Instant Favorite: Prom Queen - Lil' Wayne.

• 100 results
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By FlyingRat
@Jokers_Wild said:
" Is this a troll blog? Seriously, I'm can guarantee that you haven't listened to enough rap to actually make an informed statement on the genre. You talk a big game about respecting other genres of music yet then proceed to label rap as a genre plagued by "mental disabilities."   Judging an entire genre of music based on the rodeo clowns who populate the cover of Vibe magazine is simply foolish, and while you're entitled to maintain your opinion, it is still ignorant nonetheless. It's no different from someone who decides to try metal, listens to Linkin Park and Disturbed, and then decides that all metal is just a bunch of whiny, pompous troglodytes hammering away at their instruments in an attempt to craft any noise bearing even the faintest resemblance to music.   In summation you, sir, are either trolling or simply oblivious to your own benighted state of mind.  "
Thank you sir, this was annoying me quite a bit as well.
Ctrlwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Ctrlwud

A song about the difficulty in finding religion, a song about finding happiness at the cost of independence, and a song about the rich being rich because they don't spend their money.  

*EDIT* 
I'm sure most people can relate to how hard it is to pick out a few exemplary songs from any genre, there are just so many to choose from. I picked a few that are my personal favorites. If you have more time you can check out "Dance" by Nas, "Hey Mama" by Kanye West, or "Dear Mama" by Tupac. Three songs about the rappers mothers. Some of the most beautiful lyircs in hip hop.  
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Milkman

At first, I thought he was joking. And then I started to cry.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Jokers_Wild

I'll post a few gems off the top of my head.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SpiralStairs
That song is terrible... I don't see what's to like about it. It's not even remotely entertaining, like Miracles for example. 
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Auto-tune in a rock song is a bit jarring

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

This song is garbage from a usually solid MC

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By ArchScabby

Well I'll admit it's better then every other lil wayne song I've heard, but still, it's not good.

Ctrlwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ctrlwud
@chocolaterhinovampire: Weezy hasn't ever been, isn't, nor will ever be an Emcee. He is a rapper. There is a difference. 
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FlyingRat
@Ctrlwud said:

"   

Dude, i fucking love that song. I was actually thinking of posting it here to show some real rap/hip-hop. Good to see people still able to appreciate the real rap out there.
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By anarchyzombie9
@Axxol:  
I love rap, Lil Wayne is just shit.
rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rawrz

Lol Rebirth. that was a disaster. Only good song on it was the one with Eminem, and that was only good because of the Eminem verse.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Black_Raven

I thought that sounded like rap, but with real instruments.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By neozeke

Someone liking mainstream music! Ha! Let me berate you while I listen to my lo-fi shoegaze twee pop ambient crust punk love core music on my non-ipod mp3 player!  

But for real:
I don't really care for the song, but I like the Les Paul he's sporting and it's niffty he's expanding his musical palette.  

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hot_Karl

I'm not exactly sure if these'll change your mind, but here are a couple of rap songs that I love, one classic, one more contemporary. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By WickedCestus

That is pretty bad. I gave it a chance, but had to stop halfway through. His voice just really annoys me, and the song is nonsensical.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Ahmad_Metallic: All your comments about pop music being so shitty and how you have no idea how anyone gets satisfaction from it and then you post this. Maybe you're just trolling I don't know but I had some respect for your love of Metal but this just seems to go against everything you've ever said on this website.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@blacklabeldomm said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: All your comments about pop music being so shitty and how you have no idea how anyone gets satisfaction from it and then you post this. Maybe you're just trolling I don't know but I had some respect for your love of Metal but this just seems to go against everything you've ever said on this website. "
man you make me sound like i go around all the time stirring up shit and talking trash about pop and rap and using every chance i have to slander and mock those genres... 
Theres a huge difference between that, and between me expressing my PERSONAL opinion of the music when someone asks me to justify my displeasure with the music..  
It's as if someone who isnt a metal fan would tell me "I respect your choice and taste, and i dont have a problem with metal or metalheads, but i PERSONALLY in MY MIND feel and think that that genre is shitty for this or that reason" .. thats not trolling and thatd be totally fine for me if someone said it 

And no, what im doing here doesnt go against everything ive ever said on the website. The way i defended and appreciated Metal in the past was in a "that genre has too much to offer and it has me charmed head to toe, and when i compare it to other genres they dont stand a chance IMO" and not in a "i love metal so much that everything else stinks and i despise pricks like Lil Wayne and will never look their way" 
Ive enjoyed some Britney Spears and D-12 and Lady Gaga since ever.  and whenever they release something unique or entertaining or worthy, i'll make sure i have it in my iTunes and will enjoy it.. 
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DoctorWelch
@BlastProcessing said:
"
 You can't be fucking serious
 You can't be fucking serious
"
This. That album by Lil Wayne is a pathetic excuse for music. If you like rap, it sucks. If you like metal/rock it sucks. If you just simply like music, it sucks. Doing rap with metal works if you do it right, talk to linkin park, and Lil Wayne clearly has no idea how to do it right. YOU CANT USE FUCKING AUTOTUNE IN A GOD DAMN METAL SONG LIL WAYNE YOU MORON. I think The Carter III was amazing, but I die a little inside whenever I hear that prom queen song.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@DoctorWelch said:
"  YOU CANT USE FUCKING AUTOTUNE IN A GOD DAMN METAL SONG LIL WAYNE YOU MORON.  "
says who? what the fuck is up with all these rules and barriers ? its fucking MUSIC its supposed to experiment and mash crazy shit up and see what happens.. thats how some of our most beloved genres were CREATED 
enough with the goddamn rules you sound like music dictators !
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HitmanAgent47

As if lil wayne destroying one genre of music isn't enough.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DoctorWelch
@Ahmad_Metallic: Maybe because it sounds like complete and utter shit. Yeah, people need to be creative and throw shit together sometimes, experiment, but when you do that, listen back, and when it sounds like that, common sense would say dont put that shit out on an album. That is even besides the point though, autotune is basically ruining music, example: Kesha.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By Bruce
@Ahmad_Metallic:  

Yeah...he was actually a DAMN good rapper for quite some time, so don't think too much of his heavy commercial efforts as of late.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Osaladin

I thought that Lil Wayne couldn't get any worse. Oh how I was wrong.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By damnboyadvance

I think that song was just annoying. Maybe it's because I don't have an appreciation for metal.

But you know what they say; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Not sure why Lil Wayne would do something like this.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By innacces14

Whatever floats your boat, man, and I don't mean that in the douchey musician elitist undertone kind of way. Music is music and that's all there is to it, haha.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By DanielJW
@W0lfbl1tzers: Shad is goddamned awesome.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AhmadMetallic

has it grown on anybody yet ?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cookiemonster
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
..the lyrics are very accessible and moving
"I love the fancy underwear"
rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By rawrnosaurous
@VinceNotVance: *high five* Another LiL Wayne lover, they seem to be few and far between on this forum. Drop the world is one of my favorites, and I gotta say it's right up there with Pac as some of the best rap.

If LiL Wayne isn't to your guy's taste fine, but leave everyone else in peace while we bump Weezy in our house or cars. I personally love Weezy, just like I love Pac, Biggie, LiL Jon, Wu Tang, LiL Kim, Missy Elliot, and dozens of others. For as much as the staff seem to really love Hip-Hop and Rap this forum tends to take a really strong stance against it.

West Side till I die
jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jacdg

Lil Wayne is cancerous to good hip(hop, which is rap with good punchlines, great storytelling, metaphors and skills on the microphone, changing up flows, all of that he used to be a pretty average MC, but him and his young money label is actually "destroying" hip/hop.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Fuck you, Necromancers!

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#83  Edited By Little_Socrates

This is not the worst LIl' Wayne song I've ever heard. That title permanently belongs to "Phone Home" off Tha Carter III, which I posit as perhaps the worst song ever (strongest competitor being Why by the Plastic Ono Band, despite that song having a SICK bass line!) I'd never really considered myself a fan of any of his personal tracks, but I really liked him as a guest artist, especially on Let It Rock.

Then I heard How To Love off his new album and LOVED it. Highly anticipating a chance to pick up the new album, though critics who've gotten their hands on it aren't liking it very much.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm amazed that I made it a whole 51 seconds into that video. In a word: garbage. My condolences to those who think that Lil Wayne is talented.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love hip-hop, but I just don't like the things Lil' Wayne has to rap about. He does come up with some great metaphors ('I eat that pussy like the last supper" Off Tech N9ne's "Fuck Food" comes to mind) but I feel they're overused and that his subject matter of choice (PARTY PARTY MONEY PARTY WEED HOES PARTY PARTY) is too shallow for my tastes. I will admit though, when I'm fucked up or in a good mood, We Be Steady Mobbin' is a fuckin sick song.

