• 50 results
#1 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

If anyone has a job where they have to deal with customers or the general public and has any good stories, lets hear them!

I work at a movie theater, where tickets and concession are very expensive, complaining is something I hear everyday. If the film upstairs messes up, I'm the minimum wager the customer sees first to complain at, whether it's my fault or not. That being said, I'm use to hearing all kinds of complaints from all kinds of people and I'm never bothered by them. There has been two situations though, that really just stood out to me.

First, a man and his wife, probably in their 40s, came in and bought some popcorn before their movie. The man asked if we had a salt shaker. I kindly informed him that instead, we have packets of salt due to the fact that there are people that find open salt shakers unsanitary. Not to mention, when we're busy, some kids will just steal it and throw it away anyway (yeah, people are dicks). The man couldn't believe what I had said. "REALLY, NO SALT SHAKER!? YOU'RE THE ONLY DAMN THEATER I KNOW OF WITHOUT A SALT SHAKER," in the loudest and rudest voice possible. His wife asked him to calm down, at which he replied, "NO, THIS KID THINKS I'M FUCKING JOKING." They then walked away and started using the packets of salt. The man was shaking his head and saying Jesus Christ loudly. And yeah, for the first few seconds, I did think he was joking. I never imagined a human could get so angry because they'd have to apply salt to their popcorn differently than what they're use to.

This next story happened last Saturday night. It was the end of the night and I was putting stuff away in a cupboard. When I turned around, I saw a man setting a popcorn bucket on the counter for a refill, which takes roughly 6-10 seconds. Naturally, I grab the bucket for a refill and then I start hearing a black man screaming in my ear. He claims that I made eye contact with him and that he was in fact, in front of the man wanting a refill. Then he said I skipped him on purpose. They weren't in any type of line, they were just both standing their next to each other... So it's impossible for me to tell who was first. Now, situations happen like this often, except the person that has to wait the extra 10 seconds got extremely pissed this time. He was noticeably much more upset than the salt shaker douchebag. Once again though, I was very kind to him. Telling him I'm sorry, that it was an honest mistake and that the other man's refill was done quickly. He just kept screaming and then started to mock me in a weird way (I said at one point, "Well sir, I was.." He cut me off said, "I I I I I I" as if as I was stuttering). After he spoke with a manager, he was just more pissed. What did he expect the manager to do? Tell me who's been working there for over a year, with 0 previous complaints that I'm fired? Finally he left, but it wasn't over. Today the guy called us and spoke to another manager, who he then screamed at as well after she apologized and told him that I made a simple mistake. He asked for our corporate number and hung up. I feel sorry for the poor sucker who has to get yelled at on the phone next by this giant asshole.

Anyway, those are two of my stories of shitty customers I've had to deal with. I'm sure some of you have some good ones.

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

I can't believe people will actually get mad over small stuff like that. I feel bad for you.

#3 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I can't belive people will actualy get mad over small stuff like that. I feel bad for you.

Lol, thanks. Some people I swear are just trying to start something and find arguments. For example, there was a man with pistol in a holster outside our theater, reading a policy sign about weapons and how they're not allowed. He was standing there for awhile, making it quite obvious he had a gun on him. I have no problem with that, if you can legally and safely carry a gun around go ahead. But to bring it to a theater just 2 days after the biggest shooting in America happened in a theater, come on. I already have customers asking me if our theater is safe after the shooting, now someone has to stand outside with a weapon lol. I know it's wrong, but I just kind of laughed it off, I was just amazed someone would do that.

I have nothing against guns or letting civilians legally carry them. But surely I'm not the only one who thinks it would be best if we didn't flash our pistols outside a theater days after a massacre lol.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I work at a sign shop, desigining logos, signs, and stuff like that. And while I dont deal with the customers I am in the front where I get to hear all the conversations.

One time a guy came in and asked if we could make a actual sized license plate. I have no idea what this guy was up to, but the cashier told him no.

Most of the other times when I do have to deal with customers its mostly people who want something, but don't know what they want. And those are the worse. They will keep sending your stuff back, I don't mind the rejection, i don't care, its the time wasted.

#5 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I can't belive people will actualy get mad over small stuff like that. I feel bad for you.

You spelled ACTUALLY and BELIEVE wrong, you IMBECILE!

#6 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

Work for a City Hall and the crazys come find you.

#7 Posted by Harpell (183 posts) -

Where I work, there's this crazy lady who's come in a few times who appears to be some crazy New World Order conspiracy theorist. She has told us that smart phones, smart water, and smart food are all part of some diabolical plan to enslave us all.

Kinda hope she's right, might be interesting!

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Its called dealing with the general public. Many are spoiled and do not understand you have your own life. They feel they are entitled to everything and not having it is a sin. 

#9 Posted by Donkeycow (557 posts) -

I'm a deli clerk at a Canadian grocery chain called Sobeys and i also happen to be lucky enough to work in the downtown core of Canada's largest city, so needless to say you deal with quite a few crazies. On the otherhand most people are nice enough and most of my issues with my job (which are numerous) have nothing to do with customers but with how under staffed we are and how things are handled by management.

#10 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man I understand that, and I don't get too pissed or lose sleep over their complaints lol. Only person that I almost made a rude remark to was last night, some 16 girl dumped her drink in the theater, bathroom and lobby because we caught her sneaking in an R rated movie. It's not like we're rude to the people who do that either. We offer full refunds or let you go in another theater that's not R.

