#1 Posted by Soviut (164 posts) -

Lately I've been getting really fed up with the people misusing the word "amazing". They're using it as a catch-all to mean "very good" when really it means "surprise at something being better than expected". How low are the standards of these people in order for everything to be amazing?

So I did something about it. I created a simple site that suggests alternatives to "amazing" in the context most people are misusing it in. I called it:

http://www.insteadofamazing.com

Be sure to share it with the social links. This going viral can only help to educate.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a designer/developer, so I know how important grammar and syntax can be. I built the site using Flask (a Python micro-framework), and LESS.js as a CSS pre-processor. It took me about 5 hours of work to design, develop, write the HTML/CSS, set up the domain, social links and analytics.

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

Love the design of the site. Not particularly fussed about the misuse of the word amazing, but still enjoyed it.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6301 posts) -

This site is awe-inspiring, awesome, spectacular, astounding, astonishing, confounding, breathtaking, extraordinary, dazzling, fabulous, eye-opening, miraculous, mind-boggling, prodigious, overwhelming, remarkable, startling, staggering, stupendous, stunning, surprising, wondrous, and wonderful.

Should mention that this is already a site, although it's not as detailed as yours: http://www.synonymsforamazing.net/

#4 Posted by Zacagawea (1577 posts) -
#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Actually, after checking a couple dictionaries, "amazing" simply means sudden astonishment or wonder. It doesn't have to be "something being better than expected".

#6 Posted by sub_o (811 posts) -

I think it's mostly because younger generations are using more superlatives than before.

Go to any forum post (or most conversations in real life), then you'll see / hear sentences such as: "Best ... ever", "worst / best ... in my life", and over usage of the word "cool".

Sometimes I'm not sure whether people are patronizing or exaggerating, thus making me skeptical about people's opinion. Just avoid using it yourself, apply the suitable words instead.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Your site is rather condescending. People don't respond well to others being condescending, meaning it's a good way to make people want to use the word "amazing" just to piss you off.

Besides, the definition of words changes all the time. If you would have said "gay" in the early 20th century, it would have meant "happy" not "homosexual". We could go back and expand on this concept, if you wish - many words have changed meanings in the past.

#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

This is a Louis CK bit.

#9 Posted by Lokno (385 posts) -

People are not very literal, it doesn't pay to expect them to be.

#10 Posted by AngeTheDude (639 posts) -
@Rattle618 I thought this sounded familiar.
#11 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

This is an Amaz... sorry Splendid idea. Nah fuck it, its amazing.

#12 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Soviut said:

Be sure to share it with the social links. This going viral can only help to educate.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a designer/developer, so I know how important grammar and syntax can be. I built the site using Flask (a Python micro-framework), and LESS.js as a CSS pre-processor. It took me about 5 hours of work to design, develop, write the HTML/CSS, set up the domain, social links and analytics.

No, this going viral is only going to help you. Fuck off

#13 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@McGhee said:

Actually, after checking a couple dictionaries, "amazing" simply means [...]

Really? A couple dictionaries? You couldn't just Google it?
#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Soviut said:

Yeah, no.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23698 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@McGhee said:

Actually, after checking a couple dictionaries, "amazing" simply means [...]

Really? A couple dictionaries? You couldn't just Google it?

Googling is for lazy people. :P

#16 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@Soviut: Every word should have an audio file linked to it that plays York saying that word.

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -
#18 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Language is ever evolving. Go back a hundred years and people would scoff at our horrible use of it. Go back a thousand and they wouldn't be able to decipher the sounds coming out of our mouths.

Advocates for the protection of the "purity" of language are delusional.

#19 Posted by crazyleaves (637 posts) -

Well, amazing is used to describe being amazed. Who are you to tell me when I've been amazed? I'm find it amazing that you give a hoot. The only thing more amazingly prickish than the grammar police are vocabulary gestapo. Blah, blah, internet death of language, etc...

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I say "excellent" when something is doubleplusgood.

#21 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Francis York Morgan says amazing.

Amazing is the word to use.

#22 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Amazeen. Yeah, you saw that one coming on the site :P

#23 Posted by Voidoid (110 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Actually, after checking a couple dictionaries, "amazing" simply means sudden astonishment or wonder. It doesn't have to be "something being better than expected".

