#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Not making this up.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

So in the last two years Keurig has become a big thing among people looking for convenient fast ways to make coffee. And unsurprisingly a 3rd party market of refill pods that allow you to bypass the expensive refills has also emerged well now apparently the makers of Keurig are pissed and going to try to block out this 3rd party market.

Now, obviously any of us who have common sense don't use Keurig for our coffee but still this is mega dumb and almost in a way hilarious.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I think the bigger story here is that Keurig has invented digital coffee.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -

My brother actually has a Keurig. I have no idea how good the coffee it makes actually is. The only pods I've used in it are for green tea, which anything capable of heating water could make.

#4 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

CRM. Coffee Refills Management.

#5 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

Will the coffee require an online connection to brew?

#6 Edited by Andorski (5240 posts) -

@hailinel said:

My brother actually has a Keurig. I have no idea how good the coffee it makes actually is. The only pods I've used in it are for green tea, which anything capable of heating water could make.

It's Starbucks-grade coffee. If you actually like coffee, you won't like Keurig. It's value is in how quick and easy it is to use it.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -

@andorski said:

@hailinel said:

It's Starbucks-grade coffee. If you actually like coffee, you won't like Keurig. It's value is in how quick and easy it is to use it.

I, uh, like Starbucks.

#8 Edited by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

I don't see it being dumb. Their plan for the machine to make money was going to be due to people buying their pods. If no one buys their pods, then what's the point? Their name is big enough and from what I have seen, their higher-end products are pretty damn nice that this will probably work in their favor.

I would probably own one of those if I didn't stop drinking coffee due to caffeine headaches on weekends. Although, probably not since I would normally drink a pot of coffee through out the day.

#9 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@tycobb said:

I don't see it being dumb. Their plan for the machine to make money was going to be due to people buying their pods. If no one buys their pods, then what's the point?

Wasn't that essentially the same business model that Kodak used?

#10 Posted by Vuud (1948 posts) -

The War Against the Machines, Butlerian Jihad, whatever you want to call it, inches closer every day.

#11 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

@tycobb said:

I don't see it being dumb. Their plan for the machine to make money was going to be due to people buying their pods. If no one buys their pods, then what's the point?

Wasn't that essentially the same business model that Kodak used?

Not sure about Kodak, but it wreaks of Polaroid.

#12 Posted by Sinusoidal (1383 posts) -

@vuud said:

The War Against the Machines, Butlerian Jihad, whatever you want to call it, inches closer every day.

Kindly never refer to the works of Brian Herbert again, even in jest, please. Thank you.

#13 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

I use a Keurig coffee maker almost daily (the coffee is perfectly fine, don't let the Will Smiths of the world scare you) and I have never even heard of these reusable pods. Maybe these things are more popular than I'm aware of but as far as I can tell, most people I know just buy the normal pods.

#14 Posted by sqrabbit (107 posts) -

They could just lower the prices to stay competitive. So much greed. F shareholders.

#15 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -

Good thing I don't drink weird future space coffee. The regular kinds fine for me. That's really crazy though.

#16 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Well, that's dumb. Do we not get something in return for losing the right to fill coffee into whatever we want?

Perhaps that something in return is choosing an alternative brand that doesn't use such a lame business model.

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11589 posts) -

I found one of those machines in an Audi dealership once, which probably says all you need to know.

#18 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

That is so unnecessary. Greed is killing technology.

#19 Edited by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I found one of those machines in an Audi dealership once, which probably says all you need to know.

About what? You or the coffee?

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11589 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

About what? You or the coffee?

For the record, I was not buying an Audi or drinking coffee.

#22 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

@andorski said:

@hailinel said:

As someone that does not drink Coffee, I was under the impression that Starbucks is considered good/above average.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

@andorski said:

@hailinel said:

As someone that does not drink Coffee, I was under the impression that Starbucks is considered good/above average.

Coffee snobs are a pretty amusing sort of people and there are plenty of them out there.

#24 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

Printers have been doing this the last few years, I bought a new Samsung printer/copier last year and I haven't been about to find a reliable source for toner for it; it was $600 and it's sitting in a closet now replaced by a cheaper Canon that takes aftermarket toner.

#25 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

you can make pretty damn good coffee with an aeropress with maybe a couple minutes of extra effort....

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

I've had two keurig machines in the last 2 years, both broke in different ways. Pieces of shit.

#27 Edited by MannyMAR (424 posts) -

And that is why I use one of these...

#28 Posted by tourgen (4461 posts) -

Yeah I worked for a company that did similar things. build in some proprietary circuitry into replaceable modules which would allow the rest of the equipment to sense if the module was OEM or not. Not consumer goods, but still annoyed the end customer. Look for much more of this to happen in the future.

#29 Edited by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

I buy my coffee makers for the exclusives.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I tried a cup of coffee made from it once and it was the most bitter awful thing in the world. I will stick to my two spoonfuls of maxwell house.