#11 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

@WickedFather said:

@SexyToad said:

Hey, I'm sleepy give me a break. Also I'm not sure if you're trying to make a joke or not, "actually getting mad over small stuff like that."

#12 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@WickedFather said:

@SexyToad said:

Hey, I'm sleepy give me a break. Also I'm not sure if you're trying to make a joke or not, "actually getting mad over small stuff like that."

I was making funnies with the inherited material. It was motivated by anger over small discomfort.

#13 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

people are assholes to people that work retail. it's all i have to say.

i work at a grocery store and there's an old lady that comes in and digs threw the garbage for cans and bottles. it's in the recycling room where the machines are. sometimes the machines don't take the cans or bottles because we don't sell the product. people just throw them out.

#14 Posted by Giantstalker (1725 posts) -

I currently work at a Canadian military recruiting office. If it weren't for confidentiality, I'd have a lot more to say about specific incidents. However, I've had people ask:

-If they get to keep (yes, as in own) the weapons, protective gear, and other issued kit they would use in a combat arms trade. On a similar note, one person seemed to think they could bring and use their own weapons.

-The next country the military will be deploying to, as if an enlisted dude in recruiting would know. If my crystal ball wasn't broken I'd provide them with an answer, honest!

-If they can join the "special forces," and I explain the reality of joining such units (you have to already be enlisted or commissioned). After which some argue with me, believing they are more than good enough to somehow get straight in.

#15 Posted by Ben_H (3427 posts) -

I used to deal with special orders at a hardware store, so I have lots of FUN stories.  

A guy came to pick up his window and the person I was working with was dealing with him. She called up the people who bring up orders to grab the window and they said they would be 10 minutes because they were grabbing another order. The person I was working with went on her 15 minute break and left me with the order for the guy to sign for when it arrived. He waited around for 5 minutes then asked me "Where's my window?" and I told him they were grabbing it still. Apparently this window was supposed to teleport from the back of the store to the front. The guy starts flipping out at me claiming he had been waiting far too long (this was about 6 minutes since he had shown up to pick up his window) and started making a huge scene. He started screaming at me claiming I was ignoring him and that I should be fired, etc. etc.. So then he says "You people are useless" and storms out of the store, walking by the person who grabbed his order, the window he had just made a scene about (this was about  minutes after he had arrived). The girl I was working with got back from her break so I told her what happened and she apologized like 30 times over the last 2 hours of her shift. Later crazy guy called the customer support line and filed a huge complaint, claiming he had been waiting over an hour for his order, that he never got his order, and that he should be compensated for wasting so much time. My boss talked to him then after talked to me to get my side of the story, I showed her the paperwork showing when he got there, and when he left and doubly proved he was lying by the fact my fellow worker wasn't back from break when he stormed off (again 15 minute breaks). My boss, who had known me for almost 2 years by this point, trusted me, called  the dude and told him he would not get anything from us because he was lying and that his window was at the front to pick up. I was on lunch when he picked it up but he apologized to the person working at the time for being so rude. SUPER PARAGRAPH 

Then there was the stupid indecisive people who would special order stuff then decide they wanted a different colour after the product was made and half way to the store. We would let them reorder but they had to pay up 15% restocking fee since it would cost us a ton to return it or sell it since the products were often custom fit for specific spaces (IE kitchen counter tops). A lot of snobby sheltered soccer moms just don't get that things aren't as simple as they think they are so we ended up getting a lot of spazzy middle-aged women giving us crap for not getting their way. The worst is when they wanted to change the colour or design of kitchen cabinets because that was a 2-3 hour process to set up in the system and they would often change it two or three times and this would completely screw over the kitchen designer people's time as they were scheduled with appointments and seldom had time to fix a $10000 order. When I left they were considering upping the special order cancellation fee to deal with this issue.

I work in food production now so I don't deal with customers anymore. My new job is so much better in every way, plus I get paid more and my coworkers and boss are amazing. Not to mention my boss is super good about school so he is letting me just work weekends (actually he says I can't work during the week because that would be too much and he doesn't want to mess with my schooling at all).

#16 Edited by Intro (1212 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

My new job is so much better in every way, plus I get paid more and my coworkers and boss are amazing. Not to mention my boss is super good about school so he is letting me just work weekends (actually he says I can't work during the week because that would be too much and he doesn't want to mess with my schooling at all).

That's awesome, thankfully everyone at my work, managers and employees, are all really nice and friendly as possible with school scheduling. Luckily I've been taught how to thread the film in the projectors at my work recently, which means I'm upstairs so I don't have to see customers lol.

And that really amazes me that someone could say, "you should be fired" when the employee was doing their job and being friendly. Customers come in and act like they know how a business should be owned and who should be in it, when they don't have the slightest clue on how companies work.

@Giantstalker said:

I currently work at a Canadian military recruiting office. If it weren't for confidentiality, I'd have a lot more to say about specific incidents. However, I've had people ask:

-If they get to keep (yes, as in own) the weapons, protective gear, and other issued kit they would use in a combat arms trade. On a similar note, one person seemed to think they could bring and use their own weapons.

-The next country the military will be deploying to, as if an enlisted dude in recruiting would know. If my crystal ball wasn't broken I'd provide them with an answer, honest!

-If they can join the "special forces," and I explain the reality of joining such units (you have to already be enlisted or commissioned). After which some argue with me, believing they are more than good enough to somehow get straight in.

