#1 Posted by Gorilla_Corn (32 posts) -

Hello again boys and girls! I am back again with some more talk about podcasts! But now we are getting a little bit more serious. Is there anybody out there that has wanted to be a part of, or even help start a podcast? Well boy do I have an opportunity for you. After my last post about maybe starting a podcast, I had someone from the site reach out and express interest in starting a podcast. He has previous experience and can help really get things going. All we need is you!

#2 Posted by Slag (4075 posts) -

You might want to give people more information about what exactly you are planning and who you are. You'll likely get a better response if you are a known commodity and have a positive reputation here

I'm on here fairly regularly and I don't think I've ever noticed you before...

anyway good luck with your cast!

#3 Posted by csl316 (8181 posts) -

Podcasts are cool and a lot of fun to do. There have been some neat ones that have come out of this community, too.

R.I.P. Podcast Overwhelming/Hyperion Radio!

#4 Edited by cooljammer00 (1571 posts) -

I wouldn't mind doing a podcast or at least being an esteemed guest, even though nobody knows or cares who I am

#5 Posted by Gorilla_Corn (32 posts) -

Well, the thing is, as Slag said, nobody knows who I am either. I have been a fan/member of the site for a couple of years now, but I'm not too outspoken. I like to sit back and just take everything in, unless I am directly involved in something. My goal is to find some people that would like to be involved, and start by just playing some games together and talking/ getting to know each other. This is to make sure we can carry a somewhat interesting conversation at the least. From there we would move on to some practice recordings and make changes where necessary, and move on to actual recordings and postings. This is how I see everything going in my head, but who knows, everything could get flipped turned upside down and be completely bonkers. It's all a work in progress. I definitely appreciate the advice though.

#6 Edited by DeadpanCakes (818 posts) -

The notion of being in a podcast is an interesting one to me, though I think the fact that I'm super, super quiet would probably make it an unrealistic one.

Anyway, the idea of building a foundation of podcast this way sounds weird to me. I have, however, absolutely no experience or knowledge of podcasting, whatsoever, so I may be completely off-base.

Still, though, good luck with your endeavors. Maybe I'll end up listening to your future cast at some point.

#7 Posted by Danteveli (1165 posts) -

Recording Podcast is not bad idea but the audio quality is pretty important plus talking with strangers may turn it into something weird. Its hard to joke around with someone you know nothing about.

#8 Posted by HatKing (5840 posts) -

@gorilla_corn: I might be interested in doing some gaming related podcast work. I have some schooling in public speaking, experience in writing, comedy, and talking to industry professionals (mostly indie folks), and most importantly, I really fucking like video games.

Have any information on what you're actually planning on doing? Time frame, outline, cast, subject material?

#9 Posted by Slag (4075 posts) -

@gorilla_corn said:

Well, the thing is, as Slag said, nobody knows who I am either. I have been a fan/member of the site for a couple of years now, but I'm not too outspoken. I like to sit back and just take everything in, unless I am directly involved in something. My goal is to find some people that would like to be involved, and start by just playing some games together and talking/ getting to know each other. This is to make sure we can carry a somewhat interesting conversation at the least. From there we would move on to some practice recordings and make changes where necessary, and move on to actual recordings and postings. This is how I see everything going in my head, but who knows, everything could get flipped turned upside down and be completely bonkers. It's all a work in progress. I definitely appreciate the advice though.

That's more helpful.

I think if you do a feel small things you'll help your chances of success quite a bit.

First pick an avatar for your account, right now you have the default icon which makes you look like a spammer.

Two- give people a much clearer picture of what your vision is for the podcast. E.g. length, tone, frequency, number of voices, what sort of topics you hope to cover and what you don't, guests,who hosts, when you'd record it (a lot of Giant Bomb people are in different time zones), etc.

You've outlined the process you have in mind of how you want to get there, but you haven't said exactly what you'd like it to be yet. Before people volunteer for things they usually like to know what they are volunteering for and what the commitment is likely to be.