Essentially this. The word 'maze' is key; as I understand the term it describes something that is puzzling or confusing. This can be negative, i.e. uncomfortable, dizzying or nauseating. It can also be positive, as in thought-provoking - a learning experience.

However, I see no reason why something amazing has to be unexpected. A person who uses a hallucinogenic substance, for example, expects a confounding, difficult-to-interpret and "amazing" (in the legitimate sense) experience, and those expectations will likely prove entirely valid.

Well-designed page, though; great job there.

#24 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

Amazing design, terrible content. The content is rude/condescending... and you seem overly upset about something trivial.

U mad?

#25 Posted by NegativeCero (2974 posts) -

It's amazing to me that this bothers you that you felt the need to make a website.

#26 Posted by yoshisaur (2612 posts) -

So you're taking a subjective word and telling us how to use it? If I thought the breakfast I had this morning was amazing then it was fucking amazing and no one can tell me different.

Eat that logic.

#27 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@sub_o said:

I think it's mostly because younger generations are using more superlatives than before.

Damn you kids! Get your superlatives off my lawn!

When have people not used superlatives to describe things? Exaggeration is as old as language. Context has always allowed us to know the difference between reality and exaggeration. It seems likely enough to me that the "younger generations" will still be able to tell the difference.

#28 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

Language is ever evolving. Go back a hundred years and people would scoff at our horrible use of it. Go back a thousand and they wouldn't be able to decipher the sounds coming out of our mouths.

This, does the OP get equally disgruntled when people misuse the words "awesome" or "wicked"? What a waste of energy to let this bother you. Everyone has their pet peeves but making a website about it is a bit overboard dude.

#29 Posted by Panpipe (472 posts) -

Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

Sorry bro.

Just as words lose their original meanings, new words spring up to describe something that couldn't have been before. Languages haven't gone to shit before - they've only ever become irrelevant, the best way to protect the English language is to use it, and let it grow with modern society.

#30 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

generic is the word that annoys me at the moment. its the easy goto word when moaning about a game you don't like.

#31 Posted by EthanML (451 posts) -

Francis York Morgan disapproves of this message.

#32 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -

Wonderous, the site you created is better than i was expecting!

#33 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -
#34 Posted by Soviut (164 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

As a programmer I understand this too. New programming languages and paradigms come out all the time. However, the way "amazing" is being used these days would be like having a programming language where a single keyword could have tens of different results.

The way I see it, catch-all phrases are lazy and just muddy the waters of communication. Call it my little crusade against language devolution by making people consider their words.

#35 Posted by Soviut (164 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

Well, amazing is used to describe being amazed. Who are you to tell me when I've been amazed? I'm find it amazing that you give a hoot. The only thing more amazingly prickish than the grammar police are vocabulary gestapo. Blah, blah, internet death of language, etc...

When exactly did it become cool to not care about communicating clearly? Why is it a bad thing to be articulate?

My issue isn't using the word "amazing" correctly, my issue is that people misuse it so frequently they obviously have no idea what it actually means.

Like I said before, the site is meant to educate; To make people consider the meaning of their words. Do you have an issue with language education too?

#36 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
#37 Posted by UlquioKani (1018 posts) -

This is truly amazing

#38 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

So amazing.

#39 Posted by crazyleaves (637 posts) -
@Soviut Of course I don't have a problem with language education. I just think people can use whatever words they want. If amazing isn't the "right" word by your standards, does it make them wrong? People say "cool" all the time, they aren't talking about temperature or color. Know what I'm saying?
#40 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

Surprising. Shockingly so.

#41 Posted by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

@UlquioKani said:

This is truly amazing

Son of an amazing bitch!

#42 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

It's also amazing how misguided this is :D

#43 Posted by StarvingGamer (7924 posts) -

I can't wait for your followups:

insteadofcool.com

insteadofawesome.com

insteadofradical.com

insteadofhot.com

insteadofbadass.com

#44 Posted by Bayonetta_ (37 posts) -

Maybe because something is so good that people are just amazed by it. Lol.