Hahahahaha, those are too funny. Those are the types of questions where you just pause before you answer and think, "Did he really just say that?"

#17 Posted by kidman (474 posts) -

I used to work in a movie theater and yes, people are that dumb. They always complained about prices of everything, and such really thinking it's our fault.

They rarely said 'good morning' or other common things so I had to be obnoxiously nice to them (saying 'Well good morning to you too' when they started their order by 'gimme one'). Yes, some of them were even too lazy to specify what exactly do they want, and were actually pissed when I had the nerve to ask what exactly they would want to get.

All in all, I was the first one in the history of the cinema to be fired for getting 0/10 points from a so-called 'secret client', which is hilarious since I was one of the nicest people there... if you weren't an asshole.

Working in places like that teaches you a shitload about how to behave in life and I wish everyone would try working on the other end of the counter.

#19 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

I've paid my retail dues and wow, it's a character building experience if anything.

#20 Edited by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I got a good one. Its not about a shitty customer, just a funny one.

I work for the Help Desk at my college over the summer. Last week our receptionist was out so I had to take the front desk. Around 4pm last Thursday. I get a call from a man who said he was a senior. Because we're a College I first assumed he meant a senior at the school. However his voice sounded really old and shaky. That's because he wasn't a senior, but a senior citizen. Dude was like 80. I was confused why he was calling us but I wasn't going to turn him away so I put him though to someone. 10 minutes later a coworker, Alex, comes down to tell me about the call. The guy was having problems with his internet. He said his modem normally made a phone sound when logging on but wouldn't now. That's right, the guy had fucking Dial-up!

So next Alex tried to figure out his service provider. The guy said it was called BlueLight. As in the Bluelight Special. You know, from K-Mart. Apparently K-Mart had, and still does have, a dial-up Internet service. Looking them up we found out that they charge $2 a minute for their customer support, which explains why this guy called us instead. In the end we called the guy back and told him to go get Comcast.

#21 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

I'm glad I don't have a job that requires me to deal with people, but I've definitely seen my fair share of employees being dicks too.

Without a doubt. There's a Subway I go to when I'm on break and the people working argue in front of the customers on who has to take who's order. This has happened on more than one occasion. Personally, I couldn't imagine being that rude sounding right in front of the people I was about to help lol.

#22 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

@kidman said:

I used to work in a movie theater and yes, people are that dumb. They always complained about prices of everything, and such really thinking it's our fault.

They rarely said 'good morning' or other common things so I had to be obnoxiously nice to them (saying 'Well good morning to you too' when they started their order by 'gimme one'). Yes, some of them were even too lazy to specify what exactly do they want, and were actually pissed when I had the nerve to ask what exactly they would want to get.

All in all, I was the first one in the history of the cinema to be fired for getting 0/10 points from a so-called 'secret client', which is hilarious since I was one of the nicest people there... if you weren't an asshole.

Working in places like that teaches you a shitload about how to behave in life and I wish everyone would try working on the other end of the counter.

Glad someone else knows exactly what I'm talking about. One lady said to me, "$9.50 for two waters? You're disgusting." First off, bitch, I obviously don't work at corporate making prices. Second, don't buy the damn thing if it's too expensive. If you want to pay the price for it, do so, if not, go to your theater. Instead, they'll just stand there and hold up a line and eventually walk off saying how it's unaffordable for them. Everything you've described happens at my theater daily. People come to the theater all the time and won't even say what movie they want, as if we're supposed to print out the right ticket by guessing. "Hi, how are you today?" "1 adult, 1 senior." These people have to realize they're being rude, right lol?

While I'm ranting, I thought of another good, but short story. An old lady called not too long ago and told a manager our showtimes don't cater to their dinner time and the dinner times of other seniors. I'm not fucking kidding. She literally started asking who makes up the showtimes and wants them changed so she can come see a movie and get home for dinner.

We also have secret clients. They check if you're smiling, nice, everything is clean, theater checks are done, you up sell/suggestive sell, etc. If we do good on ours they hang it up, if not they don't and don't say anything. However, I know I'm not doing bad on them since I'm always nice and up sell. Also I know that the managers would talk to someone if they did nothing at all on the list. Agreed with you about everyone working on the other side of the counter. I think if more people had jobs like that, they'd be much more kind to strangers and store employees, realizing that they're treated like shit all day.

#23 Posted by afrofools (1330 posts) -

I like talking to customers in person or over email. But on the phone they are inconsiderate. Then when you get home the home phone is spammed by telemarketers that somehow worked the system to be given special consideration for being 'charities'. Landline phones... don't get them.

#24 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

www.notalwaysright.com <--- I've wasted days on this website. You've also got www.notalwaysworking.com, which is the other way around (incompetent employees).

#25 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

@Intro said:

Glad someone else knows exactly what I'm talking about. One lady said to me, "$9.50 for two waters? You're disgusting." First off, bitch, I obviously don't work at corporate making prices. Second, don't buy the damn thing if it's too expensive. If you want to pay the price for it, do so, if not, go to your theater. Instead, they'll just stand there and hold up a line and eventually walk off saying how it's unaffordable for them. Everything you've described happens at my theater daily. People come to the theater all the time and won't even say what movie they want, as if we're supposed to print out the right ticket by guessing. "Hi, how are you today?" "1 adult, 1 senior." These people have to realize they're being rude, right lol?

