iPhone mainly for internet-use

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am pondering whether to get an iPhone, I mainly want to use it for internet mainly stuff for email, Twitter, web-browsing, GPS etc. I don't use the calling function hardly ever so would it be worth it to go for the iPhone?

Also does anyone else use the iPhone for mainly internet related things?

I currently have the HTC Sensation which is getting pretty old and the headphone jack is broken with audio cuts.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nekroskop

Get an Samsung Galaxy S3 off contract contract or used. Much cheaper and with twice the functionality.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Most of my iPhone use consists of internet-related things.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Safari is still the best web browser on phones. My only issue with browsing the web on iPhone is that I consider the iPhone screen to be too small.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I use my iPhone for mainly internet related things, but given the choice I would opt for a cheaper phone instead. Some Android phones go down to half an iPhone's price while sacrificing the functionality that wouldn't matter for this sort of use. The iPhone battery doesn't last very long on 3G either.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@andorski said:

Safari is still the best web browser on phones. My only issue with browsing the web on iPhone is that I consider the iPhone screen to be too small.

You think so? I've taken a real liking to Chrome on my iPad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chobobot said:

I am pondering whether to get an iPhone, I mainly want to use it for internet mainly stuff for email, Twitter, web-browsing, GPS etc. I don't use the calling function hardly ever so would it be worth it to go for the iPhone?

I currently have the HTC Sensation which is getting pretty old and the headphone jack is broken with audio cuts.

I have a Sensation as well... and it more than competently does everything you want to do with it.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann said:

@chobobot said:

I have a Sensation as well... and it more than competently does everything you want to do with it.

The only problem is the audio jack is not working properly, the audio keeps cutting out when I listen to music.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Sure. Get an I phone. I have one and It's great for mainly Internet related things.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andorski

@apparatus_unearth said:

@andorski said:

You think so? I've taken a real liking to Chrome on my iPad.

On iPhone I believe Chrome (and all other browser apps) are just Safari with a different UI overlay. On both my iPhone and iPad I've had Chrome crash on sites like Polygon and Giant Bomb (e.g. sites with a lot of dynamic features), whereas Safari works reliably. Whatever Google is doing in making its own browser UI is causing the whole app to shut down when a website automatically loads more content after getting to the bottom of a page or when there are multiple embedded videos.

Also, Chrome has an issue where if you have multiple tabs open and you switch between them, the app would auto-refresh pages. So if I had a song playing on one tab and opened up another tab, the webpage playing the music would refresh after some memory limitation was reached. The newest Chrome update might have resolved this issue though. I'm actually testing it right now with the lasted UPF video to see if it auto-refreshes.

[edit] Nope, Chrome still auto-refreshes. It doesn't seem to crash as much though. Won't be able to determine any real app stability improvement though until I've used it for a couple of weeks.

Bruksberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chobobot said:

It will be fine, you've found out like most people, directly calling people is only necessary in a small number of cases.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review They did a review, pretty impressive piece of hardware, its mobile core2duo processor in a phone now...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

iPhone is great for internet in my experience. I also have an HTC which is pretty terrible compared.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I use a laptop for internet because internet is expensive, small and slow on iPhones. <_<

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monetarydread

If all you are going to do is internet stuff then look into an Android. If you plan on playing games on your phone, then get an iPhone. I have an iPhone and feel that it is great for using internet services, but sometimes I wish I could just plug in a USB cable and transfer files without iTunes.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iPhone is very good for eMails, but if you want to only use internet features (not the communication features) buy an iPad 5 + 4G

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

I think Android has this thing called a "Phablet" ? It's a mix between a phone and a tablet. Better put, I feel it's too small to be a tablet and too big for a phone. It's kind of awkward experience all around. But I guess it would be good for the internet related stuff.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nekroskop said:

Get an Samsung Galaxy S3 off contract contract or used. Much cheaper and with twice the functionality.

If you want to get an Android phone get an HTC One or something, or a Nexus phone. Never buy a Galaxy S phone.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want an iphone buy one. Get the latest one though since the older ones are running not so great right now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snail

@nekroskop said:

@snail: Why?

I find them to be cluttered with clunky, gimmicky, unusable functionality (the eye-tracking-scrolling feature for example, which is annoying to use). On top of that they also feel clunky overall, with frame drops that occasionally make scrolling through the homescreen an awkward slideshow - even when seemingly, not much is running in the background (or anything at all in some cases).

They lack polish, which is something I want from a 500$+ product. An HTC One looks and feels elegant, as do iPhones, Nexus phones, and Lumias. Galaxy S phones don't, in my experience. There's no good reason to go with a Galaxy S 4 over an HTC One, for instance.

On top of that, the Samsung custom Android UI is ugly. It feels as dated as Windows XP's design.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Nexus 4 is extremely cheap at the moment (if it's still in stock in your country) and will happily do everything you want it to. For your uses, I would say spending iPhone money is way over the top.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: Hah, should I take this to mean you agree?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers