken seriously. Any moron could go out in the street and yell that the sky is falling, and noone would care, but if it's on the internet suddenly people actually pay attention.

That's surprisingly observant. Context and tone are two ways people can discern a person's intention through communication. With those two things gone (thanks to the Internet), it's hard to tell whether someone is joking, serious, or just being an ass because they felt like being an ass (everyone gets like that sometimes).

That being said the tweets on the buzzfeed article... I don't think there's anyone who can make a logical argument as to why they were the result of jokes and asses being asses. They seem far too mean spirited.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm pretty sure some of those tweets are jokes. These sound like the kind of dumb things I would say if I was making fun of racists.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miss America winners rarely wow me with their looks. Hopefully she displayed some impressive talent and/or speaking skill that are not captured by pictures of her in a bathing suit.

Given how the contest is judged nowadays, you can rest easy.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

You got to remember when Vanessa Williams won Miss America a lot of people were up in arms about her winning in the 80's. Just a lot of ignorant people out there, who think they're funny with their snarky remarks.

- You can also tell that some of these twitter messengers felt some sort of repercussion because almost all of them deleted, locked or changed their twitter handle. Seriously folks before saying dumb shit on the internet make sure you filter your mouth.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Haha. "THIS IS AMERICA"

Wow.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear, America, I am coming someday !

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm deeply offended every year when a Native American woman doesn't win.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King

If there is one thing in this world that I would label as a complete moral good, it's KNOWLEDGE.

But hasn't knowledge enabled history's greatest atrocities, not prevented them?

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a brown man, this is why I am living in Canada instead of AMERICA

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By super2j

You got to remember when Vanessa Williams won Miss America a lot of people were up in arms about her winning in the 80's. Just a lot of ignorant people out there, who think they're funny with their snarky remarks.

- You can also tell that some of these twitter messengers felt some sort of repercussion because almost all of them deleted, locked or changed their twitter handle. Seriously folks before saying dumb shit on the internet make sure you filter your mouth.

or maybe don't filter, how else can we figure out who needs to be educated?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By Castiel

These people are so stupid that I can't even comprehend it.

So I guess you are only really American if you are a white blonde... good to know.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

If there is one thing in this world that I would label as a complete moral good, it's KNOWLEDGE.

maybe its more when a small group has the knowledge and the rest don't, they blindly follow. If everybody knows what's up, then they will make it known to the people making bad decisions. A super low stakes (and not politically charged) example is when they tried to make internet usage based billing. Enough people understood that meant bad things and made sure to do everything to stop it. If none of us were aware and it just happened. Well suffice to say, the companies knew it was a money maker and tried to push misinformation. Just like how they did again when there were Rumors of Verizon coming to Canada, it was legit propaganda. I didnt even consider I was ignorant until someone asked "wouldn't more competition be better".

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jimbo
No Caption Provided

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

You'll have to be more specific, but if you're advocating for Neo-Luddism you're barking up the wrong tree. If you think our ability to understand how to build a bomb is what causes people to die, you'd have to say that our ability to craft a blade is what causes people to die, and you'd have to go all the way back to the first tools we ever built, a stick for throwing or a hand-held rock for smashing something. One of them was used to smash someone's head open, but I don't think you're ready to go back to living as apemen because 'knowledge enabled someone's head to be smashed open'.

People not caring for the lives of others is what enables atrocities, along with the ignorance that other people might not want to die.

To try and make any of this relevant to the thread; people being assholes to Miss New York are not assholes because they know too much, it's because some know and don't care what anyone else wants, and others don't fucking know what they're talking about. Like "she's an Arab" or "Indians are Al-Qaeda" or "Americans are white". Some know the truth and don't care, some don't know any better. You're never going to be able to do much about those who don't care about the lives of others, but a little dose of KNOWLEDGE fixes the latter group.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By beepmachine

@video_game_king said:

@brodehouse said:

I would say neither. Bad people will do bad things with or without knowledge. The same goes for good people.

Also, beauty pageants are dumb.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

This thread is worthless without pictures.

No Caption Provided

She's hot.

What I'd like to know: how the fuck did the tatooed lady get that far...it was a hideous tatoo even.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This infuriates me to no end. I forgot that in order to be American you have to have white skin, I guess we should go ahead and boot out 150~ million people who clearly don't belong here.