We also have secret clients. They check if you're smiling, nice, everything is clean, theater checks are done, you up sell/suggestive sell, etc. If we do good on ours they hang it up, if not they don't and don't say anything. However, I know I'm not doing bad on them since I'm always nice and up sell. Also I know that the managers would talk to someone if they did nothing at all on the list. Agreed with you about everyone working on the other side of the counter. I think if more people had jobs like that, they'd be much more kind to strangers and store employees, realizing that they're treated like shit all day.

So yeah, I work at a movie theater also and hands down working in the concession stand was literally fucking me up because of the customers. I switched to box office about three months ago and pretty much everyone has commented about how much of a better mood I'm in. But yeah, concession is the worst. We had this combo that had two big variables(besides the kind of drink including), a hot dog or nachos. Thing is, on the sheet that lists the combos, each combo getting its own square, the hot dog and nachos shared the same space. In print it does say either or...but people no matter how long some people stared at it, no matter how many times you explained it, and you explicitly asking hot dog or nachos, they would still flip shit that they didn't get the other item.

The worst was when I went through the whole process of, asking which item, getting all their food, repeating their order and finally finishing the transaction with these two people. As soon as I handed them their card back, "where's my hot dog?" I tell them that that combo doesn't include both items, and they just look at me dumbfounded.

"What, you didn't tell us that."

"Yes I did."

The guy looked at his girlfriend, "you know what he just did, he just fucking jipped us. He fucking jipped us. You lying gypsy motherfucker." So my manager walks by just as they leave and notices I'm a bit flustered. I tell him they called me a "lying gypsy motherfucker," and he goes to talk to them. Speaking with them, they said I lied about the combo coming with both. My manager told them how weird it was that I would say that, when with every other single order I've explained it properly. So the customers reply with "well he didn't not tell us it wasn't both." To which my manager said, "Well I'm sorry, I guess he thought you could read." They just kind of walked away after that.

Also I had the vice president of the company send a email to my theater to complain about my poor service. Apparently I didn't say " Large popcorn or large drink today," and my nametag was flipped backwards. It was attached to a lanyard, because they never get turnaround on accident you know. So I was put on probabtion for "refusal to obey rules."

Oh, and student discounts are the worst. About half my refunds during night shifts are from people remembering they can get a dollar off their ticket after I already rung them up. Like they're going to remember that dollar come three days later when their bank processes the refund.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

Worked as a telemarketer for a couple of weeks cold-calling people. I got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more FUCK YOUs from the ladies than the guys. Men tended to be more sarcastic. The funny (if you can call it that) part was that people would often slam the phone down in such a rage that the call wouldn't hang up, and you'd be treated to an exchange of "Who was that?" "That fucking marketing company again!" for a minute or so. You'd get the usual threats/demands to speak to manager/etc. as well.

Even if you're desperate, don't work at a call center. Ever.

#27 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

It takes a lot to keep yourself from yelling right back at a belligerent customer.

#28 Posted by Butano (1786 posts) -

I work in the student IT department at my school, and I recently had a professor call about him being both a lecturer at the state college (where I attend) and one at the local junior college, and that the junior college switched from an Oracle service to a new one he couldn't remember at the top of his head. Apparently, the new system won't let professors log onto their professor profile page off campus without using a VPN.

Thinking this was odd that he was calling us instead of the JC's IT department, I asked if he had asked for help from the JC's department, and they apparently told him to ask us to help him set him up and they emailed him the instructions. Thinking to myself, well that says a lot about their department, I said, 'OK, that's fine, as long as you have the directions, I can help you over the phone.' The guy suddenly just went nuts, demanding that I send one of the tech guys out to set it up for him.

I mean, he started reading off the directions cause he was reading the email the JC sent and I was like, OK, sounds easy enough, but man, he just couldn't bother to learn/do it himself. Luckily one of the techs wasn't busy and I was able to send him out to help the guy, but geez. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

#29 Posted by Humanity (10035 posts) -

@Intro: Back in the day I used to work as a manager in a movie theater and it's even worse as everyone just ends up saying "do you want to talk to a manager" and you have to actually solve their issues. One guy missed the trailers or something and asked if we could rewind the movie. I told him with the way 35mm films work you can't rewind it and he said "let me up there I'm sure I can figure it out" lol customers.

#30 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

I worked at EB Games/Gamestop. So yeahhhhhh...

Best thing I can remember off the top of my head was a lady coming in on Christmas Eve wanting her pre-ordered, limited edition of Assassin's Creed: Revelations. We had to explain we only hold onto pre-orders for a week or two unless you tell us otherwise when we call you about said pre-order, that the limited editions were only in the first run of games, she had never asked to hold onto the game, she was trying to pick up a pre-order a month late, and it was fucking Christmas Eve.

The day before that, my manager booked me and the assistant manager to open at 9:30. The mall regularly opened at 10:00. BUT, the mall was running Christmas hours, which meant it actually opened at 8:30. And our computer systems were shit, meaning they took about fifteen minutes to boot up. So try explaining to a mob of about thirty people and mall security that your manager's a fucking idiot who books your shift late as you try to set up a store. Meanwhile, you have to turn computers on and do a shipment of games people are demanding, but we can't sell to them because said manager is a lazy ass and he didn't do shipping, so they aren't in the system as inventory. So, we've got games like Super Mario 3D Land, Arkham City, so on. We've got MORE than enough copies for the people who wanna buy the games, but for about an hour we couldn't sell them because we needed to get them into our computers so they were actually received--an hour on top of already being late.

That shift was the fucking worst.

