• 88 results
#51 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

I thought the Mamdarin reveal was really well done and easily the best aspect of the movie. That being said, LORDY did characters make really dumb decisions in that film. For instance, Killian's whole "let's give Pepper a bunch of Extremis in the hope that it kills her" was a really dumb gamble, since if it didn't kill her, it would have given her all the same superpowers that he had. Which it did. And he died. Idiot.

#52 Edited by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

I thought the Mamdarin reveal was really well done and easily the best aspect of the movie. That being said, LORDY did characters make really dumb decisions in that film. For instance, Killian's whole "let's give Pepper a bunch of Extremis in the hope that it kills her" was a really dumb gamble, since if it didn't kill her, it would have given her all the same superpowers that he had. Which it did. And he died. Idiot.

#53 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

It had a totally different tone than any of the other marvel movies in my opinion. Where all the other Marvel Universe movies were definitely kid friendly, something I wouldn't mind taking a child to see, this movie was the first one where I felt it was aimed more at children. I don't have a problem with it I mean it's a super hero movie made by Disney but if this is the way the rest of them will be leading up to and including the next avengers I just won't have any interest in seeing them.

#55 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

@andorski said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

I was a little disappointed for the most part. There was some really funny smart dialogue and I kinda liked how he spent a lot of the movie not in the suit, was interesting to see him deal with that. The plot was kinda nonsense though. Things were set up and then went nowhere. The anxiety attacks he was having just felt like a way to tie the movie into Avengers it didn't really go anywhere. I dunno still better then 2 I enjoyed it but it felt like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I thought they used his anxiety attack to good use for the most part. His PTSD from the Avengers is the catalyst that had him constantly creating Iron Man Suits. The Iron Man armor became his dependency. This was best shown in the scene where he and Rhodie are at the restaurant and Tony freaks out when one of the kids brings up what happened to him in New York. Right when the fear of the unknown enemy is triggered, the first thing he does is run straight into his Iron Man suit.

I really love this analysis of Tony Stark's psyche in the movie. It seems a lot of people who saw it had it go completely over their heads as well.

#56 Edited by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

I thought it was bad, I felt the stuff with the Mandarin was really dumb. He is such a good villain so why waste him, like this? They should have saved him for another movie. I don't' know how to explain it but I just didn't like it, I will say that Ben Kingsley was the best part of the movie even though I didn't like what they did with the villain.

#57 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

I thought it was bad, I felt the stuff with the Mandarin was really dumb. He is such a good villain so why waste him, like this? They should have saved him for another movie. I don't' know how to explain it but I just didn't like it, I will say that Ben Kingsley was the best part of the movie even though I didn't like what they did with the villain.

#58 Edited by Voxus (336 posts) -

Guy Pierce is a goddamn shapeshifter.

#59 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

I loved that it was entirely divorced from Shield and other Avengers, that really hurt the last one in my opinion. I also feel like Guy Pearce is the first legitimate villain they've done in this entire series. Plus destroying the Iron Man suits and the mansion actually makes it seem like they're willing to do meaningful things in this universe without worrying about the repercussions, it creates an interesting change which they seemed unwilling to do in the last one. Though I do agree that they leaned a little too heavily into the comedy, Tony ignoring his spare armor until the movies almost over was a pretty big plot hole, and that last action scene, while totally awesome, felt like Disney trying to sell some toys.

I'm interested to see what they do next with this. I wonder if Shane Black intends to do the fourth one as well, because if so, I think I'd be okay with that.

#60 Posted by Voxus (336 posts) -

Guy Pierce is a goddamn shapeshifter.

#61 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

If you stuck around after the credits...

"Tony Stark will return"

#62 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I liked it almost on par with the first movie. Didn't like that the armors were really flimsy and broke off so easily though and what a waste of potential with mandarin being who it was, guess there won't be any magic rings. Seems like they're fast forwarding the movie version to be closer to the comic version.

#63 Edited by Quarters (1702 posts) -

I thought it was the best out of the three. Awesome movie. And I didn't think the ending was sudden at all. It made sense with what his character was going through, and proved that he wasn't just a man in a can anymore. He's come a long way from getting denied at the end of Iron Man 2. Also, I actually really enjoyed the Mandarin stuff. Great finale.

#65 Posted by StarvingGamer (8237 posts) -
@andorski said:

The underground storage with all the extra Iron Man suits that were used in the last battle. This is a logical story problem that I have with the movie. Once Tony Stark was able to repower Jarvis in his Mk. 42, why didn't he have one of the dozens of other working suits sent to him so that he can fly into Miami and bust into Aldrich's mansion to get the Manderin?