I was pretty much drawn to Rebirth for the same reason you were: the rock sound, and a sort of "How bad is it really?" curiosity. I didn't like anything I heard aside from Drop the World but I give the guy credit for at least trying something new rather than just doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe if he took it a little easier on the auto-tune and got an actual guitarist to support him it would have turned out better. Then again, maybe I don't know shit. The guy has incredible charisma and confidence in his flow, which somehow elevates him above the Wiz Khalifa's and Pitbull's of the world who can only do the same six rhymes about weed, popping bottles, and hoes. I think there is mainstream hip-hop out there far worse than Lil' Wayne. If he rapped about things more relevant to me then I'd most definitely be a fan, but everyone has their "thing" and I get that. It's not like he's Waka Flocka or Gucci Mane, banging out knuckle-draggers that rhyme "NIGGA" with "NIGGA" over and over again.

Anyways, good on you for exploring variety in your music. I appreciate lyricism in my hip-hop, but I can also appreciate a great club-banger as well. The key is not to get too jaded to the point where you can't even enjoy a song if it isn't loaded with symbolism and BS political jargon. Also, if you're looking for more artists with a great rap-rock sound, I implore you to check out Tech N9ne. Here's why:

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By cookiemonster
@MariachiMacabre said:

Fuck you, Necromancers!

Arrr shit. Honestly did not realise this was a year old.
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By McShank

@hicks91: You sir know your Lil's

Also lil wayne sucks ass, and his Auto Tuned music sucks just as bad since almost every song has that shit. If you call that song rock or anything else on that album rock then you dont know shit about music. Dominant bass, HA!, Theres more base in Get Low and that is no rock. Time to learn about what rock is and what rap is.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By rawrnosaurous
@Little_Socrates: Which album? Sorry 4 the wait, The Carter IV, Welcome to my hood?

I didn't find any of them terrible, but they aren't the Carter 3 that's for sure. I currently can't get enough of  The Game, he is really doing great with his latest stuff.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MeierTheRed

I want to stick a knife inside my ears now. Sorry, its shit. But its not like my opinion matters anyhow, nor should it. Enjoy it if you like it.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By bicycleham
@CookieMonster said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
This isn't Diablo 2. Don't be a necromancer.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Meowshi

Lil' Wayne's wordplay is sick.  I don't even care that his subject matter is lacking.  I don't need every rapper to be some enlightened, socially-conscious lyricist. Sometimes you just want someone who can bust out a rapid-fire series of clever boasting and humorous metaphors over a heavy bass line.     

In fact, I was listening to "Roger That" earlier this morning.  Minaj + Wayne is a winning combo.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By cookiemonster
@Xolare said:
@CookieMonster said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
This isn't Diablo 2. Don't be a necromancer.
@CookieMonster said:
Arrr shit. Honestly did not realise this was a year old.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Afroman269

@MariachiMacabre said:

Fuck you, Necromancers!

Yup. This was just as stupid as it was a year ago.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Hahahaha, someone necro'd THIS? 

I still love the song and think it's amazing, I still think Lil' Wayne is otherwise a tool, and I still don't like rap music :P

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#95  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Rawrnosaurous said:

@Little_Socrates: Which album? Sorry 4 the wait, The Carter IV, Welcome to my hood? I didn't find any of them terrible, but they aren't the Carter 3 that's for sure. I currently can't get enough of The Game, he is really doing great with his latest stuff.

I meant Tha Carter IV.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ds8k

This shit is awful. He auto-tunes his voice through the whole fucking song? My god.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Rebirth is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to, and Prom Queen is laughably bad.

I truly love some of Lil Waynes work - Da Drought series, Dedication series, Carter 2 and 3, No Ceilings. All absolutely amazing. Rebirth - and Carter IV - are awful.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#99  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Why would you post this on a gaming forum? Come on man. That's almost as dumb as posting about a rap artist on a gaming forum.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#100  Edited By isles

Comfortable is pretty much the only thing of his that I have liked in the past five years.