But yeah, aside from those shifts, it was just general shit of middle-aged white people being middle-aged white people and being confused and out of touch with shit, and then being all pissed off at the kid who doesn't give a fuck and is barely making above minimum wage. Standard stuff you've heard from people who worked at video game stores--parents being clueless, self-entitled cunts being self-entitled cunts and causing scenes and everyone going "Chrrrrrrrriisst, that guy/girl sucked" when they storm out.

Not so much a horror story from customer's perspective, but I remember we had a midnight launch for one of the WoW expansions. Since we were in the mall, we supposedly couldn't let people into the mall to form a line--'security' reasons supposedly. We had to force about a hundred people to wait outside in the middle of the fucking winter for their games. And it was about -20 celsius. So... yeah, that was fun dealing with that.

Edit: Oh man. I do remember quite vividly these two kids that came in LITERALLY every shift I had. Two little pudgy-faced assholes who would wander the store for a good half-hour before finally taking Black Ops off the shelf. They'd ask to buy it, and every time, I'd go "Do you have an adult with you? It's an M-rated game, guys. You're, like, ten." And one time they FINALLY brought their mom. And I shit you not, the mom said "Fuck right off. I ain't buying you Call of Duty. It's too violent."

We also had a kid who would just wander in every so often--once every week or two--and he'd do the same thing, really. He wasn't annoying, though. He'd just wander the store for a good half-hour. Our store was TINY, too. Like, more than five people in it including employees and there was barely room to walk. So, we found out that this kid's dad was literally just dropping him off at our mall and going and doing other shit, and leaving him for hours on end. He used us as a babysitting service. It was hella awkward.

And yeah, we got a lot of the same shit as movie theatres. People being OUTRAGED at prices. More so, people being OUTRAGED that their PS2 copy of Madden 2004 only got them a dollar for trade-in credit. Like, no doubt, video games are overpriced as shit, and no doubt EB Games/Gamestop gouges you on trade-ins, but the sheer amount of vitriol we got from people doing trade-ins? Fuccccccckkkk. It made me loath doing trade-ins. It got to the point that I started asking people how much they were expecting to get in trade-in credit, and I could generally tell right away if they were going to be wasting my time and theirs.

One time we had some trade promotion going on where if you traded in games for a certain value you'd get extra credit towards new games. This guy just needed one last game left, but we couldn't take 'cause it was scratched. So he yelled "WELL, IF IT DOESN'T WORK, I DON'T FUCKIN' WANT IT!" and whipped it at me. Good times.

#31 Edited by MattyFTM (14431 posts) -

I work in a supermarket (on checkouts and trolley pushing in the carpark), and the angry customers really don't get to me. I just smile, apologise and let them get on with it. If they want to be angry, that's fine by me. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. So the "interesting" customers that come to mind are more weird things that have happened rather than anyone getting angry.

The funniest one is from one day when I was pushing trolleys in the car park. I was towards the back of the car park collecting some trolleys, and a bloke comes up to me and starts asking me questions about what it's like to work there and whether I like it or not. But get this - he had a motherfucking falcon on his arm. He had a giant ass bird of prey sitting there on his arm eating something, and he was just talking to me like it was the most normal thing in the world. Like there wasn't anything weird about this situation. He just didn't mention the falcon at all. The conversation must have gone on for about three or four minutes just making mundane chitchat, with me being totally bewildered about how he we've managed to talk so long without this goddamn falcon being brought up. I eventually asked him "What's up with the bird of prey on your arm?". Apparently you aren't supposed to feed them at home because then they associate home with feeding and that messes up their behaviour or something, so he brings it to a supermarket car park to feed it. That does kinda make sense, but it was just the way he was acting like it wasn't even there. Totally crazy.

#32 Edited by Intro (1212 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Intro: Back in the day I used to work as a manager in a movie theater and it's even worse as everyone just ends up saying "do you want to talk to a manager" and you have to actually solve their issues. One guy missed the trailers or something and asked if we could rewind the movie. I told him with the way 35mm films work you can't rewind it and he said "let me up there I'm sure I can figure it out" lol customers.

Over half of our projectors use film rather than digital (for a couple more months at least), so if there's a problem it's not like we can just hit the rewind button lol. And yeah, being a manager would be rough. One lady told one of my managers that the management is bad because she didn't read 4 signs that read, "TICKETS CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE CONCESSION STAND. THANK YOU." So, she walked all the around the roped off area where tickets are sold when it's busy (in the front) and claimed we made her walked too much. She was pissed. Later she came back out and yelled for the movie not starting because she was sitting in the theater 30 minutes early.

@Vonocourt said:

Oh, and student discounts are the worst. About half my refunds during night shifts are from people remembering they can get a dollar off their ticket after I already rung them up. Like they're going to remember that dollar come three days later when their bank processes the refund.

I feel your pain, lol. We have student discounts on certain days, but never give them because they save you a quarter I believe and only cause problems. However, there are similar situations such as senior tickets. We're not allowed to say, oh this person is a senior so I'll give them the senior price. The reason for this is people get upset if they're not 60+, and are offended if we assume they are. So when someone who I think is a senior comes up I say, "Is that one adult ticket?" Then most of the time they'll say mention they don't want the adult ticket, but the senior. If I don't double check for them, what will happen is I'll print the tickets, tear them, hand them to the person and they go, "Is that the senior price?" WELL DID YOU ASK FOR THE SENIOR DISCOUNT? NO! Lol.

