Ipad Mini or Ipad 4?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so im really trying to decide if I want the Ipad Mini or a Ipad 4. First, I should note what my intended purpose and uses for the iPad will be:

Netflicks streaming

Youtube

Flipboard

Comixology

Web Browsing

Itunes tv shows and movies

Email

Different productivity apps. (I really want to use the Ipad to help me organize my life better and my finances and etc.)

Occasional games (but im not a huge mobile gamer.)

Now, I should say that I did spend about 45 minutes at a target today comparing the Ipad mini and Ipad 4 display models and heres what I thought:

I didnt really notice a big difference in video image quality

I did notice a noticeable quality difference in text.

I enjoyed holding the mini alot more.

Youtube I liked both about equaly.

while the text was noticeably better on the ipad 4 when side by side, I did get used to it on the mini after a few seconds or so and its perfectly livable.

I thought the performance on the mini was perfectly fine when it came to home screen nevigation and loading of apps, but loading on apps was a bit faster on the 4. however, not a deal breaker at all on the mini.

I tested about as much as I could on the display units, but obviously I couldnt tell how digital comics or kindle is going to fair on the mini because those apps werent installed on the test units. so that remains a big question mark how the mini handles those. I already know ipad 4 handles those well.

Really, all things considered im leaning towards the mini. but the fact that I wasnt able to test digital comics and the kindle app concerns me on how the mini handles those. I do have a kindle 4th gen though, so I dont really need the Ipad for that. Im more worried about how comixology is rendered on it.

I should also note that I can ask for the Mini for christmas, but it will be my only gift for the year. I dont care about that, I just care about if its better to ask for a Mini or ask for a Kindle Paperwhite and some other things. But honestly I cant really think of other things. And I already have a Kindle 4, it just dosent have a light like the paperwhite does. Which was the big reason I wanted the paperwhite.

So what do you guys think?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

More of a personal preference really. If it was me I would get an iPad 4. I want that giant ass screen.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

iPad 3 / 4

It's much better at web browsing because of the higher resolution, you can pretty much use portrait all the time and the text is still readable. Also better for comics too.

The screen on the mini is pretty bad by today's standards. (Mini is 1024x768, the 3 and 4 are 2048x1536) I would sell the Kindle 4 and get a Paperwhite with an iPad 4. You could do all your reading on the iPad Mini but it's still no replacement for e-ink.

Edit: I still don't know why people say you can't use the iPad 2, 3 or 4 with one hand comfortably, I have arms as thin as paper but I manage with it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

I don't see why people would want an iPad mini over a normal iPad, bigger is better bitches!

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I'd go iPad 4. Looking at the specs an iPad mini seems identical to the iPad 2.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

I plan on picking up an iPad Mini later this month. Being able to use the device comfortably with one hand, the longer battery life, and it being much easier to take places, makes it an easy choice for me.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

DUDE. iPAD 4.

I went to an Apple store during a mall run to check out the new stuff. The iPhone 5 and touches look awkward with the new length, but whatever. However, that mini screen looks like shit. Whatever the technical aspects of it are (HD or not HD) the layman's term for it is "shit". Avoid at all costs.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sooty

@SpikeSpiegel said:

I plan on picking up an iPad Mini later this month. Being able to use the device comfortably with one hand, the longer battery life, and it being much easier to take places, makes it an easy choice for me.

It doesn't have longer battery life than an iPad 2 or 4, it slightly beats out the 3. (slightly meaning less than an hour's difference)

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By uhtaree

I'm a bit of an Apple hater but I've kicked around the idea of getting one anyway. If I ever do, I'm gonna get the big ass one because I want it as a game platform for the number of notable exclusives. I've a got a 7" nexus and it does everything I want outside of iOS games and is cheaper.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Sooty said:

@SpikeSpiegel said:

It doesn't have longer battery life than an iPad 2 or 4, it slightly beats out the 3. (slightly meaning less than an hour's difference)

You're right! I am mistaken.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

iPad mini isn't cheap enough to consider over the iPad 4. Plus, if you're using netflix, bigger screen is always a plus.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

iPad 4, hands down. I'm not even a big fan of the iPad 4, but it's very obvious that the iPad 4 is much more worth it than the iPad mini, especially for what you're talking about using it for. Don't get a small-sized iPad 2; get the iPad 4.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImaTreee

iPad 4, IMO the mini is too overpriced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:

iPad 3 / 4

It's much better at web browsing because of the higher resolution, you can pretty much use portrait all the time and the text is still readable. Also better for comics too.

The screen on the mini is pretty bad by today's standards. (Mini is 1024x768, the 3 and 4 are 2048x1536) I would sell the Kindle 4 and get a Paperwhite with an iPad 4. You could do all your reading on the iPad Mini but it's still no replacement for e-ink.

Edit: I still don't know why people say you can't use the iPad 2, 3 or 4 with one hand comfortably, I have arms as thin as paper but I manage with it.

The screen isn't that bad. Sure it seems like the iPad 3/4 have almost twice the resolution - but the screen on the mini is also smaller, so it's not as terrible as you would think.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword

I actualy didnt mind the screen on the Ipad mini that much. its only when I put it side by side with a ipad 4 did I notice anything.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty

@Castermhief117 said:

@Sooty said:

iPad 3 / 4

The screen isn't that bad. Sure it seems like the iPad 3/4 have almost twice the resolution - but the screen on the mini is also smaller, so it's not as terrible as you would think.

I really gotta disagree, it's a night and day difference for me coming from a Galaxy SIII and iPad 3.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, I'd probably get a mini if I wanted an iPad and already had a laptop (which I do) but there's no way in hell I'd consider going from the screen of the 3 & 4 down to a mini now.

@Raven_Sword said:

I actualy didnt mind the screen on the Ipad mini that much. its only when I put it side by side with a ipad 4 did I notice anything.

Video playback and web browsing is where it really stands out, well that and text in general.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donkeycow

The full sized iPad is already pretty portable, i'd say that the bigger higher res screen is definitely the way to go.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By roborobb

100% iPad 4