Tony ignoring his spare armor until the movies almost over was a pretty big plot hole.

They directly address this somewhere near the end when Tony asks Jarvis about clearing the cellar and Jarvis says something about the cranes being in position. He couldn't access his armors sooner because they were buried beneath the rubble.

Killian's whole "let's give Pepper a bunch of Extremis in the hope that it kills her" was a really dumb gamble.

He wasn't giving it to kill her. He wanted her to ascend and become a suitable queen of sorts. Maybe he figured once she rose above humanity like he did, her adjusted perspective would make her fall for him or something.

#66 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

I really liked the movie. I especially loved the plot twist with Kingsley and Pearce. I didn't call the bait and switch (Pearce being the real Mandarin) but I did figure out pretty early that the Kingsley character wasn't the real menace/threat in the film. Even so, I really liked how Real Mandarin fucked everyone and everything up. First villain that really gave Stark a run for his money and led to some rather imaginative and well shot action scenes.

If I had any complaints, I think my only complaint is that in the evolution of the Iron Man suit it seems the franchise has totally skipped over the silver centurion. That's the armour I grew up reading/seeing so naturally it's my favourite.

Hopefully Avengers 2 will rectify that niggling issue for me.

#67 Posted by ozzdog12 (861 posts) -

@scottp: More importantly, how they just threw away the Mandarin. Really, it was better than IM2, but it still wasnt a very good movie. Especially, if oyu actually read comics. Like it really aggravates me. Mandarin is to Iron Man what Joker is to Batman.

#68 Edited by TheStandardToaster (131 posts) -

I think the problem going forward with all of these single hero movies is that after the avengers, you could say why couldn't he call up the hulk or captain america to help him out. Why was there no mention of SHIELD at all? Kidnapping of the president would like a thing SHIELD would be helping with. Still really a great movie. Its my 2nd favorite marvel movie.

#69 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11734 posts) -

The Mandarin reveal was pretty great. I have to say that they really didn't need Tony Stark fighting against crazy inferno super soldiers if he was out of his suit. I would go as far as to call the whole extremis thing kind of corny, but it's always the constant quipping that makes Iron Man so enjoyable.

#70 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I thought it was good, but not great. I had a few problems with the movie that made it stop a little short of being excelellent. I thought the twist was great since Mandarin is a bit of a silly character but I kept thinking, wait, there's got to be a bigger villian behind the scenes right? right? But no, it was just Aldrich Killian who turned out to be a pretty weak villian overall. It was also pretty stupid when he started to breath fire? Why not just give us fing fang foom or something?

But other than that, it was a pretty solid movie with some great action set pieces and I appreciated how Pepper and Tony developed as characters. It's going to be pretty interesting to see how Tony will react to all of the Thanos and alien nonsense that'll probably be in the avengers 2 since he had panic attacks about the Chitauri in this one.

#72 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

But no, it was just Aldrich Killian who turned out to be a pretty weak villian overall.

I thought he was the best villain in the films to date. Seeing him battle Iron Man and having him just tear through the armors was something that neither Whiplash nor Iron Monger could do. Although if they would have had a twist whereby he actually became MODOK that would have been equally great.

#73 Edited by 6n00bkilla9 (152 posts) -

wow another horrible Iron Man movie wish someone could actually make one involving a plot i feel like no one making these movies have heard the word plot before or emotion but caring about characters and things actually having a story is important. also avengers was so bad for this reason too. i don't know whats wrong with people this and avengers are so bad. i know people didn't like rises but at least you can say that movie had a plot and a purpose and i loved it but wow you can really tell someone put their heart into that movie. my god this movie is so terrible and no one i was with liked it and that included a 16 , 17 and 23 year old that all LOVED the first Iron Man. wow i am sorry i just hate so much that two times or 3 times if you include the avengers they have made such terrible movies I would rather watch the star wars prequels than this are those are all terrible!!!!!

But my god just make demon in a bottle and i will be so happy make that damn movie it was so perfect because the ptsd would have caused the drinking etc. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

STOP RUINING MOVIES!!!!

#75 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@mrsignerman44 said:

But no, it was just Aldrich Killian who turned out to be a pretty weak villian overall.

I thought he was the best villain in the films to date. Seeing him battle Iron Man and having him just tear through the armors was something that neither Whiplash nor Iron Monger could do. Although if they would have had a twist whereby he actually became MODOK that would have been equally great.

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I really enjoyed the Iron Monger fight because of how he basically towers over Iron Man, it was a really well directed battle sequence overall and made for a pretty great end fight. Killian however was pretty dumb because he was just a dude with some bad dragon tattoos. His powers were kind of cool and Tony did have some difficulty fighting him but I don't know, he just didn't seem like a great villian.