It wouldn't be too big of a deal, except I have to get a manager to stop what they're doing to come do a refund and reprint tickets, holding up a line. The computer doesn't let employees do certain things without a manager punching in their password (which is BS to a certain degree, I think I can be trusted to not pull off a heist where I work when there are cameras all over). I'll probably also hear from someone up higher in the company too since that one man called corporate. Although, I may be fine since he doesn't know my name and won't have a specific person to complain about. I thought it may have just been my area or theater, but no, all theaters are plagued by the rudest people ever lol.

@MattyFTM said:

I work in a supermarket (on checkouts and trolley pushing in the carpark), and the angry customers really don't get to me. I just smile, apologise and let them get on with it. If they want to be angry, that's fine by me. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. So the "interesting" customers that come to mind are more weird things that have happened rather than anyone getting angry.

The funniest one is from one day when I was pushing trolleys in the car park. I was towards the back of the car park collecting some trolleys, and a bloke comes up to me and starts asking me questions about what it's like to work there and whether I like it or not. But get this - he had a motherfucking falcon on his arm. He had a giant ass bird of prey sitting there on his arm eating something, and he was just talking to me like it was the most normal thing in the world. Like there wasn't anything weird about this situation. He just didn't mention the falcon at all. The conversation must have gone on for about three or four minutes just making mundane chitchat, with me being totally bewildered about how he we've managed to talk so long without this goddamn falcon being brought up. I eventually asked him "What's up with the bird of prey on your arm?". Apparently you aren't supposed to feed them at home because then they associate home with feeding and that messes up their behaviour or something, so he brings it to a supermarket car park to feed it. That does kinda make sense, but it was just the way he was acting like it wasn't even there. Totally crazy.

That's strange as hell. It reminded me of a customer our theater gets once or twice a year. It's a somewhat heavy set girl, wearing giant backpacks and camping gear on her back. Also sporting a black kilt and chains on her clothes. To top it off, she brings a dog equipped with a small saddle holding waters and other equipment lol. Then she lays in the hallway an hour before the show starts. Eventually she'll go to the arcade and spend at least $15, right after she comes to concession and explains how she can't afford anything.

Turns out the dog was a service dog, although I'm not sure what for.

#33 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

I used to work at a call center for Rogers in Canada. I had one person wish death ion my mother. I had another call me a n bomb even though I'm white in a fit of rage. I had one lady that would call just to have someone to talk to so she would go on and on about things that have nothing to do with Rogers. I had one guy call in because he had a $14000 phone bill since he watched blue jays games on his home with no data plan. That was not pleasant. Needless to say I will never work in customer service again.

#34 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Used to work at a movie theater and man does it show the filth of humanity. I really don't get my theater didn't have trash cans near as most people simply threw their junk on the floor and some even left gum under buckets of popcorn. While I don't have a specific story it was just irritating that this kind of behavior is still allowed. Glad I quit when I had to.

#35 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

@laserbolts: To be fair it was Rogers......:P I worked in a public sector job in TO and there is no shortage or weirdos and crazies.

#36 Edited by Intro (1212 posts) -

My friend works at Gamestop and always gets the craziest things as well. Here are some things that happened at my local gamestop my friend works at.

1. A small child pissed all over the floor

2. A guy brought an Xbox in for a trade that was full of maggots

3. I wanna say it was the same guy who also brought in a Wii for cash, except the Wii was full of cockroaches which got all over the store and an exterminator had to be called.

When I was 16 and looking for a job, boy did I want to work at a Gamestop. Then I realized how all those jobs aren't that fun after all lol.

@dudeglove said:

Worked as a telemarketer for a couple of weeks cold-calling people. I got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more FUCK YOUs from the ladies than the guys. Men tended to be more sarcastic. The funny (if you can call it that) part was that people would often slam the phone down in such a rage that the call wouldn't hang up, and you'd be treated to an exchange of "Who was that?" "That fucking marketing company again!" for a minute or so. You'd get the usual threats/demands to speak to manager/etc. as well.

Most of the bitchyness I get is from women as well. Men, are pissed, they just don't say anything. Occasionally the guys will be sarcastic, the women it's rare. Although there was this one lady who was actually cool and friendly. When I rung up two waters for $9.50 she said, "Oh $9.50 for two waters? What a deal that is!" She wasn't rude about it though, she just laughed in a nice sort of way.

Also we did more business for Magic Mike (a male stripper movie) than Batman. This means for weeks we were getting slammed with senior ladies coming in, two hit on me and one said, "I'll make you dance like Magic Mike little boy." That sentence came shortly after I asked if she wanted butter on her popcorn. Even though I always picture women to be more kind than guys, it's not always the case and many times far from it.

#37 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

I do tech support for Cell phones and 99% of the people calling should not own a phone let alone a piece of expensive technology as a smartphone. We had this one lady call every morning for a month straight because she couldn't figure out how to set up her facebook account and wanted us to tell her how to. We told her that we can show her how to add the account to her phone once she had it made, but she had to figure out how to make it on her own as we do not walk people through how to do stuff like that. She would always flip out and demand to talk to a supervisor and then hang up and call back a few minutes later to do it all again. She was just a crazy lady who was lonely and wanted people to talk to or scream at as the mood fit her.