Then once you've done that, edit your first post and put it there so new readers to the thread see it.

anyway good luck duder!

#10 Edited by Yummylee (21300 posts) -

If you do go through with this I think it's fair to prepare you for the high possibility that, well, very few people will probably listen to it. In fact even the long-running community podcasts on this forum basically amount to them getting posted, and then all of the responses are made up exclusively of the people that were on the podcast. Though just because you don't see any comments doesn't necessarily means there's no listeners... it's just I see this happen a lot, where someone gets excited at the prospect of starting their own podcast, often with unspoken dreams to reenact the chemistry and crazy fun times that occurs on the bombcast, I'm sure. But then nobody comments and the threads get very views and they ultimately fluster out completely.

That said, there are I think at least two that are still going, though I never actually see them posted on the boards anymore now that I think about it. Still, point is this idea is thrown around every so many months on here of someone maybe starting a podcast, only it either never actually happens, or it simply gets no comments and very few views, and everybody eventually seemingly gets kinda bored with it all. Or, maybe it'll get a little exposure during the first couple of episodes, but then it tends to drop off pretty harshly afterwards.

Apologies for sounding negative but that's just the way it tends to go I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with at least trying it out of course, as I can certainly understand the appeal and have always enjoyed the idea of being on a podcast. But realistically speaking, it's best you know upfront that the success-rate for these things in most senses of the word are pretty slim. Though in the end there's always the possibility that upon making this podcast you've made some new online friends. Friends that, even if you're perhaps no longer doing podcasts with them, you may still interact and engage with simply as... well, friends.

And there you go, despite being such a downer for a lot of it I managed to end it on a good note. So, yay.

#11 Edited by DriveupLife (909 posts) -

You sound like a shyster.

#12 Posted by Gorilla_Corn (32 posts) -
#13 Edited by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

I think you have the right idea with how to go about it...ie playing some games and actually seeing if your group can actually carry a conversation. As an avid podcast listener (im either running equipment or on the road so I listen to a lot) I can't stress the importance of good audio levels enough!

Good luck, hope it works out man.

#14 Posted by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -

@gorilla_corn: What if I already have a podcast and its even on iTunes?

#15 Posted by Gorilla_Corn (32 posts) -

@ozzdog12: well, if that is the case I am happy for you. I also ask for any advice you may have.

#16 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Most of you are probably too young to even remember the best community podcast, Bomb Should Have a Face.

Is that thing even available any more, or has it been Screened?

#17 Posted by JuggertrainUK (200 posts) -

Hell yeah! I'm definitely interested in something like this.

#18 Posted by Gorilla_Corn (32 posts) -

I sent some messages out to some of you that showed interest. I really appreciate all of the input, good and bad. I also really appreciate the support for trying to set something up, even if it does have a better chance of failing than it does succeeding. It's always been something I've wanted to try ever since I first started listening to the Bombcast. I also listen to Joe Rogans podcast as well as some others and it just fuels my want to at least try. But seriously, this community is the best I've ever been a part of. Thank you guys.

#19 Posted by Voxus (322 posts) -

I've contributed to a few tabletop wargaming related podcasts. I would totally waste two hours talking about things.

#20 Posted by anywhereilay (143 posts) -

Hey, a bit late to the party here but I'd be interested if you fancy shooting me a message with some more details about getting the ball rolling etc.

#21 Posted by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -

@gorilla_corn: Consistency. Set a schedule(i do 2-3 a month because I'm only allotted 250 MBs per month with the hosting site I use) and stick to it. Sometime you may not feel like doing it or something may come up, but you must stick to it as best you can. Talk about things you like an are knowledgeable about. You don't want to seem clueless and be fumbling around on YOUR podcast.

Also invest in some decent mics, at least two. Depending on Mac/PC, will depend in the type of program you use. You may have to spend some money on a good program. Have "special guests" every once in awhile

If you are interested in listening to mine, go to iTunes and search "We Are Digital Citizens" and give it a listen. Some episodes are better than others(obviously)