But as you said, if he became MODOK, wow that would've been an awesome ending fight.

#76 Posted by LiquidPrince (15947 posts) -

Really enjoyed the movie. Easily the best of the 3. I just realized that my favorite line from the trailer wasn't even in the actual movie though. "Live an empty life, or die a meaningful death."

@blueduck said:

It had a totally different tone than any of the other marvel movies in my opinion. Where all the other Marvel Universe movies were definitely kid friendly, something I wouldn't mind taking a child to see, this movie was the first one where I felt it was aimed more at children. I don't have a problem with it I mean it's a super hero movie made by Disney but if this is the way the rest of them will be leading up to and including the next avengers I just won't have any interest in seeing them.

This is a psychological thing... It was easily the most violent of the three Iron Man movies and you actually think it was more kid friendly. There were impalings and limb removal and stabbings and point blank killings and you say this was more kid friendly.

#77 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

Really enjoyed the movie. Easily the best of the 3. I just realized that my favorite line from the trailer wasn't even in the actual movie though. "Live an empty life, or die a meaningful death."

@blueduck said:

This is a psychological thing... It was easily the most violent of the three Iron Man movies and you actually think it was more kid friendly. There were impalings and limb removal and stabbings and point blank killings and you say this was more kid friendly.

Consider - most parents in the 80s thought Robocop was perfectly fine for their children to see.

#78 Posted by BaconGames (3415 posts) -

@6n00bkilla9 said:

wow another horrible Iron Man movie wish someone could actually make one involving a plot i feel like no one making these movies have heard the word plot before or emotion but caring about characters and things actually having a story is important. also avengers was so bad for this reason too. i don't know whats wrong with people this and avengers are so bad. i know people didn't like rises but at least you can say that movie had a plot and a purpose and i loved it but wow you can really tell someone put their heart into that movie. my god this movie is so terrible and no one i was with liked it and that included a 16 , 17 and 23 year old that all LOVED the first Iron Man. wow i am sorry i just hate so much that two times or 3 times if you include the avengers they have made such terrible movies I would rather watch the star wars prequels than this are those are all terrible!!!!!

But my god just make demon in a bottle and i will be so happy make that damn movie it was so perfect because the ptsd would have caused the drinking etc. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

STOP RUINING MOVIES!!!!

This is a work of art.

#79 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

Aldrich Killian who turned out to be a pretty weak villian overall. It was also pretty stupid when he started to breath fire? Why not just give us fing fang foom or something?

I thought it was pretty clear that he was supposed to be an homage to Fing Fang Foom. He breathes fire, is closely associated with the Mandarin, and has those dragon tattoos. There was no way were going to actually get a magic space dragon in the movie.

#80 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Just got back from seeing it. The lack of AC/DC was noticeable, and while I did not see the Mandarin twist coming at all and was surprised by it, I was a little bummed that it was just Guy Pearce. I figured there'd be 2 Ben Kingsleys running around, or one was a projection or something. Other than that, I'd place it either as good as the first Iron Man or a little bit better. The first two Iron Man movies both had sub-par final battles, so I was glad this one was as bombastic as it was.

#81 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

It was a bad movie.

#82 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

I saw the movie and loved it. I feel like every time a new popular movie comes out a ton of people call it "terrible", if people think this is a terrible movie maybe a comic book movie is not their thing. I mean I can see not caring for it, or thinking it is not as good as the others, but saying it is terrible is a pretty big statement.

#83 Edited by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

I thought it was better than the second one and about equal to the first one. They're just very different movies. I definitely had some problems with parts of it, but nothing the made me think it was bad or disappointing.

I must say Gwyneth Paltrow had some pretty sexy looking abs.

WHAT!?

#84 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1786 posts) -

I thought the decision to give Pepper Extremis is that it would make her life dependent on Tony Stark perfecting the formula, a formula he massively improved while drunk one night in Switzerland 13 years before the event of the movie. I mean... there was a lot of setup and explanation on that particular subject.

Overall, I really liked the movie. I'm amazed at the hate that it's getting here.

#85 Posted by LosDub (198 posts) -

wonder what brand of Fire Proof clothing they was wearing

#86 Edited by Baillie (4168 posts) -

Wow, the people complaining about this film need to realise there is a difference to comic books and movies. The mandarin is dumb, fin fang foom is dumb. YOU'RE DUMB.

#87 Edited by 6n00bkilla9 (152 posts) -

In an interview with Comic Book Movie, Black explained there is one story he really wanted to tell but was told that it was not going to happen.