My favourite call of her's that I got was when she asked me how to find the @ symbol on her phones keyboard. I told her that she had to hit the shift key on the keyboard and that it would change what keys she saw on her screen. She then proceeded to scream "STOP LYING TO ME! YOUR LYING! YOUR JUST TRYING TO BREAK MY PHONE! IF I PRESS THAT BUTTON IT'S GOING TO BREAK MY PHONE!" I just calmly said to her that that does not make any sense. Why would anyone add a self destruct button to the keyboard? She then just kept yelling "You don't know... you don't know... your just trying to break my phone! I know you are!" then hung up.

Eventually they got around to blocking her number as she would get the new agents sometimes and keep them on line talking to her for hours because they don't know how to handle those type of calls yet and end it quickly. So we would then have one less agent taking calls and we would start queueing and it would screw up everyone else.

She was just the most recent example. Working at call centres you get crazies all the time. My favourites are the one's that don't understand who they are talking to. I work for the actual maker of the phone, not the phone company they bought their phone through, and they always start screaming and yelling because they don't understand that their insurance and warranty is through the phone company and not us. Then they start flipping out and saying that I'm lying to them or that I'm trying to "fuck them over" and not doing everything I can for them when I tell hem what the manufacturer warranty consists of and they find out that we can only repair their phones and that they will be without it for 1-2 weeks while it's being looked at.

The worst calls though are when they are justifiably pissed off because they got an idiot agent previously who did something wrong and because of their mistake the customer had to wait weeks longer than needed to get an issue resolved, or after waiting weeks thinking something was being done for them you get to tell them that dick all was happening and now they have to start from the beginning as if they had never called before. It's the hardest call because we are not allowed to just say that they got an idiot before who doesn't know how to do his job and because of that you are now going to have to be without your phone for a month or two.

#38 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I worked in the restaurant/bar business for 14 years, so I've certainly seen my share of crazy malcontents. People acting like outrageous assholes just got commonplace to me after a while. i could write a book on it, but one that jumps out is this guy who went insane about his sandwich having mayo on it when I guess he was allergic.

I was the shift manager so he had the server bring me to the table where he proceeded to almost violently tear into me. I tried to placate him with offers of replacement, sorry sorry sorry, all that, to no avail. It got to the point where it was plainly evident that he wasn't interested in any corrective action and just wanted to humiliate me, so my demeanor stiffened up a little bit and he kind of picked up on it that I was just fed up with him. So after his wife had finished eating, he came over to me at the bar and asked me what the owner's name was, and then, shit you not, backed away from me, facing me, with his finger pointed at me, like "You're fucked now buddy." It was all I could do to keep from laughing my ass off. He ended up calling the owner, and after that didn't avail him what he wanted, he called the fucking chamber of commerce and the BBB, or so the owner told me. Pretty incredible behavior over a sandwich. It has lot to do with the service industry pumping people full of this bullshit that they can have it their way, all the time, every time, and that they're so special, if you come to our place, nothing will ever go wrong and you'll be a king or queen for the next 45 minutes or whatever. Some mouth breathers don't understand that it's just marketing, and when shit goes wrong, it's nothing personal.

#39 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I worked at a clothing store and this group of women were buying tons of clothes, it came to like $600, transaction went through, then as they were leaving and looking at the receipt, they said the pants they bought were on sale, so I had a look and the pants they bought were not on sale, the ones beside the ones they bought were, I explained that to them, but their response was to scream at me and rip the clothes out of the bags and throw them at me and demand a refund.

Ridiculously I got in trouble for that.

#40 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

One guy once told me he gave CPR to an Iguana. His family swore by it though he said the Iguana wasn't the same after. Just kept hanging upside down in his cage.

#41 Posted by Scrawnto (2464 posts) -

I had to help out with the go-live of some of our software at a hospital, and while I was sitting and observing the admitting staff as they worked, we listened to some smooth jazz. That's about as interesting as things have gotten for me. I don't usually interact with customers directly, since I'm a software developer. I'm fortunate to have never worked in retail, food service, or customer service of any kind.

#42 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1470 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Good gravy, I would have been so afraid seeing a giant bird of pray on a man's shoulders right in front of me.

#43 Edited by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Not really an interesting customer, but interesting/fun thing I discovered at work one day while trying to transfer a customer over to another line. At an older job I worked at doing tech support for a business based ISP, we had this number we had to transfer customers's to a lot! Well one day when I waited on the line a few seconds longer then we normally do before hitting the transfer button I discovered that if you mixed up one of the numbers at the end that instead of going to the right line it sent them to a phone sex line for hot and horny college girls. The best part was that the sheet of paper they gave us with the number written on it had the number written in such a way that the one number that you got mixed up was the one that everyone could always mistake and send them to this sex line. It was a 6 that was written to look like an 8 if you just looked at it quickly. I couldn't stop laughing for a good 5-10 minutes when I realized how many people we must have been transferring to a sex line and not have been realizing it. Funny enough, we never heard one complaint about it!

#44 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I have had several bad customers over the years, but my most memorable is probably when I was working at Stein Mart.

I was a cashier there, and then one day a woman walked in. She approached me and told me that she would like to return her dress. She said she payed with her credit card and she had no receipt.

So I ran her credit card, and checked if the item had a matching transaction, but nothing came up. I simply said to her that nothing matched the dress on her credit card. She went berserk and told me over and over that that can't be right.

I asked her if she might have used another card. She once again raised her voice and told me that she only uses one card. I checked almost 3 times and she demanded that she checked the computer by herself.