“The drinking. Even if you look at the websites of the mommy bloggers they say, you know, 'Watch out, mom's! Tony drinks in this movie!' It's amazing. There's one or two scenes in this movie where he picks up a drink and it'll be in those blogs...I think we were just told by the studio that we should probably paint Tony Stark as being kind of an industrialist and a crazy guy, or even a bad guy at some points, but the Demon in a Bottle stuff of him being an alcoholic wouldn't really fly. I don't blame that.”

#88 Edited by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Good film & been happy with the 3 Iron man films so far. As for the spoilers, won't spoil it here, but he's an inventor/mechanic so quite easy to build more things.

#89 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@6n00bkilla9 said:

STOP RUINING MOVIES!!!!

This is a work of art.

There is a disturbing trend of people that believe the chris nolan batman movies to be bulletproof and that if any comic book movie isn't the exact same tone & style of the Dark Knight they are immediately complete garbage and they feel the need to shit on every aspect of the offending movie to prove their are superior to others for liking the Dark Knight more.

It's just pathetic.

#90 Edited by 6n00bkilla9 (152 posts) -

@benny sorry i just like movies with stories i know that is a lot to ask for but your right i am pathetic. did you see the part where i loved iron man 1 because it had a story.i guess you didn't. just because things blow up doesn't make it a good comic book movie. great comics have great stories. sorry i guess.

#91 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:
@mrsignerman44 said:

Aldrich Killian who turned out to be a pretty weak villian overall. It was also pretty stupid when he started to breath fire? Why not just give us fing fang foom or something?

I thought it was pretty clear that he was supposed to be an homage to Fing Fang Foom. He breathes fire, is closely associated with the Mandarin, and has those dragon tattoos. There was no way were going to actually get a magic space dragon in the movie.

Oh no, he was definitely channeling Fing Fang Foom, which is why I thought they should've gone all out and just given us Fing Fang Foom. It could've actually fit the story considering Tony's new fear of the supernatural/ethereal. Not only that but as Killian said in the film "Ever since the guy with the hammer fell out of the sky,subtlety kind of went out the window." so something as ridiculous as a magic space dragon could have actually worked.

#92 Posted by DefaultProphet (459 posts) -

@andorski said:

1. The underground storage with all the extra Iron Man suits that were used in the last battle. This is a logical story problem that I have with the movie. Once Tony Stark was able to repower Jarvis in his Mk. 42, why didn't he have one of the dozens of other working suits sent to him so that he can fly into Miami and bust into Aldrich's mansion to get the Manderin?

Pretty sure when he repowers Jarvis at that point, Jarvis says that a crane(to clear the rubble that was on top of the storage area) had just arrived.

#93 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Everything that needs to be said about IM3:

The end should've been the middle. He should've lost and had to make an escape. The whole set-up for the final fight should have been longer. He should've had to deal with the panic attacks and solve that shit, then fix the suit, then go back for a final confrontation. The entirety of time spanned in the movie should've been longer than 3 days to a week. There's just so much shit they threw in there that didn't actually relate to the plot, just to say "it happened", and then never tied it into the story or resolved it.

DEFINITELY shouldn't have had the technology to wrap up the whole movie from the beginning. "I had the ability to end this the whole time, but I didn't want to activate it for reasons known only to myself". Like, if nothing else, why the fuck wouldn't you activate it during the helicopter attack? Pepper almost died! You almost died!!! Which brings back to why that fight should have been the middle of the movie, and why he should have lost, so he could come back with that NEW tech, instead of having it all along.

There was a chance to actually talk about the PTSD and whatnot, but it never got mentioned. Just climactic battle, and then go back without having to actually deal with it. The movie should've been longer.

Overall extremely disjointed and meandering. Whoever the director is had no fucking clue how to handle the movie, or even what it was supposed to be about. Is it about Tony overcoming his demons? Nope. First, he never overcomes the PTSD/panic attacks anyways, but since it didn't factor into the last 15 minutes, we have no idea if it's even still an issue or not. Second, he doesn't overcome the Mandarin (the real guy, whatever the fuck his name is with extremis) at all, because Pepper's the one who takes the dude out. Third, the issue with him constantly tinkering with suits is thrown into that last 5-minute rush to wrap everything up so they could get to credits, in the most unsatisfying way I could possibly think of, with no set-up or real motivation for his action given to us, except that he's "doing it for Pepper".