After about 10 minutes she threw the dress at the floor and pulled down some clothes from some hangers, and stormed out of the store. Everyone was staring at me and I looked like a tomato when I picked up the clothes that she had taken down.

Rough shit. People suck D:

#45 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

@Intro said:

My friend works at Gamestop and always gets the craziest things as well. Here are some things that happened at my local gamestop my friend works at.

1. A small child pissed all over the floor

2. A guy brought an Xbox in for a trade that was full of maggots

3. I wanna say it was the same guy who also brought in a Wii for cash, except the Wii was full of cockroaches which got all over the store and an exterminator had to be called.

When I was 16 and looking for a job, boy did I want to work at a Gamestop. Then I realized how all those jobs aren't that fun after all lol.

@dudeglove said:

Most of the bitchyness I get is from women as well. Men, are pissed, they just don't say anything. Occasionally the guys will be sarcastic, the women it's rare. Although there was this one lady who was actually cool and friendly. When I rung up two waters for $9.50 she said, "Oh $9.50 for two waters? What a deal that is!" She wasn't rude about it though, she just laughed in a nice sort of way.

Also we did more business for Magic Mike (a male stripper movie) than Batman. This means for weeks we were getting slammed with senior ladies coming in, two hit on me and one said, "I'll make you dance like Magic Mike little boy." That sentence came shortly after I asked if she wanted butter on her popcorn. Even though I always picture women to be more kind than guys, it's not always the case and many times far from it.

Bwuuuuuuuhhhhh. All of that is fucking disgusting.

#46 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

I'll post some REAL stories tomorrow when I've recovered from tonights shift. 

I work in a store chain in the UK, and I often work behind the cigarette kiosk. I don't usually serve people regular stuff, but sometimes I let it go. So tonight, some guy came and put down a huge carton of milk, and a big ol' box of Corn Flakes. He asked for a bag, and I explained that because I only really sold cigs and lottery, I only had tiny ones. He looked at it and said "Well, that's no good is it" 

"Ah sorry man, it's all I've got behind here, I don't really sell normal things"| 

"Well, thanks for ALL YOUR help..." 

I'm gobsmacked. What does he expect me to do? Click my fingers and make them appear? It's obnoxious

#47 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

As a guy that worked in a Grocery store for a while you really get all sorts of absolute cretins that sees an opportunity to finally be able to treat someone else like a piece of shit because we cannot reply or do anything about it.

One that stands out to me was we had a sale on a specific type of bread, it was clearly marked up and everything and nobody had ever complained about it.

Until this dude showed up.. I was the senior member of the staff at the time and he literally ran to me and started yelling in my face along the lines of "YOU FUCKED ME OVER HOW DARE YOU, YOU CLEARLY ADVERTISED THIS WAS A SPECIAL OFFER BUT YOU CHARGED ME 2 BUCKS EXTRA FOR NO REASON!!!" me being sort of flummoxed by this random guy just running up to me and starting to yell at the top of his lungs right in my face (seriously my face was covered with his spit it was absolutely disgusting). I started trying to figure out what his problem was, I noticed that he had picked the wrong bread told him that and said it's not big deal and I'd just give him the 2 bucks back.

Apparently he thought he was in for like a fight or an argument or something and refused to calm down and basically said "yeah you fucked better do that, you have screwed me over one to many times you fucking cunts." I said I was sorry for any discomfort we had put him through he sort of ignored me and kept yelling at me for random stuff that really had nothing to do with this store or anything, just stuff that had inconvenienced him the entire time while I was fixing this shit, I eventually gave him the money back, said good bye and he kept yelling while walking out lol. It was ridiculous.

Another one I guess is not quite the same but, we have this lunatic who some times comes to the store, he is a well known crook and he usually hangs around the entrance just looking for an opportunity to run in and steal some beer, so we are told to tell him to leave whenever we see him. Which is a hassle as he is out of his fucking mind, and everytime I do it (it has been like 15 times now) he has told me he was going to find out where I live and cut my throat open, that's always nice.

So moral of this story; don't work at a grocery store, not even as a summer job it is absolute shit and people treat you like garbage.

#48 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

WHAT THE FUCK?! NO SALT SHAKERS?! 
And you call that a theater, pfffft. 

Seriously though that is some weird shit to get so worked up over. 
Most interesting customer I've had to deal with back at my old job(helped in a bar) was a WWII veteran. 
He had some interesting stories that I couldn't even do any justice writing down because I would mix them up, but every weekend he would be there and tell them to people, and especially me because hey, bartenders have to listen to everything you say. At first I just thought he was lying about everything and he actually might've been lying about a lot of the stuff he said happened to him and his friends but he was good at making up stories if that was the case. He was a nice guy

#49 Posted by 2xtreme (38 posts) -

@laserbolts: So did that guy really end up having to pay the 14000$ bill?

This happened to a coworker when I was working. This client wanted to drink his own bottle of wine in the restaurant, which is illegal to do where I live. So the waiter tried explaining that he couldn't do that. For some reason, the client decided that it would be a good idea to empty the bottle of wine under the table. The waiter was pretty pissed and I don't blame him. Who likes to mop a bottle of wine?

I don't understand some people.

#50 Posted by Turambar (6885 posts) -

I work as a manager for a Gordmans. This didn't happen to me, but rather to one of the floor associates during one of my shift.

A customer approached him and asked him to order Chinese food for him. Note: we are in a mall, and there is a Chinese food place at the food court. The fact that the guy got angry when the associate refused his absurd request takes the cake.