Overall the movie feels like whoever was in charge had absolutely no fucking vision whatsoever of what they wanted it to be. It was shockingly similar to a shitty AAA video game; big ideas, big budget, big production values, but it never congeals into something anywhere near its full potential, and ends up getting a 6 on GameSpot and onto the bargain bin shelf in 2 months. I can give movies a pass on this because they don't have the added gameplay/fun element that just sucks when the game is mediocre, but goddamn man, there could've been so much more to this movie.

#94 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Also, the lack of faith to the comics is in no way related to why this wasn't the best Iron Man movie. It just didn't follow good storytelling practices in general, regardless of its accuracy to the source material. I don't mind them taking as many liberties as they want. Go all-out ham egg and cheese on that to make it what it needs to be for a good movie, but goddammit, if you're going to do that, make it an amazing movie.

Avengers may have not been great for the first half, but the way they wrapped up everything was well beyond good enough to make up for all its faults. If you're not going to nail the beginning, make damn sure you nail the ending, so that the audience doesn't leave the movie with a sour taste that's going to seep into their memories of the rest of the movie, even if you've made the best beginning and middle of all time. And boy was that ending a crock of shit.

#95 Edited by steelerzfan101 (271 posts) -

I was completely satisfied with the movie, even though I can see where people would hate it. I thought the ending was great, I don't know why, I just thought it wrapped everything up pretty well (even though there is more to come!). If I had one complaint, I would say that the movie was a little too predictable...but that is such a minor complaint that it pretty much doesn't matter.

#96 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I was disappointed by the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow is still alive.

#97 Edited by TheHT (11250 posts) -

I really liked it. Bit weird how they wrap things up at the end. "And then I saved Pepper and then I got myself fixed". I see where they were coming from, with the whole Stark became obsessed with the suits, saw them as a part of himself, got rid of them to break free from that attachment and diverted his efforts to healing himself rather than just making more suits, but it was presented as such an after-thought.

Not having much knowledge of and connection with the comics, the whole Mandarin thing was fine by me. I was hoping that at some point Ben Kingsley was still the real Mandarin and would come out by the end as something less hokey, but the Killian reveal was alright. I think it would've been better if he didn't scream "I'M THE MANDARIN" and just left it at "you wanted the Mandarin" or even followed it with "you know who I am", but it's fine and works nicely when you compare it to all the "I'M IRON MAN" shit.

The Killian fight came pretty close to outdoing the Iron Monger fight, but that first movie was so damn good. Whiplash was forgettable. When I think Iron-Man 2 I think Black Widow and, well, that's mostly it. I did really enjoy Pepper kicking Killian's ass, though after that i'm not sure why she'd want to be healed. I suppose the risk of exploding violently and vaporizing anyone around you would do it.

I also really liked that armor that split apart and knocked all those extremis goons down. Jarvis shoud've totally kept it for himself.

@evilnights said:
@dagbiker said:

In what movie does he fight Captain America?

None of them?

They fought in the Avengers movie. Nope, wait, nevermind, that was Thor and Iron Man. Him and Cap just got snarky and almost fought in the Avengers.

@familyphotoshoot said:
@mrsignerman44 said:

Best save that for phase 3 after we've seen a gun-totting space racoon.

#98 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

It was a really fun movie, but for some reason, stupid plotholes and things bothered me WAY more than they should have.

- Why didn't tony have any other suits available? One stashed away somewhere else in case of emergency. Why'd he wait till the end of the movie to call them in? Cus stuff was above it? Really, he didn't have a backdoor? Ugh.

- Why the fuck was tony wearing an experimental prototype suit that he KNEW wasn't combat ready when he just called out a terrorist on national TV. Why wasn't he wearing a good suit? He had like 30-50 perfectly good suits in his basement and he picks the shitty new one that barely works to pick a fight in? Did tony stark suddenly become retarded?

- Why wasn't SHIELD or at the very least Captain America called in when there was a terorrist targeting the GOD DAMN PRESIDENT. You'd think Captain America would be first to go "holy shit gotta protect the president!".

- If guy pierce hacked into Warmachine he had access to tony's wifi and could hack all the ironman suits. Why would tony have self destructs in all his suits, that can be triggered WIRELESSLY. Seems pretty god damn stupid. Why didnt guy pierce just hack it and blow them up himself?

-What was the point of the "file". Why did they want it so bad? It didn't reveal anything. They traced them to miami, so the file was completely and utterly pointless. Rendering the entire second act of the movie pretty pointless as well. He never had to go to Tennessee, He never needed the file.

If it wasn't for Robert Downy Jr. I'd honestly say this would be a BAD movie, like transformers bad. Like that scene with the newsvan fanboy guy. It went on for way too long and was so painfully unfunny. How did that scene not get cut? Blah.